Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#101 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 3:05 AM
I will taste to make how you tell. I fear about size of file only

I thank
Advertisement
Test Subject
#102 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 3:24 AM
omg omg omg i got it too work it turns out i was selecting the wrong thing all along thanks soo much everyone
Lab Assistant
#103 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 10:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by damnedcitizen
help I did everything as said (although I worked on Gimp not Photoshop) and both the original painting and mine appear in the catalog with their own thumbnails but when I try to place mine on a wall it just turns into a green question mark on a red-blue background. what am I doing wrong?

can anyone help me?

I do not suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!
Eminence Grise
#104 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 10:41 AM
Well, there's something wrong with your texture, obviously. Can't tell exactly what that is without knowing how you produced it. "I did everything as said" is improbable, given the result

Number one thing to check would be -- are you sure you have the .dds plugin properly installed and used the right type of .dds compression when exporting?
Lab Assistant
#105 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 12:18 PM
okay..now you scare me...if my gimp opens dds files then could the plugin be installed wrong? I had some problems with that because I couldn't find any instructions on installing this plugin. as far as compression is considered, I used this DXT1 because I worked on the same painting as in the tutorial (the goth one) and it didn't have alphachannels.
but I was wondering about flattening the image, because in tutorial it says I should do it and later someone who used gimp instead of photoshop wrote that I shouldn't flatten it. I tried both, none worked, but still should I flatten or not?

Test Subject
#106 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 2:23 PM
Thanks a lot for this great tutorial!!! It's work just fine!
But I have a small problem, in tutorial it's says

"Mark the chackboxes for „Display: Names“ and „Tags“ so you can better see what resouces you
have in the package. Now the resource names and tags are shown in the resource list. This of
course is way more descriptive than the hexadecimal values."

But I can't find where to mark "Tags", I just don't have this options in s3oc, only „Display: Names“

so I have to go through all files until I find a correct one. Is there any other way finding _IMG-resource?
Alchemist
#107 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Balbesia
Thanks a lot for this great tutorial!!! It's work just fine!
But I have a small problem, in tutorial it's says

"Mark the chackboxes for „Display: Names“ and „Tags“ so you can better see what resouces you
have in the package. Now the resource names and tags are shown in the resource list. This of
course is way more descriptive than the hexadecimal values."

But I can't find where to mark "Tags", I just don't have this options in s3oc, only „Display: Names“

so I have to go through all files until I find a correct one. Is there any other way finding _IMG-resource?

Download the latest S3PE.
Test Subject
#108 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 4:15 PM
Thank you coltraz!
Field Researcher
#109 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 9:43 PM
Hello paint modders!

I have made a few paintings now, there are some glitches but not bad enough for my own use. But now I want to share some painting, so it is not good to have glitchy ones, yeah?

The problems I have:

The names I give to painting in S3OC doesn't "stick" too often. In this Vespa Girl collection of 6 painting it only stuck to one of them, the rest got numbers instead in game. I open and close S3OC between every session, and of course all objects got unique names. It does not matter if I make new clone for every time, or if I use same clone file.

The other problem is not much of a problem, it is actually preferable: the thumbnail that I save in S3OC does not show, instead it generates ingame thumbnail, which is much better actually. But my worry is: is it safe to do this?

Note: I have deleted all the _IMG and THUM in S3PE to save file space. But this does not matter for the issue of names in game.

Here you can see that it shows numbers instead for name and description. Only one of them has proper name & description.

I am also attaching a zip file with the collection of vespa girl paintings, so you can analyze them if you want.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  paintings.zip (1.43 MB, 11 downloads) - View custom content

My username here is sweetichigodream, but I am better known as Helena and/or Funny Bunny! :) would love to change username...
Eminence Grise
#110 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 11:59 PM
Numbers instead of names is what you see when the game doesn't find a string in the string table for whatever language is being displayed. Possibly you didn't have the "copy text to all languages" checkbox checked when you "fixed" your picture?

