Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#101 Old 14th Aug 2007 at 7:08 PM
spiritwaterwolf - custom hair should show up in bodyshop like any other. If it doesn't, and it is showing up in your game, you need to run the bodyshop that comes with your game.

kingdomheartsgirl - you simply cannot do complex edits with paint - gimp is free, if you learn how to use it, you can do pretty much whatever is done in photoshop with this tutorial with gimp or paint shop pro.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#102 Old 28th Sep 2007 at 1:50 AM
How do you refresh Body Shop? When you save the recolor, do you check the "save as copy" box? I'm new to simming and photoshop. I have ver. 7.0.

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose." - Janis Joplin
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#103 Old 28th Sep 2007 at 6:51 AM
spectrumrhapsody - There's a small icon like a little whirling arrow, kind of circling back on itself, in the middle of the Body Shop panel toward the bottom. Click that to refresh your project. I believe this is covered on the clothing tutorials with pics. No, you don't save as a copy - you save over the original file or Body Shop won't see your changes.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#104 Old 19th Oct 2007 at 1:01 PM
Thanks for sharing, I' ll learn it
Test Subject
#105 Old 22nd Nov 2007 at 3:22 AM
For some reason I cannot open any of the hair files. Clothes/skins and all other files open just fine but every time I try to open or even view a hair file it completely brings crashes the program opening it.
Lab Assistant
#106 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 3:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RaynePoodle
If you delete a custom hair for an elder/adult/young adult or teen, will it delete for children or toddlers? The reason I ask, is that I don't want all the adult hair styles in the custom bin, when they were altered to fit for toddlers... and kids... they were put in the right bin. But, if I manage to get them in the custom bin, then the hair is going to be in the right color bin AND the custom bin, and I don't want repeats. Thanks
Um Yeah how do you get custom colors like in bins? What "BINS" Are you talking about?
Test Subject
#107 Old 20th Dec 2007 at 11:53 PM Last edited by AdiStroyer : 21st Dec 2007 at 1:19 AM.
I've read many of the tutorials but I'm still having issues making the custom hair I want.

Here's my problem.
I'm trying to make "my" hair..which is very similar to the short choppy female maxis mesh in black but with some red bits. I've done what is said in this tutorial of selecting bits and then recolouring them and it looks perfect. But when I go and save it as all the "look alike" files there are no changes. I tried saving it as ALL the files and then ended up with a badlish wavy headed sim. there are 37 texture files and I'm wondering if I'm just changing the wrong ones? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by look alike files. Or mayb there's no tutorials for the more complex sim hairstyles?
Please give whatever help you can. Thankyou.

Edit: Figured it out myself, for anyone who is having this problem and seems to have lost their braisn as I have, redo EVERY version/texture/angle difference of the hairstyle, minus the "white" ones. When in doubt do a couple files at a time then check your difference on body shop, it's easier than screwing up and having to start over.

Thank you for this tutorial, It did help me a lot.
Test Subject
#108 Old 24th Dec 2007 at 8:19 AM
Default Thanks!
Thanks, this is a pretty understandable tutorial.
Test Subject
#109 Old 17th Jan 2008 at 12:20 AM
Thanks for sharing, I didn't think it was that hard so I made the mistake of trying it myself before reading a tutorial, but then after I read through this it doesn't seem like I did anything wrong. BUT, anyway, I was recoloring a mesh and when I imported the new colors, on the child and toddoler hair there were some solid balck sections. What happened??
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 30th Jan 2008 at 8:02 PM
I have been wondering how to recolor hair, and now I know why there are tons of files, as some are just different parts and stuff! Thank you so much, now I can actually make some hair! Um....did that sound weird to you, too?
Test Subject
#111 Old 12th Feb 2008 at 3:28 AM
Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing!!
Even though I still have a question.
I've recoloured a male gender hair, but I want to save it for female hair.
I don't have SimPE (Actually I have it, but it doesn't work, since I installed the latest expansion -Bon Voyard- and there is not version of SimPE yet compatible with this expansion =_= ).
What should I do?
Change the name files?
Example:
amhair_Casual1~hair_alpha3~stdMatBaseTextureName.bmp
to
afhair_Casual1~hair_alpha3~stdMatBaseTextureName.bmp
?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#112 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 1:14 AM
anubismaxwell

If you mean - make a male hair show up on a female sim, the heads are not identical in shape and you cannot just make the hair work like that, even with simpe.

So you need to recolor the female version of the hair with bodyshop, if it exists, and do all the same steps, and if the layout is identical, you can just use the same graphics.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#113 Old 14th Feb 2008 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tiggerypum
anubismaxwell

If you mean - make a male hair show up on a female sim, the heads are not identical in shape and you cannot just make the hair work like that, even with simpe.

So you need to recolor the female version of the hair with bodyshop, if it exists, and do all the same steps, and if the layout is identical, you can just use the same graphics.

Yeah, is that ^^.
So, I must find the female version of it?? mhh... Ok... I think there isn't one
Anyways, thank you
Scholar
#114 Old 14th Mar 2008 at 2:14 PM
Hey thanks for the tutorial!

But I have 1 question....

So I recoloured the hair on my sim by using hue/saturation, and then I saved, and then I refreshed the hair, but the new colour isn't on the bangs! So I looked in the hair files and I didn't see a file that said "bangs", so now what?
Test Subject
#115 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 6:54 AM
Thnks much now i need to lern 2 make the mesh lol
Test Subject
#116 Old 13th Apr 2008 at 2:36 PM
good tutorial
Instructor
#117 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 8:55 PM
Wow, this is a wonderful and very patient tutorial! (And very patient reaction to questions that turn up a third time. I'll probably have some later on, but not before I searched through all the comments.)

Your tutorial answered all the questions I had and on the first try I've done two recolors already. I always kept clear of modding because it seems so difficult and time consuming, but now I'm hooked.

Thank you very much! (Or, considering how much time I'll probably spend creating medieval recolors: curse you. )
Test Subject
#118 Old 3rd Jun 2008 at 10:43 PM
Thanks s a lot, it's very useful.
Test Subject
#119 Old 4th Jul 2008 at 10:51 AM
Jasmine,
Yes, you do have to buy it, but there is a free 30 day trial that is exactly the same as if you buy it, with everything in it, but the really annoying thing is that it knows if you've downloaded it before, so you can't just keep getting that for free. So you should get the trial, see how much you can get out of it, then buy the full version if you want to.

Hope this helps,
Sapphire
Test Subject
#120 Old 9th Aug 2008 at 8:20 PM
Thanks ! Ive always wanted to know how to do stuff like modding , and now im slowly beginning to get it . Thanks so much !!
Helptato
#121 Old 24th Aug 2008 at 11:30 AM
Thanks,excellent tutorial.
Test Subject
#122 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 8:33 AM
i tried a recolor but when i refreshed body shop, my sim ended up bald. wtf?
Test Subject
#123 Old 25th Oct 2008 at 10:28 PM
I don't know what format this file uses but OpenOffice won't read it. Can anyone repost as an rtf, doc, or pdf?
Test Subject
#124 Old 29th Nov 2008 at 10:05 PM
i dont have photoshop!! i have the GIMP.. can you help me??

S[he] Be[lie]ve[s].

And by forever you mean until you find someone better.
Test Subject
#125 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 11:26 PM
Can someone please help!!!!!!! i have the GIMP! can someone tell meh wat to do?? and there are no piccies!!!!! i need help!! please??

S[he] Be[lie]ve[s].

And by forever you mean until you find someone better.
Page 5 of 7