Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#76 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 11:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by virgalibabe
People are asking for pre-teens? Have they lost their minds?! EA gives a bleeps bleep about toddlers, children and elders. Teens are somewhat neglected this time around as well. Now they want yet another age group who gets to be ignored?! Useless content that adds nothing to game-play. I would rather have them spend some time giving us more interactions. I don't know why they just don't rip-off all the numerous TS2 interactions and add them to the game already. TS3 is very poor when it comes to these. Please no useless pre-teens in my game for the love of plumbob!

Yeah, I'm not even really clear on what exactly is the difference between a pre-teen and a child? It seems to me that it's more an economic distinction that advertisers and marketers have created to distinguish between children whose parents give them money to buy crap and those who don't. The concept of a pre-teen as if it were an important stage in life is not really something I've seen of or heard anyone giving a shit about outside of 12-year old American girls and companies that make money off of them.

I agree that I fail to see the point in adding yet another pre-adult life stage when they are already so bereft of opportunities. I don't even have a clue as to what pre-teens do or are supposed to do that would differentiate them from children or teens.
Advertisement
Scholar
#77 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 12:47 PM
._________.
EA, just give us OFB inside it, pretty please? :3 With cherry on top..

Hey there! :)
Inventor
#78 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 6:49 PM
I think that OFB could compliment UNI or compliment a hobbies EP. It could swing either way. Either more career stuff with UNI or own your own business and sell those teddy bears you've been sewing together. AMB already added about 1/3 of the content that OFB requires, which is opening up the rest of the careers and allowing a sim to run a business from home. We already have self-employment (by means of selling paintings or collectibles) and a few careers that are opened, as well as servos (sort of), beauty salon items, robotics (inventing) skill (I seriously miss those various robots you could build, though), and a few tidbits here and there. Freetime has also been partially covered and spread out throughout many of Sims 3's EPs, so combining OFB and a hobbies EP could have a lot of benefits, especially for snagging in customers that might otherwise opt out. However, it could also easily be coupled with UNI because a lot of TS2UNI's content, other than the core of it (ie: attending university), has also been spread out through other EPs.

As for pre-teens, if they were going to add pre-teens they should have added them at the beginning of the game. However, I don't think that a pre-teen really brings a lot to the table because pre-teens are just Teens Lite, in my opinion. I mean, what can they add? Gushing over celebrities? Crushes? Well, I want crushes and unbalanced relationships, but they should add that to teens, not add in a whole other lifestage JUST for crushes. I remember being a pre-teen and it was just a mix between being a kid and being a teenager: you played around like a kid and everything was still fun but you were hitting puberty so you were starting to gain romantic interest in others at the same time as well as discovering the miracle of zits. Other than that, there was nothing really fancy that happened during my pre-teen years. I don't know what's so special about it to others, but in regards to a life-simulation game, I'm perfectly happy with my children and my teens.

However, if they really, really, really wanted to add them and it didn't cause the EP to be anything less than a content and gameplay EXPLOSION then I don't really mind. I just don't want to sacrifice gameplay and potential cool stuff just so that someone can play a twelve year old or something.

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Scholar
#79 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 7:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by haricots
._________.
EA, just give us OFB inside it, pretty please? :3 With cherry on top..

Had to disagree with you and here's why. I desperately want OFB, but if they stick it in University neither the college functions or the business functions will be done well.

In order for either theme to be done justice, they need to be separate.

(Plus, I'm still holding out for Island Time... )
Forum Resident
#80 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 7:38 PM
Pre-teens would have been a Generations thing, I think. But as an age-state they are useless and have no purpose in a Sims game.
In contrast, with this EP - finally we'll have a use for the YA stage of life, which we've had from the beginning this time instead of being given to us with Uni as before.

And as much as OFB style elements would be sooooo welcome, I'm also voting that they not put them into a University based EP. I want them both done RIGHT. Or at least be focused on exclusively at a time so that the details are more fulfilling. I do NOT want half-assed aspects of both EPs mashed together badly into one EP just so EA can say they listen to their fan base and look, they give us what we ask for! Nooo, thank you.
Top Secret Researcher
#81 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by QueenJimmyIV
As for pre-teens, if they were going to add pre-teens they should have added them at the beginning of the game.

This.

In order for them to add it now, they would need to change the IDs they are currently using for all the subsequent age-stages (teen and upward).

Considering the debacle that occurred when they slipped the Mycelium stage in ahead of Sprout for plant ages, I would prefer they do *not* do the same for sims.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Mad Poster
#82 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 9:10 PM
But, knowing EA . . .

Well, we all know how it goes from here.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Instructor
#83 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
But, knowing EA . . .

