Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2016 at 2:22 AM
Default I want to make a curved table and could use some guidance please
I just finished my first ever mesh. It was an end table, and was basically a series of boxes. Now I'd like to tackle something with curves, but I'm unsure of what is the best way to approach it. Do I start with a primitive and use extrude? Or do I hand-place vertices and create polygons one-by-one? This is what I'd like to make and I thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

[IMG][/IMG]

Edit: I'm using Milkshape right now. Blender is too bewildering at the moment, so, given the fact that there are so many Sims 3 tutorials that are geared toward Milkshape, I've been focusing on making things for Sims 3, then converting them to Sims 4. Kind of a win-win for me since I still play Sims 3. And converting a Sims 3 object to Sims 4 is actually very easy, much easier, in my mind, than making something from scratch using the oh-so-confusing Blender. So my question is a Milkshape question. Thank you!
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Mar 2016 at 2:32 AM
You can post pictures in the "Manage Attachments" part when you write a port (scroll down).

Since you mention Extrude I assume you are using blender, is that right?

I'd start with the tabletop, for that you can use Add Mesh > Cylinder and scale it on the z axis. For the legs create one leg and use the Mirror modifier for the others (you can still map them differently when you are done, so it doesn't look so repetitive). To create that sort of leg I'd probably make a cube first, subdivide the vertical edges a few times, and then bend it with a Curve modifier. Rinse and repeat for the um .. counter-legs (the ones that are bent in the other direction). For the flat "feet" at the bottom I'd use a cube and then extrude the outer edges.

Here is some info on these modifiers:

https://www.blender.org/manual/mode...ate/mirror.html
https://www.blender.org/manual/mode...form/curve.html

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Mar 2016 at 6:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
You can post pictures in the "Manage Attachments" part when you write a port (scroll down).

Since you mention Extrude I assume you are using blender, is that right?

I'd start with the tabletop, for that you can use Add Mesh > Cylinder and scale it on the z axis. For the legs create one leg and use the Mirror modifier for the others (you can still map them differently when you are done, so it doesn't look so repetitive). To create that sort of leg I'd probably make a cube first, subdivide the vertical edges a few times, and then bend it with a Curve modifier. Rinse and repeat for the um .. counter-legs (the ones that are bent in the other direction). For the flat "feet" at the bottom I'd use a cube and then extrude the outer edges.

Here is some info on these modifiers:

https://www.blender.org/manual/mode...ate/mirror.html
https://www.blender.org/manual/mode...form/curve.html

Thanks for replying. I'm guessing you must have seen my post before I edited it. I'm actually using Milkshape, but I do understand most of what you're saying in Milkshape-terms. The only thing I don't understand is what you said about a"curve modifier. What would the Milkshape equivalent to that be?

I'm not super familiar with Blender, unfortunately. I've used it to bake my multiplier, and that's about it. So I need a bit of handholding there, I'm afraid. But I'm grateful for any help I can get!

Edit: About two minutes after I submitted this reply, I saw that you posted a link describing the curve modifier. If I were to use Milkshape's extrude feature, and set, for instance, the Y axis to a positive number, and the X axis to a negative number (or vice versa), wouldn't that do the same thing as Blender's curve modifier?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Mar 2016 at 12:54 PM
Ah, I didn't see your edit in time, that's why I posted stuff about blender.

I'm not aware that Milkshape has anything like modifiers. If you want to use Milkshape you'd need to bend/shape the legs manually I think, which is also not impossible, albeit a little more tedious. The Extrude feature in MS seems to be something totally different -- I don't see any way to define a secondary object or curve there.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Mar 2016 at 2:38 AM
Ah, I didn't see your edit in time, that's why I posted stuff about blender.

I'm not aware that Milkshape has anything like modifiers. If you want to use Milkshape you'd need to bend/shape the legs manually I think, which is also not impossible, albeit a little more tedious. The Extrude feature in MS seems to be something totally different -- I don't see any way to define a secondary object or curve there.

I'm sure Blender is easier...once you figure out the interface, that is. I'm fairly new to meshing (been recoloring for ages) so, for now, I think it's better to stick with Milkshape, even if it is clunkier than Blender.

Well, you've given me a starting point, which is what I needed, so I thank you for that.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 6th Mar 2016 at 3:02 AM
Sure, I didn't mean to talk you into using blender =). It sounds reasonable that you'd use something you're more familiar with -- and with that picture you have a very good source to work from.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Mar 2016 at 3:23 AM
Sure, I didn't mean to talk you into using blender =). It sounds reasonable that you'd use something you're more familiar with -- and with that picture you have a very good source to work from.

