Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 9:21 PM
Default Seacrest County
Here are some pics of seacrest. Do you think the terrain looks good or bad. If you think it looks bad what would you recommend I do to make it look better.

Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 9:43 PM
I like the idea of the world and I like the 'theme' you used.
But I do not like the way you shaped the mountains. They look too folded and have to many curves. Maybe smooth it at some points so there are more smooth spots on the mountains.
I think that would work.

I also think the terrainpaint needs some work. As for the second last picture the transition between the two terrains is not very smooth.
I also think the brown you use looks good, but I think it needs some different terrainpaints. Like bit lighter spots and so.

"And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears and love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears." ~ Mumford & Sons
Test Subject
#3 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 10:27 PM
You may want to point out whether or not you're basing any parts of this neighbourhood on the NFS: Hot Pursuit game, which takes place in a place called Seacrest County. Though I think I do see some points which resemble areas in the game.

nikkico pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 11:33 PM
I worked on the grass and the rock by the ocean today. Tomorrow I'll see if I can make that mountain look better. Does this look better to you?

Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 11:43 PM
The grass and rock definitely look better than what was there before. However, you might want to make the transition even less defined. A good area to look would be around the beach in Sunset Valley- the grass-beach transition works really well there. You might even want to extend the grassy area to the road itself- I've never seen a asphalt road built on a beach! :D

I also wonder if you can add a bit of a curve to the road running through the beach- it would definitely look better if it followed the contour of the rock.

Other than that, nice work! I like the way you did the railroad bridge, but remember to check the routing!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 4:02 AM
WOW! This is amazing. I really like the realistic features you have going there. I am assuming you are going to do the other parts of the map later, yes?
My only suggestion is that you gradually blend the colors of the beach. The terrain paints you use (I'm assuming custom) are really nice, and would look great if blended better.
Awesome work!
Instructor
#7 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 1:40 PM
I'm in love with this world!
It looks so natural and realistic. I love the way you created the forest, I love the (what I assume to be ) countryclub and golf course, and the swampy houses. Definitely going to download when it's done!
Only one thing: I like the morphological aspect of ground and rocks, I just think that the "waves" and the dents should have different width and shape, because the beach, for example, looks a bit like a chainsaw!

Great work, though!

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 2:50 PM
@Gabrymato: That's exactly what I meant too about the rocks/mountains.
But just couldn't find the right words. (A)

"And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears and love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears." ~ Mumford & Sons
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 5:13 PM
Does this look a little less like a chainsaw?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 5:46 PM
Much better! The texture variation and vegetation gives it a much more natural look, and the shape is more natural too.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 6:02 PM
Looks WAY better!

I don't know if you already did, but adjust what you've done to that mountain/hill to every mountainy/hill part.
That would look really good!

Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#12 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 6:48 PM
this is way too beautiful. And just like Nikki said, try to blend the rest of the mountain with the same style.Also try also to blend the texture of the beach in your post No 4. I think right now its not just right but in all, I am loving this work
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Mar 2011 at 8:18 PM
Does this make the beach look a little more natural.

Test Subject
#14 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 12:33 AM
on the last pic it would look better if you make sidewalk with "dirt road" transparency and overlay to give it a sand covered look
Instructor
#15 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 3:12 AM
See those mountains with the wierd grainy texture on the sides? Soften that. Right now it looks VERY artificial.

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Field Researcher
#16 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 11:50 AM
Looking better!

Can you make an overview picture of the world?
And I got another question.. You are going to do the rest of the world the same, right? I mean, you got this green not finished area, but you're going to do that part too?

Keep up the good work!

Instructor
#17 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 1:40 PM
I really like what I see so far! I was going to mention smoothing the mountains a bit and perhaps work a little bit with the terrain painting, but I was beat to it!
One question though - do you plan on sharing this and putting it up for download? If so, I'd really consider maybe not cluttering with so many trees, as that would severely lag some computers.

On a positive note, the lots are absolutely stunning and the layout, from what I can tell, looks very natural. Keep up the good work!
Instructor
#18 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 1:55 PM
Love it, love it, love it.
I agree with Jacen000solo, the dirty road would give the perfect atmosphere to the beach. I think that the pavement-sidewalked road should be in the city/suburban area, while this beautiful woody and swampy areas would look amazing with the dirty road.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nikkicornelisse
Looking better!

Can you make an overview picture of the world?
And I got another question.. You are going to do the rest of the world the same, right? I mean, you got this green not finished area, but you're going to do that part too?

Keep up the good work!

All of it will be finished eventually. A lot more needs to be done before I put together an overview pic.

