Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Updated! Gender Flip: Wild Fire Fro for the Ladies

by Nathia Posted 22nd Jul 2012 at 11:59 PM - Updated 29th Jul 2012 at 4:20 PM by Nathia : Attached fixed file.

95 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 28 Feedback Posts, 66 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 4
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#51 Old 26th Jul 2012 at 12:39 PM
:O) thank you i was thinking this hair would look great for women Thank you
Test Subject
Original Poster
#52 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 1:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DEMP12
its looks better on the women! please make more store hair conversitions/edits!! :D

Will do
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#53 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 1:39 AM
Thank you for this. As a natural, it's great to have some options for my sims other than braids.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#54 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 9:32 AM
The only comment I could find on My Sims 3 Blog that mentions the texture is this one:

Quote:
I was hoping someone would do this!! This is awesome! Now, if we can get someone to retexture, things will be right in the world! Lol!

Can you give me a link to the forum where people said they were having display issues?
Test Subject
#55 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 11:55 AM
Nathia, I am sorry to report I am also having the display issue (same one as on the pigtails). Again, the elder version looks okay, I have the store hair and it looks fine, etc.

It might be useful to know I DON'T have this issue on your Calculated Whimsy hair, if you may have done anything different in building that one.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#56 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 9:36 PM Last edited by Nathia : 27th Jul 2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Forgot a pertinent question.
So I compared my conversion to the other conversion that was linked, and they are virtually identical with the notable exception that I packaged my textures WITH the hair, and the other version links the textures to the Store hair. It seems that for some reason, packaging the textures with the hair upsets certain computers. The best solution is probably to offer two versions, one of which is linked to the original Store textures.

For reference, are you using Original Shine or Reduced Shine of the Calculated Whimsy hair?
Test Subject
#57 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 10:38 PM
I'm using the Reduced Shine version, sorry for not noting that.

It's so odd. These are the first times I've had this problem with custom hair, even Store conversions.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#58 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 10:55 PM
It's very strange, I'm not doing anything particularly unusual with the file. I export the textures and meshes, alter the meshes, and repackage with the CTU. Now on the Reduced Shine version, I both altered the Extra Data and did some texture changes as well as my mesh alterations. If that makes a difference, then you should have display issues when attempting to use the Original Shine version, could you test that for me when you get a chance? I'd really like to know why some folks are having difficulties, and if both versions work (or if the Original Shine doesn't work) that could provide valuable data for troubleshooting.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 11:00 PM
I'm sorry to say that I also couldn't use this version nor could I use the pigtails (Hello Angel edit) because of the same washed out/overlit texture issue. The calculated whimsy hair, however, worked perfectly. I also downloaded the "reduced shine" version. I have no idea what might be causing this. :\

I have Wojtek's version which actually does *not* link the store textures, but includes them in the file. It does not require the store hair. I am certain of this because I don't have the original store hair - and I have downloaded other conversions of his that have included the textures.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#60 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 11:25 PM
Nice! I can see one of my Insane sims wearing this...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#61 Old 28th Jul 2012 at 1:51 AM Last edited by Nathia : 28th Jul 2012 at 2:41 AM. Reason: New theory.
Odd, when I cracked it open it didn't appear all the textures were present. How mysterious! Actually, I think I'm onto something. I'll keep working on this issue, and post some test files in the near future for people to try out. It'd help if I could see some pics of the distortion on this hair, so I can get a better idea what I'm dealing with.

As for the pigtails, I actually just updated them with some new files. In theory, these will resolve the texture issues, but of course I can't know for sure as I can't reproduce the wonkiness in my game. Give those a try and let me know if it works for you, I would really like to get this sorted out for everybody. Thanks for your feedback!
Test Subject
#62 Old 28th Jul 2012 at 5:09 AM
Thank you so much for doing this! I've been dying for a good afro that's not like...a perfect sphere like the usual EA ones. So ridiculous that they consider this circus hair.

I also had an issue with it though :/ The best I can describe it is it looked like it was covered in plastic wrap. I was about to go to bed and just thought I'd check the comments to see if other people were having problems. I'll post a picture tomorrow
Test Subject
Original Poster
#63 Old 28th Jul 2012 at 5:45 AM
Ah ha! Well I suspect I know exactly what the problem is. Post a picture for me tomorrow and I'll try to have a fix for it by the evening. Do you happen to have any of my other hairs installed, and if so do they exhibit the same issue?
Test Subject
#64 Old 28th Jul 2012 at 4:41 PM
Nathia, I tried the original shine version of the Whimsy hair, and I did *not* get the covered-in-plastic-wrap (which is a good description for it) effect like I did with this afro and the first version of the pigtails.
Test Subject
#65 Old 28th Jul 2012 at 7:59 PM Last edited by kaisoleil : 28th Jul 2012 at 8:53 PM.
Here is a picture from my game, in all its plastic wrapped glory I have no idea why the screen shot came out so dark, but I think you can still see the problem pretty well! I don't have any of your other hairs, but if it would help I could always download any and see if they have the same problem in my game.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#66 Old 29th Jul 2012 at 2:57 AM Last edited by Nathia : 29th Jul 2012 at 6:29 AM. Reason: Added file.
Thanks for the data! I will try to get a test version uploaded here in the comments soon, hopefully this matter will be resolved. Now that I have a better idea what's causing it, I can make sure I don't keep uploading weird plastic-wrap hairs whose plastic-wrappy nature doesn't appear in my game. Thanks again for the feedback and stay tuned, a fix will appear here as soon as I get the chance to upload it.

Edit: I've attached the new file, and with the help of some very clever folks in the forum appear to have finally pinned down the issue. I somehow managed to send it looking for textures other than the ones I packaged it with. When it couldn't find them, it panicked, and thus you received something disturbing instead of hair. This didn't happen to everyone because if they happened to have those textures in their game already, the game found them just fine. I double-checked my other uploads, and they don't share these issues (the pigtails likely did, but the new file fixed that problem as well) and the original Elder file for this hair wasn't actually broken, it just mimicked the Adult file. Now that I understand the issue, I can avoid it, so expect no further shenanigans from my hairs.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Wild Fire Fro - Fixed.rar (4.94 MB, 52 downloads)
Description: Replace your AF file with this one in your Packages folder, use with the existing EF file.
Test Subject
#67 Old 29th Jul 2012 at 12:26 PM
I just tried it out, and it looks great now. Thank you for all of your hard work!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#68 Old 29th Jul 2012 at 5:50 PM
Wow!! I think I love this hairstyle, it's crazy, its sleazy and I can't wait to see it on my ladies!
Test Subject
#69 Old 29th Jul 2012 at 7:42 PM
It's perfect! Thanks so much for the fix
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#70 Old 30th Jul 2012 at 1:06 AM
Awesome. My hair gets like that. lol.
Test Subject
#71 Old 4th Aug 2012 at 5:45 PM
Great hair, works well, not circus at all
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#72 Old 7th Aug 2012 at 3:48 AM
Thank you so much. I can't wait to get this in my game. I can't believe this game has been out for what, 3 years and they still have a serious lack of hair for other than white Sims. Urgh....EA hair stinks anyway, unless it has been re-textured. Thanks again - looks amazing.
Inventor
THANKS POST
#73 Old 28th Aug 2012 at 11:39 AM
That's my hair if I'm lazy and don't brush it for a few days.
Very nice. I LOVE having more ethnic hair to work with.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#74 Old 31st Aug 2012 at 5:28 PM
Thank you! This is probably my absolute favorite hairstyle now. Great job, thanks again!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#75 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 7:28 PM
Lol this looks awesome on my female Sims! Thanks!
Page 3 of 4