Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jun 2013 at 10:37 AM
Default Naval Piercings
I'm creating a huge new set of naval piercings. They are somewhat limited though, as the texture resolution is low and I can't use bump maps, as far as I've been able to find, since I'm not using a mesh. That also means they stretch with fitness (or rahter, lack of it), but it's not a huge problem. What I'm mainly after is your opinion on what you think of them, is it any use for me to create more sets? What piercings would you like to see? Below follows pictures of what I've done so far followed by some specific questions I have about the set.

Considering I cannot use bump maps I think the result was very good, making them look like they're on top of the skin. The piercings on the last 3 rows are combined into sets of 2-4 piercings per set, meaning I put them all in one package, and they show up on the same row in the CAS catalogue. This is to save space in this already large catalogue.

Should I continue working on the sets? (In that case, I have plans of more dangling jewelry, like #3, and a zodiac set like the bottom ones)
Do you know if I can force bump maps? Do you think it's necessary?
I could not get specular reflections to work - as far as I can find that is done by using the alpha channel of the specular texture. I don't get 4 channel textures to work however so I can't try it out.
Do you want me to put more of them in set, or all in one set?
Is it a deal breaker that they stretch as the sim gets fatter?

Thankful for all input!
Screenshots

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong

- Oscar Wilde
Advertisement
Inconceivable!
#2 Old 15th Jun 2013 at 3:58 PM
I *love* the idea of navel piercings, but without a mesh some of them look a bit painted on to me. Can we see some pictures outside of CAS? The in game lighting can give things a completely different appearance. Also, this may be a stupid question, but will they still work if people are using custom skins? I'm just not sure if all the creators paint their belly buttons in the same place or not, lol.

Bump maps are usually used in conjunction with meshes, I believe. With clothes, at least, they are referenced in the mesh comments, so I'm not sure if it's possible to have a bump map without a mesh. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can answer that question for you.

I'm not certain how you're creating this since there is no mesh, but as for adding specular I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. This is an accessory I assume, and not a tattoo or something right? I don't understand what you mean by using the alpha channel of the specular texture to create specular reflections, so I'm afraid I can't help you much with that. As far as I know, the specular texture doesn't have an alpha channel; you add more shine to the object simply by brightening up the specular itself.

Honestly, the stretching thing would bother me a little. Well, actually, it depends on how bad it stretches. Can you show us some comparison pictures? If it's only at the extreme ends of the slider range, then it's probably not a problem.

Sorry to sound so discouraging! I really love the idea, and I'm very eager to see some more photos.
Scholar
#3 Old 15th Jun 2013 at 9:09 PM
Nice start! These are very attractive! I agree that some look a bit painted on. To help with that and make them look more three dimensional, can you add or add more shadow/shading in a crescent shape at the bottom/side of the balls? (Actually on the balls, if that makes sense.) That, and/or more shadows might help - like you've done with the animal dangles. The single gold hearts probably need it the most. Looking forward to an update!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Jun 2013 at 10:00 PM Last edited by Kimsie : 16th Jun 2013 at 8:10 PM. Reason: Reply to second post
Thank you so much for your feedback. I spent a whole lot of time on these and realised it might be a good idea to find out whether it was actually worth it making more. I'm away for the weekend and can't get any pictures of what they look like on unfit sims, but it is only an issue when you pull the slider to the very extreme (and I have the awesome mod, unsure whether that even increase the slider range, which means it might not usually be a problem - will look into that! ).

Yes, that's what I seemed to find about bump maps as well. I don't currently know how to do meshing, so these will have to do (although, that may change in the future). About specular, I read somewhere that the reflectiveness you find for instance on appliances etc out of metal, where the environment is reflected?, could be achieved by indeed using an alpha channel for the specular map. I tried to experiment with this, but when I tried to use 4 channels, that messed them up completely and however I tried, I could not find any solutions so I gave it up. Since they are metal, it would have been a great effect though, if it's even possible.

A very good point with custom skins, as most people seem to have one. I will look into it and get back to you (when I've managed to shake up some pictures of the fat sims as well).

I will try and fix the balls and hearts - are there any others you think look very painted on?

I really appreciate all your input!

- Oscar Wilde
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Jun 2013 at 8:46 PM
So here's an updated image with extra information. Changes:
  • In-game pictures
  • Updated the balls textures
  • Custom skin

Apparently they work on a custom skin at least... Will take more testing on custom skins to see if it's a trend But the naval is not in the exact same position but they still look good, so that's promising.

You reckon the balls textures were better? Or do they still look painted on?
Screenshots

- Oscar Wilde
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 17th Jun 2013 at 1:33 AM
It doesn't stretch that much in the fat Sim. I think it wouldn't be a problem. Nice work!

