Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th May 2013 at 1:24 PM Last edited by Celebriton : 20th May 2013 at 1:34 PM.
Default [How About] more The Sims 3 EPs after The Sims 4?
What is your opinion if EA made more expansion packs for The Sims 3 for the next couple of years, even after The Sims 4 already being released? Expansion Packs like Open for Business, Farm Life, Outdoor Life, Family Vacation, etc. Probably just for 1-2 years, 4-6 EPs.

I think, it will be exciting! :lovestruc

We still need to wait for couple of years later before The Sims 4 became more complex and interesting. It won't hurt, and it's a win-win situation. Where we can still get our beloved new The Sims 3 EPs and EA can still milking from The Sims 3 franchise too, along with The Sims 4.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th May 2013 at 2:14 PM
Well I wouldn't put it past EA to do something like that, but it seems a bit unlikely to me. I think they'd probably want to focus on developing EPs for TS4 instead of TS3, but ngl I'd probably buy more EPs if they made them.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 20th May 2013 at 2:19 PM
They already stated in a Q&A that the time travel EP is the final EP.

Go here for proof: http://simsvip.com/2013/05/06/the-s...dra/#more-23959
Alchemist
#4 Old 20th May 2013 at 2:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Celebriton
What is your opinion if EA made more expansion packs for The Sims 3 for the next couple of years, even after The Sims 4 already being released? Expansion Packs like Open for Business, Farm Life, Outdoor Life, Family Vacation, etc. Probably just for 1-2 years, 4-6 EPs.

I think, it will be exciting! :lovestruc

We still need to wait for couple of years later before The Sims 4 became more complex and interesting. It won't hurt, and it's a win-win situation. Where we can still get our beloved new The Sims 3 EPs and EA can still milking from The Sims 3 franchise too, along with The Sims 4.

Never going to happen, stop wishing
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th May 2013 at 5:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by residenteviloutbreak
They already stated in a Q&A that the time travel EP is the final EP.

Go here for proof: http://simsvip.com/2013/05/06/the-s...dra/#more-23959

Actually they can change it for the sake of The Sims 3 fans community!
Theorist
#6 Old 20th May 2013 at 6:57 PM

They probably could but they didn't for the TS2 - TS3 era. I don't know if they did for TS1 - TS2. It would take away from their marketing efforts of TS4. Besides which, EA/Maxis doesn't want you to stay in TS1/TS2/TS3, they want you to jump ship and join the TS4 wave. They want you to do the fangurl thing and squee because there's a new shiny they're bringing out. TS3 Store will still be profitable for them but they'll leave that behind once their last EP/SP has been launched.

They'll love you forever for being loyal to The Sims brand, but they won't be making money off you if you don't jump ship to TS4. All efforts past the last EP/SP for TS3 is to win you over so you can spend money on the latest and greatest version. So... nope, they won't make anymore EP's/SP's past that. They might make more stuff to sell at the Store but I doubt it. I don't think they did for TS2 once TS3 launched. I could be wrong.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Theorist
#7 Old 20th May 2013 at 7:04 PM
I still think that there could potentially be another EP in 2014. If enough people feel that the series is unfinished, the tide may turn, if the right questions are asked in the right places.
I think the game is unfinished without OFB, but one year from now, who knows what the current scenario could be?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 20th May 2013 at 7:25 PM
Yes, because EA is so well known for responding to the feedback of players and putting quality and gameplay ahead of profit.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Alchemist
#9 Old 20th May 2013 at 7:36 PM

I recall this same thread after Apartment Life was released for TS2. Good luck with that
Theorist
#10 Old 20th May 2013 at 9:12 PM
I think Kenny is right. I've never heard of any game company release EPs for any game after they've already replaced it with a new one. If nobody else does it, why would EA? And why would they start now, after never having done that in the past?

Once a game is replaced, it's dead to them. Noticed NOTHING came out for TS2 after TS3 came out. Not even patches to fix problems.

