Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 3:10 PM
Most disappointing feature from this expansion!
It's the ZOMBIE. Seriously, EA, I highly expected that life form to be fascinatingly gruesome, the moaning, the crawling out of graves, the deadly and infectious bite, yet it turned out to be ridiculous and boring! EA dumbed the thing down to a status lesser than a proper life form, seeing that they are NOT included in CAS. Even ghosts and genies can be created, but zombies can't be.
Also, the "zombieness" in this game is nothing than a temporary status, a kind of ailment or so. I tried to bring upon a zombie apocalypse, but failed desperately since all sims zombified turns back into normal a few days or so (both by using the potent elixir and reanimating the dead). It's super lame, I'm not even sure if this is deliberate or some kind of bug. When my Sim turns into a zombie he doesn't even have a zombie sprite/icon/portrait and looks just normal on the loading screen.
Another ZOMBIE LAMENESS is the random spawn during the full moon nights. Those zombies prove to be nothing but annoying.The game randomizes Sims to make zombies and I catch sight of my LIVING SIMS' ZOMBIE DOUBLES.
Putting the zombies on the trailer/screenshots meaning they must have some significance, yet they don't. EA could have made THIS a living dead horror, at least as fun as mummies. I remembered when the EP hasn't come out I imagine I would be making a WALKING DEAD world in the Sims but eeing it the way it is, impossible.
Any of you share the same thoughts with me? Are you sad because of the insignificance of these creatures in the EP? Because I am
PS; The Origin limited content Peashooter was even more disappointing. I thought they were meant to be some kind of guardians of your house when zombies appear but they are nothing but lame-*** entertainment for sims with too much free time on their hands.
Re-PS: Bonehilda comes second to the zombies in USELESSNESS and DISAPPOINTMENT.
Sorry if this post seems like rage and rant, because it is, so please excuse me
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 3:22 PM
Yeah, I'd agree with that. The Zombies are disappointing, but hey, that's EA for you.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Lab Assistant
#3 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 3:24 PM
If you want a Zombie apocalypse, you can download Twallan's Vector. It will give you all the Zombie goodness that you want (from what I've read)
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 6:09 PM
I guess it's because adding in more zombie "violence" and the game won't be rated Teen anymore.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 6:35 PM
At first I was using a no zombies mod because I thought the zombies would be more aggressive to other Sims, which I didn't want. Then I saw the zombies were beneficial to my witch's skills so I got a mod that stops the garden attacks but allows the zombies coming out. They are so tame in the game that my witch can have a bit of fun with them, with the fire spells. Nothing like I thought the trailers was depicting.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Scholar
#6 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 6:49 PM
Disagree button located below...

You know, EA obviously can be held accountable for the bugs rampant in SN. The borked full moon saves, zombies manifesting during the day... zombies manifesting during other cycles of the moon and various other bugs in the game.

But I don't think EA can be held responsible for unrealistic expectations -- regardless of how they made it look in the trailer. First of all, this is not the first EP, most of us have observed that things are highly exagerated in EA's trailer for the game (sometimes non-existent in the actual game). Is that wrong? Yes, is it the way things are done now... For the most part. But second, and most important, during the entire course of the Sims franchise, 1, 2 and 3 the basic rule is that Sims cannot cause permanent harm to another Sim. People who thought that rule was suddenly discarded for this EP set themselves up for disappointment.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by game90
I guess it's because adding in more zombie "violence" and the game won't be rated Teen anymore.

Because every other game with violence and bloodshed is totally rated PEGI 18/M for Mature.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Test Subject
#8 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Periandre
But I don't think EA can be held responsible for unrealistic expectations -- regardless of how they made it look in the trailer. First of all, this is not the first EP, most of us have observed that things are highly exagerated in EA's trailer for the game (sometimes non-existent in the actual game). Is that wrong? Yes, is it the way things are done now... For the most part. But second, and most important, during the entire course of the Sims franchise, 1, 2 and 3 the basic rule is that Sims cannot cause permanent harm to another Sim. People who thought that rule was suddenly discarded for this EP set themselves up for disappointment.

I do believe EA should be held accountable, to a certain extent. I hate when people say "it's the way games are done now, get over it" because that is bull. Game companies like EA, Ubi, and others who develop for PC rip us off constantly because they just don't care. The console market is lucrative for reasons I cannot comprehend (What does an XBOX have that a PC doesn't?). We need to tell these companies that PC gaming is still a major industry, and they are failing. I only support indie developers because they actually show passion for their work that these companies threw out. Do I like EA? Not at all, I hate the company, but I grew up on Sims. When the first came out, the passion and love for the game showed throughout. You could tell that EA was in love with their work. Same with 2. But now, they just don't care. I will not get over it, and I will not accept that its the way things are done now. I will keep fighting these people until they get someone who actually cares about their work to do something decent!

