Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Dec 2012 at 12:15 AM
Default Seasons vs Greenhouse vs Planters: Maybe TS2 has solution?
We desperately need a greenhouse. The planters don't really work optimally with Seasons and we need some sort of structure that's 100% zombie proof. Not to mention that both the moon cycle and the seasons' dormant feature can bork up your entire "plantation".

Since EA fails at coding, maybe we could rip off the TS2 greenhouse pieces and use them in TS3. Could this be possible or even desirable? What do you guys think?

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 7th Dec 2012 at 2:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by virgalibabe
We desperately need a greenhouse. The planters don't really work optimally with Seasons and we need some sort of structure that's 100% zombie proof. Not to mention that both the moon cycle and the seasons' dormant feature can bork up your entire "plantation".

Since EA fails at coding, maybe we could rip off the TS2 greenhouse pieces and use them in TS3. Could this be possible or even desirable? What do you guys think?

As I recall, the way TS2 gardening worked was that you bought a plot of dirt which was one tile large and placed it somewhere on your lot. You could put a building over the plot and have a greenhouse or you could leave it outside. It was the plot which enabled planting. As long as the plot was on the ground, you could grow plants. (Meaning you couldn't have a greenhouse on a floor above the first floor.)

In TS3, you plant directly in the ground, with no special plot. Apparently, the original coding for gardening in TS3 is that plants grow outside, so any attempt to enclose plants with a greenhouse results in all manner of conflicts between what is considered "inside" and what is considered "outside." "Outside" means things get weathered on; "inside" means things can't be planted and grow. They've now created the planter, but that still doesn't get past all the inside/outside conflicts, as far as I can tell. (Sidenote, you can sort-of get around this by nearly fully enclosing a garden area, but leaving an opening so the entire "room" is considered "outside." The problem is that in real life, greenhouses don't have openings without doors.)

Is there a better workaround for this? *shrug*
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Dec 2012 at 2:55 AM
Oops, right I forgot about the "plot" thing from TS2. The problem is if the room is considered to be "outside" that means it isn't weather proof, meaning plants will go dormant in winter. Or maybe I didn't understand what you said. This is giving me a headache lol. All I want are windows and roof pieces that would allow sunlight in, regulate the temperature as if it's "inside" but be able to plant stuff as if they were "outside" while keeping them from going dormant as if they were shielded from the weather.

Maybe just removing the stupid restrictions for plants would solve the problem. Just flag the plants as being able to be planted inside as long as they were planted on the ground without any sort of flooring.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Eminence Grise
#4 Old 7th Dec 2012 at 3:07 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 7th Dec 2012 at 3:25 AM.
If you're proposing to attempt a mod and want help with it, you'd be better off in the Modding Discussion forum in Create

As for "ripping off" the TS2 greenhouse... different game engine, completely different code, there's really nothing you could port except the models, and even that would take some effort.

To do this in TS3, you'd need to start fresh. Have a friend who tried a couple years ago to make an indoor planter object for TS3, did not succeed and gave up... so I know it is not just a matter of setting flags. I am pretty sure this would require a full on script mod, assuming it's even doable without modding the core.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Dec 2012 at 3:33 AM
I was wondering if someone could figure out what make the TS2 greenhouse work so well maybe it could be easier to just clone/port them to TS3 and use their system of coding to get them to work for TS3 as they did for TS2. Just throwing ideas out there. I obviously have no knowledge whatsoever about coding, modding etc.

When I say "flag" I didn't mean that literally. I was just trying to explain what I mean as simply as possible. It wasn't a "request" for a mod rather a suggestion/question as in: "here's a crazy idea, maybe if we do this we could solve the entire plants/seasons/greenhouse problems." Hence I posted it here.

Quote:
Field Researcher
#6 Old 7th Dec 2012 at 4:29 AM
My plants "look" frozen in the planters but, continue to grow and produce fruit as long as there is an actual floor underneath them.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 7th Dec 2012 at 6:53 AM
EA needs to fix the coding before we can actually have a greenhouse. Right now we are limited with planting outside or with planters if you have SN or the Greenhouse store set. With that said, EA needs to fix the coding of having harvest in the planters and working with Seasons. The planter may be functionable, but the aesthetics suck, speaking on what fullsheet posted.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 8:52 AM
Strangely when I was planting today in the planters (during the winter) some plants registered as dormant while others continued to grow....yeah needs to be fixed.
Scholar
#9 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 10:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
The planter may be functionable, but the aesthetics suck, speaking on what fullsheet posted.

