Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Nov 2004 at 6:54 AM Last edited by Numenor : 17th Oct 2006 at 9:07 AM.
Default Changing Default Skin - Without editing Sims07.package - Updated 8/31/2005
I Have the tutorial in MS Word format linked to the post above in "Replacing Default Textures Tutorial 2005-08-31.zip" if you wish to download this tutorial

If for some reason you would like the old tutorial that was designed for SimPE 0.12 OR if you need TXTR Extractor 0.31 download "Replacing Default Textures Tutorial Old.zip" above

This should also work for any texture in the game, try it out if you run into any problems, post it back here

Needed for this to work:
1. SimPE (This was written with 0.46c) Get it from the Main Site or from HERE where you may be able to get a more up-to-date version.
2. NVidia DDS Utilities – Get them here

As always, check for newer versions as they may work better or fix bugs

Before anything make sure you set the Nvidia DDS Utilities path in the SimPE preferences.

Also, I know that I got a few .Net Framework errors, Possibly because I can only install 2.0 Beta on XP 64, but if you get any that have the "continue" option just click on that button.

First off, a diagram as to where everything in the program is to speed things up
L – Whenever I say “left window” or similar this is the window I mean
R – Whenever I say “right window” or similar this is the window I mean
1 – Underneath is the “Clone” button
2 – Underneath is the “Create Resource” button
3 – Underneath is the “Filter” button (expanded in this picture)
4 – Underneath is the “Plugin” tab
5 – Underneath is the “Resource” tab

1. GET THE NECESSARY VALUES

Open SimPE Open Sims07.package (or whatever package the files you are replacing are in)

Click on "Name Map" in the left window, then select "Name Map" in the right box and then click the "Plugin" tab at the bottom if not already selected and a list of texture names with the addresses for each particular file will come up.

**Note: The reason for clicking “Name Map” in the left instead of “Texture Image” is that “Name Map” includes all the texture names used by the game which may include entries that “Texture Image” omits since those are just the files used for textures.**

Next Search for the files you want to change
Example: afbodynaked-nude-s1_txtr
When you find it copy down the SECOND hexadecimal group, in this one, 0xFF084205, you can ignore the 0x1C0532FA
Repeat for all needed files

Now Click on "Texture Image" in the upper left window, then in the "Filter" Area (Which is the magnifying glass on the toolbar on the far right of the screen) put that hexadecimal number you got from the previous step in the box that says “Instance Filter” which is the second box down (I would recommend typing them in Notepad or another program first and pasting, it would be quicker)

Click on the resulting texture image in the right box, then change to the "Resource" tab in the lower area, and copy the "Instance (High)", "Group", and "Instance" hexadecimal values, you will need these for the package file you will be creating.

Repeat this for every image you want to replace, just remember to give yourself note what textures the values are for, then do File->Close in SimPE when done to close the package file.

2. CREATE THE PACKAGE FILE

Start a new SimPE File, File->New
Next on the toolbar, click the create resource button, then click the newly created resource icon in the left window, then in the right window a new icon should have appeared, click on that and then click the “Resource” tab on the bottom, in the drop down box, select “Texture Image” and fill out the “Group”, “Instance (High)”, and “Instance” Field to match the texture you are replacing.

Then save the file so you can continue editing that entry, other wise you won’t be able to. I also suggest restarting SimPE at this point so it will actually say “Texture Image” in the left top box instead of the generic resource that you got when you created it.

Next select the Texture Image in the right box and click on the “Plugin” tab on the bottom. Right-click on the checkerboard and choose “Build DXT…”

Open the image and in the levels box put
1 if image is 1x1
2 if image is 2x2
3 if image is 4x4
4 if image is 8x8
5 if image is 16x16
6 if image is 32x32
7 if image is 64x64
8 if image is 128x128
9 if image is 256x256
10 if image is 512x512
11 if image is 1024x1024
Etc.

