Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 7:25 PM
Is it possible to form polyamorous relationship among three sims or more?
Is there any way in the game I can get two sims already in a relationship (but they are not "steady") to be in a polyamorous relationship with a third (or fourth, fifth...) sim without it counting as a cheating and without anyone being jealous?

And if the game doesn't allow this, is there any mod that lets you do this?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 7:53 PM
Give everyone the No Jealousy lifetime happiness reward. It's from WA, though, I believe.

You sims will only be able to be romantic interests. You can't have more than one committed partner without causing corruption.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 9:08 PM
Like Nonamena said, Sims can only be Romantic Interests, but by your first post it seems like you already knew this.

'The 'No Jealousy' Lifetime reward costs 10,000 lifetime reward points, & will enable you to have numerous relationships without other sims becoming jealous

. Here is a quote from Carls Sim Guide.
This trait isn't for just any Sim. This is for those Sims who like to flirt with husbands and do other naughty things while they live a very chaotic love life. As the name implies, it eliminates jealousy all together. The question is, do you enjoy the drama when you make your Sim do all those devious things? This will eliminate that aspect that many evil players enjoy'

Here is also a link to the Wiki Page- http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Affair

I'm fairly certain Sims do not become jealous if they do not know what is going on- make sure there are no witnesses. Having never attempted this myself, I'm not entirely sure.

Have fun.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 9:43 PM
Thanks to both, I'll try that lifetime reward.
But what I really meant wasn't to have one sim cheat on another sim and suffer no consequences, I meant I want to get two sims in a relationship to both have a relationship with a third sim, all at the same time. Like a triangle, basically. And if it works with three, then it should work with even more.
But I understand there is no way to do this and still go steady (like a sim committed to more than one person, but still committed)?
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rope
But I understand there is no way to do this and still go steady (like a sim committed to more than one person, but still committed)?

You are correct, there is no means to do using the EA Core.

One could create a Core-Mod that handles such, however deviating that far from EA Standard would produce unpleasant side-effects.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 10:18 PM
Thanks to both, I'll try that lifetime reward.
But what I really meant wasn't to have one sim cheat on another sim and suffer no consequences, I meant I want to get two sims in a relationship to both have a relationship with a third sim, all at the same time. Like a triangle, basically. And if it works with three, then it should work with even more.

As long as every sim involved has the No Jealousy reward, you will be able to have relationships between all the sims and not suffer any jealousy issues. It could be 10 sims all having romantic interactions with each other and it will be perfectly fine as long as every sim has No Jealousy
Instructor
#7 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 4:07 AM Last edited by SimsLover50 : 18th Feb 2012 at 5:10 AM.
I haven't played since they fixed the broken 'no jealousy' award. But I used to play a alien polyamous group... But romantic reputation put the keebosh on that.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 3:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by twallan

One could create a Core-Mod that handles such, however deviating that far from EA Standard would produce unpleasant side-effects.

What kind of unpleasant side-effects? I have no plans to make such a mod, since any kind of core modding is beyond my abilities. I'd probably turn the game into a BFBVS (Pescadese n. a game that is completely unplayable, due to corruption, glitches, or whatever) just trying to go through the files. I'm just curious.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 1:10 PM
Okay, I'm trying this, but it's not really working out as I want. While I can still have romantic interactions among the three sims, the game still thinks it's a cheating, cause it gives me the option of "Confess to Cheating". None of the three sims involved are committed, they are all just Romantic Interests, why does it think they are cheating?

Also, initially I managed to get the option to ask the third sim to come join the family, and they did, but then my game crashed and now it's not giving me that option anymore, probably cause this time there is this "cheating" involved.

One last thing, a pop-up message appeared at some point telling me that "3 is a crowd in romance" and that I should end this. I dismissed the message, but I don't know what are the consequences for either accepting or dismissing it.
Test Subject
#10 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 2:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by twallan

. . . Well, that's worrying.

How unpleasant, exactly? I had a glitch recently that caused one of my Sims to have two boyfriends at once. I broke one relationship up as soon as I noticed but would that already be enough to corrupt something somewhere?
Instructor
#11 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 12:05 AM
From the sounds of it, your "glitch" is a corruption somewhere.
Wouldn't have happened otherwise :P
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 2:57 AM
None of the three sims involved are committed, they are all just Romantic Interests, why does it think they are cheating?
I suspect someone at EA has abandonment issues. What one cannot readily imagine, one will not effectively automate.

Janet has two kinds of thanks-for-a-lovely-evening kisses. One says "I like you and want to see you again"; the other says that plus "You're welcome to come in." In my view neither kind says "we are now in a committed relationship," but in the game's view apparently all kisses do.

Memo to self: do not date EA developers and especially do not kiss them. There could be hell to pay.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 9:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MrsNervousSubject
From the sounds of it, your "glitch" is a corruption somewhere.
Wouldn't have happened otherwise :P

Actually, after doing some research around, I don't think it's a glitch at all. Apparently as soon as you initiate any kind of romantic interaction with someone, even if you just flirt without kissing, and then you do that with a second person, you are cheating.

This is actually affecting my game now, because as long as my sims are marked as cheaters, it doesn't let me ask other sims to move in anymore. I had to use a cheat to give myself Lifetime Happiness Points and buy the Clean State reward which completely erased my romance history (not something I really wanted), but after that I was immediately able to ask the third sim to move in.

I'm wondering if there is a mod that simply does not record these "cheatings" at all.
Test Subject
#14 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 9:54 AM
Actually, after doing some research around, I don't think it's a glitch at all. Apparently as soon as you initiate any kind of romantic interaction with someone, even if you just flirt without kissing, and then you do that with a second person, you are cheating.

