Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 2:23 AM Last edited by Simoleon Real Estate : 23rd Feb 2013 at 12:40 AM.
Default **TESTERS WANTED** - Investment Mod
A description of what my mod does, why I came up with the idea, and how it works:
Sorry for the length, just trying to be as descriptive as possible.

I've been playing the Sims for YEARS.
The one thing that I really dislike about the game, is the lack of realism when it comes to the in-game economy. Now, I understand that every economy has many variables that come into play - no two global economies are the same.... I guess the in-game economy differs so much from the economy I face in real life, that it kind of makes the game less fun for me.

I think its the fact that its too easy to make money in this game.
Nothing is realistically priced - and any in-game monetary earnings aren't realistic either.

I'm in the process of changing that - for those of you that are annoyed by this issue as well.

My first release will be the "Realistic Property Investment Mod".... Name pending

This will take all of the rabbit-holes, and alter the investment/income prices.
It also introduces new properties to invest in.

Please note, there will still be world-specific properties that wont be modified - as for the most part, I agree with the predefined pricing structures (and because you'll need some cheap investment opportunities in the beginning).

Please see the attached graphic - this is a Investment Comparison chart for the properties I altered. This is organized by Initial Investment Cost (low to high).
I've taken the time to layout all of the things you'll want to know as an investor.

As for how I determined pricing for everything.....
This took Weeks of research and lots of math... Seriously.
I am in the United States, so to make this as accurate as possible, I went state-by-state and searched property and business values, profit/loss reports, tax records, etc.
So, I developed a chart of what I felt to be the "the most realistic prices possible"...
Unfortunately, I ran into a problem...
I didn't consider that the highest possible in-game net worth is only $99.9M.
That right there, prevents the ability to use realistic pricing for properties such as the Military Base, Hospital, Science/Research Facility, etc.
So, I was forced to scale down the pricing - back into "Sim" scale...
I took the pricing I came up with, and reduced the investment cost/income by various percentages, and came up with the pricing shown in the attached chart.

A few things to consider when looking at this chart:

* Think of "Investment Cost" as buying shares in a business.. Your are just that, an INVESTOR, someone who sees SOME of the income possible by a business. Lets say your investment only covers a 5-25% ownership in the listed business.

* Think of the "Buyout Cost" as paying off the other investors for their shares in the business. It will (in most cases) take a great deal of money to buyout your fellow investors, but (depending on the type of business) the risk could bring a pretty massive reward.

* You may look at the profits and say "hey, I know business XYZ makes WAY more than that a week!".... Please remember a few things:
The total profit of the business is not yours to keep.
The government will heavily tax all of your profits, they will heavily tax the land that your property resides on, you will have to pay quite a bit of money for insurance for your business and your employees, you will have to pay the salary of all of your employees, you will have to pay the utility bills for the structure the business is housed in, etc etc etc. Running a business isn't cheap - the bigger the business, the more expenses you have. With that said, the profits shown in this chart are strictly your weekly take home as an investor or owner of the property.

* You may look at the cost and say "hey, there is NO WAY that business costs THAT much!".... To which I reply, do some research on property (land) value, structure cost, legal costs for setting up/maintaining a business, employee salaries, insurance, taxation, etc.. And also consider that this pricing is based around a more american-style economic structure (of course, with the reduced "Sim" restricted pricing structure).

* You may notice that there are some properties that make you no money..
Think of the "Investment Cost" as a "donation". You are just a wealthy person that wants to give back a little bit, so you donate to the local school, city hall, police department, whatever...
Think of the "Buyout Cost" as being the sole-contributor to the cause. The person who has made it their philanthropic goal to really better the community. You are the millionaire that wants to buy a new school for the town, the war vet turned real estate mogul that wants to donate millions of dollars to the local military base, whatever.
This is a way for you to give back to the community (as well as get a tax write-off!).
Once you really start making money in life (and the sims), and you make that money work for you by reinvesting it, you will quickly see that its easy to generate a lot of money. If you are starting to reach that $99.9M limit, consider giving back to the community by investing in one of these properties.

