Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#201 Old 29th Nov 2005 at 1:18 AM
next question? when i change the guid and the ID and commit to all ...... is all of the group id's throughout suppose to change or just that one?
Advertisement
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#202 Old 29th Nov 2005 at 7:34 AM
Ok, I think I'll answer this question using a definition.

guids are a unique sequence of letters and numbers that set an object aside from everything else in the game. If the guid is not changed, then a career (or any otehr object) will overwrite the object it was based on.

Group ID- You know, I've never fully got what the group ID is. All I know is that if it's a maxis ID, the career will still overwrite.

First, you register a new guid for your object, then you have to fix the group ID by pressing the "Fix Intergrity" button on the SimPE menu.

Has this answered your question? Or have I just waffled on a bit too much?

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Lab Assistant
#203 Old 30th Nov 2005 at 2:19 AM Last edited by diplacesims : 1st Dec 2005 at 2:31 AM.
you answered it perfectly. I understand now. Thank you very, very much. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Test Subject
#204 Old 30th Nov 2005 at 2:52 AM
how much of this tutorial do i have to do if i use the career editor?
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#205 Old 30th Nov 2005 at 7:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Karmasinc
how much of this tutorial do i have to do if i use the career editor?

bidou's career editor makes life a lot easier when inputting data, but doens't cover everything. Things that need to be done manually-

Linking careers to teen/elder careers (Behaviour function)
Linking careers to reward objects (Behaviour function)
Adding in icons (jpg/tga/png Image)
Changing the guid and group ID (Object Data)

Hope this helps,

SuperFly

Test Subject
#206 Old 1st Dec 2005 at 2:31 AM
Thank you Superfly......that helps a lot. I'm almost finished with my first custom career and wanted to make sure I got everything done correctly before I started testing. Anyone on here willing to do custom icons?
Test Subject
#207 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 8:06 PM
Default this is where i get stuck...
okay, this is my first time at making a career. Im using the tutorial in this thread: http://forums.modthesims2.com/showt...?threadid=10697

okay, so far, its going good... untill i get to step 16, can someone please help me out???
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#208 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 8:15 PM
There's a much easier way to get a base career- downlaod one of the careers found on this page- http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=49038. Keep it in a safe place and use it as a base career. Every time you want to make a new career, take a copy of the file and modify it

Test Subject
#209 Old 15th Dec 2005 at 9:12 PM
thanks i appreciate it
#210 Old 31st Dec 2005 at 1:54 AM
How is it that you get the file. It's .rar format. How do I open it? Thanks
Test Subject
#211 Old 3rd Jan 2006 at 3:22 AM
OK, i think this tutorial needs to be more specific or i'm just stupid. In step 5, part 6, what file do we browse to? what to we choose if we cannot distinguish descriptive file from the rest? i have a file in the place where i save my athletic re-make copy (like you suggest) and it is on its on along with other folders, but my SimPE says 'exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown'. What does this mean. The file is called package so i assume this is the file that you want opened. PLease help! I want to create a career so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Test Subject
#212 Old 3rd Jan 2006 at 3:23 AM
Oh, send the help to my account on MTS2, cos i'll definitely get it. Do not send to my e-mail address as it will go into my junk-mail. If you wish, send it on this forum for others with my problem in the future.
Thanks
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#213 Old 3rd Jan 2006 at 5:09 PM
OK- well, this tutorial is a bit out of date, mainly because career are becoming less popular, and there's a better tool for creating new careers. bidou's career editor. Download teh latest version of SimPE, and run it (it's found in the top left corner of the screen). It's very user friendly and easy to work out

SuperFly

Test Subject
#214 Old 3rd Jan 2006 at 6:22 PM
I have the latest edition of SimPE that the site would give, and how long ago was bidou's guide created? Is there a new one or updated version?

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]What's the deal with [COLOR=Silver]steel[/COLOR] wool? Is it steel or is it wool? Make up your mind steel wool[/COLOR]
Test Subject
#215 Old 4th Jan 2006 at 8:52 PM
Agreed, this seems grosly out of date.