Quote: Originally posted by sleepalldaypartyallnight
It looks really, really pretty! And a definite improvement from earlier pics. The tiling of the sand terrain paint is very obvious though, it would look better if you could blend it with a second sand texture to break it up a bit...as long as it wouldn't take you over the eight paints a chunk limit. I'm excited to see this finished, keep up the good work

That tiling will be fixxed.

Quote: Originally posted by Jacen000Solo
on the last pic it would look better if you make sidewalk with "dirt road" transparency and overlay to give it a sand covered look

Good idea. That beach will end up with either this or wood planks.

Here are some pics of the other side of the world.

Scholar
#20 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 12:03 AM
This is beautiful! =D
Test Subject
#21 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 1:24 AM
It does look a huge improvement from what I initially saw. But that bit of road in front of the lighthouse looks a little strange... Any chance of a better angle?
Mad Poster
#22 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 2:51 AM
It helps a lot to stick some of the big mountain rocks at the foot of your cliffs- they'll give some variation in the rock faces.

Otherwise, beautiful work!
Instructor
#23 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 4:27 AM
This looks very nice! Especially the side of the mountain which has the road. It only reminds me about just how much farther I have to go with my winding mountain road in my world. The lighthouse looks very good too.

I also see that you've built out many buildings, though most appear empty. That's fine, because you aren't done yet. But they seem to blend together pretty well.

A few questions:

I'm pretty sure those road textures don't come with CAW. You had to import them. Where did you get them? Or did you make them yourself?

How did you build that lighthouse? I'm pretty sure it's over five stories tall.

Have you considered using rabbit hole rugs and doors? Every rabbit hole is available in rug and door form, except for the Bistro for some reason. Such a mod would allow you to reuse those buildings.
The other one
#24 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 5:51 AM Last edited by missroxor : 28th Mar 2011 at 6:47 AM.
I cannot stress how much I love this.....I know it's probably early days but do you have a rough month/date in mind for when you want it finished by?

I was just about to chastise you for never uploading your houses before, you're obviously a talented builder but I see you're new to the site so I'd just like to say, when you're done with this world (or if you need a break) please do consider uploading some of your lots, they're simple but stunning and very realistic. I love the little white picket fence neighbourhood and the little area with the church (which is beautiful by the way)! I'm slightly jealous 'cause I made about 50 attempts at making a neighbourhood with this sort of look/feel to it and came nowhere close to what you've managed to create. Keep up the fantastic work, can't wait to see more :D

EDIT: PS Does your lighthouse have a working light at the top of it?....I only ask because I vaguely remember seeing a thread about how to achieve that somewhere a while back....simsample probably knows more about it being a CAW guru, but you could try searching the site or looking in the Create-CAW forum if it's something you're interested in doing.

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 7:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BenC0722
This looks very nice! Especially the side of the mountain which has the road. It only reminds me about just how much farther I have to go with my winding mountain road in my world. The lighthouse looks very good too.

I also see that you've built out many buildings, though most appear empty. That's fine, because you aren't done yet. But they seem to blend together pretty well.

A few questions:

I'm pretty sure those road textures don't come with CAW. You had to import them. Where did you get them? Or did you make them yourself?

How did you build that lighthouse? I'm pretty sure it's over five stories tall.

Have you considered using rabbit hole rugs and doors? Every rabbit hole is available in rug and door form, except for the Bistro for some reason. Such a mod would allow you to reuse those buildings.

question 1 The road texture was exported from another EA game.

question 2 Constrainfloorelevation false

question 3 If I do something like this I'll just put the buildings in the basement.

Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
I cannot stress how much I love this.....I know it's probably early days but do you have a rough month/date in mind for when you want it finished by?

I was just about to chastise you for never uploading your houses before, you're obviously a talented builder but I see you're new to the site so I'd just like to say, when you're done with this world (or if you need a break) please do consider uploading some of your lots, they're simple but stunning and very realistic. I love the little white picket fence neighbourhood and the little area with the church (which is beautiful by the way)! I'm slightly jealous 'cause I made about 50 attempts at making a neighbourhood with this sort of look/feel to it and came nowhere close to what you've managed to create. Keep up the fantastic work, can't wait to see more :D

EDIT: PS Does your lighthouse have a working light at the top of it?....I only ask because I vaguely remember seeing a thread about how to achieve that somewhere a while back....simsample probably knows more about it being a CAW guru, but you could try searching the site or looking in the Create-CAW forum if it's something you're interested in doing.

It will be done when its done. Wish I could be more exact.

Here are some houses I've built.

http://www.thesims3.com/userExchang...sona=Ouerbacker

My lighthouse doesn't have a light yet. I'll check the caw forum and see if I can find that.
Locked thread | Locked by: Yogi-Tea Reason: Old - will re-open if requested
Page 1 of 18