Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 3:58 PM
Default Whole world into a larger map?
Hello everyone! although i wanted to quit with caw, i am now stuck with Nilxis world Hylewood. (I love it so much. If you read this, dear creator, thanks for creating and sharing it <3) But it's a bit too small for my needs... What i already did is, I exportet the height map and terrain paint maps, but I realised (yes i am a bit slow xD) , that all the rocks and effects were missing...of course... finally my question: Is there a way to export objects and (object - ) layers to a bigger map?
And i saw, that Nilxis may used the pond tool in super caw. When I converted the height map, I noticed that the water on other height levels was missing. Is there a way to export/import that too?
Or is it possible to change (maybe with s3pe) the world from tiny to small or anything like that ? S3PE is actually what i am hoping for... Has anyone an idea about that?
I would love to play in Hylewood

Thanks very much and have a nice weekend everyone <3
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 4:31 PM
It is possible to enlarge a world, but it's not very flexible- you can't choose to have your original world in, say, the center of the map, and enlarge around it. In the end it's probably going to be easier to recreate the world by enlarging the height map, and adding all of the decorations by hand.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=453513

It is possible to copy a layer from one world to another:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=429946
So this could save you some time as you could import an entire layer from the original world, and just drag the objects to their proper places.

For the water planes, those are not movable- you'd have to recreate the planes to suit your new large world if they are not in the correct position. To copy them into the new world just import the following from your original world:
UNKN 0x707CA200 and 0x90624C1B
To recreate them you need to either use SuperCAW (not recommended ) or use this method.

Terrain paints- you can export the layer map for each terrain paint, and possible resize that in the same way as with your height map. Otherwise you'd need to procedurally paint it, or by hand.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 4:55 PM
Thank you so much for your reply, simsample, that helped a lot <3 i will have a look at those tutorials and will see what I can do, thank you!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 9:45 PM Last edited by Fluse : 22nd Mar 2019 at 10:00 PM.
Hello, me again.. i feel a bit bad... but i read those linked tutorials and threads... nothing worked as i wanted it to work. i thought you can just copy the tiny height map from hylewood to the small flat map (with paint). but as you can see in the picture, there are two hylewoods... and it's cramped. i put a paint layer on it to make it more obvious, where hylewood should be. Do I use the wrong image tool? are there tools to edit height maps, so they show up correctly?
i googled it, but i just found tools for custom maps... but not for importing an already-worked-on-terrain to a larger map... or maybe my english is too bad, so i missunderstood. I don't know, I am just sad right now it didn't work....
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 11:01 PM
Hey, the heightmap repeating like that shows that you have the wrong bit format for your image. The heightmaps for Sims 3 CAW should be 16bit greyscale PNG. The sizes as follows:
Large: 2048x2048
Medium: 1024x1024
Small: 512x512
Tiny: 256x256
Make sure your image editing software is set to save at 16bit greyscale and all should work.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 9:27 AM Last edited by Fluse : 23rd Mar 2019 at 2:12 PM.
Thank you very much. I made the changes you said with gimp 2 and tried it in CAW again. It looks much better now, but it's in the wrong chunk - which can be fixed, i guess, but there's another issue. The height levels on that island aren't as smooth as in the original? Can it be that paint can't recognise smoothed edges? Thanks a lot for helping... that means a lot to me <3

Edit: To anyone who has the same problems with understanding those computer things but want to change their already-build-on-map to another map size... I uploaded another picture, because i got it to work... i don't know WHAT i did, to be honest... but I know HOW I did it, so maybe it helps someone somewhere who struggles like me... it took me 5 hours yesterday and 2 hours this morning... can't believe it...