Well, we all know how it goes from here.

It would be too much work for them to actually do it. Unless they decide to paste a teen's face on a child's body so they don't have to make new animations. I really don't see it happening.

As for a return of OFB. It's too big of a project to just throw it in with University. If we want it done well we'll have to be patient. University will go great with a revamp of the horrible LN apartments. Since I expect them to add TS2 style dorms, it's a perfect excuse to fix the lamo LN apartments. I really, really wish they would have spent time on something else instead of forcing in apartments in that EP.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Field Researcher
#84 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 3:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Periandre
Had to disagree with you and here's why. I desperately want OFB, but if they stick it in University neither the college functions or the business functions will be done well.

In order for either theme to be done justice, they need to be separate.

(Plus, I'm still holding out for Island Time... )

Couldn't agree more! I'm one of those who don't understand why people want the both in one expansion...

19 - Female - Australia
Scholar
#85 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 9:41 AM

In order for either theme to be done justice, they need to be separate....

Yeah, true.. .___.

Quote: Originally posted by shaaaii
Couldn't agree more! I'm one of those who don't understand why people want the both in one expansion...

For me, I am desperately want OFB in Sims 3. And I have the feeling that University is the EP that'll wrap up TS3 series. So...yeah..

Hey there! :)
Field Researcher
#86 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 11:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by haricots
For me, I am desperately want OFB in Sims 3. And I have the feeling that University is the EP that'll wrap up TS3 series. So...yeah..

Don't quote me on it, but I'm sure I've read in a few places lately that they've said that they have plenty more in store for TS3. So I don't think uni would be the last ep.

19 - Female - Australia
Scholar
#87 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 1:26 PM
I think the last dog-and-pony show (the Maxis broadcast) was designed to re-assure that there's plenty of life left in the Sims 3.
Instructor
#88 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shaaaii
Don't quote me on it, but I'm sure I've read in a few places lately that they've said that they have plenty more in store for TS3. So I don't think uni would be the last ep.

To be honest, I have heard from Maxis a few times that they still have some ways to go with Sims 3 before wrapping up. No real timeline of course as to how much farther but that's normal in development.

When I hear "Sims 4" or "The last expansion" it's always been people on various forums basing it on the number of EPs and SPs that Sims 2 had or how many years they ran with the Sims 2. While they can be good indicators for people to look too there has been not a peep from Ea or Maxis suggesting either to back it up.

In the end, they will wrap it up when they wrap it up.
Field Researcher
#89 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 5:04 PM
I deleted the last topic. Sorry if you missed something there. So go on with your discussions here.
Scholar
#90 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 5:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mera Benzema
I deleted the last topic. Sorry if you missed something there. So go on with your discussions here.

Might have been best to have a mod lock it...
Instructor
#91 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 8:19 PM
I know I'm new around here, but I'm not really understanding the drama about the University teaser? It was an oblique reference to something they're working on, structured in a way to boost dialogue about the next upcoming EP, Seasons. Call EA whatever you want... they know how to make money, and that's what the teaser was about. Was the teaser an official announcement? No. Is University in development for release in early 2013? Probably. Is Seasons going to see boosted sales because they got people excited about the expansion the fans have been asking for since the game launched? Absolutely.

Also... Why would EA make a pre-teen life stage? It really only represents like 2 years of a young person's life, and honestly I'd prefer to have the devs focus their efforts on other projects. I don't think there's really that many people who want a pre-teen life stage anyway. If we're being honest about The Sims 3... the game is designed to be played in the Young Adult life stage, since that's what the vast majority of players fit into in their real lives (myself included).

