Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#76 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 4:56 AM Last edited by sweetichigodream : 8th Aug 2009 at 10:44 AM.
In Photoshop you do not "import" but open the dds file. ("Open") At least that's working like that on my Photoshop. (an old thing, version 7)

My username here is sweetichigodream, but I am better known as Helena and/or Funny Bunny! :) would love to change username...
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#77 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 9:24 AM
Either your plugin is wrong or not installed or your plugin-folder isn't set correctly in Photoshop.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 10:36 AM
I had trouble getting Photoshop CS4 x64 to open DDS files with the plugin but the 32 bit version opened them fine. No idea what I did wrong there! No other worries apart from that.

Thanks a lot for this tutorial, by the way. It's really easy to follow. :D
Test Subject
#79 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 12:20 PM
I'm having an issue with the thumbnails.

I can make the painting show up if I use a custom thumbnail (currently flat), but I can't get the game to autogenerate one for me.

The moment I delete the 3 thumbnail files from the package (using S3PE), the painting doesn't show up in game anymore. I did this after fixing it. Deleting the thumbnails cache has no effect.

I did just update to 1.4, so the patch may have broken it, but that seems odd?
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 1:10 PM Last edited by damnedcitizen : 8th Aug 2009 at 1:24 PM.
help I did everything as said (although I worked on Gimp not Photoshop) and both the original painting and mine appear in the catalog with their own thumbnails but when I try to place mine on a wall it just turns into a green question mark on a red-blue background. what am I doing wrong?

I do not suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 5:12 PM
Nobody has answered my question as of yet, so I guess I will ask it again, is it possible to change the actual frame around the painting?
Alchemist
#82 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tammy_trauma
Nobody has answered my question as of yet, so I guess I will ask it again, is it possible to change the actual frame around the painting?

I think that would mean creating a new mesh... which I know can be done, but I doubt there's a tutorial around for it. Hopefully I'll find one soon though because I want to make original frames as well.
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 6:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up Coltraz
Alchemist
#84 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 12:55 AM
What are the chances S3OC will be updated to include Store items in its list of possibilities?
Test Subject
#85 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 2:10 AM Last edited by dsportsteen : 9th Aug 2009 at 2:52 AM. Reason: Here's a photo
ok i try to use the viewer in S3PE and it says this
error message the picture is below
i tried doing what it said but i cant seem to find the download link to the viewdds thing it keeps saying
please help
thanks
Screenshots
Test Subject
#86 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 9:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dsportsteen
ok i try to use the viewer in S3PE and it says this
error message the picture is below
i tried doing what it said but i cant seem to find the download link to the viewdds thing it keeps saying
please help
thanks

if you open the helpers.txt, you will see that the defult directory the program looks for viewdds.exe is c:\program files\viewdds\

if you extract the rar to a folder, sometimes the exe file might be in xx\viewdds\viewdds, if it is the case, just move the files one level up and delete the extra folder.

Choose life.Choose a job.Choose a career.Choose a family, Choose a f**king big tele, Choose washing machines, cars, cd players.Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage.Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning.Choose your future. Choose life
Alchemist
#87 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 6:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tammy_trauma
Thanks for the heads up Coltraz

Unless you're talking about the COLOUR of the frame, so that it defaults in game to a different colour? Or are you talking about the shape/style?

I do wonder about the frame colouring. Does anyone know if you can alter that, and how?
Test Subject
#88 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by toyfaces
if you open the helpers.txt, you will see that the defult directory the program looks for viewdds.exe is c:\program files\viewdds\

if you extract the rar to a folder, sometimes the exe file might be in xx\viewdds\viewdds, if it is the case, just move the files one level up and delete the extra folder.

Ya that's the thing i can't even seem to find the viewdds thing anywhere that's the problem i need to download it but on google it's always a different program if anyone can give me the link to download that would be great
Eminence Grise
#89 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dsportsteen
Ya that's the thing i can't even seem to find the viewdds thing anywhere that's the problem i need to download it but on google it's always a different program if anyone can give me the link to download that would be great

The Simlogical site is down, and will not be returning in its old form. Inge and Peter's tools (s3pe and s3oc) are being hosted here now: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=604.