No. You didn't talk me into using Blender. Don't worry about that. It seems, though, that Blender is what I need to use for Sims 4 creations, which means I have to try to learn it. So far I've been using Milkshape and I've been following Sims3 tutorials. There are a lot of great Sims 3 tutorials out there, whereas there aren't many (that I could find) for Sims 4. And then, after making the Sims 3 item, I've been using Blender to convert it to Sims 4. Converting Sims 3 stuff to Sims 4 is actually pretty easier.

Anyway, like I said, you've given me a starting point for my project. Thank you for that.
Test Subject
#8 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 6:48 AM
Hi,

Ok I use Milkshape...the best way to do this is a cylinder for the top and the bottom legs need to be cylinders as well. You start with a cylinder then you need to extrude and rotate (since obviously there is no modifiers in MS) note though that you usually want to map the legs first before rotating, though you must extrude first before mapping. I will be a little tricky but just play with it and hopefully you should come to a good mesh. (PS I hate extruding and rotating, but this looks like a fairly easy enough mesh to do). Good luck
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#9 Old 17th Mar 2016 at 7:39 PM Last edited by porkypine : 17th Mar 2016 at 10:23 PM.
Hello,

Perhaps I can add a few points about how I've made these types of objects. In Milkshape using a cylinder will give you enough vertices to make the 'bends' you need for the legs as well as a nice circle for the tabletop.

Notes: Make the basic shapes for the table top and reduce the leg'cylinder to 4 sides. Export as a Wavefront object and MAP the parts before you do the final shaping. The reason why is that you want to have a nice straight wood grain on the curved legs. The wood grain of the legs in that picture looks like the wood was chopped out of a circle and would be very weak in real life.

Table Top and Middle: Using two cylinders for 'top' and 'middle' sections. Scale it enough to see the vertices in the length.
Table Top:
* For the 'top' keep the 'cylinder cap' ...Keep top 3 rows of vertices
* Delete the remaining ones at the bottom of the cylinder.
* Scale the table top to the desired diameter.
* Row 3 - SNAP the Vertices to close the bottom of the cylinder.
* Label this mesh piece TOP
* Map this one as cylinder cap so you can map it correctly in UVMAPPER.

Table Middle:
* This time, keep the bottom 'cap' and the bottom 3 rows.
* Delete the upper vertice rows that aren't needed.
* Scale this piece a smaller diameter that the table's top.
* Label this mesh piece 'Middle' for UV Mapper
* This piece would be mapped as cylinder cap

Table Legs:
* The easiest way to do this one is to use a cylinder with enough rows to make a reasonable curve. Using the 'box' is too clunky. Remember to try to keep the total poly count in mind. The game will smooth out some of the angularity.
* Reduce the number of vertices per row to 4 and make it a square shape.
* 'Snap vertices' to reduce the amount of vertices in the mesh.
* Rotate the cylinder in 3D view to make sure you've snapped vertices correctly and didn't accidentally snap the wrong pieces.
* Delete the 'caps' to reduce poly count because those pieces won't be seen.
* Make sure this is in FRONT view and not angled.
* Label this mesh piece 'Legs'
* Save and export as a wavefront object for mapping
* MAP the legs as a cylinder with no caps. Save wth unique name.
* Import it back into Milkshape
* Start bending the legs by selecting a row of vertices and rotating them to resemble the curved shape.
* Move this leg part into position.
* Select and Duplicate the curved shape.
* Reduce the rows of the cloned leg and chop off the excess (if any - remember always try for lower poly as long as it does not impact the mesh.)
* Put the short curved mesh piece in place.
* Make sure the mesh is in FRONT view.
* Select and DUPLICATE the combined double curve leg parts.
* (Darn! I'm doing all this from memory! I think it's called mirror). After duplicating the legs Mirror left.
* Now select both the left and right sides and duplicate that, then MIRROR front-back
* Rotate the new pair so the legs are in the correct position.

Table Base:

* You are going to follow the same general instructions for the table leg base.

* Now, copy the original clone mesh part names. Select the mesh parts and regroup them and give them the name of the original clone parts.

Save with new name and export.

If I left something out, I apologize. I am not at Milkshape now and wrote this from memory.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 11:52 AM
Hey, thank you guys for all your help. I've made screenshots of your explanations so I have something to refer back to when I need it. This really helps me.

And Plasticbox, I found a fantastic blender tutorial on YouTube and I've learned a lot. Blender doesn't scare me anymore! he he. So I appreciate your help in that regard, too.