Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 12:38 AM Last edited by isilra : 6th Jul 2012 at 12:58 AM.
Default Mesh recolor and blurry details
Hello!

I´m using TSR Workshop for creating stuff. I have been workin with some medieval clothing resently. And I just got rejection for few reasons. I´m going to fix those issues but I think that I also really need your help!

So my problem are blurry details. When I´m working with the textures in the photoshop the textures are crisp and clear. And when I download the textures in to the tsr workshop and later on the game there is some blurrines. So what to do? I have no idea why my sharp pictures changes into blurry on the game. My game settings should be ok.

When I was creating stuff for the sims 2 there were no problems like this. Sharp pictures stayed sharp.

And here is finally a picture of the dress. I am still working with the textures and I didn´t make the new changes yet (mean the ones I should to do after rejection). I want to solve the sharpness problem first. There is no point to fix the textures (mean shadows and stuff like that) if they stay blurry.

Close up. These are the my first testing retextures (the one I tried to upload wasn´t this bad) but you can see the blurrines better in this picture.

And here is a picture from TSR workshop. See how sharp those details are. The dress is the same. The difference is huge!

I was also wondering that is it even possible to get sharp textures by using photoskinning with the sims 3? Should I just move that ornament away from the dress or add it like a logo or a stencill? I already tried to work with the stencils but the result wasn´t any better.

It´s all in your head.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 1:48 AM
Did you turn your in-game graphics options right up when you were taking pictures?

What size is your texture?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 1:51 AM
i doubt if its in your files, more like in your computer.
Have a test without any other cc installed, only the dress(and delete your caches before booting)
If it is still blurry, let someone else test it.

Now for creating good textures you save as png or bmp first, then save as dds.
When you need to update the texture you continue with the bmp or png, NEVER edit a dds as you will lose quality each time you save and reopen it!

Always make sure you save in the correct format:
Multi is dxt1noalpha or dxt5interpolatedalpha
spec is always dxt1noalpha on CAS stuff.
Mask is dxt1noalpha for 3 castable and dxt5interpolatedalpha for 4 castable outfits.
overlay is always dxt5interpolatedalpha.
Make sure your texture editor generates mipmaps for the textures too.

Usually the preview is bad in TSRW but much better ingame so i suspect it is your computer causing this.
Make sure sim detail is set to high, you might need to update your graphic drivers.

Edit,
You have the same results with older versions of tsrw?
Might be a bug in tsrw aswell?
Forum Resident
#4 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 5:54 AM
Quote:
When you need to update the texture you continue with the bmp or png, NEVER edit a dds as you will lose quality each time you save and reopen it!

This is what I always do and have never seen any problems with quality. Meaning I always just work with DDS files when creating my textures. Is this a non photoshop thing?

Also if it is her graphics settings or PC wouldn't the pattern on the sleeves be all blurry, those look really good to me.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 10:01 AM
First thank you all so much for the answers!

All of my game settings are hight. In game pictures sims are really sharp but the dress is blurry. Like omegastarr82 said the the pattern on the sleeves aren´t blurry. So I think that my graphics settings and PC are ok.

I can´t remember the size of the texture because I use photoskinning and hand drawing. But original texture is bigger than tsr workshop files are. I needed to make it smaller to fit on the multiplier files. Multiplier files are the same size ass all EA textures are (or what the program creates). But anyway textures looks ok on tsr workshop.

Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase

Always make sure you save in the correct format:
Multi is dxt1noalpha or dxt5interpolatedalpha
spec is always dxt1noalpha on CAS stuff.
Mask is dxt1noalpha for 3 castable and dxt5interpolatedalpha for 4 castable outfits.
overlay is always dxt5interpolatedalpha.
Make sure your texture editor generates mipmaps for the textures too.

Thanks! I need to try this. I have only worked with dds. I have saved everything as dxt5interpolatedalpha because I saw that on one of the tutorials. So I need to change correct format for Mask. And maybe try to save multiplier also as dxt1noalpha.

My texture editor generates mipmaps. And I haven´t tried yet any older versions of tsr workshop.

It´s all in your head.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 10:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase

Yes, that is excellent advice, I found that out myself the hard way, when I wondered why my textures got more and more blurry each time I edited them. I wonder why DDS loses so much quality each time you save it??
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 10:59 AM
You can also avoid the problem by not re-opening your DDS - that is, create your texture, save your working version as PSD, XCF, or another format native to your graphics editor, and only use DDS as the final format for importing into TSRW/S3PE/CTU/whatever. You still do lose a tiny bit of quality, in the process of saving the DDS, but since you're only saving the DDS once and never re-opening it, it's not noticeable.

I generally have to do this anyway since most of my textures have tens of layers, but it's a good idea to do this for simple textures too.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 12:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omegastarr82
This is what I always do and have never seen any problems with quality. Meaning I always just work with DDS files when creating my textures. Is this a non photoshop thing?

Also if it is her graphics settings or PC wouldn't the pattern on the sleeves be all blurry, those look really good to me.

I have a old version of PS and its definatly losing quality when i keep editing the dds.
Your right about the sleeves.....they look good while the rest isn't.
strange.
Locked thread | Locked by: HugeLunatic Reason: Info on dds