Live your life to d fullest! B happy!!
Retired Staff Member
retired moderator
#7 Old 17th Jun 2013 at 9:55 AM
I'm loving this! I like the Idea of the animals what I dint like is that with the EA skin-tone can see much of belly button but when i saw the pic with the custom skin-tone I was reveled but I must opinion that with the specular, add more shininess in the part where there is no shadow and less shininess where the shadow is, to make it easier to put the specular correct you can take the basetexture imagine put it over the specular and edit it remember the more white you add in a spot/area the more shiny it gets, the more black you add in a spot/area the less shiny/matte it gets
Mad Poster
#8 Old 17th Jun 2013 at 4:47 PM
the ball textures do look a lot better, i would just say that the piece that hangs off could use a more 3d looking technique. it might be alright however.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Jun 2013 at 6:10 PM
Thank you so much for your input!

@King_Deadly: Do you want to see more or less of the belly button. If I understand correctly what you say about specular, that's already what I do - it's basically the base texture with extra contrast. The "top" of the ball should be all white.

@christmas_fear: Thank you, I'll leave them then - honestly, I don't think I could make it better. More shadow only leaves them looking weird and too dark. I think the way the hanging pieces currently are made I can't do much more - it made them look weird. I will revisit it though and see what I can do!

Will upload when I have new pictures. Until then - further feedback is always appreciated!

- Oscar Wilde
Retired Staff Member
retired moderator
#10 Old 17th Jun 2013 at 7:00 PM
Well at least I would say see a bit more the belly button so you know the piercing is for the belly button heh, cause if you cant see the belly button you might assume its an alien, but in other words it does look nice even if you can't see much of a belly button with the EA skin tone but that's just my opinion but I will say and say it again, You did an amazing job at this
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Jun 2013 at 9:08 PM
Thank you! That's really nice to hear
Oh, great, now I'm with you with what you were after. Will see if moving them a little will be better. I chose the location due to the very small belly buttons on the EA default skins. Again, thank you for your feedback!

- Oscar Wilde
Mad Poster
#12 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 8:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kimsie
@christmas_fear: Thank you, I'll leave them then - honestly, I don't think I could make it better. More shadow only leaves them looking weird and too dark. I think the way the hanging pieces currently are made I can't do much more - it made them look weird. I will revisit it though and see what I can do!

that sounds good i kind of assumed that would be the case but i figured the suggestion wouldn't hurt. :p
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 4:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by christmas fear
that sounds good i kind of assumed that would be the case but i figured the suggestion wouldn't hurt. :p

Definitely! Suggestions of how to make it better are always greatly appreciated... Who knows, I may not have thought of it :D

- Oscar Wilde
Mad Poster
#14 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 5:14 PM
so, can you show some updated examples with ea skin? also, where is the custom skin you used from just out of curiosity?
Retired Staff Member
retired moderator
#15 Old 19th Jun 2013 at 3:44 AM
Do you have any new pics with the piercing lowered or something?
Inconceivable!
#16 Old 19th Jun 2013 at 5:29 PM
Hi again Kimsie. Thanks for providing in game pictures. Just a quick suggestion, however- The outdoor lighting in TS3 is ridiculously harsh and unflattering. Next time, try putting your Sims indoors, surrounded by those nifty lights from the buydebug catalog (the ones that become invisible in live mode). You might have to play around with the spacing and intensity to reduce bloom and maximize brightness, but it makes for much prettier pictures.

As for the fat morph, can we see how some of the other designs work on larger sims? I agree with ChiK_HeinekeN that the ball design doesn't look too stretched at all, but I'm still a bit concerned about some of the animals and the hearts and things. Also, I think that King_Deadly is right about needing to lower them slightly to fit the EA skins better, but would it be possible to show us how the new, altered rings sits on a custom skin too? I don't see it being an issue, but I'm curious if it will still look as nice. Finally, I have to say that I like the smaller ones better than the large animals. They look a lot more realistic and multidimensional to me. In my opinion, I'd stick with the top half of the rings shown in your picture (the one in the first post), and maybe work on the rings in the bottom three rows some more.

I think they're coming along nicely, and I can't wait for an update! Good work! =D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 19th Jun 2013 at 5:38 PM
I will try and find time to work on it this weekend, then post new pictures I'll definitely try and find the build lights to take better pictures indoor.

Don't you mean to raise them? I am trying to model them on the top part of the navel. The bottom ball is currently covering most of the EA navel, lowering them would make the piercing look like it sat on the bottom part on the navel, I think.

Edit: The skin is ESkin-nAtural+

- Oscar Wilde
Inconceivable!
#18 Old 19th Jun 2013 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kimsie
Don't you mean to raise them? I am trying to model them on the top part of the navel. The bottom ball is currently covering most of the EA navel, lowering them would make the piercing look like it sat on the bottom part on the navel, I think.

Oops! Yes, I think I meant to say raise them. Sorry about that.
Retired Staff Member
retired moderator
#19 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 5:46 PM
Oh yeah in my post I said raised but the last one lowered my bad! Yeah raise them I meant hehe
Locked thread | Locked by: spladoum Reason: will open if OP requests.