* The only property that wasn't taken seriously was the Eiffel Tower.
I added this to the mod for fun. This is simply a donation-based property as described above. Lets say your "Investment Cost" is simply a donation to help maintain the historic monument. We'll say the "Buyout Cost" is for the millionaire history lover that wants to pay for the complete restoration of the historic monument, taking it back to how it looked the day it was completed. You are simply someone who has a true love and respect for the history/art/engineering/etc behind the monument (and... someone with A LOT of money!).

Thank you for taking the time to view/test/comment/etc.
I really appreciate your support!

Stay tuned, as I will be releasing some other mods that are related to this economic topic.

**Please note:
You will not see the option to "Invest" in the property until your net worth meets the investment/buyout cost.
This mod will not work correctly if you currently have any mods that alter the XML data of the various rabbit-holes.

Enjoy!
~Simoleon
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  SimoleonRealEstate_RealisticInvestments.zip (26.0 KB, 546 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Please comment!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 12:31 PM
FINALLY!!I was waiting for someone to bring some attention to the money/business/finance part of the game (the only reason to play the sims for me).
Gonna try that for sure
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2013 at 5:00 AM Last edited by Simoleon Real Estate : 23rd Feb 2013 at 12:42 AM.
Thank you for taking the time to download and comment, I hope you enjoy the new twist on investing!

On a side note, I'd like to add that I found a very nice mod to compliment this one:

Digitalchaos' Online Banking Mod

Why this mod is a nice compliment to my mod:

Allows you to extend the possible max net-worth of ts3 - You can create an online bank account that you can withdraw and deposit money from. You can constantly deposit funds into your account with no maximum limit (that I've found so far - play tested up to roughly $300M). I usually keep a few thousand bucks "On hand" (in my immediate funds - visible in the bottom left corner of the hud). Every time I collect rent from my tenants, I deposit the majority of the funds away into my "Savings Account". You can then withdraw as much money as you want (of course, up to the $99.9M possible to have "On hand").

Allows you to jump start your investing career - If you don't want to do the real hard work at first, and earn/save every penny to invest in your first property, you always have the option of taking out a loan! Obviously, there are some things to think about with loans - Interest Rates, Payments, etc.. You can definitely use a small personal loan to help jump start your Real Estate Empire, just be sure to do your research on the property before investing!

Feel like a pimp - My favorite feature! Who doesn't feel like a pimp when they go online to check their bank account, and they are greeted with a several hundred million dollar account balance?!?!?!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 22nd Feb 2013 at 8:34 AM
YES!!. Thank you for this mod. It is perfect for my sims, as they own most of the businesses around my sims world.
This would be a perfect upload on MTS, and when we are able to upload items again, this should be one of the first. Excellent work Simoleon Real Estate

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Test Subject
#5 Old 22nd Feb 2013 at 10:41 AM
the online banking mod was already a must in my game! definately fundamental for the economic aspect ; hope the next thing will be an overhaul of the existing stock market mod, unlocked and edited by buzzler (but he never went deep into it)
Instructor
#6 Old 22nd Feb 2013 at 11:36 AM Last edited by Digitalchaos : 22nd Feb 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Simoleon Real Estate
You can constantly deposit funds into your account with no maximum limit (that I've found so far - play tested up to roughly $300M).
Actually there is a limit...but I have no control over it.
The value is stored as a 'signed integer (int)' and the max value is: (+)(-)2,147,483,647 (0x7FFFFFF).
If I were to change it to an 'unsigned integer (uint)' the max would be: 4,294,967,295 (0xFFFFFFFF)

Max values:
  • CURRENT: signed integer (int32): 2,147,483,647 (0x7FFFFFF)
  • unsigned integer (uint32): 4,294,967,295 (0xFFFFFFF) (no negative amounts, cannot use for LoanBalance)
    These, start to, get a little ridiculous:
  • signed long (int64): 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 (0x7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF) (theoretical maxium, for LoanBalance/AccountBalance, if we are to use the same datatype for each)
  • unsigned long (uint64): 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF) (no negative amounts, cannot use for LoanBalance) (maximum for AccountBalance)

