Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 12:13 AM
Swimmable Beach - Seasons EP ready
Guys, considering beaches are already swimmable in this expansion, right now I am making a world that has a beach but I do not know if it will work as a swimmable one when Seasons EP comes out. I was wondering if you guys have idea how to do the beach and make it swimmable and will work in seasons. As far as I know in sims 2 the beaches can be swimmable if you smoothen the shore . Anyone?

http://www.kathflores.com
"Every color has its definition and that is what ART is...Defining who you are"
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 12:16 AM
The same. The world just needs a gentle slope of coastline so Sims can enter the water,

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
#3 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 12:16 AM
They said that as long as the shore slopes into the water smoothly and at not-too-high of an angle, you can make it. I imagine it just can't be so steep a sim couldn't walk on it. Just copy Sunset Valley's beach slope!
Eminence Grise
#4 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 1:45 AM
They also said that you can't swim on a residential lot, but you can on a world beach (not on any lot) or a beach on a community lot.

More information in SimGuruGraham's twitter feed about this than anywhere else, I think.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 1:57 AM
Given that I can't think of a single home lot, ever, that actually includes what Sims 3 regards as a beach and the sea, I can't imagine that not being able to swim in the sea on a Home Lot will be much of a disappointment ...

Take care. Have fun. Bring your own banjo.
Eminence Grise
#6 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 2:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sgloomi
Given that I can't think of a single home lot, ever, that actually includes what Sims 3 regards as a beach and the sea, I can't imagine that not being able to swim in the sea on a Home Lot will be much of a disappointment ...

Don't think there are any in existing EA worlds, but at least one person has posted expressing the intention of adding such lots. We have World Edit as well as CAW remember
Test Subject
#7 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 2:52 AM Last edited by sheridanhoughton : 17th Aug 2012 at 2:54 AM. Reason: adding more
I would like to be able to have my sims swim in ponds on community lots. I would like to be able to have a swimming hole in a grungy world. I have tried to do this by putting a swimming pool right next to a pond, fiddling around with the terrain paints, rocks and plants, but it never looks quite right.

So I am a bit disappointed. but still overall thrilled that at least they can swim in the sea, rivers and lakes in the world.
#8 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 2:55 AM
I think the reason there's no swimming in ponds is because they freeze over.
Theorist
#9 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 3:07 AM
I was under the impression that they can swim in ponds (as well as rivers) as long as they aren't on a lot, either residential or community. Granted they probably won't be able to swim in them in the winter if they're frozen, but they are swimmable. Is that a word?

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 3:09 AM
So then i will just copy sunset valley's beach.. hehe... nywayz. Yea I was wondering too why cant people swim in the pond. At least EA can make it possible and just give us an option like a sign object where we can put a "No swimming Sign" so sims can't go swim on specified water area with that sign. that would be awesome

http://www.kathflores.com
"Every color has its definition and that is what ART is...Defining who you are"
Theorist
#11 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 3:12 AM
Well, I wonder what they classify as the difference between a pond and a lake? Does anyone know? Maybe you just need to make a really big pond!

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
#12 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 3:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
I was under the impression that they can swim in ponds (as well as rivers) as long as they aren't on a lot, either residential or community. Granted they probably won't be able to swim in them in the winter if they're frozen, but they are swimmable. Is that a word?

By "Ponds" i meant "lot water" :P
Mad Poster
#13 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 3:18 AM
Any body of water not made with the pond tool is available for swimming.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#14 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 3:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Any body of water not made with the pond tool is available for swimming.

That's kind of a bummer. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. The fact that we're finally going to have beach swimming again is fantastical! But it would be fun in a place like Appaloosa Plains or Twinbrook to have backyard "ponds" to swim in like they really do in the American Midwest or Southeast. You know, the ones you see from Hollyweird where they kids all run out to the cow pasture and jump in the pond.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
One Minute Ninja'd
#15 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 3:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by WintertimeExplainer
I think the reason there's no swimming in ponds is because they freeze over.

OK, so if there's a sheet of ice on top of the lake/pond/puddle whatever you want to call it, you can't swim. Pretty straightforward. But, what's the problem with swimming in any body of water when it's not frozen over? Maybe it's something obvious, but I can't see where the fatal flaw would be in coding for it.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 4:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AngelicScot
where they kids all run out to the cow pasture and jump in the pond.
I live in the suburbs, but just from seeing how disgusting geese can make a pond, you couldn't pay me to go swimming near cows.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 4:32 AM
You can build the community swimming hole. You just have to create the pond in CAW. Then build your park lot nearby and you have your neighborhood swimming hole. The cool thing is that ponds on lots will freeze over. So we sort of get both freezing ponds and places to swim.
Theorist
#18 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 4:56 AM
In all honesty, to each their own, right? But in the real world on this place called Earth, you wouldn't catch me swimming in a pond. Seeing as a pond is generally known to be that cloudy water that has a fountain in it to make the neighborhood fancy or a bunch of plants to enhance the dead and dry grass around it. Also it usually is a smaller body of water and people don't generally swim in ponds at least to my knowings. Third off having a beach lot without it extending to the water is realistic because you don't own that body of water and most times you don't own that beach you usually own up to your back patio. Unless you live on a private island or some shiz, you pretty much just have a house on the beach and that's that. Oh and regarding lakehouses that's a different story so are riverhouses because ownership for those are confuzzling lol, but I'm sure it's the same scenario.
Alchemist
#19 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 5:26 AM
I grew up near a pond, and the whole neighborhood used to swim in it. It didn't have a fountain, the water wasn't cloudy, and there was a beach around it, with sand and rocks, not dry grass. This was in the real world even, on this place called Earth.
dodgy builder
#20 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 9:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
You can build the community swimming hole. You just have to create the pond in CAW. Then build your park lot nearby and you have your neighborhood swimming hole. The cool thing is that ponds on lots will freeze over. So we sort of get both freezing ponds and places to swim.

That is great actually. So I can make ponds in CAW and then have swimmable residential lots on a CAW made beach.
#21 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 10:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
OK, so if there's a sheet of ice on top of the lake/pond/puddle whatever you want to call it, you can't swim. Pretty straightforward. But, what's the problem with swimming in any body of water when it's not frozen over? Maybe it's something obvious, but I can't see where the fatal flaw would be in coding for it.

I don't know. I am not on the development team. But the fact is, if they made it so you can't swim in ponds, they probably had a reason for it.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#22 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 10:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by WintertimeExplainer
I don't know. I am not on the development team. But the fact is, if they made it so you can't swim in ponds, they probably had a reason for it.
Well, the lake in Twinbrook IS a pond and it is swimmable. So, at least it's not a pond vs. ocean thing.
Instructor
#23 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 11:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90

I'm also under the impression that this is how beach lots and ocean swimming will interact as well. As in the beach lot will be right next to the ocean, but the slope into the ocean will actually not be a part of the community beach lot. That way we can get both a community beach and the ability to swim in the ocean since the ocean isn't technically on the lot.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#24 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 11:30 AM
But if your lot overlaps into world water, then the sim can swim in it from the lot? It would be disappointing if they can only do it outside lots, because townies never appear in non-lot locations except when they are travelling between lots - which they only seem to do in vehicles.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#25 Old 17th Aug 2012 at 12:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
They also said that you can't swim on a residential lot, but you can on a world beach (not on any lot) or a beach on a community lot.
That sounds like a nonsensically arbitrary restriction, if you can swim on a community lot, but not on a residential lot. One that will have to be killed with fire.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Page 1 of 2