Resident wet blanket.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 20th May 2013 at 9:45 PM

Yea because the company who won the golden poo award for 2 years in a row, called wiiu crap and bashed its fans, and made simcity online only regardless of fan input AND lied about it saying it relied on the servers (which modders and hackers have proven to be false), would so do something nice for fans.
Test Subject
#12 Old 20th May 2013 at 9:56 PM
I don't see it happening but I probably wouldn't mind it if they did. I still plan to play TS3 after TS4 releases for sure.
Space Pony
#13 Old 20th May 2013 at 11:00 PM
IMHO SIMs 3 is still incomplete & SIMs 4 is just EA rushing the fans over to accept "their" will.... as they failed miserably with SIMCity fans with SIMCity 2013....

To back up my point, here we are with an upcoming ocean based EP in Island Paradise and so far the only new announced career/s are Lifeguard & Resort Manager. I am born of a Seafaring family & most of my relatives are seafarers (Merchant Marines) and now there's this sea based EP with no sea based careers on offer. At least The SIMs 2 had Oceanography for me to play with....

EA is just being greedy as always with this announcement of SIMs 4. But will they deliver? Probably not so well too....
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 20th May 2013 at 11:25 PM
Seeing how even fans are calling ts3 a disappointment I would assume that EA would want to drop this project as soon as possible. Happened with the Sims 2.

That was not helpful, funny, or love!
Theorist
#15 Old 20th May 2013 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GEGNER
Seeing how even fans are calling ts3 a disappointment I would assume that EA would want to drop this project as soon as possible. Happened with the Sims 2.

What? The opposite. If the fans are calling it that, they should give one last big Klitschko punch to the series to prove them wrong.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Scholar
#16 Old 20th May 2013 at 11:43 PM
If you followed the thread by the young lady that won the contest to go out to EA Salt Lake City, you would know that the Sims 3 game engine is not up to the things fans would like to see produced such as OFB.

That being said, the development cycle for an EP doesn't even have much flexibility as far as going over the resources of man-hours and cost. I can't see EA pulling people off designing content for the current selling product --Sims 4 to support a has-been product.

In short, EA wants you to buy TS4, they already have your money for TS3.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 20th May 2013 at 11:47 PM
And it'll be the same way for 5.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
One Minute Ninja'd
#18 Old 20th May 2013 at 11:47 PM
Quote:
Looking at SimCity's disastrous launch, one wouldn't expect EA to be having a great year. But according to EA's fourth fiscal quarter financial reports, the publisher is doing just fine. SimCity managed to pull off a respectable 1.6 million in sales, despite negative reviews and poor reception to the game's online-always gameplay. Battlefield 3 Premium generated over $120 million in revenue in March alone, and has raked in 3.5 million subscriptions. FIFA '13 was also a great success, as it sold over 14.5 million units, a 30% increase over FIFA '12.

So SimCity might suck, but they still sold 1.6 million units of that shit.

Quote:
EA's non-GAAP total revenue for Q4 was $1.04 billion, up from last fiscal year's $977 million. EA's GAAP total revenue was $1.209 billion, down from FY 2012's $1.368 billion.

EA's financial figures also reveal how much more reliant on digital sales the company's becoming. GAAP Digital Net Revenue was $453 million, up from last fiscal year's $412 million.

All in all, EA's fiscal year 2013 marked a drop in revenue compared to last year. GAAP Net Revenue was $3.797 billion, compared to last year's $4.143 billion.

EA's financials show that the company's on pretty solid footing. The company didn't neglect to mention its Disney deal to create Star Wars games, although no fruit will come of it until after March 2014, the end of EA's next fiscal year.

Seems like March 2014 is shaping up to be a big quarter for them

Source Tom's hardware

So they did make a bit less in revenue in 2013 compared to 2012, but it seems like they're positioning themselves going out a year from now. And they canned their CEO for that.

However, what lesson does EA learn from the figures stated above? Was SC a flop? Are digital revenues inconsequential? Is the consumer market punishing them for their design decisions?

