Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 6:12 AM
Default 'Recoloring' meshes?
So I'm completely new to making my own CC, and for now I'm not looking into making my own clothing meshes. All in due time. But I was wondering if it was deemed 'acceptable' to use someone else's mesh and I 'spose 'recolour' it with your own design. All whilst giving them the credit of course. Is this looked down upon or totally fine?
Sorry if it seems like a stupid question, but like I said, I'm totally new this and don't want to piss anyone off.
Also sorry if thread is in the wrong part of the forum or anything.
Thanks
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 6:36 PM
I don't make CC so don't take my word as authority, but from what I've seen it's fairly common for CC creators to get started with recolors/retextures and later move on to making their own meshes. Etiquette seems to be: give credit to the original mesh, make it clear what you've changed, and link back to the original creator. You may also need to contact them to get permission to use it, depending on the creator.
Site Helper
#3 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 8:36 PM
Yes, there are quite a lot of recolors available to download, so there should be no objection to making them provided that A) you don't claim the mesh as your own work, and B) the creator of the mesh allows you to use it. (There are still a lot of things that EA set with rather odd channels or added unnecessary stencils to if you want to practice recoloring some EA stuff.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Apr 2014 at 1:30 AM
Thanks for the kind replies, very helpful