Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jul 2005 at 4:24 AM
Default Clothing Cloning Plugin for DatGen
Hello skinners. Many of you, probably most of you, will be familiar with a tutorial written by Brianna of the Well Dressed Sim. Her tutorial outlined the process by which you can export a clothing item from Bodyshop, and the steps you have to take to create a new mesh for editing.

Brianna's tutorial has been invaluable to clothing skinners who wish to make new meshes. Its a fairly complex process, involving about 40 steps. Its a bit of a hassle and takes a bit of time. I've taken Brianna's process, and automated it in a new plugin for DatGen. This plugin is EXTREMELY simple, and does all the steps of Briannas tutorial except the Bodyshop parts in about 30 seconds (after you fill in a few required fields in a small form). You will still need to follow the very first step, and the last few steps, of Briannas tutorial: http://www.sims2.thesimsresource.co...als/wdstutorial.

The tool takes the skin package exported by Bodyshop, and requests several output filenames. When you click the button at the bottom of the form, the plugin will process the skin, and create a Mesh package, a skin package, and export a .obj file containing the clothing mesh for you to edit. The tool is in its first release, and doesn't do much more than I described. The next release is slated to have an extremely simple, one-step reimport process so you can update your Mesh package with the edited clothing mesh (from the .obj file).

This tool is for all the custom clothing meshers and skinners out there who would like a simpler, faster process. I hope this will fulfill a need, and shorten the development time for making new clothing meshes. I love a LOT of the work you guys do, and some of you are particularly exceptional.

This is the first of several mesh editing tools for DatGen, and they will all be on roughly the same level of simplicity and ease-of-use when released. You can get this plugin by downloading the latest release of DatGen at www.datgen.info/files/DatGen_079_Release.rar. NOTE: You need WinRAR to extract this file.

Please let me know what you think, and what features you would like that you think would make your jobs as skinners easier. Using the tool is pretty strait forward:

1) Open the skin package you exported from Bodyshop.
2) Type in a name for the new mesh, your initials, and choose the age and gender.
3) Choose filenames to save the mesh package, skin package, and .obj files to.
4) Run the process.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 15th Jul 2005 at 4:36 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Thank you!

Will try it out!

"S"
V^^^^V
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 15th Jul 2005 at 4:40 AM
I would like to thank you for this tool. I am downloading it now, and can not wait to try it out. Looking forward to creating new clothing for the toddlers, and elderly. Will post once I have completed the tutorial using this plug in. Again many thanks
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Jul 2005 at 4:44 AM
Oh, sorry. I forgot to mention, READ the DatGen FAQ at www.datgen.info/faq.aspx. I guarantee that a lot of you will have questions as to why the program doesn't run...the FAQ will get you started.

Also, the tool is found in the Plugins sidebar, its the last one. You might need to scroll the sidebar a bit to find the icon for it.
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
#5 Old 15th Jul 2005 at 3:46 PM
You know, DarkMatter, I've been delayed in learning to mesh because I so seldom have time to sit at the computer for an extended period. I'll let you know how it goes with this. Thanks!

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Instructor
#6 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 8:45 PM
This sounds really good but I haven't been able to get it to work yet or at least I can't find the mesh packages.I just get a list of errors when I click on clone.It may very well be me.I'm mostly wondering if I'm doing somethig wrong.
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Jul 2005 at 6:46 PM
Could you explain the steps you took? It might be a good idea to read through Briannas tutorial so you know what the plugin does. You still need to do the first step of her tutorial, and the last few (basically, anything that has to do with bodyshop).
Inventor
#8 Old 18th Jul 2005 at 6:52 PM Last edited by mod_bv : 18th Jul 2005 at 6:53 PM. Reason: Over-excessive exclamation points...LOL
Thank you!
Instructor
#9 Old 19th Jul 2005 at 3:18 AM
I will try it again as soon as I finish the one I"m working on.If I can find what I'm doing wrong I'll let you know.If I'm the only one then it is probably me and not the plug-in.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 19th Jul 2005 at 4:29 AM Last edited by alej_r_b : 19th Jul 2005 at 4:42 AM.
A huge Thanks!!!!

