Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#10601 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 5:34 AM
^ Then you'll have the ones coming out of the woodwork to mention tHiS Is WhY LifEStaTeS NeEd DEdiCatED PaCKs sO tHey cAn FlEsH tHem oUt MOrE.

And Realm of Magic has proved that is most certainly not inherently true. Vampires are honestly the best life state in TS4 because they actually put some damn effort into it. Not that hard EA. Oh I forgot, apparently it is.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Advertisement
Scholar
#10602 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 10:18 AM
I'm wondering if they might expand on a season with this one, they already expanded on Winter, leaves Spring and Fall little too do.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10603 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 1:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
And Realm of Magic has proved that is most certainly not inherently true. Vampires are honestly the best life state in TS4 because they actually put some damn effort into it. Not that hard EA. Oh I forgot, apparently it is.

Realm of magic should have done exactly what Vampire’s did. Vampires was perfect because it let you build a vampire. Realm of Magic flopped because they forced you to be a specific kind of spellcaster... no...

Similarly, Get Famous Let’s you be any kind of celebrity you want. People like that part of the pack. Realm of Magic appears to have missed the boat lol

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#10604 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 3:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yaohui
Need farm?
The Sims 4 Farmland - Reveal

This is exactly what I am hoping for the new pack. Crops, tractors, horses, countryside farm where sims can live on acres!

View all My Sims 4 Creations here https://kiarasimsfourmods.home.blog/

Patreon here www.patreon.com/kiarasims4mods

KiaraSims4Mods Discord - https://discord.com/invite/TykFPkY
Mad Poster
#10605 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 3:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Realm of magic should have done exactly what Vampire’s did. Vampires was perfect because it let you build a vampire. Realm of Magic flopped because they forced you to be a specific kind of spellcaster... no...

Similarly, Get Famous Let’s you be any kind of celebrity you want. People like that part of the pack. Realm of Magic appears to have missed the boat lol

Realm of Magic's problem is that it allows you to become the Everything™ Spellcaster- there's nothing that allows you to specialize in one of the three schools, or makes you strategize with trade-offs (which at least Vampires and Celebrities had).

The second issue is that it plain up lacked spells or any cross-EP compatibility, and the majority of spells were just boring reheated Scientist gadget mechanisms from Get to Work. I mean, there's no unique or whimsical spells like in Makin' Magic like the ones with the gnomes and flamingos, or Supernatural with the frog heads- and why do modders have to create their own weather spells???

In the end, spamming enough interactions, you can end up creating super-magicians in all your sims with all the few spells and perks unlocked. It's frankly shallow and even bad game design, and a big decline from the earlier Vampires game design.

IMO, if they lacked the resources to properly make this pack, I would have preferred that they cut out the Magical Realm (mostly useless with the one lot) and dedicated the resources into putting some real negative quirks and additional spells into the game.
Forum Resident
#10606 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 4:06 PM
The real problem here is that packs don't automatically become better sticking to one design or the other. Many people said that that Supernatural in TS3 was shallow because it contained too many lifestates in one pack and as a result none felt particularly unique. But then we have TS4, that has split up its lifestates between packs and they still don't feel unique or noteworthy except for Vampires.

If EA were smart, they'd realize that it's all about how you tackle a concept. ROM could've done something unique like spellcasters and fairies, both magical, and it would make sense as a concept - call it something fitting of both. Instead of the gimmick behind the magic realm, because that's all it is. Spellcasters are lacking because they're an afterthought in their own pack. EA wanted people to go nuts over being able to go to the "cool magic realm" and emphasized what you could do there, instead of being a very small addition to the pack that it should've been.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Instructor
#10607 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Realm of Magic's problem is that it allows you to become the Everything™ Spellcaster- there's nothing that allows you to specialize in one of the three schools, or makes you strategize with trade-offs (which at least Vampires and Celebrities had).

The second issue is that it plain up lacked spells or any cross-EP compatibility, and the majority of spells were just boring reheated Scientist gadget mechanisms from Get to Work. I mean, there's no unique or whimsical spells like in Makin' Magic like the ones with the gnomes and flamingos, or Supernatural with the frog heads- and why do modders have to create their own weather spells???

In the end, spamming enough interactions, you can end up creating super-magicians in all your sims with all the few spells and perks unlocked. It's frankly shallow and even bad game design, and a big decline from the earlier Vampires game design.

IMO, if they lacked the resources to properly make this pack, I would have preferred that they cut out the Magical Realm (mostly useless with the one lot) and dedicated the resources into putting some real negative quirks and additional spells into the game.

It's horribly planned and has multiple problems. Off the top of my head:

1) Sims 3 has a fill needs potion you get at about level 6 iirc, and it has decent requirements to make. Sims 4 pushes the fill needs potion to THE FIRST POTION YOU GET and it needs a damned apple to make, which you can buy. You legit have what's perhaps the most useful part of the pack immediately and everything after pales in comparison, plus any semblance of challenge is just gone.

2) There's a spell (or whatever it was) to clone potions. This again removes any challenge in collecting ingredients for potions since you always get a free sample for every single one and you can just keep it and clone it. You can legit play the pack without ever making a single potion and still have a healthy supply.

