Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 2:54 PM
Default Family Tree program for Entire Hood?
Hiya!

I've been wanting to make a family tree for my megahood to link to on my personal blog. But I'm not sure what site to use. It'd need to be free, of course, and be able to do multiple families that aren't necessarily connected.

If you use one, what do you use?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 3:09 PM
I've found a few people talking good about 'familyecho', personally I haven't used any but I'll take their word.

Here's the thread if you're interested: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/...hp?topic=2311.0
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 3:13 PM
Thanks for that link!
I had seen family echo somewhere else and bookmarked it, but I didn't want to start using it without knowing if it could do multiple families or not. But that link you provided seems to indicate that it does.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 3:20 PM
You're welcome!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 4:22 PM
I use Family Echo and as far as I know it *sort of* does what you want to do. I think? I'm not sure if I've understood correctly what you're looking for.

On Family Echo all sims in each family tree have to have family connections - so you can't have all families from your 'hood in one family tree unless there are family ties between each family. But you can make multiple family trees on your account, so you could make several separate family trees to include all of your sims. I don't know if there's an easy way to connect separate family trees or if you'd have to input loads of information again when, say, two of your sims from separate family trees got married.
Instructor
#6 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
On Family Echo all sims in each family tree have to have family connections

They do, but nothing says the entries have to be people. The ultimate ancestor of my family is the name of the hood.

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Theorist
#7 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 6:10 PM
I could have sworn did once see the family tree of a user from this forum on family echo (they had a link in their signature) where they had all the families in one tree without them being related.
Maybe the person who did that is still around here and might see this thread so they can tell us how they did that?

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 9:28 PM
You can do multiple separate families in family echo if you import from a GEDCOM file that contains multiple separate families. But you can't add any people via the UI that are not connected to anyone else on the tree.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 20th Nov 2020 at 9:31 PM
I like MyHeritage - it's free to use (although it does bug you to upgrade to use the online component and family matching, which are irrelevant) - it's easy to you and makes trees easy.

You can have everyone in the hood within, regardless of family connections, or lack thereof.
Instructor
#10 Old 21st Nov 2020 at 4:06 PM
I use Family Echo and have a tree with all my families in it and I used the name of my neighbourhood as the starting point or 'parents' of the tree. Then each founding couple are the children. It is very easy to use and free.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 26th Nov 2020 at 7:58 PM
I use Ahnenblatt. It's possible to have several families that are not related to each other in the same file. The program also has some nice options for statistics and printing family trees. There is an English version of the program and I never got any prompts to upgrade to the pay version. As the program is for genealogists, there are some fields that are not necessary for sims, but it's possible to use these fields for different information - I like to e.g. put the aspiration in the field for religion.
Scholar
#12 Old 26th Nov 2020 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by egswanso
I like MyHeritage - it's free to use (although it does bug you to upgrade to use the online component and family matching, which are irrelevant) - it's easy to you and makes trees easy.

I use MyHeritage too, and apart from the "Friday automatic load-up" (trust me, it's irritating when you're happily watching something on Youtube or iPlayer and all of a sudden it pops up) and the regular "upgrade me" message (no thanks, I tried the updated version and it. kept. freezing!), I find it great. I've used it for multiple hoods, but especially my uberhood.

Now, if I could stop both of those annoyances in their tracks, I'd be 100% set up!

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 2nd Jan 2021 at 1:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whoward69
They do, but nothing says the entries have to be people. The ultimate ancestor of my family is the name of the hood.

@whoward69
That's actually a really great idea!

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Instructor
#14 Old 2nd Jan 2021 at 4:36 PM
I saw the thread is from back in November, just wanted to add that I tried My Heritage earlier and found it a bit clumsy as it contains more options than I really need to navigate when I just want to use it for my sims. I tried Family Echo after reading this thread today and it felt much quicker and simpler for this particular task.
Test Subject
#15 Old 2nd Jan 2021 at 5:06 PM
If you're looking for an alternative and you use Windows, I've been using My Family Tree (download via Microsoft store). Only tried with the Gedcom files via MCCC though (and only found it yesterday), but it's quite useful so far.

Would love to know if somebody knows of a way to extract family tree data with thumbnails though!