Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Fixed Maxis Strangetown

by Dorsal Axe Posted 7th May 2020 at 8:59 PM - Updated 29th Jan 2024 at 2:37 PM by Dorsal Axe : New version with minor fixes

80 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 55 Feedback Posts, 24 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 4
Test Subject
#51 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lefterisxo
what are you struggling with? installing the neighbourhood to you game?

Yeah I'm really struggling as well, just want screenshots of the process or a video?
Test Subject
#52 Old 27th Dec 2020 at 8:21 AM
I've recently reinstalled my Sims 2 game (the Origin ultimate version, I think?) after many years of not playing this game. I'm amazed by all the fixing you have done, but I cannot figure out what I have to do to install your clean version.
I'll backup my game and try to figure it out, cause I really liked your work here, the only thing it's lacking is accessible instructions.
Field Researcher
#53 Old 8th Jan 2021 at 12:24 PM Last edited by kaligi : 8th Jan 2021 at 10:22 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by bia123nca
I've recently reinstalled my Sims 2 game (the Origin ultimate version, I think?) after many years of not playing this game. I'm amazed by all the fixing you have done, but I cannot figure out what I have to do to install your clean version.
I'll backup my game and try to figure it out, cause I really liked your work here, the only thing it's lacking is accessible instructions.

The easiest way to explain how to do this, altough its explained, if you first install his version, 1. don't put it to the Neighborhoods Folder in the This PC/Documents/EA Games/The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection/Neighborhoods. In this case first, you search the Partition where you originally installed the whole game, for example.. if on the Local Disc (named C) than there. If it's another Partition, there ... and you search 2. Program Filesx86/Origin Games/The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection/Double Deluxe/Base/TSData/Res/UserData/Neighborhoods ... there you find the Folders from the N001/N002/N003 ..these are the original Base Neighborhoods. 3. You copy the N002 Folder somewhere where you can find it again and after this delete the original one. 4. Than, you put in this Folder, the Neighborhoods Folder the Version from Dorsal Axe. 5. Before you start a new Game, please delete from This PC/Documents/EA Games/The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection/Neighborhoods the N002 Folder and now can you start a new Game. 6. After the game fully load, you can stop playing. 7. Program Filesx86/Origin Games/The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection/Double Deluxe/Base/TSData/Res/UserData/Neighborhoods and you look for the N002 Folder, what you this time copy in This PC/Documents/EA Games/The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection/Neighborhoods Folder. Done. P.S: the Storytelling map comes in This PC/Documents/EA Games/The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection/Neighborhoods/N002 Folder after the whole process.
Test Subject
#54 Old 27th Mar 2021 at 7:29 PM
Hello, first of all I want to apologize for any mistakes I am French I use google translate. I really like your idea of ​​remaking Zarbville with the files problem fixed. And I would like to know if you could do the same for Pleasantview? There is the Skip Broke issue and its duplicated and broken file, and I am sure to imagine other bugs like Bella Goth. Could you therefore remake the city with all the repaired files?
Test Subject
#55 Old 12th Apr 2021 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kfield19
Yeah I'm really struggling as well, just want screenshots of the process or a video?

sorry for the late reply, do you still need help? i can provide screenshots for you if you need
Test Subject
#56 Old 5th May 2021 at 4:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lefterisxo
sorry for the late reply, do you still need help? i can provide screenshots for you if you need

I don't know about @kfield19... But if you provide screenshots of the process, I will thank you for all eternity
Theorist
#57 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 5:21 PM
I notice some .bak files in the characters folder -- are those safe to delete? I assume the game can't read them.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#58 Old 13th Jul 2021 at 6:13 PM
Thanks so much! All of the clean templates I've found don't include the townies, and as I've never played the original Strangetown due to all of its preexisting corruption, I'd prefer the option to play with the original townies included. Very excited to try this version of a clean Strangetown template out!! <3
Test Subject
#59 Old 14th Aug 2021 at 11:05 AM
Thank you so much for this great template! Just a heads-up, it seems like the download was deleted when you updated the documentation yesterday!
Test Subject
#60 Old 19th Aug 2021 at 4:57 PM
Default Can't seem to find the save folder you're talking about
My Strangetown is removed from my game, I can't seem to get the new, clean, one in! I can't seem to find the save directory that you're talking about, if you could help that would be great thanks!
Test Subject
#61 Old 23rd Aug 2021 at 4:33 AM
The instructions for properly installing the files are very confusing, does anyone know if the clean template will still run alright if I just directly replace the old neighbourhood files with the new ones? I'm not too phased about losing the neighbourhood stories I just want to know if it will work if I install it in this simpler way lol
Test Subject
#62 Old 9th Oct 2021 at 4:45 PM
Thank you for your hard work! Clean Maxis hoods are always a must.
I have a question: if I use this as a subhood (or as a main hood with an attached Plesantview as a subhood), would Bella appear in the Goth family tree? I know she has very few memories (which makes sense because alien abduction would do that XD) but would her family know who she is, or is she a "stranger" that looks like Bella Goth?
Test Subject
#63 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 11:37 AM
i don't know if its issue only on my side (maybe something borked during startup or something) but bella goth is placed in 'default' family bin with all the dead sims instead of townie bin, would you mind checking that so no other people have issues? otherwise, great hood! i've always wanted to play the cleaned up version but with the rest of stuff (ancestors, townies) as intact as possible. your version of the hood gives me that, thanks :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#64 Old 23rd Nov 2021 at 1:36 PM
awesome purist work
Test Subject
#65 Old 18th Feb 2022 at 8:56 AM
I'm having some difficulties trying to install this... admittedly, this may be because I downloaded and installed a cracked version of Ultimate Collection after several futile attempts at installing the game with the disc I've owned for over 12 years.
I have NO Neighborhood folder in Program Files(x86)\...\TSData\Res. I only have one in Documents, where an N002 folder is located. I already checked every Expansion Pack folder in the (x86) location but I cannot find anything other than (sometimes) the Neighborhood Template folder that only contains one .png as a user pointed out before.

