Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#1001 Old 5th Mar 2021 at 12:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Casimir
This game is far from the relase date...

That is, unfortunately, true.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#1002 Old 5th Mar 2021 at 10:09 AM
We're in 41st Page in.... and look what Paralives has reached.... Like it's the only reliable simulation game expected to be released, and wasn't deframed as a a scram/fraud/prank etc. While there is still lots of to uncover (I do wanna see a glimse of any gameplay footage, cause we only got one with Sebestian and that was mostly animation), but heck.... if paralive isn't the possible upcoming competitor, than I don't know what is. I have a feeling they gonna pull it off, seeing what feedback and the creaitive minds of the fandom they have were they give out suggestions for relationship and aging.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Top Secret Researcher
#1003 Old 5th Mar 2021 at 7:19 PM
I mean, there's whatever Rod Humble's doing at Paradox Tectonic, but we literally know nothing about what he is doing. It could be a life sim. It could be a whole lot of other things, too.
Inventor
#1004 Old 5th Mar 2021 at 9:04 PM
My only issue with Paralives is that they keep focusing on other stuff instead of the actual simulation.

In their Development Page (https://www.paralives.com/development) they have actually have "Simulation mode basics: interactions, animations, pathfinding" as "Next Steps" not even a concrete a month when they plan to work on it. I feel like they're breaking all the rules of game development (though I'm only familiar with AAA game development) and focusing on things like the art rather than on core functions that are going to make the game playable.
Alchemist
#1005 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 11:24 AM
gut feeling is this will be a flop

what does his name even mean?
Test Subject
#1006 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 8:41 PM
Indie Game development is highly different from AAA development. If you do stuff like Patreon, Kickstarter and so on you need to have lots and lots of pretty pictures to show people what you envision and yes, these are usually often the only things (aside from ideas or concepts) that are done first. Obviously, people want to see things. No one would give money to something they can't see, right? So you need to have some assets first. They're are still in the concept phase, but they don't make a big secret out of it.

A thing I keep seeing is people complaining that development isn't far. The team is small, a simulation game like The Sims for example is a huge very complex game with lots and lots of different systems that need to be taken care of. You have build, buy, the creator for your little characters (and its systems like for example the color wheel, how it handles textures and so on), then there's stuff like the world, weather, interpersonal relationships and the things that need to be in place for it, how the character interacts with the world and so on. The list is endless. There is a certain balance to strike. How indepth is a system going to be? How to tweak something to make it entertaining but not outright annoying (looking at you Sims 4, seriously those guys at maxis can't tweak stuff to save their lives).... Think about it, there's tons of stuff that needs to be considered and I can see why they're not too far into development already. Something to keep in mind: The last post that's been linked from the Patreon is actually from October 2020, so they could already be a little further ahead by now. And they're still in the phase where they figure out systems and again the team is tiny for an ambitious project like this so it will take long.

I honestly don't know if they're going to release or not, but I'm pretty patient with them given what they're competing against. The Sims is a huge franchise, the only one of its kind around for more than 20 years. That are some big shoes to fill for such a tiny team and people have incredibly high hopes. So I'm definitely more understanding if it takes long, they're also pretty upfront about that and they told us they have no idea when they're done, which I appreciate. I'd rather they take all the time they need to get it right instead of rushing to put out a half baked game. With the Paras update they actually made a good step forward because now they have the base for their animation system.
Mad Poster
#1007 Old 6th Mar 2021 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
My only issue with Paralives is that they keep focusing on other stuff instead of the actual simulation.

In their Development Page (https://www.paralives.com/development) they have actually have "Simulation mode basics: interactions, animations, pathfinding" as "Next Steps" not even a concrete a month when they plan to work on it. I feel like they're breaking all the rules of game development (though I'm only familiar with AAA game development) and focusing on things like the art rather than on core functions that are going to make the game playable.