Oh, and now that they're committed to the TS4 launch in a somewhat timely manner, let's also remember they laid off a large number of workers a month or two back (the exact figure was never provided, but it was on the order of several hundred, although a few sources were throwing around a 10% of workforce number).

Source TechCrunch

So now, with fewer workers, and more releases planned, and the drive to increase total revenue, do you really expect them to keep people making stuff for TS3 when the new, shiny TS4 hits the store?
Instructor
#19 Old 21st May 2013 at 12:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GEGNER

What went wrong with TS2?
Cause Maxis/EA closed down their company in my country so I was unable to follow up TS2 beyond Pets(Unleashed). Until today I still enjoy dynamic of TS2.

PS. If EA does not release OFB for TS3, this Sims series will be a total waste.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#20 Old 21st May 2013 at 12:35 AM
Nothing "went wrong" with Sims 2 (aside from SecruRom). It's just that Sims 3 came out.

I don't see them releasing EP's after the new game comes out. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if they released content on the Store.
Space Pony
#21 Old 21st May 2013 at 1:10 AM
TS2 was awesome!

Every EP was a solid addition to the overall game play experience. Compare that to TS3's rushed EPs that adds more bugs & glitches every installment and you have a very rushed & incomplete game experience.

Also I do know that the Futuristic EP is the last announced EP for TS3, but how come information regarding it was removed from TS3's wikipedia article?
Forum Resident
#22 Old 21st May 2013 at 3:04 AM
Dont forget that several sites STILL after a few months have this listed: https://ebgames.com.au/wiiu-154565-The-Sims-Wii-U

Apparently a Wii and Wiiu exclusive Sims game is being developed.

Leaks from EB/Gamestop on their site always turn out correct. Due to EA not commenting on it, and EB not removing it, its likely true.

Its likely a console adaption of TS4. Remember that EVERY sims game has a console adaption. EA never *Officially* confirmed that they were not making *any* games for wiiu, they just said any game running the frostbite engine wont be on Wiiu.

The Sims 4 for console is likely whats posted on EB on that link.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 21st May 2013 at 5:04 AM
It was already mentioned that the time travel ep is the last but they will keep making content for the store. Now how long they will continue to make content for the store is a question, they might not make any after TS4 comes out as it wasn't a promise, just something they mentioned. But to maximize profit, it would make sense to keep supplying TS3 players with PC items until the cost of making these items out run the profit they get from selling stuff in the store. EA is a business. Decissions are made depending on §§§ not because they love us.
Space Pony
#24 Old 21st May 2013 at 8:24 AM
Good thing we can get "the store items" from "somewhere else", because WHEN EA FINALLY CLOSES OFF THE SIMS 3 STORE as they did for TS2's Store we will lose 16+ gig of items people might still want.

Too bad the TS2 store items were never preserved or at least handed over to community sites like MTS so people who'd want/need them can still access them.

So yeah, kudos to those who made TS3 store items available elsewhere....
Theorist
#25 Old 21st May 2013 at 8:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by residenteviloutbreak
Dont forget that several sites STILL after a few months have this listed: https://ebgames.com.au/wiiu-154565-The-Sims-Wii-U

Apparently a Wii and Wiiu exclusive Sims game is being developed.

Leaks from EB/Gamestop on their site always turn out correct. Due to EA not commenting on it, and EB not removing it, its likely true.

Its likely a console adaption of TS4. Remember that EVERY sims game has a console adaption. EA never *Officially* confirmed that they were not making *any* games for wiiu, they just said any game running the frostbite engine wont be on Wiiu.

The Sims 4 for console is likely whats posted on EB on that link.

I've been predicting for a while that they may actually launch the PC and console versions of TS4 simultaneously. That would be an interesting first for the series.

I wouldn't mind one more EP after TS4 comes out, but sensibly they need all the resources they can get to make TS4 as good as possible. Not to mention the whole marketing aspect that's already been mentioned. I've still been getting system updates for Windows 7 after Windows 8 released, but it's not really the same thing.
Page 1 of 2