Which is funny (in a tedious, kind of depressing way) as the greenhouse is quite lovely to look at but isn't actually functional. Funny.

Hahaha...ha

...ha...

Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
EA needs to fix the coding before we can actually have a greenhouse. Right now we are limited with planting outside or with planters if you have SN or the Greenhouse store set. With that said, EA needs to fix the coding of having harvest in the planters and working with Seasons. The planter may be functionable, but the aesthetics suck, speaking on what fullsheet posted.

Planters are incredibly unpractical, especially for the sims that earn their livelihood with gardening. We need actual greenhouses so we can build a big enough structure, shield the plants from the harsh weather, being able to garden all year round and plant where ever the fudge we want on the ground. That's what they needed to add not gimmicky objects like planters.

Quote:
Forum Resident
#11 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 6:22 PM
Or at least a gimmicky planter that looks like, for example, a raised planting bed. New animations would be needed, but it would probably be much easier than reworking the entire gardening system. Planters do have a place in greenhouses, too.

In other news, while coming up with that picture link, I noticed a greenhouse photo that looks like the real-life version of the store set. It seems more on the 'conservatory' end of the spectrum than the 'greenhouse' end, for what it's worth.
Test Subject
#12 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 6:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
Which is funny (in a tedious, kind of depressing way) as the greenhouse is quite lovely to look at but isn't actually functional. Funny.

Hahaha...ha

...ha...

I'm glad I found this thread ... I didn't know WHY I couldn't get the greenhouse I built to work either. Eyeopening! Thanks!
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tempscire
Or at least a gimmicky planter that looks like, for example, a raised planting bed. New animations would be needed, but it would probably be much easier than reworking the entire gardening system. Planters do have a place in greenhouses, too.

In other news, while coming up with that picture link, I noticed a greenhouse photo that looks like the real-life version of the store set. It seems more on the 'conservatory' end of the spectrum than the 'greenhouse' end, for what it's worth.

Ooh, nice find! But some traditional greenhouse roof pieces or roof tool would've been nice as well. I'm not so much against the planters per se but it would have been nice if we could have gotten more practical tools and objects for those sims with big gardens. Not overpriced store items but in the EP as it should have been. I mean look at TS2 Seasons!

Quote:
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 11:53 PM
I love the snow piled high in the greenhouse. Ridiculous. EA is truly pushing it's fans and users to the limit with this substandard crap they continue to churn out.

Seriously, how the hell was this greenhouse, which they're charging us for as opposed to making it a venue which came with Seasons, not tested for Seasons durability and winterization? It boggles the mind.

. . . because sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hang onto.
Eminence Grise
#15 Old 9th Dec 2012 at 12:18 AM
It wasn't a "request" for a mod rather a suggestion/question as in: "here's a crazy idea, maybe if we do this we could solve the entire plants/seasons/greenhouse problems." Hence I posted it here.

Guess it was the "we" that made me think you might want to do it
Field Researcher
#16 Old 9th Dec 2012 at 3:50 AM
I disabled dormant in my game for the time being...unfortunately harvestables outside the greenhouse look like their normal summertime appearance.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 9th Dec 2012 at 5:33 PM
Would it be simpler to have a dormancy-disabling object? Instead of having to completely disable the option for the entire world, have an object that can be placed in a closed room that only disables plants inside that room. Or plants within range of the object.

The snow buildup is an entirely different issue, but I think EA should have to go back and re-release the set to fix that problem.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 9th Dec 2012 at 9:18 PM
The problem is down to the limitations EA have when it comes to coding items, they have to make them base game compatible, and in the base game you can't plant items indoors without cheating, I don't have the greenhouse but I suspect it's similar to fences or that science dome, those aren't classed as walls so you can plant inside them, however when you add EP's into the mix their coding fails, as those items can't stop the weather any better than the greenhouse.
From my own attempts at keeping the snow off my sims plants I've discovered that as far as build mode objects go, only solid roofs will stop the weather, see through roofs don't stop it (there's a couple of see through sets over at TSR).

