Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#126 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_

I can relate to the people who want weather. I want it as well, but I do believe we are getting it. Maybe it will be the last EP, because it will clog our computer memory and then they can start marketing TS4 as a smooth running game. Last EP, or second last, I still have faith we are getting weather. Unfortunately I don't have faith in OFB, my favourite EP will most likely not make a come-back.

My thoughts almost exactly except my favorite expansion is University, but I'm starting to think the closet thing we are getting to University in TS3 was the private schools in Generations (which really sucks).
Advertisement
Banned
#127 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:14 PM
Going back a bit, I have to disagree with this:
Quote:
I think the problem with EA is that they only look at the bottom line and invest just as much as they need to sell the product, ignoring the reputation of the franchise. In the case of The Sims 3, there is practically no competition, so they cut down the budget to a bare minimum and the devs are left in the dust, forced to make skeleton EPs that only just cover what you can put in a trailer and feature list and don't "waste" any time on padding that make the whole experience better without being a feature you can market.

The franchise has a great reputation! Except among the most vocal of minorities I've never really participated in the "Community" until just a few days ago, but from what I see, MTS has the most vocal people. Other sites see "Showtime! Yay! Magicians and Singers and Acrobats yay yay!" and respond "Yay!". MTS sees it and goes "This is the same thing as Late Night and I'm never buying another game by EA again." Then they buy it. But they still think that because they got mad, and 10 people clicked "Agree", that means the whole community agrees with them and the game won't sell 5 copies. It's a bit silly.

A bare minimum budget wouldn't allow for a lot of the stuff the game gets, either. You can bet your ass the radio would be nothing but made-in-house music if there wasn't a significant budget. There definitely wouldn't be a Katy Perry edition.

There's also no competition...but if there was, would anyone even go for it? The Sims is such a big name and such a big game that any competitors would fail without question, I think!
Banned
#128 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:16 PM
Also, as for Open For Business, you can kind of "emulate" the experience in Sims 3. Buy a community lot and then upgrade it every chance you get. The more expensive the lot is, the more money you make on it. So you can build an arcade or a store or whatever you want and you get the money for it, and pretend it's from people using the games and stuff. Of course, there's no grindy, mind-numbing badge-building and stuff-selling, but it's still okay. (I love the grindy stuff of OFB, btw! TBQH, ttyl fyi imo)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#129 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aGOLDENbox
My thoughts almost exactly except my favorite expansion is University, but I'm starting to think the closet thing we are getting to University in TS3 was the private schools in Generations (which really sucks).

The classes Sims take around town renders college somewhat useless, but the whole college experience, even in rabbit hole form, is something I wouldn't mind having back.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#130 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:29 PM
Quote:
The Sims has always been wacky, and would be completely boring if it wasn't. I hope the dev's don't make The Sims 4 as dull as you suggest. The Sims 4: Cubicle Workers doesn't sound remotely as fun as this EP.

Lol, The Sims 4: Cubicle Workers
Field Researcher
#131 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AdamantEve
Also, as for Open For Business, you can kind of "emulate" the experience in Sims 3. Buy a community lot and then upgrade it every chance you get. The more expensive the lot is, the more money you make on it. So you can build an arcade or a store or whatever you want and you get the money for it, and pretend it's from people using the games and stuff. Of course, there's no grindy, mind-numbing badge-building and stuff-selling, but it's still okay. (I love the grindy stuff of OFB, btw! TBQH, ttyl fyi imo)

If you think we can emulate Open For Business with what Sims 3 is now, then I don't think you understand what Open for Business experience is all about.
Mad Poster
#132 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:35 PM

I loved OFB but not because I could run businesses and earn money from them, but rather because I could set up businesses and venus that my sims could use and it helped to create a realistic thriving community. Having different shops and being able to take the sims to themed restaurants was the best thing about OFB.
Banned
#133 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:39 PM
Quote:
If you think we can emulate Open For Business with what Sims 3 is now, then I don't think you understand what Open for Business experience is all about.

That's why I said "kind of".

Quote:
loved OFB but not because I could run businesses and earn money from them, but rather because I could set up businesses and venus that my sims could use and it helped to create a realistic thriving community.