PS: If you collect rent, you can setup Auto Direct Deposit through the account object in the inventory.
'Configure -> Setup Direct Deposit -> Set Direct Deposit Amount'
-also-
'Configure -> Setup Direct Deposit -> Set Auto Loan payment Amount' (if you want to auto pay loans)
Then the funds will be taken from household funds and deposited into you account (or for loan payements, paid from the account balance or household funds)

Further More: (you do one even better)
Setup Auto Sim Payments: (If your tenents are selectable/playable)
  • Select one of tenants (make them active)
  • Choose 'Configure-> Setup Auto Sim Payments->Add Sim To Pay'
  • Choose your landlord sim, in the dialog and click the 'check' mark
  • Enter the information into dialog(s) that come up
    *Order is: 'payment name', 'amount to pay', 'repeat time', 'repeat time unit'
Note: as of v1.16.48178.813 (Configure-> Setup Auto Sim Payments->Stop Paying Sim) does not seem to be working correctly
EDIT2: 1.16.48178.818 has been released and should resolve that issue
PS: I can change the datatype used for the AccountBalance and LoanBalance to something other than 'int' if people want to store more than 2,147,483,647 simoleans)
* note the LoanBalance, must be a signed data type (because it balance is negative), so the max for Loans would be 9,223,372,036,854,775,807, and by extension that would also be the limit on the account balance)

All TS2 Downloads Link
All TS3 Downloads: Link
All Other downloads: Link
Skyrim SKSE 1.6.x gamepad key support: Link
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 23rd Feb 2013 at 12:11 AM
I would like to test this out - does it need just base game and WA?

Also, is it possible to create new opportunities or something to go along with philanthropy and investment? If so, it would be cool to go to shareholder meetings and have the chance for stocks to rise or fall; oor for philanthropy, to be invited to give a speech or something, and increase relationship points with people involved with the property...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Feb 2013 at 1:53 AM
Daniandan - Wow, thank you so much, glad you enjoy the mod! I hope I will be given the chance to release it formally on the website, we'll see..

manustyle90 - I'm bummed that I just found out about it the other day... I cant see how I ever lived without it - absolutely crucial to my style of game play!

As for the other mods that are in consideration for this "economy" package:

- Realistic worlds - I will release a copy of each of the worlds that will have more realistic real estate values, beautiful vista moodlets, etc. I'm sick of seeing mansions on priceless waterfront land that cost $200k.... #%#&^$%*(@#$&@ THIS HAPPENS NO MORE! Land location, neighboring homes, the city itself, the property view, etc, will all be taken into consideration with each lot on all of the base worlds (and maybe even some ep or store worlds).
- Realistic wages - Exactly this, more realistic work/pay ratios for the various careers in the game.
- Realistic net worths - Alter the net worth of the other sims in the town... I'm sick of seeing celebrity sims, living in mansions, driving crazy cars - with the household funds being only a few thousand bucks..... again: @#$^$%@#@#%^
Well - I guess they could have blown their cash, and thats REALLY all they have left - but still.... lol
- And a few others that are super top secret!!! Maybe if you ask nicely, I might do a pre-release in the Creator Feedback Forum.

As for reworking other mods - I might mess around with it, but I'll definitely need to get it cleared by the original creator, as I dont want to rip off anyones hard work.
Thanks again for downloading/commenting!

Digitalchaos - Thank you for taking the time to check out my mod, and comment. And of course, thank you for creating that EPIC banking mod!!!!

I stand corrected - I didn't realize there were limits in the balance/loan amounts.
Thank you for taking the time to highlight this information.

As for the Auto Pay features - I had no idea this was possible - AWESOME!
Instead of going to each tenant and collecting a check, make them mail it to you.
As of today, Im going to put my foot down!