No, this was my Sim actually having two boyfriends at once. Multiple romantic interests are allowed but the game doesn't normally let you start a committed relationship if you already have one. My glitch was that it temporarily forgot that two of my Sims were already committed and then remembered about it again later, by which point one of the Sims involved already had a new SO.

Largely due to this mess I did find out that the 'fixed' No Jealousy reward still won't stop accusations of cheating, they'll still trigger autonomously. What it did seem to stop was the loss of relationship points and the negative moodlets, leading to the weird situation where your Sims will drop everything to get yelled at for something their lover isn't even mad about.
Instructor
#15 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 10:21 AM
Sorry Rope, I wasn't actually referring to your OP. xD!

No, that's not a glitch - that's EA forcing it's values down your throat.
Theorist
#16 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 4:39 PM
Going to have to experiment with this. I had a playboy back in Sims 2 who wasn't in a steady or committed relationship but had great relationships with all the ladies... and he woohoo'd every girl YA - A in town. I might just try this scenario again.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Instructor
#17 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 5:17 PM Last edited by SimsLover50 : 27th Feb 2012 at 5:06 AM.
The romantic rep recombobulator mod on this site has a kill all mode which used to work to stop the accuse of cheating nonsense.

You can add no jealousy, 'above reproach' as options as well.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nikkiforest99
What kind of unpleasant side-effects?

Any game saved using that Core would probably be permanently linked to it. So if the Core-Mod became obsolete, you would not be able to even load the save again.

It would not be possible to export sims from that save-game and share them with users not using that Core, since the information stored with the sim would be different that expected.

Small things like that.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 12:57 AM
I don't usually like to mess around in the core of the game, with the exception of AwesomeMod and your own ErrorTrap (=
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 7:30 PM
I warn you, it is much, MUCH harder to woohoo in The Sims 3 than it is in The Sims 2 (in fact, I have known cases in The Sims 3 where doing so was impossible, and I was attempting it between two lovers.)

Laugh not, for World War 3 is starting to become very real, and the heroes in the television shows will not appear to stop it. Be wise and prepare now.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 12:34 AM
Things are totally not working as I'd like them to be with my poly triad of sims.

Simply using the No Jealousy reward is not doing much. Aside from the romantic reputation being constantly ruined and my sims being publicly disgraced, I'm now having fights in the household. Sims are accusing each other of cheating on their own accord and I can't even dismiss that action once it comes up. They are now getting mad at each other but I don't see how this could be happening. They all have the No Jealousy reward and even the Stone Hearted reward which is supposed to tone down all the dramas.

Can't more then two sims be romantically involved with each other without having to deal with these stupid "cheatings" and undismissable accusations?
Instructor
#22 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 4:15 AM Last edited by SimsLover50 : 23rd Feb 2012 at 4:59 AM.
The accuse of cheating stuff has to do with the romantic rep entirely and not jealousy as you might suspect. When the rep gets 'bad,' the sims accuse.

I preferred the game much more to pre-generations when the romantic rep was introduced. (LOL, see my complaints in the generations forum about this annoyance). Then all I had to worry about an occasional bad reputation blip from being a movie star and my sim getting caught doing something that produced celebrity gossip.

The romantic rep stuff makes the game not fun to play- at least for me. I want to decide when my sim breaks up, or if they are even bothered by what happens in the relationship. I also want to decide what a sim's reputation is. Taking gameplay elements like that away from simmers is not fun. Having my sim auto-breakup is likewise not fun.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 4:58 PM
I agree. I don't understand why they did the romantic reputation thing. The active sims do hardly anything on their own - they're not going to make autonomous decisions about a career or a relationship, so that the player can decide their every move. So why make them autonomously decide to be angry about cheating and additionally, implement it in such a bizarre way. My sim can woohoo in elevators with every sim in Bridgeport and everybody's cool. But kiss 2 different sims and she's a naughty cheater. Weird.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 6:39 PM
Things are totally not working as I'd like them to be with my poly triad of sims.

Simply using the No Jealousy reward is not doing much. Aside from the romantic reputation being constantly ruined and my sims being publicly disgraced, I'm now having fights in the household. Sims are accusing each other of cheating on their own accord and I can't even dismiss that action once it comes up. They are now getting mad at each other but I don't see how this could be happening. They all have the No Jealousy reward and even the Stone Hearted reward which is supposed to tone down all the dramas.

Can't more then two sims be romantically involved with each other without having to deal with these stupid "cheatings" and undismissable accusations?

Maybe try out the Above Reproach LTR? Also, this mod might help: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=446164

and it is compatible with 1.29.
Instructor
#25 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 4:26 AM
The romantic rep thing just isn't fun. It was poorly implemented and then sort of never used. It made no sense either, really to come out with generations because well, it is romantic rep. Maybe it should come out with the release of an overall romance episode. Now, I can see creating an overall rep... But people are all different. A person could have multiple boyfriends, be a player and also donate to charity, and a generous person. But the game defines anyone who isn't living a mongamous life as evil and gives them a horrible rep. Who thought that up? Seems really judgemental to me. To me this is a GAME. I don't need EA to define what is ok. I can have a kleptomaniac thief, who feeds the neigbors to the cow plant and that's ok. But if she has 2 boyfriends, she's awful and deserves to be slapped. Okay

I honestly think there needs to be at least several 'non-monongamous' romance states. A person should be able to date and have more than one boyfriend or girlfriend. People do date multiple people in real life and they aren't horrible or immoral. That's what dating is about. As long as everyone's aware and consenting, I see no harm in it. For the romantic rep to kick in, the sim should be at least at fiancee/married stage. Otherwise whats the point of having 4 degrees of monogamy. Love inerest, boyfriend/girlfriend, fiancee, wife/hubbie... When in reputation terms its nearly all the same as being married.
Page 1 of 2