In that case, isn't SIms 3 real estate adequate? I guess I don't get what you mean. I'd love OFB for the grindy gameplay and stuff to spend money on, really. I don't think I ever took a family to a sim-made business that wasn't theirs, now that I think about it.
Test Subject
#134 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:49 PM
Whoa! I hope this is true!

Applejack <3
Field Researcher
#135 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:50 PM
In that case, isn't SIms 3 real estate adequate?

Not even close if you ask me.
Mad Poster
#136 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:55 PM
In that case, isn't SIms 3 real estate adequate? I guess I don't get what you mean. I'd love OFB for the grindy gameplay and stuff to spend money on, really. I don't think I ever took a family to a sim-made business that wasn't theirs, now that I think about it.

Lol, it's not a real estate issue. Grindy gameplay was Ok if you really wanted to make money that way, but taking sims to other sim's businesses to enjoy what they offered was the best part of OFB. You could buy a painting made by another sim, cakes, flowers, toys etc., and didn't have to skill your sim in every possible skill just so you could have those things. Like how in TS3, if you want perfect vegetables you pretty much need to grow them yourself.
Top Secret Researcher
#137 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by van Dorn
I don't mean to be rude, but it would be extremely helpful if people would stop filling this thread with complaints about this EP. It is exceedingly irritating having to sift through complaints in order to find information. That being said, here is something I found on this very topic: http://vidkid20ssimlair.blogspot.co...d-magic-ep.html

Sorry, but I do find this rude.
Instructor
#138 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
Sorry, but I do find this rude.

The suggestion or the wording? Because I agree that without separate "X EP discussion" and "X EP information" threads that this is a valid place to complain and whatever, but van Dorn's post was, as far as I can tell, just a suggestion. There was no bossing or condescension or anything I'd really find rude.

I promise I'm not as grumpy as my avatar looks.
Field Researcher
#139 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 9:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Like how in TS3, if you want perfect vegetables you pretty much need to grow them yourself.

Or snatch them from the neighbour.

Anyway, speaking of harvestables, I hope that with the poison apple we will actually be able to kill a sim, not just make them gassy or something.
Mad Poster
#140 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 9:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lexylu
Or snatch them from the neighbour.

Anyway, speaking of harvestables, I hope that with the poison apple we will actually be able to kill a sim, not just make them gassy or something.

lol, gassy :D
I hope for that too, that it kills Sims.

I wonder can we actually freely fly with our Sims if they are witches. That would be cool.
Banned
#141 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 9:28 PM
Quote:
Not even close if you ask me.

Good thing I wasn't asking you.

Quote:
You could buy a painting made by another sim, cakes, flowers, toys etc., and didn't have to skill your sim in every possible skill just so you could have those things. Like how in TS3, if you want perfect vegetables you pretty much need to grow them yourself.

Now I get what you mean. I thought you meant you liked being able to, in-game, build places and then go to them and bask in the stuff that one sim really earned, instead of placing it all down for free by editing the lot itself.
Field Researcher
#142 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 9:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
lol, gassy :D
I hope for that too, that it kills Sims.

There is some indication of 'poisoned' moodlet, so I'm thinking that it may work similar to the Mummy's Curse, fatal but with a timer maybe and some ways to cure it. I don't know... but better delayed demise than gas I suppose.

Good thing I wasn't asking you.

Well, this is an open discussion, so I think that you were kinda asking everybody.
Banned
#143 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 9:49 PM
When I quoted them and specifically responded to what they personally thought was good about OFB, I was definitely not asking anyone else. I think I would know whether or not I was asking everybody. Whatever.
Theorist
#144 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 9:58 PM
I've never really participated in the "Community" until just a few days ago, but from what I see, MTS has the most vocal people. Other sites see "Showtime! Yay! Magicians and Singers and Acrobats yay yay!" and respond "Yay!". MTS sees it and goes "This is the same thing as Late Night and I'm never buying another game by EA again." Then they buy it. But they still think that because they got mad, and 10 people clicked "Agree", that means the whole community agrees with them and the game won't sell 5 copies. It's a bit silly.

