Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:25 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural
Default Black Screen Issue
Ok, this isn't a Sims 3 problem exclusively, but I'm still hoping to get some help anyway, if possible. Pretty much, the problem I'm having happens on other games (Bioshock, Guild Wars, Dead Space, Fall Out 3) as well as TS3, but it just happens faster when I try to play TS3. Basically what happens is after I'm playing a game for awhile, usually between 30 minutes and an hour (in TS3's case 10 minutes or less) the game will freeze up, the sound will stutter for a few seconds, then stop and the screen either turns black, orange or gray with thin vertical purple stripes. Once it does this, I can't minimize the game, I can't bring up the task manager, I can't do anything. I have to hit the power button on my case. I've tried everything I can think of and I've spent a decent amount of money trying to resolve anything it could likely be, but it's not working. TS3 has gone to the black screen all 5 times I've tried to play since installing this afternoon, each time only about 10 minutes or so after loading it up.

I used to think it was an overheating issue, but now I'm not so sure. I've tried installing a Akasa Vortexx Neo Cool Blue VGA cooler on my video card and it didn't work. I then bought a new, better psu and still, nothing. I bought a better case (Antec Nine Hundred) that has great airflow and lots of fans (four 120mm front, side and rear and a 200mm top fan) and that didn't work. I tried cleaning off the old thermal compound and putting Arctic Silver 5 on. I even tried completely uninstalling my video card drivers and installing the newest ones, but nothing has helped. So now I'm not sure what to try next. This issue has only been happening for like 3 weeks or so and I have no idea what could have caused it because I hadn't done anything in that time. Any ideas of what I could try next would be appreciated. I've been waiting to play TS3 for months and I hate that my computer won't play it when I'm way above the minimum requirements. Here's my computer specs:

Windows XP Home SP 3
ASUS M2R32-MVP AM2+/AM2 AMD 580X CrossFire ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor
3 GB RAM (3X CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800)
XFX ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V PSU

Everything there is under a year old. The video card is only 4 months old and the psu is only a few days old.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:09 PM
This definitely sounds like either overheating or damage to your graphics card. I had exactly the same issue in the two weeks before my 8800GTS died completely. Have you actually run a program like HWMonitor to keep track of your temperatures?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:30 PM
I've been monitoring all my temps with Everest and even while running TS3 or any other game, the highest temp is my CPU and it's only like 52 C. The video card and motherboard only reach around 38-40 C. So I don't think it's overheating. If it is a problem with my video card, I have a lifetime warranty on it through XFX (the reason I bought that brand) so I could do an RMA if needed. I also tested all my RAM (all 3 gigs show no errors) so I know it's not that, either. I did just run Disk Defrag last night since I haven't run it in months (I kept forgetting) so after 8 hours or so, it finished. Someone also told me it could be my HDD, so I'm going to run scandisk next. If that doesn't show anything, I'll do an RMA with my video card.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 5:40 PM
I think the ATI cards are having an issue with random motherboard chipsets. I have the HIS ATI Radeon HD 3850, same issues. My original post is archived since it was posted before the merge on S2C. All my temps are in an ok range too.

I put my video card on an ASUS mobo with a different chipset and could not produce a lockup, although the only sims game played was up to NL. Likewise the other nVidia card did not produce any lockups on my computer. So that seems to rule out hardware issues, but not hardware incompatibility.

Can a driver cause the complete lockup? And random? If it were the drivers I would expect consistent lockups.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 6:05 PM
My issue only started 3 weeks ago, though, and I've had the video card since Feb. 1st. I didn't change any drivers until after the problem started. So I don't think it's anything to do with incompatibility or any drivers. Maybe my video card is bad. I ran scandisk and it didn't show any problems with my HDD so that leaves the video card. I just can't think of anything else.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 7:05 PM
Mine started a few weeks earlier and the card is just over a year old, and my HD was reformated so there was no possibilities of previous drivers. I even updated my BIOS after the issues started, which I don't do unless there is a major update to it or I am having issues.

I ran Prime95 overnight with no errors, so I am definitely confused.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 4:37 PM Last edited by ShortyBoo : 4th Jun 2009 at 10:45 PM.
I really wish I could figure this out. I'm actually getting this feeling of deja vu because back when I first got TS2, I bought a GeForce 6600 GT just to have decent graphics in the game (it was a high end card back then) but all I ended up getting is an hour or less of play at a time before getting the NVidia blue screen error (back then, no one knew what it was) followed eventually by a BSOD with the Driver_Stuck_In_Infinite_Loop message. It was frustrating back then, but now it's even worse because I can't even play 5 minutes of the game.

I do have one way I could possibly check to see if it's my video card or not, though, but it will be a pain. My brother has a GeForce 8800 GTS, but I don't know if he'll agree to swap cards and test them since it will be quite a bit of work swapping the cards and changing the drivers. But when I contacted XFX, they asked me if I could try my card in another PC to see if I get the same issue, so I guess it's worth a shot.

EDIT: I just ran 3DMark06 and a few minutes in, I got the following error:

IDirect3DDevice9::Present failed: Device lost (D3DERR_DEVICELOST)

I'm not too familiar with the program (XFX tech support suggested I try running it) so I have no idea what the error means, but it sounds bad.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 7:22 PM
I solved my problem. It was just my video card dying. I didn't think it was since it was only 4 months old, but I swapped video cards with my brother and while he got the black screens I did before on my computer, I was able to play TS3 without any issues for over an hour. So I installed my old X1900 and I'm sending my card for an RMA tomorrow.
shiny!
retired moderator
#9 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 7:36 PM
Glad you got it fixed Just so you know the problem you experienced is almost always a video card issue.. could also be power supply though. Good luck with getting your card replaced! Since it's discontinued tech, XFX may give you an UPGRADE as a fix! Curious to know how XFX deals with it, so post back.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 11:36 PM Last edited by ShortyBoo : 12th Jun 2009 at 8:07 PM.
I knew it wasn't the psu because when the issue started, that was the first thing I replaced. It turned out my old one wasn't meant for PCI-e cards anyway, so it was a good thing. But it still happened with the new psu and after trading video cards with my brother and seeing my games run with his card and his not running with mine, it confirmed it was my card. I'm curious how they'll handle the RMA as well. Some companies are great and others not so much. Sony, for example, has always been wonderful. I've had to do an RMA on both my monitor and my keyboard before and both times they sent my replacement out the same day via UPS. Then when I'd get the replacement, I'd pack my bad one in the same box, slap the included pre-paid label over the label they used to send it and I had 30 days to get it back to them or they'd charge my credit card for the retail price. I wish more companies would do this. If XFX is good, though, I'll definitely buy my next video card from them. It would be nice, though, if they'd send me a 4870, but I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: Well, after jumping though a few hoops and waiting several days, XFX finally issued me an RMA. They gave me a PDF to print with instructions (luckily, it says it's ok to use a 3rd party fan as long as you return it to stock before sending it back) and a form to sign. I have to mail it to them first, then when they get it, they'll test my card and hopefully send me a replacement. They do say if they don't have the exact card, they'll substitute it, but not for anything lower than what you have. So basically, they could actually give me a 4870. So I'll be shipping it to them on Monday, but I probably won't get my replacement for 2 weeks or more. At least my old x1900 seems to run TS3 with no problems.