And on the topic of what I dislike the most: It's the zombie invasion. I don't mind the zombie thing not being permanent, but I would like to have an option to make that possible. I just hate how (in my game, at least) zombies spawn every night, full moon or not, and cause problems for my sims (they like blocking the route to some outside objects.) Maybe if the zombies just shambled around mindlessly or something, it would be better. I have plenty of ideas to improve zombies, but I am no good at modding, so maybe someone who wants to hear me out can have a chat. I'm open to sharing.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 10:21 PM
Like I said in another thread...

Quote:
I am a bit disappointed with the supernaturals except for the witch and fairy. It's not the look of the zombies that bothers me... It's their behaviour. They freaking suck. They don't really do much... Ugh. EA really knows how to make everything look super exciting in their trailers when the actual game-play is completely different. So basically, they really know how to sell you EPs through lies! Last time I checked, zombies don't stand around yawning... And then finally letting out one of their pathetic and annoying little growls... I have zombies that will just stand in the same spot the whole night growling. That's it. That the zombie "attack" I was promised. I was excited, looking forward to fighting off some vicious, maniacal flesh eating angry mob of zombies! What do I get...? "Arrghh.. *stand, look around, yawn, think about career* arrgghh.."

So yeah, I understand your frustration.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 12:45 AM
I find the zombie thing is forced, whether a simmer wanted it or not. Yeah there are mods, but the game could have an option to cut them off too. Especially for those that find them annoying and useless, because they are useless. Aggressive pets can't attack them or run them off, a witch can throw spells in their direction that the player hopes will affect the zombies, can't interact with them unless an alchemist have a potion to throw at them. Bonehilda ignores the zombies, which is funny since she is obsessed with other living organisms in the game. Yeah, we know EA has to conform to a ratings system but if the zombies could be interacted with like say a thief, it may be more entertaining than just tearing up the garden and having a mini-game of plants vs zombies that may or may not work on them. At least with the thief a brave sim, Bonehilda, and an aggressive pet can jump on them. That is entertaining.

Periandre, I must disagree with you, just not using the button. Wanted to tell you why I am disappointed in the zombies, even though I didn't want them in the first place.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Scholar
#11 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 12:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nonameforyou
I do believe EA should be held accountable, to a certain extent. I hate when people say "it's the way games are done now, get over it" because that is bull. Game companies like EA, Ubi, and others who develop for PC rip us off constantly because they just don't care. The console market is lucrative for reasons I cannot comprehend (What does an XBOX have that a PC doesn't?). We need to tell these companies that PC gaming is still a major industry, and they are failing. I only support indie developers because they actually show passion for their work that these companies threw out. Do I like EA? Not at all, I hate the company, but I grew up on Sims. When the first came out, the passion and love for the game showed throughout. You could tell that EA was in love with their work. Same with 2. But now, they just don't care. I will not get over it, and I will not accept that its the way things are done now. I will keep fighting these people until they get someone who actually cares about their work to do something decent!

Please re-read what I said. I did not say "this is the way games are done now, get over it." I said, this is the way marketing is done now... and it's not limited to the gaming industry.

And again, if anyone truly believed that the Sims of all things was going to turn into this ultra violent game with cannibalistic sims running around eating each other and spreading the disease... that's a failure of your expectations. Because the reality is, EA stayed true to themselves in the amount of borkage provided, and true to the Sims in that the "violence" is silly, goofy, ridiculously polite and not at all permanent.
Scholar
#12 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 1:08 AM Last edited by Periandre : 28th Sep 2012 at 1:10 AM. Reason: Not quoting myself
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I find the zombie thing is forced, whether a simmer wanted it or not. Yeah there are mods, but the game could have an option to cut them off too. Especially for those that find them annoying and useless, because they are useless. Aggressive pets can't attack them or run them off, a witch can throw spells in their direction that the player hopes will affect the zombies, can't interact with them unless an alchemist have a potion to throw at them. Bonehilda ignores the zombies, which is funny since she is obsessed with other living organisms in the game. Yeah, we know EA has to conform to a ratings system but if the zombies could be interacted with like say a thief, it may be more entertaining than just tearing up the garden and having a mini-game of plants vs zombies that may or may not work on them. At least with the thief a brave sim, Bonehilda, and an aggressive pet can jump on them. That is entertaining.

Periandre, I must disagree with you, just not using the button. Wanted to tell you why I am disappointed in the zombies, even though I didn't want them in the first place.

I don't know that we are taking opposing points of view.