3) The spells honestly suck ass. I remember there was one where I expected it would instantly grow your plant to mature, just like one that existed in Sims 3. Instead, it grew very specific plants exclusive to that pack....which you legit never need because you can clone all potions and those new plants only have use for the new potions. Or the cleaning spell required you to individually target each dirty plate and cast it, to the point cleaning them the traditional way could be faster. Why there's no cleaning spell like in Sims 3 where it instantly removes all objects marked as dirty stuff or cleans any dirty furniture is probably just another case of the crappy engine or the team having no idea what they're doing

4) As you said, no balance. You get every spell and power and no downsides. Dunno how this is suddenly rocket science to them despite Vampires and Get Famous being popular for utilizing that concept. I think SimGuruEmory was responsible for those and apparently when he quits the team, the rest of the team's brains explode and they're incapable of following his example or something.
Instructor
#10608 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 7:43 PM
Need farm?
The Sims 4 Farmland - Reveal

HOLD UP HOLD UP HOLD UP HOLD UP

Lemme get this straight:

Some random modder, by happenstance, happened to release his farm-themed mod at the same exact time Sims 4 announced their farm-themed Expansion pack, and now it's going to be stupidly easy to compare and contrast what the entire Sims Team accomplished vs. what one random modder accomplished?

Theorist
#10609 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 7:59 PM
Arnie has been working on his farm mod for awhile; long before Maxis decided to make whatever it is they came up with.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10610 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 8:01 PM
I know they are not teasing minor pets...

Backyard Stuff, Cats & Dogs, and My First Pet Stuff would like a word.

Test Subject
#10611 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 8:02 PM
Test Subject
#10612 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 8:07 PM
Thank you so much
Instructor
#10613 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Arnie has been working on his farm mod for awhile; long before Maxis decided to make whatever it is they came up with.

Video trailer says 6 months. Hell, sounds like he developed it faster than Maxis and would've begun after them, unless I'm missing something?
Theorist
#10614 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 8:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
Video trailer says 6 months. Hell, sounds like he developed it faster than Maxis and would've begun after them, unless I'm missing something?

I have no idea when Maxis started this new EP; we're not privy to that information. He probably did start after them, but unless he knows something that the rest of us don't ( not likely) I don't think Arnie was intentionally trying to 'compete'.

Tomorrow the Maxis trailer comes out. We'll know then if this is actually a farming EP, a vacation thing or something else entirely.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10615 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 9:47 PM
Apparently, based on the preview, it was something that was :difficult" and "unrealistic," but something we all wanted.

Clearly, babies that aren't chained to a bassinet. Clearly.

Mad Poster
#10616 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
I know they are not teasing minor pets...

Backyard Stuff, Cats & Dogs, and My First Pet Stuff would like a word.

Those birds don't even count. That's like calling a fish in the pond is a minor pet. Those are npc (if hardly, more like animation asset) "animal" that isn't even Sim like.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10617 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Those birds don't even count. That's like calling a fish in the pond is a minor pet. Those are npc (if hardly, more like animation asset) "animal" that isn't even Sim like.

You leave my precious winged rats alone.

Lab Assistant
#10618 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 1:00 AM
Does anyone like me think that the sale of the new GP is not what Maxis expect, so they have to sell the new EP as soon as possible?

Taiwan Soul!
Theorist
#10619 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 1:54 AM
Does anyone like me think that the sale of the new GP is not what Maxis expect, so they have to sell the new EP as soon as possible?

Maybe, but it probably has more to do with the fact that EA just rolled into their first fiscal quarter for 2022 in April, so Maxis is trying to make themselves look good by shoving as much stuff out the door that they can before the end of July.

What is strange is the lack of leaks this time around. It seemed like for the past few packs there were leaks everywhere; not this time around. I'm not willing to put money on it but since there has been zero leaks for this EP, me thinks all the others that have happened recently were intentional.
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#10620 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 9:03 AM
Reminder: Trailer for Sims 4 "countryside" expansion pack comes out 8 a.m. PT on June 10. and can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSims
Mad Poster
#10621 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 11:19 AM
I looked at the postcard. I don't see anything "farm-themed" in it. I see a pseudo-English countryside, though. It reminds me of the Old Miller tea time set from the Sims 3 store. It also reminds me of Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Boo-kayyy), and her candlelight suppers. If this pack isn't farm-related, there is going to be gnashing of teeth all around.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#10622 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 12:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
I looked at the postcard. I don't see anything "farm-themed" in it. I see a pseudo-English countryside, though. It reminds me of the Old Miller tea time set from the Sims 3 store. It also reminds me of Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Boo-kayyy), and her candlelight suppers. If this pack isn't farm-related, there is going to be gnashing of teeth all around.

And I bet the windows frames are still sitting right at the outside of the wall instead of being recessed back a bit like in traditional English houses. I think the big surprise is going to be cars.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10623 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 1:36 PM
I want a spiral staircase.

A cute wooden one...
A cute iron one...
A cute modern one...
A cute stone one...

If we get cars and we don’t get one we can fix up so they can sell it later, I’ll be very upset.

Scholar
#10624 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 1:44 PM
If cars is the surprise, I'd be shocked if we can use them outside of the new neighborhood. There, I said it.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10625 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 2:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Apsalar
If cars is the surprise, I'd be shocked if we can use them outside of the new neighborhood. There, I said it.

They said it was something difficult and unrealistic. Farms are nice, but not unrealistic. One can easily build a farm of sorts with the Sims 3 store.

Locked thread
Page 425 of 447