Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Aug 2021 at 9:24 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Game doesn't launch
I always launch my game through Radeon Pro (have been for years) to limit the FPS. I always had AMD cards and that never created an issue.
The first time this has happened was a few weeks ago when I was fiddling with the Smoothness patch. I thought that was the cause, created a new game folder and things were ok again.

Now it's happening again and I don't think it's the Smoothness Patch.

Behaviour:
Game music starts, I see the launching bar for 2 seconds and then it closes.

I run everything from an SSD.
Game is pre-2012 Disc-install.

I tried unsuccessfully:
Take out the Smoothness patch.
Delay the Patch.
Launch with the EA launcher.
Circumvent any launcher and launch with TSW.exe.

I tried successfully:
Removing the Game folder and have it create a new one.

However, once it put things back, it happens again now. Can this be a mod issue? I added recently (all are updated):

Smoothness patch: https://modthesims.info/d/658759/smooth-patch.html
Open for Business: https://modthesims.info/d/656829/si...nsion-v1-4.html
Update for Buzzlers scribbling pad https://modthesims.info/d/659002/bu...-pad-fixed.html
Back To Nature Lifetime Wishes: https://modthesims.info/d/658516/ba...oorspeople.html
Ultimate Careers Mod update SonjaYU: https://modthesims.info/d/657354/ze...d-23-08-21.html
Cat Fishing Skill: https://modthesims.info/d/656115/cat-fishing-skill.html

What I also noticed: With every unsuccessful launch, the game creates a memory dump mdmp file. I don't know what that means but I thought I might mention it. I've never had that before.

Any ideas what causes this?

My Device Config:
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 4 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 3593 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 4391 RAM: 16266 Adjusted RAM: 15754 Cores: 12
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows 8 6.2.9200
OS prod type: 0
OS major ver: 6
OS minor ver: 2
OS SP major ver: 0
OS SP minor ver: 0
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: AuthenticAMD
Brand: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
Family: 15
Model: 1
Cores: 12
HT: 0
x64: 0
Memory: 16266MB
Free memory: 11615MB
User: Scully
Computer: TOOMS
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): Radeon RX 570 Series
Name (database): AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 67df, Board: c5701682, Chipset: 00ef
Driver: aticfx32.dll, Version: 27.20.21003.8013, GUID: D7B71EE2-249F-11CF-7F6A-7BB754C2D635
Driver version: 8013
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 1024MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Aug 2021 at 12:02 AM
Are you using NRaas mods? I mean, I suspect so but just checking because there are two combinations of missing stuff that will cause the game to crash on startup every time pretty much as you have described. And no, the memory dumps are even more useless than the crash logs and they can just be deleted.

1 - The MC Progression module requires both the MasterController base mod and the StoryProgression base mod. If the SP mod isn't loading, then the game will crash on startup. This isn't something that tends to happen all of a sudden though, as taking out SP if it were once there is kind of a big decision to make.

2 - Cupcake requires the bakery store set, or at least the display case, to load. Sometimes players keep the same mods but haven't yet gotten around to the store content when they build a new TS3 user game folder, or they aren't yet realizing that none of their store or store premium content is loading at all and this is just the first symptom. But if Cupcake is present, at the very least take it out for now so as to avoid this particular crash.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Aug 2021 at 12:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Are you using NRaas mods? I mean, I suspect so but just checking because there are two combinations of missing stuff that will cause the game to crash on startup every time pretty much as you have described. And no, the memory dumps are even more useless than the crash logs and they can just be deleted.

1 - The MC Progression module requires both the MasterController base mod and the StoryProgression base mod. If the SP mod isn't loading, then the game will crash on startup. This isn't something that tends to happen all of a sudden though, as taking out SP if it were once there is kind of a big decision to make.

2 - Cupcake requires the bakery store set, or at least the display case, to load. Sometimes players keep the same mods but haven't yet gotten around to the store content when they build a new TS3 user game folder, or they aren't yet realizing that none of their store or store premium content is loading at all and this is just the first symptom. But if Cupcake is present, at the very least take it out for now so as to avoid this particular crash.

Thank you! This at least gives me a place to start checking for problems.

1. I am using NRAAS, pretty much everything with every add-on and module. I have for a long time and haven't changed anything lately except trying the Testing version of Woohooer. I could stop doing that but it seems unlikely?
2. I don't use Cupcake.
However, now I am wondering if using a decrapified version of the Dairy Corral and the Chicken Coop things might interfere with me having installed the Back to Nature -- Lifetime Wishes mod? Might that have something to do with it? The Country Caretaker wish https://modthesims.info/d/658516/ba...oorspeople.html requires them.
And this is a recent addition to my game.
Instructor
#5 Old 29th Aug 2021 at 1:18 AM
It could be that, that LTW might not recognize decrapped items. Pull that one and test it. If that is it you might want to let the creator know so he can add that to his post so others know.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Aug 2021 at 2:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Implying I'm not giving you a place to start? Thanks a lot.

You can either do guess work or you can do this systematically. You made recent changes, stop and revert those changes. Otherwise go back to the foundation of what works, a clean game and then slowly integrate your old user folder material into it until you identify the culprit. If a clean game doesn't even work, then it would suggest other nongame related issue such as driver updates or something.

Did you put things back all at once? Or did you systematically put them back one at a time? First by putting sim3pack dccache back, then try putting in the mods folder. If identified as something in the mods folder, then split that up in the 50/50 method.

Woops, sorry, I wasn't implying anything
I was just surprised that the game not launching at all could also be mod-related. I always assumed any issues from incompatible or out-of-date mods would arise once a save would be opened or a new one started.
And the memory dump files seem to have started recently as well, so I was wondering if that was related at all.

I put everything back at once, so I guess I should start with the Nature LTW mod like @Mandelyn suggested and work my way back from there.

Many thanks to everyone!