After that in the Filename box that you can type in which should now say “Unknown”, put the actual texture name of what you are replacing.
Example: “afbodynaked-nudecut-s1_txtr”

Then right-click on the image to the right and redo the “Build DXT…” Steps we just did, then click commit and Save the file, save it twice just to be sure, I have had problems with that in the past.
Then do File->Close, then reopen your file and redo the “Build DXT…” steps again for the third time and commit and save again.

Afterward if you need to replace more textures and are just replacing same size textures, like with skin body files, just right-click and select “clone” now you just have to change the hexadecimal addresses under the “Resources” tab to match the next texture’s, then go to the “Plugin” tab, change the filename to match the next texture file you are replacing, make sure you have the highest resolution image in the set selected, the do the “Build DXT…” step for the next image. But the great thing is that since you cloned the last file you did you only have to do the “Build DXT…” the one time then commit and save.

**Note: I have only tested this with same size skin files (all 1024x1024 for example) I am not sure if cloning will work with the same affect with different resolution files.**

I know doing the “Build DXT…” multiple times sounds like a bunch of useless repetition, but for some reason it is the only way to get the files in without image degradation, plus you no longer have to use TXTR Extractor to create the TXTR files separately.

Once done with all the textures you want to replace, put the *.package file in your “My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads” folder
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Replacing Default Textures Tutorial 2005-08-31.zip (157.5 KB, 851 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Replacing Default Textures Tutorial Old.zip (497.3 KB, 273 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 12th May 2005 at 5:31 AM
Hi!

This tute is well-written and I have been able to follow the first steps easily. I got stuck though when it came to using the TXTR program which I have not used before.

I understand you need to browse for your edited skin .bmp in the first window of the TXTR program (entitled "select source bitmap"), but I don't have any idea what to do with the very next window down entitled "select output file". I realise the "Texture name" window is for writing a file name in that you make up yourself. But I haven't been able to get this to work because of that second "select output file" window. What does that mean?

Thanks for any help!
Kylie.
#3 Old 13th May 2005 at 8:04 PM
Stupid question -- where can I get "TXTR Extractor"? Can't find it here or anywhere else
Test Subject
#4 Old 24th May 2005 at 6:26 AM
"Click on "Name Map" in the left window, then select "Name Map" in the right box and click "Plugin View""

How do i do this?? please help.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 3:12 AM
Sorry for the extremely delayed response, but i just havent been on the forum

Airelda, after you click new in txtr extractor enter the following in the box

In "SELECT SOURCE BITMAP" - Select your edited bitmap in first edit box (Ex. afbodynaked-nude-s1.bmp)

In "SELECT OUTPUT FILE" - Create a name for your TXTR file in second edit box (Ex. afbodynaked-nude-s1.txtr) (You Dont Have To Browse For It)

In "SELECT TXTR FORMAT" - If your texture had alpha channel choose DXT3 from TXTR format, if not choose DXT1.

In "TEXTURE NAME" - In texture name paste the name of the texture -> afbodynaked-nude-s1_txtr

Simply put the "Select Output File" is just the output file you will be creating

------------

PaulaJedi, if you don't have TXTR Extractor yet the file is now attached to the post
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 8:23 PM
Alright, so I've followed this, and everything works great until I get to saving the SimPE package file. Is there anything special I need to do to get the "Texture Image" to show up on the left hand side?
Test Subject
#7 Old 30th Aug 2005 at 4:26 PM
Morganthe, I'm also having that problem. I hope it's not because this tutorial was made for earlier versions of SimPE, that would suck because I don't think there's any other tute for how to change the default skins.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Aug 2005 at 5:42 AM Last edited by WhoGivesADam : 1st Sep 2005 at 1:21 AM.
Quote:
Yeah the original tutorial was written for a SimPE that came out a year ago, but I am working on one for SimPE 0.46c which just came out on 8/30, so it will be up in the next day or two

New tutorial is up
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Oct 2005 at 3:27 PM
A simple way to replace one's default nudes has been devised by Allan Akbar, his site is here. I'd suggest checking it before attempting a laborious process...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Oct 2005 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Senacharim
A simple way to replace one's default nudes has been devised by Allan Akbar, his site is here. I'd suggest checking it before attempting a laborious process...

