Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 9:24 AM Last edited by RomerJon17 : 3rd Feb 2014 at 10:00 AM.
Default Do you understand what your sims are talking about?
Okay I uploaded my video on YouTube without any background music and I noticed YouTube translated the language so weird!

Here's the video

I do not know what the sims are talking about, but YouTube translated the Simlish language.

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 10:31 AM
No, and anyone who claims they do is lying.

Youtube does rather puny voice recognition using English. You can run a video in French through it and it will come up with random similar-sounding English words. In fact, you can run a video in English through it, and it will still come up with random similar-sounding English words...

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 1:00 PM
I don't think the sims themselves understand what they're talking about. I have a theory that their language is mainly body-language based and the noises they make are just ways of getting attention or emotional outbursts. Kind of like cats.
One Minute Ninja'd
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 1:35 PM
Nah, cats are way smarter than a sim.

However, sims must communicate telepathically. I mean, how else can you instruct your sim to hold another sim's hand, but it's always the other sim that reaches for your sim's hand first?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 1:38 PM
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who noticed that interaction being backwards.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
#6 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 2:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Youtube does rather puny voice recognition using English.

Lol, one time I was watching pre-fight boxing conference with youtube subs, and apparently they we're saying things like "I need to jump on a train with a bag of salami"
It's like they just pulled the words out of a hat.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Field Researcher
#7 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 3:26 PM
I can't understand them, but the "bubbles" over their head show that they really like to talk about diamonds in my game... and death.
Site Helper
#8 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 3:29 PM
I understand them... Look at the picture over their head, figure out what the heck a loch ness monster has to do with anything, and they are saying that.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 4:36 PM
My Sims talk about each other a lot. Sometimes right in front of each other. It's no wonder they're always fighting.

I talk to myself but no one answers ;_;
Alchemist
#10 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 4:46 PM
I think that function on Youtube is just stupid ..
Inventor
#11 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 5:00 PM
I thought it was like the sims 2 book writing skill, that the thought bubbles are divided into actions and nouns, like space suit + planet + spaceship + Alien really means that a astronaut went to space and brought home a space alien, I always put money at the end and it was a best seller every time. In sims3 it seems more personal. Flies could mean you have garbage breath or I don't like what you said. So if my Sim child thinks of Grim Reaper when being grounded she is either a homicidal maniac or she is embaressed to death. I dunno why she would think of Robot Fish.

Some people have a Guardian Angel, you know a little guy sitting on your shoulder that tells you right from wrong, but mine is an Idiot.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 6:35 PM
EA did construct a language system (similar to how Tolkien constructed Elvish language for his worlds) but on a much smaller scale. I start to recognize the patterns over certain phrases they repeat when performing certain actions. So it is not entirely random. My presumption is TS3 has about 100 lines of scripted dialogues and each of these lines would go through a process to make it sound different than English as if it is a real language.

Here is a line that is stuck in my head. I still can't quite discern what it means:
"Pa lum mi la zic na?"

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
#13 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 7:36 PM
The thought bubbles give us clues - such as during a 'domestic' between a man and his unfaithful wife, I have often seen the husband think the 'trash' bubble and equally so during romantic encounters the 'bike' thought comes up often!
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 8:39 PM
I am fluent in all 18 dialects of Simlish.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 9:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
No, and anyone who claims they do is lying.

Youtube does rather puny voice recognition using English. You can run a video in French through it and it will come up with random similar-sounding English words. In fact, you can run a video in English through it, and it will still come up with random similar-sounding English words...

I ran the video in French... It came up with random language. But the speech bubbles are much better.

Some Simulation fans like the sims speak English but that's impossible...

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993
I don't think the sims themselves understand what they're talking about.
Technically the words are ambiguous, true, but native speakers get a lot from the context.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 12:18 AM
No, but I know what pets dream about. The picture of a roast comes up quite frequently in their dream bubbles.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Scholar
#18 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 6:23 AM
I try to understand them, but it proves impossible because I only have pics to go on and trying to judge from that is hard
Alchemist
#19 Old 4th Feb 2014 at 2:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
However, sims must communicate telepathically. I mean, how else can you instruct your sim to hold another sim's hand, but it's always the other sim that reaches for your sim's hand first?

It kinda reminds me of the telepathic Mrs. Crumplebottom.

Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
I think that function on Youtube is just stupid ..

Nah, I think it's just the development of a technology. At first, everything always starts from a crappy beginning where people think like, "What's this? This thing is dumb! What can this thing possibly be good for people?" Technology is always like that. Maybe Youtube is just implementing the beginning phase. Let's see how it will go in the future... Kinda OT, sorry, but I couldn't resist. I think the technology isn't sophisticated, not that it's stupid.

Just call me Nikel
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 3:58 PM
I think after all these years, I actually do understand them sometimes. I have been playing since the release of the second EP for The Sims. I played all the Sim City, Sim Earth type games before that. My brain translates it to English, it's in context with the situation at hand and I freak out a bit. All I can think is I wish this had rewind so I could play it for whoever is home with me so I know if htey can hear it too or if it's just me.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 7th Feb 2014 at 7:09 PM
Occasionally, I'm pretty sure I know what they're screaming at me. And it isn't very nice. ;-)

For me, guessing what they might be saying is the most entertaining part of watching Sim conversations. My partner and I like to sit there and ad-lib dialogue based on the pictures. Most of the time it's pretty ridiculous, but every once in a while there's an uncanny moment where it makes a lot of sense in the circumstances. It's kind of like a creativity exercise. If you haven't tried doing this out loud with another person, you should totally give it a shot!