Agreed- getting the simulation down is significantly harder and unflashy, but more important than making pretty meshes (the later sells better).

Hopefully they'll be putting out some posts regarding their designs for the simulation, but to put it lightly, I'm not seeing a clear pathway to release as of yet.

I personally have a bit more anticipation for whatever Humble's doing at Paradox, mainly because it's a more structured environment and they as publishers won't hesitate to fire him if they don't see him producing something sellable (as in the case of Hardlight and VtMB2). Of course, it might not even be a sims game, but one can always hold out some hope.
Top Secret Researcher
#1008 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 2:55 AM
Meh. I think Paralives is vaporware. People keep donating and getting nuthin' but some videos.

Sims are better than us.
Inventor
#1009 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 3:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
Meh. I think Paralives is vaporware. People keep donating and getting nuthin' but some videos.

Technically it is. It doesn't mean it won't EVER get released. I do believe Paralives will be released at some point, but I'm not sure if i'll live up to my and many people's expectations. They seem to be focusing on the same things The Sims 4 has been focusing on for years (build mode, character creation tools, aesthetics), leaving the simulation as an afterthought.
Mad Poster
#1010 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 3:49 AM
Pretty pictures get attention but mechanics are what keep people interested. No one is going to want to play with dolls that don’t do anything.

As bare as the TS4 base game was, at least you can do something in it. I’m sure it will come, but how long will people tolerate only being shown pretty pictures?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#1011 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 1:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
It is amazing how EA can spend literally years treating people like shit and ripping them off and yet people are cranky, angry, threatened..or whatever it is by less than a handful of people working on something  they believe in.  EA has trained people well. If it doesn't say EA / Maxis on the fake cover, find whatever means to stick pitchforks in it because EA's way is the only way.  Yikes!

If people are really into being being treated like shit and ripped off by a multi-billion dollar company with the sims studio which has hundreds of employees and yet they still manage to fuck things up on a regular basis, you do you, but can we stop treating Paralives like it is the boogy man in the room?  Stardew Valley was made by one person over many years; he's done well for himself.  There is that little thing called respect that flows both ways.  EA has no such word in their vocabulary; 'respect' isn't a buzzword that sells things.

I think this is the way competition has been for many businesses. As Facebook grew, when they saw another start-up gaining traction, instead of stepping up their own game, they bought them out. Don't nobody be fooled that EA/Maxis is not watching Paralives with a magnifying glass under a microscope! Whether there'll ever be a Paralives is really not the issue. The issue is how will EA react if Paralives gets to the point of being a "real" threat.

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury
Test Subject
#1012 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 4:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sakell
Indie Game development is highly different from AAA development. If you do stuff like Patreon, Kickstarter and so on you need to have lots and lots of pretty pictures to show people what you envision and yes, these are usually often the only things (aside from ideas or concepts) that are done first. Obviously, people want to see things. No one would give money to something they can't see, right? So you need to have some assets first. They're are still in the concept phase, but they don't make a big secret out of it.

I agree and I think this isn't mentioned enough. In order to get funding for an indie game they have to show it off a bit first. I also think the team has been clear about that it will take time to release the game, and I am confused as to why some people seem to be almost offended on behalf of EA that someone else is making a life simulation game. I think it will be fun to try the game but I'm not expecting it to be out any time soon.
Top Secret Researcher
#1013 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 5:15 PM
From what I understand, and it's not a lot I understand about about game development, it seems we are talking years until there might be a Paralives game. So at this point, all I can do is watch and see where it goes. EA lost me in 2014 and hasn't done anything since that would entice me back to giving them my money. On the contrary.
And if nothing happens with Paralives, or any other game like this, I'll be happy playing TS2 and 3 for the rest of my life. Even if there is a TS5 before any other game comes out, I don't really care.
Forum Resident
#1014 Old 7th Mar 2021 at 7:30 PM

This game is probably a scam as we told me about PoN.
Mad Poster
#1015 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 12:03 AM
Technically it is. It doesn't mean it won't EVER get released. I do believe Paralives will be released at some point, but I'm not sure if i'll live up to my and many people's expectations. They seem to be focusing on the same things The Sims 4 has been focusing on for years (build mode, character creation tools, aesthetics), leaving the simulation as an afterthought.