Theorist
#66 Old 19th Feb 2022 at 8:59 PM
Try looking into the UserData folder in the second picture.
Test Subject
#67 Old 19th Feb 2022 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
Try looking into the UserData folder in the second picture.

Welp, that explains everything. I was just a little scared my game would be broken or something
...kinda embarrassing I didn't see that lol, but thanks a lot!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#68 Old 24th Apr 2022 at 9:45 AM
lovely <3
Test Subject
#69 Old 7th May 2022 at 11:52 PM
There's some issues with the twins in this version. Chloe and Lola are supposed to be the same age yet Lola is a few days older. I also noticed that they don't see Jenny as family even though they are technically half siblings. I wasnt able to fix that in SimPE, likely due to my lack of skill, but the continuity does bug me a little. Just thought you should known
Test Subject
#70 Old 10th May 2022 at 5:40 PM
Thank you for all the work you put into this project! I am having just a few issues. First, the scripted events are not initializing. Does anyone know what could be wrong? I tried playing the newly generated Strangetown without any mods and then it would work, but once I put the hood back to my original directory,the events would not show up. Also, all the graves dissappeared, though all the dead sims show up in SimPE and seem to be fine. Anyone have ideas as to what could fix this? At this point I just repeated the process and generated completely new Strangetown yet again, so the graves would come back, but no scripted events sadly.
Test Subject
#71 Old 23rd May 2022 at 1:40 AM
Someday it will come to pleasantview?
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 23rd Jul 2022 at 1:29 AM
Even though this really well done; I have found a couple of issues with it.
1.A few of the memories were not made correctly and show errors in HoodChecker. (this can easily be fixed with SimPe)
2.Johnny Smith's age is not correct. (He is 2 days away from being an adult when he should be 1 day away)
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 23rd Jul 2022 at 1:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Augustiele
Thank you for all the work you put into this project! I am having just a few issues. First, the scripted events are not initializing. Does anyone know what could be wrong? I tried playing the newly generated Strangetown without any mods and then it would work, but once I put the hood back to my original directory,the events would not show up. Also, all the graves dissappeared, though all the dead sims show up in SimPE and seem to be fine. Anyone have ideas as to what could fix this? At this point I just repeated the process and generated completely new Strangetown yet again, so the graves would come back, but no scripted events sadly.

When the scripted events don't work it's usually because something got broken with the NeighborhoodManager file. To fix this you should delete the Neighborhoods folder. The game will regenerate the folder the next time you start the game.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#74 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 9:53 PM Last edited by Dorsal Axe : 25th Jul 2022 at 10:07 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Mysteriechick
There's some issues with the twins in this version. Chloe and Lola are supposed to be the same age yet Lola is a few days older. I also noticed that they don't see Jenny as family even though they are technically half siblings. I wasnt able to fix that in SimPE, likely due to my lack of skill, but the continuity does bug me a little. Just thought you should known

I've fixed the family ties, but you can blame Maxis for the disparate ages. Although the storytelling images suggest Chloe and Lola should be twins, they are set up otherwise (just check their memories). Actually the ages for much of the Curious/Smith family don't make any sense (Johnny is almost the same age as his uncle Lazlo, for example, and Jenny is way older than her half-siblings who were born way before her, etc.) I've thought about changing it, but it would mean substantial differences from what we're used to, and I'm not sure if people would like this.

Quote: Originally posted by MsNyx
i don't know if its issue only on my side (maybe something borked during startup or something) but bella goth is placed in 'default' family bin with all the dead sims instead of townie bin, would you mind checking that so no other people have issues? otherwise, great hood! i've always wanted to play the cleaned up version but with the rest of stuff (ancestors, townies) as intact as possible. your version of the hood gives me that, thanks :D

There was a mistake by Maxis in the original release of the game where she was placed into the wrong family, and was fixed in the first patch. From my observations/testing, Bella is in the Default family before loading a lot in the hood. Once you play a family and save the game, Bella will be in the townie family. I assume the Maxis fix was to run a script upon loading any lot that checks if Bella is alive and if she's in the Default family, and then it moves her appropriately if needed (I haven't located this yet, but this behaviour can be consistently replicated so something like this must exist).

Quote: Originally posted by JLgammer12
Someday it will come to pleasantview?

I've made a list of issues for both Pleasantview and Veronaville, but it's just a matter of finding the time to go through it.

Quote: Originally posted by zachjohnunlimited
Even though this really well done; I have found a couple of issues with it.
1.A few of the memories were not made correctly and show errors in HoodChecker. (this can easily be fixed with SimPe)

Thanks for the catch, this is now fixed.

Quote: Originally posted by zachjohnunlimited
2.Johnny Smith's age is not correct. (He is 2 days away from being an adult when he should be 1 day away)

I haven't been able to replicate this. Johnny's age is displaying correctly for me both in SimPE and in-game, and he correctly ages to adult on the first day he's played. Are you using any kind of aging mods at all?
Test Subject
#75 Old 14th Aug 2022 at 7:14 PM
Default Before starting to play the Neighborhood
Are there any Mods that are recommended to use along with the Templates?
Page 3 of 4