I do, however, wish the max limits can be changed.
Now, I've never exceeded $2B in the game ever - but thats because I just discovered your mod. Ideally, I would like to see if I can beat the net worth of some of the richest people in the world. The richest being Carlos Slim with a net worth of approx $70B.
So, if you can make the limit around $71B, I'll be happy
If you had the free time to change the datatype from 'int' to something larger, you'd be my hero!

Thanks again!

lulume - Awesome, glad to hear that you want to try this out! Its a pretty simple process, and I'd be happy to walk you through it!

First, download the .ZIP file from my original post. This contains a .PACKAGE file, to which you will need to save in your mods/packages folder.

This does alter the XML data for objects that are EP or SP specific, however you are not required to own any of those EPs or SPs, the altered XML files will simply be overlooked if you don't have the appropriate master files.
Please keep in mind, this is an Override Mod - meaning, it will override the default information for the various properties contained in this mod. Of course, you can always delete this mod from your packages folder if you no longer want to have this information overwritten.

Please let me know what you think about the mod, and if you have any other questions!
dodgy builder
#9 Old 23rd Feb 2013 at 12:52 PM
I'm patched to 1,50 just today. Haven't got a clue what that's doing.

Then I have Buzzler's builders mods, twallan's mastercontroller w/cheats, integration and progression, register, relationshipPanel, storyprogression w/extra and skill, and traveler. I also have Jynx rugs and test properties with it installed.

I expect my game to crash spectacularly first try. Will be back if I can figure out what is what lol
Instructor
#10 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 10:27 PM
I do, however, wish the max limits can be changed.
Now, I've never exceeded $2B in the game ever - but thats because I just discovered your mod. Ideally, I would like to see if I can beat the net worth of some of the richest people in the world. The richest being Carlos Slim with a net worth of approx $70B.
So, if you can make the limit around $71B, I'll be happy
If you had the free time to change the datatype from 'int' to something larger, you'd be my hero!

signed long (int64 -or- long): 9,223,372,036,854,775,80 (in the Quintillions)(order is billions->trillions->quadrillions->Quintillion)
unsigned long (uint64 -or- ulong): 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 (in the Quintillions)(order is billions->trillions->quadrillions->Quintillion)

I think if I update to a long you can have:
long: 9 Quintillion, 223 quadrillion, 372 trillion, 036 billion, 854 million, 775 thousand, and 80 simeolens
ulong: 18 Quintillion, 446 quadrillion, 744 trillion, 073 billion, 709 million, 551 thousand, and 615 simeolens (long * 2)

1 Quintillion = 1x10^18 (ie: 1,000,000,000,000,000,000)
1 Quadrillion = 1x10^15 (ie: 1,000,000,000,000,000)
1 Trillion = 1x10^12 (ie: 1,000,000,000,000)
1 Billion = 1x10^8 (ie: 1,000,000,000)
1 Million = 1x10^6 (ie: 1,000,000)
1 thousand = 1x10^3 (ie: 1,000)
hundreds = 1x10^2 (ie: 100)
tens = 1x10^1 (ie: 10)
ones = 1x10^0 (ie: 1)

see als: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_large_numbers

(IE: a crap load)
I just did not think anyone would need that much!!

All TS2 Downloads Link
dodgy builder
#11 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 10:31 AM
I'm just going to write something about my experience with investments and such. I haven't really done this much, but I had many lots to test and this works nicely as spice in between on my blog. This is only 1 sims week. I may get more time testing later.

Mods now installed: Only Buzzlers mods, I also took out the NPC door part of the builders mod. I also kept Jynx rugs. Twallans mods obviously crashed. I don't know which though, I just took them out.

My testing subject bought a horse ... oh no it was free from the adoption. What about including that? It was a good horse as well.

She bought 3 estates, and those silly approvements she needed to do. Like adding a toilet and a sink to a Disco I made. Yes, sure whatever

Testing mod by Volvenom, on Flickr

This are her 3 lots.
1: The Neon Disco:

060213 Neon Bar by Volvenom, on Flickr

This she bought for 154k, it's about 30x30 Disco dance something from Late Night made by me.

