Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2020 at 1:54 AM Last edited by Lemurphs : 11th Jun 2020 at 2:51 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Free camera is relentlessly and immediately drifting to the top left corner
I’m having the weirdest... bug?... with my free cam (Tab) and it seems to have started today. At least I’ve never noticed it before. As you can see from this video, when I press Tab to go into free cam, my camera immediately starts drifting to the top left corner. The game doesn’t seem to register my mouse moving down and/or right in free cam, it will just keep drifting until I’m looking at the sky.

It isn't an issue on any other part of the game (not during live mode, map view, etc), or on any other application on my my PC. It doesn’t seem to be my mouse, there’s nothing leaning on my keyboard, nor do I have another device that would be causing this issue. I’ve rebooted my PC, reinstalled and repaired the game and started afresh on a clean game folder but it happens every time I launch the game to test.

Interestingly if I go to the options menus and tick ‘Invert Vertical Camera Rotation” and “Invert Horizontal Camera Rotation” the drift still happens by it goes in the opposite direction, down and right.

I understand this might technnically fall under a general PC issue but The Sims 3 is the only application where I'm having a problem and I don't know if this has come up for anybody else who might have a fix?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 10th Jun 2020 at 9:34 AM Last edited by Lemurphs : 3rd Feb 2022 at 7:05 AM.
Solved! I uninstalled the game manually by deleting The Sims 3 folder in my Origin Games directory and now that I've reinstalled it, the camera seems to be fixed.

Hopefully the issue's gone for good.

EDIT: It's been a long time since I posted this but I had the issue a few times more since then and uninstalling/reinstalling didn't actually seem to be the fix at all.

What I failed to notice is that this issue only happened when the game was set to use a resolution smaller than the current resolution of my display - i.e. if my game was 1920x1080 but my display was 3840x2160. That's literally it, if they match then there's no drift, if they don't match then there is. I felt very silly when I realized it was something so simple and obvious.

I just wanted to add that update because it occurred to me other people might come across this answer if they ever have the same problem.