Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:24 PM
Default Building houses
ok so I've seen many wonderful houses being built so far. I've seen many for TS2 as well. I've build many homes but mine just don't seem to come out quite that great. So what I was wondering, is how you guys do it. Like, where do you start? what is your method? do you invision your home first? do you have pictures of an actual home and copy it?

I'm just asking so I can know how to improve my building. I've only seen 1 tutorial on home building but it was of no help to me.

I apologize if this isnt the right place to put this. I just want some ideas from the community.

thanks
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:35 PM
I usually visualize what I think would look good and then try to emulate it with the game. Sometimes I'll just start building and I just don't know yet where I'll end up. The problem for me right now is though, I end up with homes that look awesome on the outside, but are hardly livable for our Sims. I do look at other things for inspiration though. Things like pictures of holiday destinations, pictures of urban areas. It requires a certain talent to build beautiful homes from scratch, but practice makes perfect.

Visualizing what you want, possibly putting it down on paper, is the best way to start.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:58 PM
Have you tried searching online for existing home plans? I've built some beautiful houses from real plans. You have to get a little creative in adapting things that you don't need in game (e.g. space for water heaters) but it's a good way to build nice houses if you can't plan the whole thing out in your mind in advance.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 9:08 PM
Just start building and let it happen. Operate, replicate, refine and modify until it suits your needs. Then change it again. That is what I do. It depends on what you want to be your focal point though..

If you are primarily concerned about your sim having a nice pond or forest in their house, first build a nice pond and then make a house around that, all the while considering you will have to have a house too. If you are more focused on having a huge house, then make that foundation and then do the decorating later. It also helps to consider what type of sim it is and what kind of house do you imagine them in? An athletic sim might have a nice outdoor setting while an agoraphobic sim won't go outside anyways. A sim house on the beach might take a villa style, and a sim house of a scientist might look.. cold and uninviting. If you want uniqueness, the best way to get it is to know whats normal for you first and then deviate. The diagonal tool helps!

I am, "The Man". I will get you down... Don't stick it to me... "Drink milk and be non-puntable"
Thank you Mimewhite for making the Seph trench coat.