Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#26 Old 19th Sep 2008 at 1:56 AM
New Town Blog / 3 New Screen Shots / 2 Exclusive VIP Screen Shots
I'm posting this as part of the latest update from the official site, even though this was posted at another thread. But it's my duty to condense everything together for your convenience! I quoted the entire blog, also for your convenience.

Quote:
Thu Sep 18 19:00:00 GMT 2008
Town Blog

Howdy! My name is JoAnna. One of the parts of The Sims 3 game that I produce is the town that you'll experience. We're having a blast creating this place for you! The town sits in a cozy cove that has everything from a beach and rocky coastline to mountains and farm land. The neighborhoods that extend through these areas all have their own style and feel. The place where your Sims live actually makes a difference. If you pick one of the smaller houses behind the town hall, they’ll have quick access to the activity of the town center, but their surroundings won’t be as nice as the coastal lots nestled among the pine trees. If you decide you want your Sims to live up on Summer Hill, they’ll have scenic vistas and colorful, wealthy neighbors for sure, but they’ll have to earn enough money to build there and they’ll spend more time in the car commuting to work.

Each occupied house is also tailored for the Sims who live in it. For example, Mrs. Crumplebottom's home is stoic with its modern, monochromatic furniture. The Bunch house reflects practicality over style, accommodating the family’s four kids of all ages. And if you’re looking for a special home to go on a particular plot of land that boasts your favorite view, you can find an array of different houses in the in-game "library". Browse through the collection and then plop the house you want right into the town. You'll also be able to modify any location, from decorating the yard with flamingos to bulldozing and rebuilding from the ground up, to replacing the family, or refurnishing it with retro ‘70s-themed furniture. One of my favorite houses is an ultra-tacky “starter home” that features a corrugated metal roof, mismatched wallpaper, a camo-covered living room set, zebra-print bedspreads, and even chain-link fence for the concrete yard.

Like the houses, all of the town residents also get a full design treatment. They have back stories, unique personality traits, relationships with Sims throughout the town, fully-designed wardrobes, detailed faces, careers, and more—everything to make them evolving, living citizens. Some are old, some are young, some are expecting, some are in love, some are slackers, some are rising stars, and some are simply looking for their place in the world.

When you’re ready to strike out beyond the surrounding neighborhood, the town center is ready and waiting! Your Sims can swim with friends at the public pool or throw a birthday party there. If your Sims want to work out and meet other athletic Sims, they can make the gym their regular stop. Art-loving Sims can visit the art gallery for inspiration and you can even replace the art there with paintings by your Sims! The bustling park is one of the most popular hang outs with its convenient fishing spots and an open green space that is perfect for picnics, barbeques, and games of catch. I don’t know if I’m just a nerd, but I especially like the town library that sits off the corner of the park. Maybe it’s the study areas surrounded by regal bookshelves or the grand central staircase or the kid’s play area in the west wing… or maybe it’s the Power Study moodlet my Sims get when they do their homework there.

Well, hopefully this gives you an idea of some of the fun places you’ll find around town in The Sims 3. I really hope you enjoy discovering the town and all of us here on the team really look forward to seeing what you do with it! Thanks for reading!

- JoAnna

There are three new screen shots in the main screen shots sections. There are also two new exclusive screen shots in the VIP section which I uploaded to my photobucket account in case you are having trouble viewing them or you have yet to sign up for the VIP. Here are the links:

Fishing Photo:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/...ntestROUGH2.jpg

Museum Photo:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/...umOBSERVING.jpg
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#27 Old 19th Sep 2008 at 1:58 AM
I'm just amazed by the new town! I can't believe that finally it matters where you live! And for you countryside/farm lovers out there, you will love the new farm area I'm sure. I saw a barn and windmill in one of the screen shots, along with some hills. And the water is gorgeous! I love how the sun shimmers across it.

Wow, and we get to do homework at the library and actually be rewarded for it. That is so neat!
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 20th Sep 2008 at 7:24 PM
From Gamespot:

Quote:
One last thing before we send you on your way: Arrested Development fans will be amused to know that a Sim named Gobias Coffee was wandering about in our demo. If only he could make it into the final game! Our host also mentioned that they "also have never nudes". Could being a never nude be a selectable trait? We can only hope.

Holy shit, and there was me thinking that there was nothing else they could do that would make me want this game more.
Scholar
#29 Old 20th Sep 2008 at 8:25 PM
never nudes? whats that? those people that are always naked..or is it a phobea of being naked? :s

im going to make a whole House neighbrohood...or maybee ugly betty.... or greys anatomy...damn..the possibilities...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#30 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 12:02 AM
I'm still confused by that paragraph, that is why I didn't quote it.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 12:20 AM
Well then, I highly suggest you both track down a lovely television series called 'Arrested Development' (Gobias a Coffee and Nevernudes are both running jokes from that show) and watch every episode. You'll thank me later
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#32 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 1:01 AM
What is a "nevernude?"
Scholar
#33 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 1:58 AM
Quote:
1. nevernude 255 up, 12 down
Rare psychological affliction of never being able to be completely naked; insistence on covering one's gentialia and/or buttocks. Referenced on Fox's "Arrested Develeopment", Dr. Tobia Funke and his cutoffs.
"He's a nevernude" - Lindsay (about Tobias)
"Is that what it sounds like?" - Michael
"Yes"

yay for urban dictionary...so i was right...somwhat
(and i know urban dictionary isnt the most reliable place...my friend posted there that Ramblotmat means a diry hairyitalian man...but the def. for nevernude sounds right)

to be honest with you..i really do hope that NeverNude is a trait...itd be funny to see our sims start to cry before they have to take a shower or somthing...or theyd do it in there swinwear...LMFAO
#34 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 4:00 AM
Hahah, nevernudes!
That really made me laugh out loud.
Hope they add segways
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#35 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 6:03 AM
Actually, The T had mentioned that in his Thailand Sims 2 game the Sims bathe and shower in their swimsuits. So no nudity is even in the game. That would suck if our game were like that, but I guess certain countries just have stricter laws than others.

In any case, I figured what "nevernude" was from my first guess after reading its definition. I just thought that it would mean something else like a character or something.

EDIT: Speaking of nudity, I just hope that this time Sims won't be shocked when watching their lovers being nude. That is just so stupid and unrealistic, EA, come on now.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#36 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 4:41 AM
Create-A-Style Blog
I'm posting this as part of the latest update from the official site, even though this was posted at another thread. But it's my duty to condense everything together for your convenience! I quoted the entire blog, also for your convenience.

Quote:
Create a Style

October 07, 2008 00:54 AM

Jennifer Lane – Associate Producer

My name is Jenn, and I’m a producer on The Sims 3. It’s always fun to talk about the game with players and today I’m going to tell you all about one of my favorite new features in The Sims 3—Create a Style!

Have you ever gone shopping and found a great outfit, perfect in every way except the pattern looks like a paint bucket exploded in the textile factory? Ever lost track of time after sitting in super comfy reading chair because you’ve been hypnotized by the garish pattern?

No worries! In The Sims 3 you’ll be able to put your personal touch on practically everything that your Sims own.

The Sims 3 will have a slew of clothing and objects available in the Create a Sim, Build Mode, and Buy Mode catalogs. There are plenty of ready-made design options, so you can quickly dress your Sim or furnish your house with designer flare and go play. But if you want to interject your own personal style into the game, Create a Style allows you to customize clothing, furnishings, walls, and nearly anything else your Sims can interact with.

In Create a Style you’ll have dozens of patterns to choose from including different fabrics, masonry, paint, metals, and a lot more. You can use the patterns in any way you want. If you really, really want to make a Sim wearing metal shoes and wooden pants, go for it!

Not only can you switch patterns around, you can apply them to select areas of an object to create a unique look. You can create a polka dot door with animal print door knobs or a tile lined sink with plaid water fixtures. Each item has between one and four customizable regions that can be modified. Take a polo shirt and add a plaid pattern to the collar, stripes to the sleeves and leopard print to the body for that … unique … design flourish. Okay, maybe there are more fashionable ways to design, but that’s for you to decide.

What if you love that bold geometric pattern, but hate the color scheme? Create a Style lets you pick the colors within patterns too. It even has warm and cool color palates to help you match hues for a color-coordinated theme.

When you’re finished creating, you can save your design for later use. And if you’re really into coordinated schemes, it’s easy to apply the same pattern to other objects that your Sims own for that extreme matchy-matchy look. Your Sims could have black and white striped socks to match their black and white striped car or a plaid shirt that matches their counter tops. Your Sim’s house could be decked out in argyle everything! –or not…

With so many options, you can decorate your house with a different motif everyday. Will you choose classic, rustic, and chic themes or mix and match to your hearts desire? Will you make your Sims fashion victims or mavericks of style? It’s up to you to create their style.

I can hardly wait to see your results!

Jenn

There are also three new screen shots at the official site.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#37 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 4:42 AM
Wow, this is just really cool! Wooden pants and metal shoes? At least that shows how customizable everything is! And the three new screen shots are so cool! Looks like we are getting the new AL playground objects in the base game. Thank God they are trying to put everything in the base game as much as they can.
Scholar
#38 Old 16th Oct 2008 at 2:52 AM
screenshots anyone? (small )
http://snootysims.com/thesims3/screens/thesims3-59.jpg
http://snootysims.com/thesims3/screens/thesims3-62.jpg
http://snootysims.com/thesims3/screens/thesims3-61.jpg
http://snootysims.com/thesims3/screens/thesims3-60.jpg

central park: meh., ill probobly rebuild it
water: a bit *to* reflective....hhmm...
pool: i dunno...the pools look empty to me...there weird...i hope a mod comes out to shade the water at least a little bit
graveyard: WIN! it looks like ghosts will be greenish now like in the sims 1
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#39 Old 16th Oct 2008 at 3:17 AM
I just hope that ghosts won't scare you to death as easily anymore. If it weren't for that, I would never delete the tombstones/urns.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 16th Oct 2008 at 6:05 AM
I wonder if the ghosts will come in different colors depending on their death. I wonder what interactions they will have with the living.
Scholar
#41 Old 16th Oct 2008 at 9:31 PM
New!: Career And Opportunity Blog
Quote:
Careers and Opportunities

Hello Fans of The Sims!

When it comes to careers, you frequently hear this advice, “Do what you love, and love what you do.” As a designer on The Sims 3, I love my job because I’ve been able to witness The Sims grow and develop right alongside me. In The Sims 3, I can assure you that your Sims will be able to do what they love, and love what they do, too! Their careers have matured and are deeper with exciting new gameplay and I’m going to share some of that with you today.

First, you’ll have many of your favorite careers from The Sims 2 such as the Law Enforcement and Athletic tracks. Of course, there will also be some new ones! With the debut of the Journalism career, your Sim will get to exercise their charisma skill by writing superior reviews of Sunset Valley locales and potentially become a star news anchor!

Your Sims can look for these jobs in the newspaper or apply right at the building where they’d like to work. If you want them to be musicians, head down to the theater to join up and then maybe stay for a show afterwards!

However, if you’re the type who likes to make a living at home selling paintings or growing fruit and vegetables and you want to pull in a little extra cash on the side — you can! Just swing by the local grocery store or day spa and sign up for a part-time job, complete with perks such as discounted ingredients and complimentary massages!

One of my favorite parts of the new career system is that there are some really enjoyable factors that determine your performance. For example, in the Business career, you can weasel your way to the top by schmoozing with the boss and developing your relationship outside of work. In the Medical career, keeping up on the medical journals that arrive in your mailbox will put you ahead. If you’re a politician, you’ll want to throw campaign fundraisers and solicit donations from the locals downtown.

Now this brings up a funny story: Today we had a team meeting in which Ben, the executive producer of the game, was giving a demo where he was playing a Sim in the Politics career. Unexpectedly, an opportunity popped up offering him a chance to dip into the campaign funds and illicitly skim some cash off the top for himself. Ben’s Sim gave it a shot, but was caught in the act, and the City Hall canned him. Too bad… but the local crime syndicate soon got word and within hours he’d been offered a lucrative position in the Criminal track! It was one of those unexpected moments that has always made The Sims games so entertaining!

Another exciting feature The Sims 3 now offers is branching careers! If you were to take a job at the criminal hideout, midway through you’ll be given the chance to delve into the burglar branch where you could become a Master Thief, or perhaps you’ll decide Evil is your true calling, and you’ll aim to be a World Dominator.

Once you reach the top of a career, though, it’s not over — if you keep excelling at your duties, you can rake in extra Simoleans through additional raises.

In The Sims 3, you can also take a bit of your career home with you through our new Opportunity system. Opportunities pop up while you play, giving you the chance to do a bit of extra work for a bonus—added performance, improved relationships with your coworkers, cash, a raise, or objects, to name a few.

