Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:53 PM
Custom Hair - What DO we know so far?
I know Hair is a big deal right now, and weather you love them, or hate them, you have to admit that there is not enough.

So, I know that People all over are saying that it is going to take a while, seeing as its a lot harder to make custom hair then in Sims 2. For there is not Bodyshop, and I am wondering how it's going to happen with the color changer in-game.

What have people found so far? Share your thoughts! I just wanted to get a Custom Hair thread going to see what people know or would want to know.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:59 PM
Well, I've had help peeking in the files and there's a ridiculous frackton of resources inside, a great deal of which we don't yet understand. Textures are actually the relatively easy part - DDS textures with the different highlight/tips parts done via different colour channels. It's the meshes themselves that are difficult - we don't have a tool that can actually handle all the internal bits and bobs that are required to make hair meshes work right. Wes has been doing plugins for the body meshes but hairs have an additional level of complexity. Plus we have to figure out the rest of the file gubbins to make non-default stuff. So... it's gonna take a while. It's probably possible, just not yet, until all the whoozits and thingiebobs are sorted out and decoded and we figure out what bits are important and what we need to modify, and how.

As soon as we CAN do them, I'd really like to modify or redo my TS2 hairs for TS3... and perhaps some of Nouk's as well.

But, y'know, be patient, guys. Hair is one of the most complex things in both TS2 and TS3 and it took a -long- time for us to get the tools for TS2 to do them entirely right. Work is being done to figure it out, but it's not going to be quick or easy. Believe me - modders know the hair selection is absolutely abysmal and want to change it just as much as ya'll want it changed.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Well, I've had help peeking in the files and there's a ridiculous frackton of resources inside, a great deal of which we don't yet understand. Textures are actually the relatively easy part - DDS textures with the different highlight/tips parts done via different colour channels. It's the meshes themselves that are difficult - we don't have a tool that can actually handle all the internal bits and bobs that are required to make hair meshes work right. Wes has been doing plugins for the body meshes but hairs have an additional level of complexity. Plus we have to figure out the rest of the file gubbins to make non-default stuff. So... it's gonna take a while. It's probably possible, just not yet, until all the whoozits and thingiebobs are sorted out and decoded and we figure out what bits are important and what we need to modify, and how.

As soon as we CAN do them, I'd really like to modify or redo my TS2 hairs for TS3... and perhaps some of Nouk's as well.

But, y'know, be patient, guys. Hair is one of the most complex things in both TS2 and TS3 and it took a -long- time for us to get the tools for TS2 to do them entirely right. Work is being done to figure it out, but it's not going to be quick or easy. Believe me - modders know the hair selection is absolutely abysmal and want to change it just as much as ya'll want it changed.

HystericalParoxysm, thanks so much for a great, quick reply!

I understand, as being a n00bmodder, how complicated it is. :\ I am flabbergasted at how they have to make it so complicated! I wish EA would share the information or something, or at least have a bodyshop! Well, so far, with Rick & Delphy's CAS slider hack, I am really impress how hard you guys are working on this, and I really appreciate it, as everyone is! I am sure by the end of the summer you guys would have figured it out, you all are so smart! :p