If you want the game to autogenerate thumbs, which is usually desirable, deleting the THUM resources in S3PE (either before or after "fixing") is the way to go. If you want to make your own thumbs, then you can replace them in the cloner, or edit them subsequently from s3pe.
Field Researcher
#111 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 1:06 AM
Thank you for your reply!

Then S3OC is somehow faulty? It is strange really, it works for the first (usually) painting and then the subsequent ones will not be saved properly.

I did save for all languages, and I use English language in Sims 3 after all (never like cheesy translations of programs/games!)

I also noticed that when I saved, and then shut down S3OC and then start again and open that previous file, it got empty fields.

hmm.

EDIT:
I just reopened all the Vespa Girl packages, and lo and behold, every file have proper names?! How odd.

Could you see on the package files I attached?

My username here is sweetichigodream, but I am better known as Helena and/or Funny Bunny! :) would love to change username...
Lab Assistant
#112 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 11:00 AM
Xanathon, thank you very much for the great tutorial!!!
I cloned the Book object and edited some textures... and it worked like a charm!

Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
Today is a gift, that is why
We call it the Present.
Lab Assistant
#113 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 6:01 PM
hm I already fixed the last problem I had myself, but now I was recolouring the 4-photos set and it appears in game and all, but the frame is white in each case, even though in CAST it shows up as wooden. how did I mess up again? lol

Lab Assistant
#114 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 12:07 PM
Quote:
I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit and I had the same problem. I fixed it by editing the helpers.txt file in the S3PE folder to indicate where the DDS viewer is installed. For example on my computer the edited location is as follows: dds.Viewer: C:\Program Files (x86)\ViewDDS\ViewDDS.exe To get the actual viewer to install I had to extract the file to the desktop and cut and paste the ViewDDS folder into the C:\Program Files (x86) and give administrator permission for it to be done. To edit the helpers.txt file I had to copy it to the desktop to be able to save the changes, and then cut and paste it back to where S3PE was installed.

I'm having this problem and I'm not sure how to do what this person did could someone help me please. I'm sorry if this has already been answered before and I have read most of the comments above.
Test Subject
#115 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 12:27 PM
I think i've got the same problem^^.
The link to the ViewDDS is down so i downloaded it somewhere else but it says the same messages as somewhere else up there
Quote:
application failed to start:
c:/Program files/ViewDDS/ViewDDS.exe/clipboard
The system can't find the data

I made the folders myself because thy weren't there.
Help ?
Lab Assistant
#116 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 1:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mr X.
I think i've got the same problem^^.
The link to the ViewDDS is down so i downloaded it somewhere else but it says the same messages as somewhere else up there

I made the folders myself because thy weren't there.
Help ?

thing is I got the view DDS files from the main website it comes from and I still have the problem. My guess is its because we use vista and it places all files in a different folder
Test Subject
#117 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 1:34 PM
i'm using XP... ^^
Test Subject
#118 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 4:48 PM
I have a problem with DDS VIEWER

I got viewer from "http://developer.nvidia.com/object/...ure_viewer.html"

I executed S3PE and chose 'paintinggoth_s_......', clicked 'Viewer'
But just 'Viewer' executed, I cant see painting( I removed 'alpha checkmark')
Instructor
#119 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 5:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
The way to get the game to autogenerate thumbnails is to remove the defaults from the package. I.E. use S3PE to remove all THUM resources. Voila -- new thumbnails by magic. That's something else that could be added to the tut.

This also works for objects as well. Just need to delete: Sims 3\Thumbnails\ObjectThumbnails.package when changing the object to get the game to re-generate the thumb.

All TS2 Downloads Link
All TS3 Downloads: Link
All Other downloads: Link
Skyrim SKSE 1.6.x gamepad key support: Link
Test Subject
#120 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 5:56 PM Last edited by Mr X. : 12th Aug 2009 at 6:13 PM.
@Alteysha:
Did you tried this ?