Well yes you can download a default nude set elsewhere for replacement nudes, I just used that as an example in this tutorial. Also this should work for ANY TEXTURE in the game, hence why the post was titled "Replacing Default Textures", Not "Replacing Default Nudes".
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 8th Oct 2005 at 10:44 PM
I get stuck at the first Build DXT in the tutorial(using SimPE 0.48c):

Error while trying to open SimPE Version:
Default (0.48.2087.35611).

Exception Stack:
System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
at SimPe.Plugin.TxtrForm.SelectMipMapBlock(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Source:
simpe.scenegraph

Execution Stack:
at SimPe.Plugin.TxtrForm.SelectMipMapBlock(Object sender, EventArgs e)
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 27th Jan 2006 at 10:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by onald
Next select the Texture Image in the right box and click on the “Plugin” tab on the bottom. Right-click on the checkerboard and choose “Build DXT…”

at this point i got a Message:
Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: '0' is not a valid value for 'index'.

I hav the same problem! :mad:
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#13 Old 27th Jan 2006 at 3:49 PM
Do you have the nvidia packages installed that support dxt? It's linked in the first message.
Test Subject
#14 Old 15th Mar 2006 at 11:30 PM
Default I had the valid values issue as well
If you download the new SimPE .56, it has "Specified argument was out of the range of valid values" "Parameter name: '0' is not a valid value for 'index' " fixed, but when I downloaded that, it for some reason didnt recognize my dds utilities, which meant I couldnt "build dxt" so you just go to menu option "extra" and then "preferences" and in the first page there is a "Nvidia dds utlities folder" dialog in bold you just hit browse and point it to the program files/nvidia and hit the icon for the dds utlities, but if after installing simpe, you can still use the "build dxt" dialog, then you're good to go, no need to take the extra step.

Cheers
Dougie
Test Subject
#15 Old 19th Mar 2006 at 8:14 PM Last edited by TreyNutz2 : 19th Mar 2006 at 8:19 PM.
I just followed this tutorial with the latest SimPE version to create a default alien skin replacement. As a test, I used the Maxis S1 skin tones from BodyShop converted to pngs. I used the testing cheat to select the alien skin in BodyShop and sure enough there's no green. So it's partly working. I've only checked the male adults and teens, but the fit body and fat body use the normal body texture. They don't use the fit texture and fat texture respectively.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a Maxis bug with the alien skin? I double checked all the group, instance, and high instance numbers and they all look fine.

edited for clarity
Test Subject
#16 Old 22nd Mar 2006 at 2:47 AM
I'm using this tutorial to create default skins, and while it's been pretty easy to understand, the finished package file is a whopping 30 MB. I have never seen any other default skins come close to that. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Scholar
#17 Old 22nd Mar 2006 at 2:57 AM
is there a tutorial to tell you how to replace the default career skins/textures?
Field Researcher
#18 Old 9th May 2006 at 12:21 AM
Ever since TS2 came out, I dreamt of creating a neighborhood which is populated solely with my "banana-yellow" skintone (see my avatar ). Thanks to your tutorial, this can finally be done!
Scholar
#19 Old 10th Jun 2006 at 1:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kirsten1
I'm using this tutorial to create default skins, and while it's been pretty easy to understand, the finished package file is a whopping 30 MB. I have never seen any other default skins come close to that. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Kirsten, if you make sure that the image files you build DXT with are png files and you select compressed yes on the resource tab the file should be fairly small.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Test Subject
#20 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 11:20 AM
I can't click on Build DXT button on the checkerboard. Have I do something wrong?
Part-time Hermit
#21 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 3:55 PM
See the beginning of the tutorial: You need the DDS Utililies, and then you need to point SimPE to the folder they are installed in, in SimPE Preferences.
Locked thread | Locked by: Numenor Reason: New tutorial: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=194390[/url]