Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:51 PM
Run game without disc??
I apologize if this question is in the wrong area...

I was wondering if it is possible to start up the game, and then remove the disc and the game will still run, be able to save and whatnot. It doesn't really sound possible to me, but my mom claims it was possible with some previous Sims games. I find it hard to believe her...so I'd just like some confirmation of 'yes/no' it does('nt) work. If you please

...though I do hope it's possible. It's torture having to share one copy between us.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:53 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Most games work without a disk, including TS1, TS2, and TS3. Usually a disk is only required to verify that you indeed have a legal game.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 3:10 PM
I can confirm it is 100% doable
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 3:18 PM
Thanks for the quick replies!

This is wonderful news
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 3:53 PM
This is probably a stupid question but how? When I try to get it to play without a disc it says 'please instert the Sims 3 disc'
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#6 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 3:55 PM
You can't run the game -without- the disk, but you can take the disk out once the game is running (maybe after neighborhood select - it complains at neighborhood select if you take it out then). However, you are only legally allowed by the EULA to install and use the game one at a time - you can have it on two different computers but only use it on one at a time. Thus, we don't support taking the disk out so two people can play it at once, though I doubt the EULA police will come after you for it.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 3:59 PM
Really, you can play without the disc? Whenever I try to load The Sims 2 without the disc in the drive it always asks for the disc. What am I doing wrong? I would really like to know as I want to play the game on my PC and my daughter may want to play it on her laptop (probably at the same time). If we always need the disc to play then we're going to have some problems!

Ignore - just saw HPs response
Field Researcher
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:08 PM
Excellent.

Now my sister can stop whining about me hogging the game. :P

Twitter | Tumblr | YouTube

28/11/07
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 6:09 PM
You are very much a pirate.