Either way, on a bright side... players may flock to it cause it done a good job on build mode and seems to be doing for character creation, that makes TS4 sort of obsolete. It may not the be WORLD HIT Simulation game, but it may end up being the best House Building game.... And strangely, outside of Sims I don't even if something close to the Sims building game exists???

Field Researcher
#1016 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 1:09 AM
What would REALLY be funny is if Sims 5 becomes a hit and Sims 4 - as it is now - becomes their new "Legacy" game.

Nah.

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury
Instructor
#1017 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 6:15 AM
I'm keeping an eye on paralives and I pray for their success. Even if they only get up there with Stardew Valley thats still something to be proud of and the improvements that they have made are something to be proud of. From what I've seen since the beginning they've improved a lot. Yea we may not have seen any "real" gameplay, but I'm still willing to wait patiently till the day its released. I mean it's only fair with all the chances I've given The Sims 4.
Top Secret Researcher
#1018 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 8:53 PM

Paralives is confronted with the problem that their progress is so slow, that by the time they have something to release there will be better games out there.
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
It is amazing how EA can spend literally years treating people like shit and ripping them off and yet people are cranky, angry, threatened..or whatever it is by less than a handful of people working on something they believe in.

I don't think EA treats people "like Shit". I'll say they're not as talented as they were in Sims 3 days and they clearly didn't play previous sims games, but I love playing Sims 4 and I don't feel ripped off. People love to complain and I understand that. If they were not just complaining to be part of the crowd, they'd have deleted the game and moved on to something else to do.
Basically, the goal of everyone on Patreon is to make money and keep making money. Completion can mean killing the golden goose.

Why are people so hateful of Sims 4, and (1) Still here and (2) think Paralives will be any better?

Sims are better than us.
Test Subject
#1019 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 9:44 PM Last edited by Pistence : 8th Mar 2021 at 10:59 PM.
Why are people so hateful of Sims 4, and (1) Still here and (2) think Paralives will be any better?

You're confusing criticism/uninterest with hate. The reason I'm still here is, well, MTS isn't only for TS4 you know, I play other sims games but I'm also interested in the current development. I don't think Paralives will 'be any better', it's just another game in a genre that speaks to me. It's something new, it's interesting, different, isn't that enough? I don't necessarily think that an indie game like that can be an actual threat to a multi-corporation like EA and an established title such as The Sims, but it is the first one that seems to have serious ambitions that challenges the ever so increasing laziness of EA. Actually, going by your logic, I would like to reverse your question, if you love the game and do not feel ripped off (which is great for you!), why are you bothering interacting with people who do? The reason that I am, in your words, 'hateful' of TS4, is because I find it to be an inferior successor to the other games. It's restricted in both gameplay and customization, it's way too easy and uneventful, compared to the other games during the same time period, which - in any other game series - wouldn't be accepted by its audience. I think Sims fans are way too compliant.
Mad Poster
#1020 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 10:31 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 9th Mar 2021 at 2:53 AM.

I guess you could call it therapeuticway of releasing frustation, all while we're still curious where the game is heading and enjoy discussing the flaws of it.
We just don't like TS4 and wanna share honest opinion about it. Simple as that. We like bitching about poor implementation and suggesting ways how it could been better, and mock how we expect future additions will be poorly/brain-dead implemented (because that's how half time it is). It's not that we hate the game, but more decision taken for producing this game that makes it lame. Devs poor developing choices we "hate".

