Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Oct 2009 at 8:29 PM
Default Anyone who hates installing .sims3pack files say AYE!!
I can't stand installing .sims3pack files because for some reason they won't just install all at once when you Command-click (or Shift-click). Why can't there be a more practical way?!?!

This is why I love this site. All files have to be compressed, so all I have to do is extract the .rar or .zip file, drag the contents in my Packages folder and voila! Done.

Thesimsresource.com has so many great downloads, but they are in .sims3pack format and installing just takes forever! And I don't know about you guys, but shortly after I installed the latest patch, my Sims Uploader has gone retarded. It stops responding randomly so I constantly have to Force Quit and Relaunch (especially after each and every .sims3pack install). Oh and it takes FOREVER to launch it now, too. What is up with that??
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Oct 2009 at 8:36 PM
That's why I don't use the Launcher, I avoid it like the plague! I use it only to install Riverview just because I haven't found a workaround for it yet. So gladly - a double and triple and multiple aye's from me.

Use Delphy's MultiInstaller instead.
Scholar
#3 Old 1st Oct 2009 at 8:39 PM
*Scoffs at the launcher*

All hail Delphy!

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=364038

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Oct 2009 at 11:17 PM
That's wonderful -- Unfortunately I use Mac and the program is for Windoze only!! Sucks for me
Scholar
#5 Old 1st Oct 2009 at 11:19 PM
In that case, it's faster if you manually move the files into your Downloads folder in My Documents, then open the launcher and go to Downloads and install the newest ones. They should be right at the top.

Faster than double clicking them one by one.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Oct 2009 at 11:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sisaly
In that case, it's faster if you manually move the files into your Downloads folder in My Documents, then open the launcher and go to Downloads and install the newest ones. They should be right at the top.

I've always done it this way and never had any problems with the Launcher; so to the OP's thread title I say: Nay.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
In the Arena
retired moderator
#7 Old 1st Oct 2009 at 11:48 PM
try here: http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...tion_Tutorials/

I'd recommend jfade's 3Viewer since echo's unpacker (listed under modding tools) is no longer available. He has a .jar version with the .exe
The 3Viewer is not maintained though, as he posted it as TSR Merlin with a new UI and logo. But you won't get the custom icon, though.

I tested Merlin to see if there is any new functionality but it is the same from the short time I had it installed. (My firewall prompted me when it wanted to connect to the net, so I uninstalled it, as I don't need or want a 2nd Launcher )
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Oct 2009 at 2:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
I've always done it this way and never had any problems with the Launcher; so to the OP's thread title I say: Nay.

Quite the rebel there aren't ya
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Oct 2009 at 3:12 AM

Faster than double clicking them one by one.

Thanks so much! I had no idea you could do that :X
Alchemist
#10 Old 2nd Oct 2009 at 3:17 AM
i say Aye, i hate installing the .sims3pack files, even with the launcher when i do them all at once. It takes so long! I'm sorry to say i have no other ideas how to do them except using the launcher and doing them all at once (put them in downloads folder, open the launcher then go downloads-select the ones you want and click install. Then wait for it to load, then wait for it to install them all...)
Field Researcher
#11 Old 2nd Oct 2009 at 4:31 AM
With sims3pack lots I just use 3viewer to extract and rename them, and store the .packages. You can plonk the .package of a lot straight into the Library folder. It works with other things too, but lots are the only thing I tend to download and install in batches.
Instructor
#12 Old 2nd Oct 2009 at 5:12 AM
I don't use the launcher at all. I use 3Viewer to install .sims3pack files. As a lot creator I always double check my .rar's to make sure they not only extract right but that the sims3pack file will install.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 2nd Oct 2009 at 1:49 PM
Aye. I spend more time extracting them with Delphy's MultiInstaller than playing. The launcher is a BIG PITA and I try to stay away from it as much as possible.
Theorist
#14 Old 2nd Oct 2009 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
I use it only to install Riverview just because I haven't found a workaround for it yet.

Exactly same here!

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Test Subject
#15 Old 2nd Oct 2009 at 10:06 PM
Aye!

It's just plain boring. However, is just as boring as installing .sims2packs files. I don't understand why they don't make some .lot files - something like the .sim files that are usually sent to distribute sims.
Theorist
#16 Old 3rd Oct 2009 at 12:12 AM
I use the launcher for lots and the freebies I download from the store.

Otherwise I hand-install everything. It's much faster to drop a load of archived files into a directory, select all of them and choose the Extract To Here option than it is to try to get them installed using even the monkey. The monkey is great for beginners or someone who only installs a couple of files now and then. For anyone who is a serious downloader, manual installation is the fastest plus provides the additional value of keeping the organization of the Mods folder extremely tidy.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 3rd Oct 2009 at 1:29 AM
Installing Simspacks has always been like this, right from the Sims 1, although the Sims 1 packs were much nicer to look at, and had a bar.
Test Subject
#18 Old 8th Oct 2015 at 5:59 PM
Default Thank You!!
*Scoffs at the launcher*

All hail Delphy!

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=364038

You literally saved my entire life!! <3 <3 <3 thank you!!!!!!
Inventor
#19 Old 8th Oct 2015 at 11:24 PM
If I highlight multiple files at once and right click one and select open, they all install together. Not sure why it doesn't work for you. It does not work if you double click a file after highlighting them, though.
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 3:43 AM
I don't mind since I use CCMagic. All I install via the launcher is counters and worlds.
Theorist
#21 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 6:34 AM
Hate the launcher specially when you have to uninstall because you cannot find anything. I happen to have 12 GB of Store and 3rd party CC, easy enough to install but unintalling? Forget it. I LOVE my .package files and unless the creator specifically states that you can't convert them to .package, that is my choice of files to use. I love the creators that give you both .package and sims3pack options on their downloads.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Mad Poster
#22 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 9:40 AM
sometimes i would use it just so my mods folder wouldn't be clogged with packages, but i can see how it's a pain in the ass
Alchemist
#23 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 1:22 PM
Anyone who wants to bypass the Launcher as much as possible should take a look at these, if they already haven't:

1. How to install worlds without Launcher (and How to extract STBLs)
Honestly, I haven't found any disadvantages with converting worlds to .world and .packages. Installing and uninstalling a world is now simply a matter of copy/pasting files instead of waiting for the bloated and slow Launcher to open (and crossing your fingers it won't barf out an error), and you can pick and choose what files you want from that world (not to mention the fact that you can select CC e.g. clothes, hair, that comes with a world instead of installing the entire world just to have one hair).

2. How to avoid the "Materializing Materials" error with patterns converted from .sims3pack to .package
You CAN convert patterns. The reason that creators mention "do not convert" is this error, because it would be more of a pain to teach most people how to fix the stuff instead of just saying "don't convert them".

Assuming you convert your custom content to .package form, you will only need to use the Launcher for counters and possibly lots (I don't download lots so I haven't tried breaking them down into .packages).

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!