sigh... if you're referring to MTS as THE Community then go back to the Official Site and in the forums under SHOWTIME read all the posts about people being very unhappy with it and bashing it. No... MTS wasn't the first to say "This is the same as Late Night..." again, go to the official site under the Showtime forums it should be there unless EA has deleted it and left only the "GOOD" feeling posts so that they can show THE Community that this is such a "WONDERFUL" EP. If you do look it up dont' start at the top 10 pages, if EA hasn't deleted them, it's probably buried somewhere near the bottom. And I"m one of those who said.. damn.. it's Late Night 2.0.. I'm not buying it. I didn't and I won't. I passed on Pets, I passed on SHT now it looks like I'm passing on EP7 too.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Field Researcher
#145 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 10:00 PM
When I quoted them and specifically responded to what they personally thought was good about OFB, I was definitely not asking anyone else. I think I would know whether or not I was asking everybody. Whatever.

Yes, but this is an open forum and to me it means that everyone is welcome to join your discussion. If you want to have a private conversation you can PM somebody.
Retired
retired moderator
#146 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 10:12 PM
@ani_ - Was it SimGuruSarah (Sarah Holding) who did that Lunar Lakes video? I think that was a bit of a mess, but having talked with her on twitter a bit, I wouldn't judge her from that performance alone. She constantly surprises me.

@matrix54 - Portal fiction is such a huge and cute genre, I'm fairly certain we'll be travelling through the wardrobe. If not: Ugh.

Also, the code for the moon phases has been in world files forever. Unfortunately, the new moon system breaks custom moons - least it breaks Port Piston's. Someone who has Lunar Lakes should check.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Mad Poster
#147 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 10:20 PM
Now I get what you mean. I thought you meant you liked being able to, in-game, build places and then go to them and bask in the stuff that one sim really earned, instead of placing it all down for free by editing the lot itself.

Not really. I don't need to own an arcade, a community pool or a gym in order to use them so I have no interest in owning them. Similarly, in TS2, I had lots of shops and venues that functioned great as community locations without being owned by any particular sim. In TS3 however, if I have a painter sim with great skill who produces really nice paintings, I'd like to see those paintings in other sim's houses, not sell them to the inventory selling thing and then lose them forever. And then there are the details like having a flower shop with flower stands instead of a dropdown menu entry on the grocery store rabbit hole.
Banned
#148 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lexylu
Yes, but this is an open forum and to me it means that everyone is welcome to join your discussion. If you want to have a private conversation you can PM somebody.

They're welcome to, but they're definitely gonna look pretty stupid if I ask something personal and somebody else answers.

"Hey, FridaKhalo, what's your username refer to?"
"Well, I am sexy, and a girl, and 14, so that is why my username is SexyGirl14 "
"..."

Field Researcher
#149 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 11:03 PM
They're welcome to, but they're definitely gonna look pretty stupid if I ask something personal and somebody else answers.

"Hey, FridaKhalo, what's your username refer to?"
"Well, I am sexy, and a girl, and 14, so that is why my username is SexyGirl14 "
"..."

Say Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Did you just compare talking about nicknames to a converstaion about expansion pack opinions?

Well, you were right about one thing, someone is looking pretty stupid right about now...
Test Subject
#150 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 11:18 PM
Travelling through the wardrobe has to be a Sabrina reference, now where's my talking black cat former human witch dictator?

I hope that online gift giving is the only online crap addition in this ep then i might actually buy it, that is if i can just skip patch 1.31 which i don't have and get whatever number patch we'll be on for ep7 and avoid all connecting my game to the internet stuff. I also hope that witches and wizards etc don't over run my town like vampires, something just seems wrong with having vampires running around a town like sunset valley and it also seems like a place where magic and such would be out of place, i'm def one of those people who wishes we could filter what supernatural turns up where and the ability to turn certain lifestates off in the game would be great.

The sims vip site mentioned a zombie potion, sounds like voodoo, i like that idea, reminds me of all the pretty things that came with unleashed.

I kinda like the sound of this ep, after the rubbish that was (really irritating cos i couldn't ignore it with witches turning up on every community lot and usually infesting it with roaches) magic in ts2 apartment life i didn't think i'd want a magic ep again, i thought i was done with eps and patches cos there's no way i'm buying SHT.
Locked thread | Locked by: Srikandi Reason: Supernatural's out! Yay!
Page 6 of 105