Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#1326 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 6:36 AM
Using the simple version of meshtool, you cannot add or delete points, because the obj file does not actually have bone assignments; the tool takes your changes and rebuilds a working gdmc that has all the info (like bones and morphs) in it.

You can use the Unimesh plugin for Milkshape and add and delete points, and you will also need to learn about making the bone assignments. You will need to build your own mesh file (same as here), but the instead of doing the obj thing, you will be importing from the gdmc you'd saved out.

There's two issues in editing something that someone else has edited:

1) You must have their permission, you can't just take their modified mesh as your base, the changes are *their* work

2) Many of the tools rebuild a gdmc which is *not* identical to the original, and the tools expect on import to be reading in a standard Maxis gdmc - so you might not be able to read/edit them anyway. This is because the tools had to be written w/o Maxis support - they reverse engineer the meshes and all the special parts of them.

And just for the info, you'd find all the pieces of their mesh -- in their mesh file!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#1327 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 7:10 PM
Thank you for answering! Does that mean if I give my new points some bones, then it will be fine then? Anyway, I will try and see

For editing other's mesh:

Actually I don't want to EDIT their mesh, all I want is export their mesh, import them in Milkshape and WATCH. By analysing others work, I'll be able to learn their tricks, like how to make a pretty-looking cloth but keep polygon count low, which points are better choices to move if want to make noticable changes, UV assignment, etc. etc. etc. That's always the way I train myself, understanding how others do :moose:

So I wonder is there a way to extract others obj file from their mesh file?
Instructor
#1328 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 8:01 PM
If you just want something to look at then just open the mesh package and click on the geometric data container(gmdc) then export .obj.
Lab Assistant
#1329 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 8:18 PM
THank you! How stupid i was! Forgot the most straight-forward way
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#1330 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 9:52 PM
taoyingying, with *this tool* (Meshtool, which this thread is about) you cannot delete or add points, because you *cannot* add or change the bone assignments of any points.

With the unimesh plugin (different thread, no tutorial yet) you CAN add points and make changes.

If you decide to go that route, please post further questions in *that thread*, where the unimesh plugin is. It is far too confusing to be talking about a different plugin here - this thread has to be reserved for questions about meshtool.
Lab Assistant
#1331 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 10:41 PM
Got your point tiggerypum :nod: For a beginner like me, maybe I should leave that issue for a while :salute:
Test Subject
#1332 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 9:30 AM
Trying to create a new hair mesh and I'm not gonna lie...this is confusing. I think I'll just freefall this like I do everything else in my life. You learn through trial and error right? [ :bandit:
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#1333 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 7:35 AM
Pretty much everyone is confused at first. Try the steps, follow them very carefully (and you might want to try the first time with a simple full body outfit) and try more than once... ask questions if you get stuck Keep trying and you'll get it.
Test Subject
#1334 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 10:26 AM
i dont quite understand what you mean by save it in the downloads directory. where are you talking about?
Test Subject
#1335 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 2:48 PM
I can't see the "extract to OBJ". Downloaded the mesh tool needed.... but what to do after that? Might be stupid question, but I'm a beginner. All else has gone just fine.
Test Subject
#1336 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 3:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rtrn2satmorn
i dont quite understand what you mean by save it in the downloads directory. where are you talking about?

It means the Sims 2 Downloads folder in My Documents -> EA Games -> The Sims2 -> Downloads
Test Subject
#1337 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 10:49 PM
Ive done everything right in this tutorial.. But it looks like wierd..
Is it something ive done wrong?
..Why does it look like that? Can you/or someone help?

Before I looked in bodyshop.. This mesh stand up in right place.. now it lyes down.. Should I save something before I turn of milkshape? Did I do something wrong with meshtool?

Instructor
#1338 Old 6th Mar 2006 at 4:59 AM
It sounds like you have a problem with the rotation.to fix export your mesh again then reimport with mesh tool.