2: Ramberg Heis, Brown Bar:

ElevatorTopLot185 by Volvenom, on Flickr

This she bought for 54k, it's pretty small 10x20 or something. It has a routing trap in the spiral staircase, and is missing most chairs and fun stuff for a bar, it does have a professional bar and some beds. She also didn't own it the hole week. I should have done the procentage calculation here, but I don't have the time.

3: The Mountain Lodge:

210113 Mountain Lodge by Volvenom, on Flickr

This is a very big place 64x30 or something. It's a hangout with bar, food register, and music, also bedrooms upstairs. It fully deserves it's pricetag of massive 441k.

Conclusions on the first week: The mountain lodge is the most expensive and it's fully working. The Disco is also fully working. The little slightly useless Ramberg Heis though, not even a full week. I'm not sure what 3400 is, but it's a nice place if you don't mind getting trapped, or don't miss a dartboard even.

I didnt' get any requests for upgrades on the Ramberg Heis lot, even though there should be tons. I haven't really looked very much into what the mod is doing, but I guess most of this is EA's work. The prices though seems reasonable in sims terms lol. Perhaps a Disco lot would gain more than than the lodge?

Where should I go now?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Feb 2013 at 2:19 AM
Digitalchaos - Man, you're makin' me feel greedy now, LOL! Its a bummer that the next possible jump up is such a ridiculous figure. I mean, who in their lifetime could accumulate that amount of wealth? It would never happen in this lifetime, that's for sure!

On the other side of the coin, thats such a large number that it would make your mod feel like it has no limit. I like the idea of knowing I can set any sort of goal for myself, and have it be theoretically achievable (even though it may never really happen).

I vote yes to releasing the massive net worth version - who's with me?!?

Volvenom - Thank you for taking the time to test my mod!
I apologize, but I'm unfamiliar with the Scandinavian language shown in your screenshots, so its hard to tell what I'm looking at.

I believe you have misunderstood what exactly this mod does.
This mod edits the cost/profit values of Rabbithole Venues.
The Venues shown in your screenshots are not Rabbitholes, so they are unaffected by this mod. (Rabbitholes are structures that your sim enters and disappears for a period of time - see the list of business in the screenshot from my original post, those are all Rabbiholes.)
dodgy builder
#13 Old 28th Feb 2013 at 10:13 AM
Ah ok, I don't have any of those in my hood yet hm ... LOL. I do have Jynx rugs rabbitholes though, but I couldn't select those. They are perhaps not compatible?

Edit: It might save you some more confusions to add that in the title of the thread
Instructor
#14 Old 1st Mar 2013 at 2:21 AM Last edited by Digitalchaos : 29th Mar 2013 at 9:11 AM.
Digitalchaos - Man, you're makin' me feel greedy now, LOL! Its a bummer that the next possible jump up is such a ridiculous figure. I mean, who in their lifetime could accumulate that amount of wealth? It would never happen in this lifetime, that's for sure!

On the other side of the coin, thats such a large number that it would make your mod feel like it has no limit. I like the idea of knowing I can set any sort of goal for myself, and have it be theoretically achievable (even though it may never really happen).

I vote yes to releasing the massive net worth version - who's with me?!?

I tried a test with changing the type from int to long ... it would work. However, there was a slight problem.
The current saved values in the account would be wiped-out and reverted to 0 (zero); so, it would break everyone's game.

I did create an svn branch to work on it and once I can manage to make the values backwards-compatible with older version(s)...I will release it.
Until then you will have to be content with a maximum of 2,147,483,647.

EDIT: new version:
v1.16.48178.835
+ max account balance increased from: $2,147,483,647 to $18,446,744,073,709,551,615
+ max loan balance increased from: $2,147,483,647 to $9,223,372,036,854,775,807

v1.17.48178.924
+ Max account/loan balance is now: -3.4 x 10^38 to +3.4 x 10^38 (float value)

All TS2 Downloads Link
Locked thread | Locked by: spladoum Reason: Old, appears to be abandoned. Will unlock if OP requests.