The Simlogical site is down, and will not be returning in its old form.
[...]
As for the DDS viewer, try this one instead: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/...ure_viewer.html
[...]

it works but then there is the next problem -.-:
it shows nothing. In the tutorial it says its normal, just turn off the alpha channel. But still nothing...
Can someone helpme there ?

Edit: aah nvm xD.
New Problem :D
Gimp still doesn't open .dss files.. xD
Help ? :P
Test Subject
#121 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 7:13 PM Last edited by simsgal2003 : 12th Aug 2009 at 9:13 PM. Reason: didnt want to make a new post question
I am having problems with the DDS viewer as well, not sure where it goes..have Nvidia DDS Installer but it just shows a dll file...and every time I get the application failed to start:
c:/Program files/ViewDDS/ViewDDS.exe/clipboard
The system can't find the data

any insturction would be wonderful as I am not that computer savy...
do I download the Windows Texture Viewer or the DDS Thumbnail viewer? I am asking becuase the html was missing someting cause I got a 404 not found
Test Subject
#122 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 7:49 PM Last edited by Mr X. : 12th Aug 2009 at 10:35 PM.
Look at my Post^^

The Simlogical site is down, and will not be returning in its old form.
[...]
As for the DDS viewer, try this one instead: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/...ure_viewer.html
[...]

Download it, put it into C:/program files/ViewDDS/. (create the folders if they aren't there)
And rename the file you downloadet to viewDDS.exe. Then it works to show it. (there will be nothing but if you do the next step of the tutorial, there will be the picture).
But i've still have the problem that gimp doesn't open DDS files -.-".
Could someone help me there, please ?

Edit:

By the way i got it to work
i downloaded this (DDSplugin for Gimp ;D and it works..

Don't foget to put the .package into the Mods/packages folder...
I did and wondered where my poster is
Lab Assistant
#123 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 12:27 AM Last edited by Alteysha : 13th Aug 2009 at 1:19 AM.
@Alteysha:
Did you tried this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikandi The Simlogical site is down, and will not be returning in its old form. [...] As for the DDS viewer, try this one instead: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/...ure_viewer.html [...]

I tried that but its still telling me what it did before

oh and I also tried this too

Quote:
Download it, put it into C:/program files/ViewDDS/. (create the folders if they aren't there)

EDIT: I was talking with a friend of mine who also had problems getting it to work and I was copying what you sugested and knotes I missed this part here

Quote:
And rename the file you downloadet to viewDDS.exe.

After doing that to the file, it worked Thank you so much for the help

Edit Again:
Okay now that the program is working, I have another problem, I can't seem to see the picture even with the Alpha unchecked. At first I thought it was the painting I wanted to use but its not, I loaded the one that used in tutu and still the same.
Test Subject
#124 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 10:36 AM
yeah i had the same problem. Just do the next step:
Quote:
Now that we know the correct texture, we mark it and click „File → Export“ in the menu. Save the DDS- to your workfolder.

If you are just working with this posters.

If not you just have to export all _IMG that are there because the Windows Texture Viewer doesn't show it with the view button.

Just export them and look then with the Windows Texture Viewer.
if its the right congratz if not try the other _IMG ;D.

Hope that it helps and my english was not too bad (i llove that smilie xD)
Lab Assistant
#125 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 11:50 AM Last edited by Alteysha : 14th Aug 2009 at 2:06 AM.
yeah i had the same problem. Just do the next step:

If you are just working with this posters.

If not you just have to export all _IMG that are there because the Windows Texture Viewer doesn't show it with the view button.

Just export them and look then with the Windows Texture Viewer.
if its the right congratz if not try the other _IMG ;D.

Hope that it helps and my english was not too bad (i llove that smilie xD)

kay I'll try that

edit the next day: YAY it worked. A Thank you to everyone who helped me =)
Locked thread | Locked by: HugeLunatic Reason: Outdated ... Please see wiki for more up-to-date tutorial
Page 5 of 8