Next time change the XZY setting to XYZ before you export.
Test Subject
#1339 Old 6th Mar 2006 at 9:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PAF
It sounds like you have a problem with the rotation.to fix export your mesh again then reimport with mesh tool.

Next time change the XZY setting to XYZ before you export.

Okey, I should export the GMDC to obj. again?
What should I reimport with the meshtool?

Where do I change those settings?

Thank you for helping me..
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#1340 Old 6th Mar 2006 at 2:28 PM
In the FAQ at the top of the bodyshop meshing area - there is the question:

Mesh: is Laying Down in Bodyshop
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=131397

Export your mesh again, leaving the settings to xzy format again. Then run meshtool using this new object file and the original gdmc. Import the new gdmc and your mesh should be standing up!
Test Subject
#1341 Old 8th Mar 2006 at 8:33 PM
man you rock
:flame:

I have opened the devils gate
I have doomed the world..............
I can stop him at any time ....
but.........I chose Not
I am all MightyI am KING
Lab Assistant
#1342 Old 9th Mar 2006 at 6:20 PM
Default re:
I have a problem...

I have shadfow when i move someting on my mesh! It's so pain....

What can i do?

Please help me i'm very desepointed :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda:

Uni mesh open my mesh (simpe file) with this shadow too....
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#1343 Old 9th Mar 2006 at 7:51 PM
Flye, look here in the FAQ:
Mesh: has seams/lines down the arms, legs and sides!
http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=131412
Lab Assistant
#1344 Old 9th Mar 2006 at 7:55 PM
Oh my god!!! Thks!!! My autosmooth was checked!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

I will post my first mesh for you see!!!! Thanks you i m very happyyy!!!!! :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :moose:
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#1345 Old 10th Mar 2006 at 1:17 AM
Well, flye, if autosmooth was checked, then the damage might be done, and you might have to *start over* to get your mesh right. Although you said you're working in meshtool... which would mean you'd likely need to weld those seams that are showing up. But as I'm not sure exactly what you're editing with....
Lab Assistant
#1346 Old 11th Mar 2006 at 10:43 AM Last edited by flye : 11th Mar 2006 at 1:46 PM.
I promised to you a screen of my first meshs!!!

I have a question, i would like cut some parts or do a transparency on the red parts of my mesh with alpha (with bodyshop) but i can't cause when i edit alpha, the mesh is not cut!
What can I do?
Lab Assistant
#1347 Old 11th Mar 2006 at 9:56 PM
Wimgs 3D CAN be used for clothing!
YAY! Hooray! It WORKED!! (I'm sure you can't tell that I'm excited by this) I hate Milkshape, and refuse to pay for it, so I was resigned to not being able to do clothing or hair meshes, until I saw this little utility from Hellborn, here And it worked! Here's a link to a picture of the completed tutorial gown, done in Wings 3D with his vertice mapper. You can't add or delete any vertices, but you CAN do new bodyshop meshes with Wings. :baloons:

“Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.”
-unknown
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#1348 Old 11th Mar 2006 at 11:44 PM
DragonArts, that is exciting news! I'll see how I can put that thread someplace where folks can find it!

And Flye, great meshes! Thank you for sharing them
In answer to the question regarding having transparent/alpha parts to the mesh, each game mesh has a material definition, which controls the transparency. The main body of the mesh needs to be totally solid, or you will get weird display things happening with it (we did this to a bed, and where 2 parts were close enough they'd bleed through as you changed views around the object). Some Maxis body meshes actually have more than one mesh joined together to make the complete mesh - and that second mesh can be set to blend, or the alpha set on. I do not personally own all the expansions, so I can't list off all the ones that have multiple parts, the hula girl is one. Probably for most changes you'd like to do, you'll need to either use the advanced mode of meshtool (with smd) or move to unimesh, because you'll want to add new vertices to the mesh, or move them large distances. You've gotten far, so I expect you could take the next step and work through what you need to get your transparent skirts/sleeves....
Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: Outdated, replacement tutorial posted
Page 54 of 54