If you're disappointed in Zombies because they don't mesh with what exists within the Sims 3 already... or even, as you've pointed out things introduced with the same expansion pack (Bonehilda), or even disappointed because EA's own concept is wretchedly implemented-- that's different from being disappointed because it's not Night of the Living Dead.

I bitched in many places before the release about them being tied to the full moon and not being able to be turned off. Because they're a novelty and we're all going to get tired of them (some sooner than later). It's insane to me that EA provided forall of the occults to be turn off-able, except the one that is the most disruptive to game play.
Eminence Grise
#13 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 2:31 AM
It's insane to me that EA provided forall of the occults to be turn off-able, except the one that is the most disruptive to game play.

Agreed, this is the part that is totally incomprehensible ><

As for any particular implementation of zombies... same as with vampires, witches, fairies, mummies and everything else... there are tons of options available in popular culture, every player is going to have different preferences, and nobody's right or wrong... but

Why not provide a zombie checkbox? ><
Instructor
#14 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 3:45 AM
While I haven't had the least bit of trouble with zombies spawning when they aren't supposed to, nor leaving when they are. I also think that it's hideously negligent to not have included a checkbox for people who wanted some of these features but not all of them. I have one warlock to turns all the invading zombies to toads. I think, for myself, they are manageable. My peashooters shoot at the zombies appropriately, but since zombies can't invade your home (read that to mean your "sims" home), your sim can just sit and watch TV or read or whatever trips their trigger while the zombies stand outside and complain of route fail. Come 6am, they clear off. All this being said, I will remind everyone, yet again, that I have no mods at all in my game. I think the zombies are behaving as intended. And if I recall correctly, in the chats previous to the release of Supernatural, it was said that there IS a way to make zombies permanent. Though I don't know that I ever heard how it was done. I think that was one of the "surprises" left for the lot of us to figure out.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 4:47 AM
Disagree button located below...

You know, EA obviously can be held accountable for the bugs rampant in SN. The borked full moon saves, zombies manifesting during the day... zombies manifesting during other cycles of the moon and various other bugs in the game.

well, if i am in for disappointment for believing things they falsely advertised, then I guess they are in it for sales drop because I will be a lot more cautious when putting 30$+ for bugs and annoyance and false hope.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 4:56 AM
Please re-read what I said. I did not say "this is the way games are done now, get over it." I said, this is the way marketing is done now... and it's not limited to the gaming industry.

And again, if anyone truly believed that the Sims of all things was going to turn into this ultra violent game with cannibalistic sims running around eating each other and spreading the disease... that's a failure of your expectations. Because the reality is, EA stayed true to themselves in the amount of borkage provided, and true to the Sims in that the "violence" is silly, goofy, ridiculously polite and not at all permanent.

I don't exactly want a gut eating bloody brain-splattered zomie but at least make
them fun and annoyance-free. Remember the
mummy curse? die after 14 days? not truly violent but has something to do with death. why can't zombies be more
dangerous like
that and less like some joke?
Instructor
#17 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 5:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PortiaRaven
If you want a Zombie apocalypse, you can download Twallan's Vector. It will give you all the Zombie goodness that you want (from what I've read)

Yeah, I kinda turned my game into the "Walking Dead" as everyone in my town was slowly... errr, rather quickly zombified. Just going to the library is dangerous as you might get bitten.

Makes for an interesting and unique gameplay experience but The Sims just isn't set up properly for it.
Test Subject
#18 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nonameforyou

Well, in case anyone doesn't know, or would like to know. The reason it's easier to make things on the console, and why companies prefer to is the fact that fundementaly ALL XBox's PS3's Wii's are identical in hardware/software. The 360 made 4 years ago, is the same as the 360 made now. It may look different, may have a different hard-drive size, but it uses the same specs and everything. It's far easier to make a game run on 100 million 360's that fundementaly the exact same. Then it is to make a game on 100 million different PC's. If you took everyone on this site alone, and speced their computers out, you'd find at least 50% if not more had no specs in common, thus making it harder to polish a game for, specially with DirectX 9, 10, and 11, shaders, and such.

