Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2013 at 4:36 AM Last edited by SIMplified : 27th Jun 2013 at 3:28 AM. Reason: I forgot some things
Tops For Mermaids; update post 4
"Mermaids" is used loosely. It was more inspired and is in honor of the new Mermaids that Paradise Island gave us. I don't have it. But I have these and really, really, really want some strong feedback for improving them. I see obvious issues, and really would love any advice/tips for those

There are 3 tops and I took a side, front and back view for each. I'm calling them Shell Top, Maiden Scales and StarFish Halter.
Btw, bump maps are very fun to play with when it's your first time.

Thanks in advance :D

All hair is by Peggy
The tops are cloned from the Bikini Tie Halter
And the mermaid tails are from http://www.mtsims-cakestore.com/%E6...1%A3%E6%9C%8D4/

I'm the 1 and only SIMplified :D
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 26th Jun 2013 at 7:28 PM
I think they're lovely. Nice job

Live your life to d fullest! B happy!!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 26th Jun 2013 at 11:17 PM
I am no pc expert i'm afraid, so I can't really help you technically, though I would like to advise a little on the starfish bikinitop. The starfishes look a bit fat, and I would suggest you cut a little back in the inner corners of the star making the star look a bit slimmer.

Because a starfish looks a bit like this:

And your's look a bit much like this:

The other ones look geat if you ask me!! The starfish too, but less.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Jun 2013 at 12:20 AM Last edited by SIMplified : 27th Jun 2013 at 3:27 AM.
Bwahahaha! It does. Ugh. Now it's creepy. Patrick is...supporting...

In my defense I was going off of this cutie here! I found him when I typed in island starfish :D

But when I tried to recreate it's spots and tips...it ended up looking like a very scary skin ailment.

I'll slim down the chubby starfish though, that could help it from looking like it's gonna snap when you increase the bust.

UPDATE:

Ok so I've done some touch ups, adjustments and I prefer my latest starfish design (:

Please keep giving me feedback

Scholar
#5 Old 27th Jun 2013 at 5:19 AM
I think you've made a great start! All the designs are looking a bit flat / painted on right now. Maybe some more shading and shadows - particularly on the "beads" of the shell top. They are lovely and I'd like to see them look more 3 dimensional.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Jun 2013 at 2:46 PM
Agreed, I just noticed that the more dark you make them the more flat and painted they become. I've made them semi transparent, should I undo that or is transparency not a worry?

Inconceivable!
#7 Old 28th Jun 2013 at 10:22 AM
It's a really cute idea, but it looks more like body paint to me than an actual seashell or starfish or seaweed. You've done a really good job with the textures here, imo, especially your second attempt at the starfish, but again it's very 2D. I kind of want to suggest that you change your premise to mermaid themed body paint, but I don't know if you'd go for that or not. Feedback:

-The seaweed and starfish look good, but on the seaweed I don't like the shell necklace. It's too flat and looks like a tattoo.
-The shells need some more work, unless you're going with the body paint idea. The shell itself looks less realistic than the others, and the beads are not helping matters. It's hard to say what exactly about the shell is wrong, but it seems... cartoony and drawn on to me.
-How do these look with the morphs? In addition to the fat/fit/thin sliders, make sure you test them with the breast slider too. I can't tell if you've used it at all or not on those sims, but you should check for distortion, stretching, etc.

Good job though! I like them.
Test Subject
#8 Old 28th Jun 2013 at 2:29 PM
these are nice....i agree with the others needs a more 3D look...needs to look more like a top or an addition and not paint /tattoo...i like the shell one (especially the back) and the one with the necklace....the starfish looks good jus needs some tweaking as well- like more defined "starfish" look
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Jun 2013 at 5:05 PM Last edited by SIMplified : 30th Jun 2013 at 9:29 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Buckley
It's a really cute idea, but it looks more like body paint to me than an actual seashell or starfish or seaweed. You've done a really good job with the textures here, imo, especially your second attempt at the starfish, but again it's very 2D. I kind of want to suggest that you change your premise to mermaid themed body paint, but I don't know if you'd go for that or not. Feedback:

-The seaweed and starfish look good, but on the seaweed I don't like the shell necklace. It's too flat and looks like a tattoo.
-The shells need some more work, unless you're going with the body paint idea. The shell itself looks less realistic than the others, and the beads are not helping matters. It's hard to say what exactly about the shell is wrong, but it seems... cartoony and drawn on to me.
-How do these look with the morphs? In addition to the fat/fit/thin sliders, make sure you test them with the breast slider too. I can't tell if you've used it at all or not on those sims, but you should check for distortion, stretching, etc.

Good job though! I like them.

Yep I've been repositioning them, the sliders distort them and ruin the image. I've actually made a futile attempt to make a mesh to stick these on. Almost got something but not quite there.
I agree about the 2D so this body paint idea's got my interest and I'd love to hear more (:

UPDATE: So I was cleaning out my massive downloads folder (where my gimp projects were stored along with many body geoms) and didn't realize until I emptied the bin that my mermaid tops and socks and other projects were gone. Guess that means this thread's on hold. Luckily I still have the screenshots so I'll just take them from there when I've got the time. Since I needed to do a lot of work on them I'm not too sad about that, more annoyed that I have to start from scratch

Locked thread | Locked by: Yogi-Tea Reason: Old - will re-open if requested