Is there a newer document somewhere? MTS2 shouldn't be linking to articles that contain out of date information, IMO.
Test Subject
#216 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 3:54 PM
Hi, I've got some questions: Can you make teen careers with bidou's career editor and if yes, how do this (so there are only 3 career steps instead of 10?)
And do I still have to change the group ID in the newer versions of SimPE (I have 0.52)if I want to make a career and use the career editor?
(Sorry if I made some mistakes, I'm from Germany and still learning but I hope you're still able to understand my questions)
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#217 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 7:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Silbermond
Hi, I've got some questions: Can you make teen careers with bidou's career editor and if yes, how do this (so there are only 3 career steps instead of 10?)
And do I still have to change the group ID in the newer versions of SimPE (I have 0.52)if I want to make a career and use the career editor?
(Sorry if I made some mistakes, I'm from Germany and still learning but I hope you're still able to understand my questions)

1) Teen careers are created in exactly the same way as adult career- the base teen careers can be found here- http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=49038

2) You still need to update the group ID, regardless of what version of SimPE you're using. It's a simple button click this time around (version .52)- Fix Integrity (sse here)

radiophonic, I'm afraid that this is the best tutorial there is. With fewer people creating careers, the need isn't that great :lonely: Still, if you have the newest version of SimPE, bidou's editor is quite self explanitory.

SuperFly

Test Subject
#218 Old 6th Jan 2006 at 2:38 PM
Thank you so much, I could never find the fix integrity button but that pictured tutorial is great =)
Test Subject
#219 Old 7th Jan 2006 at 4:14 AM
When I try to make careers, the creator tool in SimPE is grayed out and I can't access it. How do I make it useable?
Test Subject
#220 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 5:37 PM
How do I link a teen/elder career to an adult career in the newer versions of SimPe?
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#221 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 7:36 PM
MahioPie, have you a career loaded in SimPE when trying to click the editor?

Silbermond- have a look here- http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=114163

Test Subject
#222 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 9:46 AM
Career Help Needed
Hello! I frequent MTS2 often and have found lots of useful stuff, but I am just STUMPED when it comes to making a custom career. For the past 2-3 months I've searched this forum almost religiously, looking for a tutorial that will speak to me like I'm 3. And I seriously mean that!

I've read through the 4 tutorials offered at the Tutorial section. All seem well written, but I just can't seem to get anything out of them. I DL'd the 64 page tutorial and get stuck right away. I have Bidou's base career (or whatever it's called...apologies) and have successfully typed a career, but I've no idea how to save it, make sure it doesn't overwrite the Maxis base career, etc. I'm kind of going at this blind, hoping I don't screw something up in the process.

Is there a tutorial based on Bidou's base career that is absolutely remedial? I mean, starting with:

Open Sim PE
-Double click on Sim PE icon

I'm talking treat me like I'm 3...you probably can't over-simplify this enough. I have what I think are some great career ideas to contribute, but thus far can't seem to pull my head out of my butt long enough to figure this sucker out.

I'm not sure if I'll ever find this thread again (as one who doesn't normally use message boards, I find the site useful but kind of hard to navigate), perhaps a private message would work great for me?

Help me and I'll be your best friend! :baloons:

Beware...I'm a newbie! Be gentle and don't threaten to whip me...I enjoy that sort of thing.
Tell the world what you REALLY think...click here!
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#223 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 7:50 PM
kelleybo, I'll be happy to help out, but at the moment I have a lot of important exams I need to concentrate on. My last exam, Physics (I can't wait...) is next Tuesday, so I'll try to get back to you after that. If I have time between Phyics and Geology (I should have some free time) I'll start my "Careers for three year olds" course

Test Subject
#224 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 8:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperFly
kelleybo, I'll be happy to help out, but at the moment I have a lot of important exams I need to concentrate on. My last exam, Physics (I can't wait...) is next Tuesday, so I'll try to get back to you after that. If I have time between Phyics and Geology (I should have some free time) I'll start my "Careers for three year olds" course

You are a god! Good luck on your final...I think me learning how to make a career is a tiny bit less important than a college education!

BTW, I just bookmarked this thread so I can find it again!

Beware...I'm a newbie! Be gentle and don't threaten to whip me...I enjoy that sort of thing.
Tell the world what you REALLY think...click here!
Test Subject
#225 Old 12th Jan 2006 at 11:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperFly
MahioPie, have you a career loaded in SimPE when trying to click the editor?

I'm pretty sure I do. You put the base careers in the data folder, right? Mine is non-existant, so I just placed them in the main SimPE folder.
Page 9 of 14