1) I exported Hylewood Map (in your case, of course which world you want to resize)
2) I opened a Small Map Flat (whatever size you need) and exported the map size
3) I opened Gimp 2 and opened both maps and copied hylewood into the small flat map. It was in the middle of the bigger map, so I used the Move-Tool to put that one chunk tiny island into the upper left chunk from that small map
4) I clicked on Export As, chose as png, then another window opened and where it says automatic pixelformat I chose 16bpc GRAY
5) Back in CAW I opened a completely new world, but took the custom Heightmap as starter Heightmap. I saved this world, so a package file was generated
6) I followed this tutorial : http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=453513
7) I opened CAW again and loaded Hylewood but with the modified files in it and it worked...unbelievable
8) Cry because you are relieved

Again: Thank you very much for your help!

Edited Edit: I hope it's okay that i posted pictures form Nilxis beautiful world... I don't know how to use tumblr or facebook, instragram, whatever, because I do not use it at all, so if I have to link or anything, or if I have to delete those pictures, I will do
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 5:15 PM
yeah cool.. so everything was fine, i spend up to 10 hours getting this map to work only to notice, that the the extra chunks are not recognised as routable area
I thought maybe the distant terrains are a problem - nope they're not...
As you can see in the picture, the original chunk is perfectly fine, but the 3 other chunks are not routable. I tried working with the terrain tool, but it stays like that.
Has someone an idea about that? I don't understand whats going on... is there something I have to import or exchange in S3PE to get the chunks noticed? I begin to hate CAW.... or myself ^^
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 5:28 PM
So your original terrain size was small? It sounds like the rest of the terrain is outside of the world itself (the cube that defines the playable area). Remember that Sandrine's thread is experimental, as I mentioned before you're probably better off rebuilding the world by starting from scratch on the size you require.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 5:41 PM
Thanks for your answer (: The original size was tiny, I managed to get the tiny map into the small map (picture above).
I noticed, that the routing data is messed up although I didn't touch it at all.
Probably you're right with beginning a new world, thank you very much for helping!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 9:16 PM Last edited by Fluse : 23rd Mar 2019 at 9:48 PM.
This image explains itself... how can that be? First I thought, I have to choose a height map, so I typed 300. It said, that x1 is invalid. Then I put in the y cordinate - that made more sense. But obviously not? Or do I need 2 identical pairs? omg i don't understand what I am doing there xD
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 10:38 PM
A comma is not recognised, you need to use a decimal point. Also, some values might not accept non-integers.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 10:58 PM
That's ridiculous, I am sorry, I googled my problem for almost an hour, before I posted here...again. I didn't know that it could be the difference between a comma and a point O.ô
Maybe I just should go to bed now xD can't thank you enough, you are my hero. That's so nice and kind (:
And as I am typing now... I deleted Nilxis pond related stuff or replaced it (deleted the 7's , and the 9 was replaced by the original flat map one), because i got that unnoticed chunk-problem in an totally new world with only the custom height map (and the imported pond files), too. But after I replaced/deleted those pond related files, the small map is now completely routable. strange, right? maybe there is something world size related in the pond files?
Anyways, I hope I can finally go on with my world project... i swear to god, i'll deinstall CAW after I am done with it... it's not good for my blood pressure xD
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 24th Mar 2019 at 11:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fluse
maybe there is something world size related in the pond files?

Yes, they are mapped by co-ordinates so they will not work in any world size other than that which they are intended. That's why I said to recreate them, they are specific in size and orientation, and also depend upon the existing terrain to clip them to shape. The 906 file in particular specifies map size, and they reference the world tiles (chunks) too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 24th Mar 2019 at 12:41 PM
That would explain why the bridgeport 906er wasn't working too...
Then I just edited the original small flat map file, imported Nilxis two 7er files and it works now. I check routing every time i place something or play with the terrain, to see if the routing is gone again, but so far it looks good.
But another "problem" occured: because I did not import Hylewood as a whole world (just some layers) , the roads are missing. I knew that but what I forgot, I don't have the hylewood street paints. Is there a way to extract them from the existing hylewood file?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 24th Mar 2019 at 7:26 PM
Yes, if you open up the original world in S3PE you should be able to find the textures and export them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Mar 2019 at 8:42 PM
I am sure I will find them. Everything is still working fine. Thanks a lot for helping, simsample (: