Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 3:32 AM Last edited by heavenzdvl987 : 2nd Jun 2010 at 4:13 AM.
Default Architect/Design career
Is anyone having luck with this career? Or is anyone figuring it out better than I am? I seem to be only getting mediocre reception from clients. Does it matter what the furniture looks like (pattern etc) or just how much it costs? Does it matter if it fits in stylistically with the place? Or do things like painting skill matter a lot more?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 5:25 AM
I read before the EP came out that you should talk to the client about the design first. Same with the stylist career. I only played as a designer very briefly, so I don't personally know if there's a kind of "talk about design" option for that profession, but I would try looking for it before starting the job. I did a "talk about fashion" thing as a stylist and got good feedback for the makeover I did, so that might be what you need to do for the design profession as well.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 5:48 AM
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that shortly. I looked briefly but didn't see anything quickly so I just went ahead with the design but I'll definitely give it a more thorough look.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 6:06 AM
I put down a lot of clutter in the appropriate places, and that helps a lot. Making your Architect a painter/sculptor/inventor (or having someone in their household who is) and putting their work (preferably after they gain some skill points) in the new room helps too.

Click HERE please, so I can up the sweet sweet page count. Thanks!

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx
Field Researcher
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 6:19 AM
Regarding their 'camera', has anyone tried getting a different brand? All the pictures they take are so tiny lol
One thing that I do dislike about this, is that there's no warning (at least that I noticed) that their job day has started...my sim was quite angry when she was missing a few hours.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 6:46 AM
CeJaye, by clutter do you mean actual clutter? Objects other than the ones we are obligated to change/upgrade?

heartbreak, the camera is driving me nuts. I can't even take a picture of the room itself.. I'm lucky if I get a sliver of the correct door.
Eminence Grise
#7 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 9:36 AM
I've been playing a Designer tonight

If you have WA, you can use a better camera, and the Consignment store (randomly?) carries them. I was able to pick up the mid-range camera.

"Clutter" would be items from "misc decorations". And yes, that helps a lot.

Knowing your client's traits also helps. Take the "observant" lifetime reward ASAP. Of course, then you have to try to figure out how their traits relate to their tastes Hopefully there'll be a list of those soon, but some are obvious. I put a lot of paintings in an "Artistic" sim's house and she was very happy about it. One thing makes this hard, though -- if your client is at work when you take the job (which they obviously well might be), you're not gonna be able to converse with them to find out their traits. I recall there's a career perk at a higher level which is supposed to help with that, I hope it allows me to find out their traits on the phone :p

One thing clients definitely DON'T like is if you add walls and accidentally forget to retexture one side of em Though they don't seem to care if you forget to roof all the new rooms! not that I'd ever do that! *goes into Edit Town to fix the roofs*

There is some definite weirdness in this career... a Sim who appeared to be very poor, based on her house, asked me to make a baby room with a budget of 6k I had a hard time spending that much money, even after buying every kid object in the base game! Anyway, now she has a palatial nursery tacked onto her shack.
Test Subject
#8 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 11:28 AM
Yeh I'm having severe issues. When I build stuff it's taking it out of my Sims' money? And sometimes I put the things in the room and it doesn't even check them off. Anyone else having this?

Chumcha Sims
Home to the Adam Devereaux + Co. Legacy
Test Subject
#9 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 11:39 AM
It will take out of your family funds if you go over the set budget. I'm liking this profession a lot and haven't had any problems so far. Got to lvl 10 and you can earn quite a bit of money and create high relations with people very quickly. At lvl 5 (I think?) you can take measurements which improve the rating/reward and I think at lvl 8 or 9 you can use "discuss renovation" to discover their traits to help you decide how best to do the renovation.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 4:26 PM
I have had success when I add some extra decoration to the houses! One thing I don't like is where exactly are you supposed to put these new rooms half the time??
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 7:22 PM
Srikandi, thanks for the tips. I'll definitely pick up the observant trait ASAP. I'm really excited to play again today.. I want to get good at this. It's kind of nice to have a challenge for once, haha.

MaxCalifornia, just stay under budget. The budget is displayed on the window in the top left corner. I haven't had a problem with checking items off. What I was confused about is, for example, someone was requesting an easel when they already had one! I placed another one but I was definitely giving my computer a funny look :P

remizov, wow, you've done well. I'm glad there are things to make it a bit easier later on. I guess I'll just have to settle with mediocre reviews until then :P

goteampink, I have had trouble with the same thing. Or sometimes it'll ask me to redo a bathroom -- there are four, which one?!?
Eminence Grise
#12 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 7:34 PM
You can repurpose an existing room, or you can use build tools to add a new room on. Basically, though, as far as I can tell, the game doesn't know (for the purposes of this job) what's a room and what isn't and what's in the same room as what, heh. So you can put the new objects anywhere you want.

And you can delete the stuff they have too. So if they want an easel and they've got one, you can delete the old one and put in the new. The cost of stuff you delete gets added to your budget, so feel free to replace the tacky crap they have in their houses

One thing I'm noticing about this career... it REALLY makes you want stuff, lol. Lots and lots of stuff. Bet it spurs Store sales Time to put back all the CC I took out for installation!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 7:37 PM
Is that constantly shiny/glowing/annoying the crap out of me Store button a new feature or from WA? ARGH. I don't WANT to go to the store or I would have clicked the damn button stop glowing at meeeee!
Theorist
#14 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 8:18 PM
It was from a patch that was released quite a while ago, have you not been patching? I hadn't noticed that it was glowing now though 0.o

Hi I'm Paul!
Retired
retired moderator
#15 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 8:30 PM
You can turn the store button off in the settings.

Man, this career is going to be SO MUCH FUN. I wonder if I'll want stuff, or if I'll get really into constraining myself with the objects I have. I like working within weird constraints, I guess I like the challenge of seeing how creative I can be with the limited options I have.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 8:43 PM
Robodl95, I have had the game uninstalled for a while. Reformatted my computer and then wasn't interested in World Adventures so I never bothered reinstalling, just waited for Ambitions

Thanks, kiwi_tea, I'll definitely be doing that. And I agree it is fun and challenging. It'll be funny long term to see how houses evolve based on my decorating and redecorating :P
Forum Resident
#17 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 9:06 PM
I've been playing with the Architectural Designer profession (well, its the only one I've done so far), and I'm really liking it. Only issue I've had so far was when I was getting ready to click the button to present the finished renovation, the game crashed, but other than that no problems, my girl has 5 renovations done. Though, I'm not so sure I like the budgets she is getting. The game calls them small, but ยง3,000 seems to be a little too much for a small bathroom.
Eminence Grise
#18 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 3:49 AM
Hmm, wonder if I have a bug here, or if this is the randomizer just being random... I got the "same" job twice with two different people (studio for Amy Bull twice, book nook for Whastisname Wheloff twice). There was a slightly different list of required items each time, though. Anybody else see this?

And btw, one thing clients DON'T like is if any object blocks any other. It's apparently a good idea to avoid "moveobjects on" for this reason... they detect overlap
Forum Resident
#19 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 3:53 AM
I haven't had that happen yet, I've had different jobs for the same person, one woman had me give her a new powder room and a few days later she wanted a ladies den, but not the same job.

Awww, that sucks, moveobjects on lets you fit loads more in small spaces.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 3:56 AM
How do you know what room to remodel? All of them look to be well dressed as is, and when they ask for additions, there's not enough room on the lot.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 4:00 AM
It can be any room you want. You can really place the stuff anywhere you want, any thing you move or add the game reads as part of the renovation. So if you stuck a couch out in the backyard, and was only hired to do the bathroom, that couch would be part of the renovation.
Test Subject
#22 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 4:04 AM
God .. i don't know what I'm doing wrong , but that first job was to redesign someone's bathroom and he kept complaining he wouldn't live in such SQUALOR and i was like WTF? I totally redesigned the room with expensive stuff and even added some plants to make it look good and he still complains.
Instructor
#23 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 4:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heartbreak
How do you know what room to remodel?

The game does not have rooms, it cannot and will not understand what is a "bathroom" or what is a "bedroom".

The games does some type of room checks but its privacy checks as if any sim is on the same walled area.

Quote:
All of them look to be well dressed as is, and when they ask for additions, there's not enough room on the lot.

There is always room by going down, basements work wonders for the size challenged lots.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 4:41 AM
Wow good call on the basement. Never even thought of that.
I had to make a gym on the smallest lot. Couldn't even fit the treadmill in so I made a tiny deck and put it on there.
Homeowner didn't like that. But I think she has the hot headed trait (downloaded Sim).
Eminence Grise
#25 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 4:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MapDark
God .. i don't know what I'm doing wrong , but that first job was to redesign someone's bathroom and he kept complaining he wouldn't live in such SQUALOR and i was like WTF? I totally redesigned the room with expensive stuff and even added some plants to make it look good and he still complains.

Hmm, did you spend the whole budget?
Page 1 of 8