CPU's range from single core to 6 core, 2ghz to 6ghz, ram 100 different amounts for 100 different brands. Same goes with the graphics cards. That is one of the very real reasons PC gaming is in the decline, cause it cost more to develop a working game on all those systems, then anything else.. And far cheaper to make 1 game that works on 1 console for everybody. As well as it's far easier to squash bugs and fix issues, when everythings the same cause it can be easily reproduced.. On a PC not so much for the reasons already previously mentioned.. So see, those are the reasons why prefer consoles.
Test Subject
#19 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 4:01 AM
I'v'e never had a problem with Zombies. I was worried about a possible Zombie take over type glitch, it never happened, even with my game set on Full Moon. So I'm content with the game as is. and if not, there are mods. And as to games, Face it, no game will ever please everyone. You do something to make one group happy, you tick someone else off... So the sad fact is, Sims like most games will have fans that love them or hate them, and some will switch sides, and yes the publisher can be blamed but it is like anything else really. I guess what I'm rambling about is that there is good and bad in all of it, there are things players love and hate, and the games have entertainment value or they wouldn't still be making them, because there wouldn't be a market. plain and simple.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 7:41 AM
I wasn't expecting zombies to be violent monsters - I didn't even have standards set for them, because I was much more excited about the other supernaturals - I just think they're really pointless. They're so lackluster. Literally the only effect they've had on my sims is to make them drop everything in their queue so that 'zombie attack!' can appear instead, usually only to disappear a few seconds later, leaving my sim standing around idly.
I understand that there are limits to what EA can do, both in terms of staying within the boundaries of the game's rating and maintaining game performance, etc, but I just don't think they did an acceptable job on the zombies. I don't even care that zombie isn't a proper lifestate (?), but no interactions available whatsoever? I know you can't very well have a conversation with a zombie, but even with deer and raccoons (which are arguably the zombie equivalent in the animal family in ts3) have some way of being acknowledged by sims ('watch', 'pet'). The only time I don't detest the zombies is when I'm playing a witch since at least they have the ability to acknowledge their existence.
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 11:07 AM
I have never been a big zombie person but I have to agree with the frist the post on this thread that I was disappointed in the zombies as they only come out at full moon and they can turn any non supernatural sim into a zombie, then you can only do zombie things with them. I have encounted a glitch where if you set the moon phase to anything other defualt phase setting you get zombies spawning int the day out of the ground when there is no full moon atall.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Instructor
#22 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 6:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Artimis
I have never been a big zombie person but I have to agree with the frist the post on this thread that I was disappointed in the zombies as they only come out at full moon and they can turn any non supernatural sim into a zombie, then you can only do zombie things with them. I have encounted a glitch where if you set the moon phase to anything other defualt phase setting you get zombies spawning int the day out of the ground when there is no full moon atall.

I have my lunar cycle set to 9 days and don't have zombies spawn except on full moon nights, and even then, there aren't huge amounts of zombies. They always respectfully leave at dawn.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Field Researcher
#23 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 10:48 AM
I've always found the concept of zombies in itself rather... unexciting. I suppose because I'm used to the 1950's sf/horror b-movies, with undead humans who can't actually go very fast and have no special abilities don't exactly conjure high expectations of EA. They did exactly my description by the look of it, because they originally added a different b-movie monster with every expansion.

I missed out on Bonehilda as I did not own Sims 1. But from what I've read, a lot of players are delighted just to see her back; she's just a spooky NPC, I didn't exactly expect anything more. She makes a great addition to the Goth and Addams families' staff.
I haven't had a chance to play any other supernatural sims, I made a Witch this morning after it installed and I'm finding it mildly entertaining. Entertaining enough to pull me away from crucial study for a final exam tomorrow.

~Jo
Shady, Bruno, Nouk, Fanseelamb and JB: You all help to break my downloads folder. You're all so brilliant, so I wanted to say thanks.
"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde
Field Researcher
#24 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 11:19 AM
I agree that the zombies are disappointing and good for nothing but Peashooting, which is funny and cute the first 50 times.

But Bonehilda is the greatest NPC in this game and shines like a bone-white star among maids, babysitters, butlers and simbots. She is just as cute and hardworking (AUTOMATIC and NOT a sim that has needs) as I hoped and I love her.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 30th Oct 2012 at 12:04 AM
I It's insane to me that EA provided forall of the occults to be turn off-able, except the one that is the most disruptive to game play.

I agree, I agree, I agree!

That mistake, plus others makes me wonder what EA is doing? It appears EA is deliberatively trying to turn off a big portion of their customers.

I play a mostly realistic game and always before I could work around things I didn't care for. But now they are wild animals that go right into the middle of your town and stay there, and they have zombies that you can't turn off, with out turning something else off.

It seems to me the Sims division at EA is now run by a group of 11 year old boys. I say that because the producers were surprised that sites that were invited for a first look at Supernatural didn't like it that they couldn't turn the Zombies either off or down.

That's what I don't get! They have controls for the other supernaturals but they didn't include controls for the Zombies? That's just downright not knowing your customers. And that is insane or stupid for someone in charge.

I guess EA's decided if they make a mistake the mod community can fix it, so no big deal, the game will get bought anyway.

Maybe they think if Sims the 3 becomes almost unplayable we will all buy the Sims 4?

FAT CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 3