As for the DDS viewer, try this one instead: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/...ure_viewer.html

Xanathon, you might want to update your tut with the new links, if you haven't yet
Test Subject
#90 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
The Simlogical site is down, and will not be returning in its old form. Inge and Peter's tools (s3pe and s3oc) are being hosted here now: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=604.

As for the DDS viewer, try this one instead: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/...ure_viewer.html

Xanathon, you might want to update your tut with the new links, if you haven't yet

Thanks so much for the program but i still get the error even though its in the exact directory its saying its not here look at these screenshots
also the helpers.txt is exactly where its saying its not
sorry for bothering you guys so much its just frustrating
Screenshots
Test Subject
#91 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 10:25 PM
I am trying to figure out which folder is the Sims 3 installation folder needed for S3OC. Whatever I choose, a box comes up saying it can't find FullBuild0. I even found the folder containing that file, selected it in S3OC, & it said the same thing.

Washu: "It's just as I suspected"
Ryoko: " what is it you suspected?"
Washu: "I suspected....your breasts are sagging!"
Test Subject
#92 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lilwashu76
I am trying to figure out which folder is the Sims 3 installation folder needed for S3OC. Whatever I choose, a box comes up saying it can't find FullBuild0. I even found the folder containing that file, selected it in S3OC, & it said the same thing.

ok i had the same problem you need to just select the sims 3 folder only like this
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3
Just that nothing else
Test Subject
#93 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 11:49 PM
That worked. Thanks!

Test Subject
#94 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 11:51 PM
That worked. Thanks!

no problem
Eminence Grise
#95 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 12:47 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 10th Aug 2009 at 1:11 AM.
Guys, can we keep this thread on topic, which as you will recall is Xanathon's painting tut? General s3oc, s3pe, and object modding questions should be in their own threads. I've split off a couple of posts that blatantly needed to be addressed separately.

Lemoncandy (object placement flags): http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=362751
beautifulcrazydisaster (fireplace cloning): http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=362748
Test Subject
#96 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 1:52 AM
thankyou!
Test Subject
#97 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 2:04 AM
Argggh! Cannot open file in PSP9. I've tried the suggested plugins from the NVIDIA site, but nothing is working.*sigh*

Alchemist
#98 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 2:41 AM
Argggh! Cannot open file in PSP9. I've tried the suggested plugins from the NVIDIA site, but nothing is working.*sigh*

I was able to open .dds files in PSP8 after following the directions for installing the Adobe plugin to work for PSP. But the weird thing is, it only allowed me to view and edit .dds files once. When I tried again the next day, it didn't work. And since, it has not worked.

Now I am forced to use Gimp, which is one annoying-ass program.

But it's free and pretty full of features and gives me no trouble with .dds files. I just wish I could use my PSP8 with .dds... it would be so much more comfortable.
Test Subject
#99 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 2:45 AM
( I Apologize I - use translator)

Fantastic manual for self - instruction ! Great thanks !
I remade "PaintingGoth", I remade "PaintingTrypticMusic".
It looks in game beautifully and thumbnails are and descriptions.
- Only that this alters original paintings they - are old and they are new and all they have new graphic arts. (20 tests and all the time the same)
Packed "fix" - s3oc_0907-29-1852 (s3oc_0908-08-1553 every time bug)
What is it bad ?
Eminence Grise
#100 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 2:49 AM
There is a standalone .dds converter, which you can use with ANY graphics app: http://developer.amd.com/gpu/compre...es/default.aspx .

For those who are finding their painting unexpectedly overrides the original that they cloned from... this can happen if you "orphan" your image resource, i.e., if you break the resource chain between the image and the base object (OBJD) by deleting too many resources from the package. I've done that accidentally on various kinds of recolors

Try cloning without deleting any resources except the thumbs (which will auto-generate).
Locked thread | Locked by: HugeLunatic Reason: Outdated ... Please see wiki for more up-to-date tutorial
Page 4 of 8