As far as the dormant plants go, yet again that's EA's limitations, you can't have plants indoors so as far as they're concerned they all get affected by the weather, they aren't smart enough to remember that they coded planters for people to use indoors, or that many of us cheat to get plants into places they aren't meant to go.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 11th Dec 2012 at 1:14 AM Last edited by Tempscire : 11th Dec 2012 at 1:29 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Bejaymac
The problem is down to the limitations EA have when it comes to coding items, they have to make them base game compatible, and in the base game you can't plant items indoors without cheating, ...

They do have some latitude via patching. I don't know to what extent they'd be able to rewrite the plants, but the base game today (fully patched) is not the same base game it was four years ago.

Ooh, nice find! But some traditional greenhouse roof pieces or roof tool would've been nice as well. I'm not so much against the planters per se but it would have been nice if we could have gotten more practical tools and objects for those sims with big gardens. Not overpriced store items but in the EP as it should have been. I mean look at TS2 Seasons!

Oh, definitely. But since they didn't do that in the first place (you really gotta wonder-- they surely knew seasons would be included--or at least attempted-- eventually from the time they were developing the base game gardening, right?), I was trying to think of half-assed work-arounds they could provide that were more, ahem, fully-assed than, e.g. outright disabling plant dormancy or something.

If the easiest/best thing really was the planter system, they could have at least put a planter in the set that looked like a plant bed (and not just like a planter that came in an EP). Come to think of it, they should've just marketed the bloomin' thing as a conservatory [I love finding RL examples of Sim items!] rather than a greenhouse. We still wouldn't have proper greenhouses, but at least we wouldn't have a greenhouse-in-name-only, either.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 11th Dec 2012 at 4:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tempscire
Come to think of it, they should've just marketed the bloomin' thing as a conservatory [I love finding RL examples of Sim items!] rather than a greenhouse. We still wouldn't have proper greenhouses, but at least we wouldn't have a greenhouse-in-name-only, either.

In that case I believe most of us wouldn't have liked it snowing and raining though the conservatory roof. A glass roof by any other name is still a class roof.
Test Subject
#21 Old 13th Dec 2012 at 1:49 AM
Well, I was playing around with different build styles trying to create a workable greenhouse in game that was both indoor and outdoor at the same time and was also zombie-proof. Due to my absentmindedness I literally stumbled across a simple answer to seasonal greenhouse gardening; a sim can plant anywhere they want to (even in the middle of the bathroom) as long as moveobjects is set to "on". Turn it off and you can only plant outside, turn it on and your sim can plant on bare ground indoors, on floortiles in- or outside, or even on the second floor balcony if they feel like it. The only side effect I've found is that the cursor arrow will be greyed out like there are no actions available but you can still click on your plants and do all your tending the same as always. No zombies, no more that that annoying temporary dormancy, and (if you tile the floor to look like a garden) no unfinished moodlet.

So to sum it all up:
1) Build a room the size and shape you want for your greenhouse,
2) Decorate however you like to make it look like a greenhouse,
3) Turn the "moveobjects" cheat on anytime you want your sim to plant or re-plant, then turn it off when you're done.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 13th Dec 2012 at 3:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Will Galen
In that case I believe most of us wouldn't have liked it snowing and raining though the conservatory roof. A glass roof by any other name is still a class roof.

And then there's that. I'd forgotten about that part of their screw-up.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 13th Dec 2012 at 4:04 AM
I use roof tiles on the greenhouse and then the glass top and everything works like its supposed to. If I could find clear tiles, it would look better with the trees.
Alchemist
#24 Old 13th Dec 2012 at 4:16 AM
Inge made overrides for the greenhouse roof pieces that allow you to place them over floor tiles and make them invisible:
http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=1492.0

This makes the greenhouse a proper interior, though it does leave the problem of not being able to plant inside.
But with planters or move objects, you're good to go.

She also made a rug tile that makes the floor tiles beneath it invisible.
http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=1468.0
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 13th Dec 2012 at 4:21 AM
Thanks calisims, I'll try that.
Page 1 of 2