Much like how men complain how horrible the football/basketball game tournament was and whatever competitive tv sport/contest people discuss with disappointment. Do you call these people being "hateful" of contest/players? No, because for the better we hoped they performed/played better and wish they improve. Same shit

Besides, nobodys fault that other people, that genuinely love this game with all their heart, never share/express their positive opinion here and discuss (but choose to complain about complainers complaining (complainception)). Though I guess you can blame the dislike button for existing but that only shows that people only at MTS disagree with you, which happen to be magority. It may or may not represent the whole game's fandom. Unpopular opinios will always be downvoted. It's just how it works.

Why we think Paralives will be any better? Not necessary we think it will (although we can give you loads of examples where possible indie rival had succeed in the gaming industry), but competition is good for any monopoly. Even if it doesn't succeed, it may force Maxis up their game and maaaaybe proceeed with releasing some quality in their packs.

ETA: who let Grant take over the teams account? Or is that Graham ?? That PR "joke/meme" made me repelled and disgusted. Way to go maxis! Their response is basic "HAHAH We're ripping you off and we're gonna play it off without not staying quiet" That's a real dumbass on twitter.

Okay, so they're saying it's a mistake: reply to the wrong question. Now my questionary switches to "to whom the "It happens..." was suppose to be sent? Cause I can't think in what non ill-intent this joke was suppose to be shared to? I too don't think nor believe it was an accident, but some develops start seeing the absurd (or not but) get tired for being put in a corner to answer these questions. Someone at Maxis sure was in "playful" emotion and thought it be a good idea to put a leg on unsatisfied customer, and unfortunately I doubt this gave them any consequence on behalf of whoever wrote the gif tweet

Mad Poster
#1021 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 12:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pistence
I would like to reverse your question, if you love the game and do not feel ripped off (which is great for you!), why are you bothering interacting with people who do?

It is really pathetic when people are asked to explain why they are on a site, or section at least, created and dedicated to Sims if they are not completely negative about the game and/or company. It is sad that a site has become so negative that comments by non-haters of 4 and/or the company are not welcome, and questioned. Sad.
Test Subject
#1022 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
It is really pathetic when people are asked to explain why they are on a site, or section at least, created and dedicated to Sims if they are not completely negative about the game and/or company. It is sad that a site has become so negative that comments by non-haters of 4 and/or the company are not welcome, and questioned. Sad.

This was literally just a joke-y answer to the question why I was here if I didn't like TS4?
Mad Poster
#1023 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pistence
This was literally just a joke-y answer to the question why I was here if I didn't like TS4?

It did not read that way as it was a reply to Emmett. Anyway................... moving on.....................

I have no interest in Paralives unless there is a drastic change in how the Para look. So, I will hold judgement until release, if ever done.
Test Subject
#1024 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 1:23 AM Last edited by Pistence : 9th Mar 2021 at 1:47 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
It did not read that way as it was a reply to Emmett.

Well, yes, because I was specifically referring to this:
Why are people so hateful of Sims 4, and (1) Still here

Anyway, yes, moving on. I agree with that the look of the paras needs improvement. I'm not into hyper-realism but so far the aesthetics looks a bit too much like a mobile game for my taste.
Top Secret Researcher
#1025 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 3:41 AM Last edited by Emmett Brown : 9th Mar 2021 at 3:45 AM. Reason: Just dial 1-800 oh come on!
Instead of saying why we don't like the Sims 4, we should learn to make mods to make it a game we do like. You know, be positive?
For example, this modder named Zero made a real interesting mod based on the Dust Bunny "kit". It involves using magic to remove or summon dust bunnies.
I'd play it, but instead of giving up the Sims 4 entirely for Lent, I gave up just vampires, witches and seances. So, no can do until after Easter.

edit: Seriously? Downvotes already? Are you so bitter that is the only way you can find joy in life is to come here and post how you hate the sims and resent even the suggestion that it be made better with mods? Now you're just trolling.
Screenshots

Sims are better than us.
Page 41 of 73