EDIT:
I have a problem with the download, I have been trying to download the file but after five minutes the download "ends" and when I try to open the .rar file a message box appears and says "unexpected end of file".

I'm pandrito at Sims2Community
I'm pandrito at Sapphiresims
I'm pandrito at Exnemsims
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Jul 2005 at 4:36 PM
Seems like your connection to the server is spotty. Keep trying to download, until it finishes. The file is about 6.2 to 6.3 megs.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 19th Jul 2005 at 6:58 PM
Thanks, problem fixed.

I'm pandrito at Sims2Community
I'm pandrito at Sapphiresims
I'm pandrito at Exnemsims
Instructor
#13 Old 20th Jul 2005 at 2:02 AM
OK I found my problem.I was trying to keep the same name for the texture file and that is why I was getting the errors from Datgen.Also for some reason milkshape wouldn't import the .obj so I just exported a new one from simpe.This will save alot of time though.Thanks Darkmatter I can't wait to see the finished plug-in.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 20th Jul 2005 at 8:37 AM
Thanks so much! I thought that it was a rather long and time consuming thing with many opportunities for error! I'll try it out... but... does this still use SimPE? or is DatGen required? I'll let you know how it goes...
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#15 Old 20th Jul 2005 at 6:18 PM
Everything I do will require DatGen. I'm not part of the SimPE project, nor will any of my tools work for SimPE.

Check out www.datgen.info for more information about DatGen. It does a lot more than just help clone clothing, and it actually allows you to edit more file types than SimPE (with another 10-15 more editors due very soon. )
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 7:46 PM
I seem to have a very strange problem. I started off not able to view the plugins at all and followed your faq sheet to update my DirectX to the April 2005 update. Then all the plugins seemed to work. However, i have the same problem that "PAF" (above) mentioned-where a string of errors come up when pushing the clone button. He fixed his problem by having a different name for them, but mine already have totally different names. Not one is the same. What do I do? Am I not naming the files correctly? Is there going to be a little mini-tutorial on how to label things properly? Sorry to be such a bother and thanks in advance!
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 8:37 PM
Can you list some of the errors that are comming up? Error messages usually include line numbers (if they are bugs), which I can use to quickly fix any problems. Also, don't worry about posting problems. The more feedback you guys give me, the better I can make this tool your you all, which is my ultimate goal.
Instructor
#18 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 8:58 PM
The problem that I was talking about was having the same name as the bodyshop file,but I never could get the new mesh to show up.I thought it was just me though.After I changed the names I didn't get errors anymore.
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#19 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 10:15 PM
Oh. You can't save out the new content to the same name as the bodyshop file. The plugin has to keep the body shop file open WHILE its saving the new contents, which is why you were getting the error. You have to save the skin and mesh files to new names.
Instructor
#20 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 11:07 PM
I'm still not exactly sure on this so could tell me exactly which step of Brianna's tutorial this stops on?Also the .obj file exported by datgen was crashing milkshape 1.74.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 11:12 PM
THis really helps! I'll try it out! I have the same question. Which of Brianna's tutorials last steps do we still have to take? Because I know you said we couldn't import the file back in yet.
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#22 Old 28th Jul 2005 at 3:20 AM
In briannas tutorial, you have to do step 1, and steps 29-31. Until DatGen has its reimport script system ready, you'll need to do the last part, part 6, to reimport your edited mesh.

I'll check out the .obj crashing Milkshape issue. Any idea where I can get version 1.74? I have a couple older versions.
Instructor
#23 Old 28th Jul 2005 at 4:28 AM Last edited by PAF : 28th Jul 2005 at 4:34 AM.
Here is link to milkshape and it is 1.75 now,sorry I forgot that I just updated.MlikshapeI have not tried with 1.75 though.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 28th Jul 2005 at 5:43 PM
Okay, I was finally able to export the mesh, etc. okay but when I opened up the mesh it was very weird. It was all smushed together into one plane. I guess I'll have to give it another whirl. Is this a problem for anyone else?
Zombie Coder
Original Poster
#25 Old 28th Jul 2005 at 5:57 PM
I may be exporting the .obj wrong. This is my first go at generating .obj files, so, I have to do some debugging.
Page 1 of 2