For example, while you’re an evil henchman, you may be asked to rough someone up for the greater good of criminals everywhere. On the opposite side of the ethical scale, if you’re a medical intern, you might get an opportunity to donate part of your pancreas — you’ll be sore, but you’ll make a new friend and get a raise to boot. Or maybe your employer recognizes you’re an aspiring artist on the side and will request you bring in one of your better paintings to hang in the building!

There are also other ways to get opportunities that don’t depend on your Sims’ careers. If you’re working on a skill, you may get calls from other Sims looking for your help — but that’s a different story for a different day. Now it’s time I go back to doing what I love. Hopefully you’ll all love what we do too!

-- Ray Mazza

FACINATING! i love how tecnecly...each career track has sevral diffrent other carrers in it for specilazation!
and it looks like the town is called Sunset Valley now...good.
cant wait. only 4-5 more months...o.o
Field Researcher
#42 Old 16th Oct 2008 at 10:11 PM
I too like the sound of career branches. I'm still not sold on the look of the game, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it the day it's released and see if I warm up to it. The game play definitely intrigues me and I look forward to be able to kind of sit back and observe.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#43 Old 17th Oct 2008 at 12:10 AM
Great article! I love the idea of branching careers but I am a bit confused. Does it mean that instead of just one direction per career, there are multiple directions? So say you take on the Journalism career, rather than being a star news anchor as the top career, maybe you can instead be a writer? That's just an example.

The two new pictures are great, too! Those pigs are ugly, though, I hope I can see a few hot pigs walking around so that my Sim can say "apprehend me, Officer! I did it, I'm guilty, take me away!" Sorry, a cop in uniform is a turn-on. LOL

Although I am curious as to what the crime was in that photo because of the pigs is talking to a mother with a baby.

Nightracer, you think whenever you get a chance you can title your post? You don't have to, I just figured it would make it easier for people to not miss it when scrolling. Maybe something like "New Career Blog" or whatever. Sorry, I guess I'm just a tad bit anal-retentive and so forgive me for that, lol.
#44 Old 17th Oct 2008 at 4:38 AM
Oh I'm so excited now!
It mentions part-time jobs... I wonder if that's for teenagers or adults can have them too? I'd like to make a young, single mum who only has enough time for a little work =D
Oh, this sounds much better than TS2 now.
#45 Old 17th Oct 2008 at 11:15 AM
Wow! THIS is cool. Different tracks to careers? That is cool as hell. Part-time jobs and perks. Oh man, can you imagine where a workaholic sim might go in any career now? I love this idea. Though I was going to get the game anyway, this definitely makes me feel it just might live up to the hype. LOL I loved the 'dipping into campaign funds'. hehe.
Field Researcher
#46 Old 17th Oct 2008 at 7:06 PM
I'm really excited about calling for help! Haha, "could you nail for my new painting I bought from my neighbour?" or "don't you want to unclog my toilet?" :D
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#47 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 5:01 AM
The part-time jobs are great and yes it is implied that you can be a young adult and adult to have them because it mentions if you are not the career type and prefer to stay home more or just have more of a career-less life then you can apply at places for a part-time job and still get added bonuses. Wow, cheaper groceries if you work at the grocery store. Now I'm starting to realize why the grocery stores may be rabbit holes, because you can work in them. Though I hope they aren't rabbit holes because they are just like parks and shops where you can go there and browse and buy, etc.

EDIT: Thanks, Nightracer! It really helps a lot!
Scholar
#48 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 7:57 AM
yes..i see how it helps...the yhello thumbs up really stands out and your all "o whats that?"

indeed.

i remember in the sims 1 youd get stuff like "today at work at the farm you had to chase a cow and you tackeled it so now you work in the athletic career!" or somthing like that.... im glad thats back now.

i also hope they brought back the financial breakdown of the past week/3 days/today...that was nice
Field Researcher
#49 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 8:10 AM
What's a rabbit hole?
#50 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kusama
What's a rabbit hole?

It's a building that your sim can enter, but you can't follow them in.

For example, I'm pretty sure that sims' workplaces will be rabbit holes.

Edit: Can someone post the new VIP screenshots? I signed up for VIP, but I never got the e-mail, so I can't see them. Thanks!
Locked thread | Locked by: mangaroo Reason: thanks, frankie!
Page 2 of 94