Anyway. About University. I'm really excited for it. I kind of hope they don't make it a separate college town, although I'll be perfectly content if that's how it ends up. My personal college experience is undergrad at NYU in New York City and grad school at Harvard in Cambridge (more or less Boston for you geophobes). There's a lot of colleges and universities that are very much integrated into their neighborhoods, and it would be nice to play in that sort of setting with The Sims 3. I've never liked the gated community feeling that a lot of the game's neighborhoods have, and that was one of the biggest complaints I had about University in The Sims 2. The separate college town felt too detached from the rest of the world. Maybe just make a university a few lot types like "dorm", "lecture hall", "secret society house", etc. That way you could build a custom multi-lot university in your own neighborhood without having to shoe-horn in the rest of the citizens into revolving around the school.
Theorist
#92 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 8:48 PM
The reason Pre-Teens came about is because EA has already added it to the Sims Freeplay, too different genres but generally aiming at the same fanbase, but for another platform. And there is a huge amount of people who want pre-teens over at the official forums, and we already know that's EA's main focus of feedback because if it were here at ModTheSims World Adventures would have been a proper vacation, Ambitions would of been OFB, Late Night would have had everything Showtime has plus proper apartments and dating system, Pets is just fine as is but maybe a bit more interactions, and Supernatural would have probably had hybrids, and Generations would have been University. And Seasons would have a brand new mountain based town with as ski lodge. Oh and we would have had H&M stuff, IKEA stuff and Mansion & Gardening stuff 2.0 by now. (Diesel may seem to be the H&M 2.0 but ti doesn't live up.)
Scholar
#93 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TMBrandon
The reason Pre-Teens came about is because EA has already added it to the Sims Freeplay, too different genres but generally aiming at the same fanbase, but for another platform. And there is a huge amount of people who want pre-teens over at the official forums, and we already know that's EA's main focus of feedback because if it were here at ModTheSims World Adventures would have been a proper vacation, Ambitions would of been OFB, Late Night would have had everything Showtime has plus proper apartments and dating system, Pets is just fine as is but maybe a bit more interactions, and Supernatural would have probably had hybrids, and Generations would have been University. And Seasons would have a brand new mountain based town with as ski lodge. Oh and we would have had H&M stuff, IKEA stuff and Mansion & Gardening stuff 2.0 by now. (Diesel may seem to be the H&M 2.0 but ti doesn't live up.)

So, in other words if they read these forums, they'd remake Sims 2?
Theorist
#94 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 9:33 PM
So, in other words if they read these forums, they'd remake Sims 2?
\

Essentially, yes but of course there'd be that Sims 3 aspect added to it I guess.
Field Researcher
#95 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 9:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GabyBee
I know I'm new around here, but I'm not really understanding the drama about the University teaser? It was an oblique reference to something they're working on, structured in a way to boost dialogue about the next upcoming EP, Seasons. Call EA whatever you want... they know how to make money, and that's what the teaser was about. Was the teaser an official announcement? No. Is University in development for release in early 2013? Probably. Is Seasons going to see boosted sales because they got people excited about the expansion the fans have been asking for since the game launched? Absolutely.

Also... Why would EA make a pre-teen life stage? It really only represents like 2 years of a young person's life, and honestly I'd prefer to have the devs focus their efforts on other projects. I don't think there's really that many people who want a pre-teen life stage anyway. If we're being honest about The Sims 3... the game is designed to be played in the Young Adult life stage, since that's what the vast majority of players fit into in their real lives (myself included).

Anyway. About University. I'm really excited for it. I kind of hope they don't make it a separate college town, although I'll be perfectly content if that's how it ends up. My personal college experience is undergrad at NYU in New York City and grad school at Harvard in Cambridge (more or less Boston for you geophobes). There's a lot of colleges and universities that are very much integrated into their neighborhoods, and it would be nice to play in that sort of setting with The Sims 3. I've never liked the gated community feeling that a lot of the game's neighborhoods have, and that was one of the biggest complaints I had about University in The Sims 2. The separate college town felt too detached from the rest of the world. Maybe just make a university a few lot types like "dorm", "lecture hall", "secret society house", etc. That way you could build a custom multi-lot university in your own neighborhood without having to shoe-horn in the rest of the citizens into revolving around the school.

Personally I'd prefer that there is a university town, mainly because the only expansion pack with worlds you can visit is World Adventures. You can use NRaas Traveler mod to travel to other worlds you have installed, but you can't do anything special that you couldn't do in the home world.
Mad Poster
#96 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 2:06 AM
I am undecided on whether the university should be in-town or out of town, but I definitely vote 'nay' on pre-teens.

Snip:
Quote: Originally posted by GabyBee
I know I'm new around here

This made me wonder if hazing will be a feature in this EP. :D

(The evil side of my personality wanted to engage in hazing GabyBee; but the goody-two-shoes side insisted that hazing may be against MTS policy, and that it should cease and desist these urges.)

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Instructor
#97 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 9:40 AM
I really really think that pre-teens are unnecessary!

Fear is only in our minds ♡ Taking over all the time..❤
Top Secret Researcher
#98 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 12:49 PM
Getting back on topic, since as far as I know there's nothing actually out there at the moment suggesting that this expansion (or, indeed, any other TS3 expansion) will add a new life stage between children and teenagers:

Something that hasn't been discussed yet is the issue of how many different universities will be added this time around. TS2's University had three. Will the new one feature a single, larger university town map that all sims go to regardless of their home neighbourhood? Will they remake Sim State/La Fiesta Tech/Le Tour? And what about custom university worlds?

Worth thinking about, especially if custom maps are your specialty.
Scholar
#99 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 1:30 PM
If University is a sub-area like the WA worlds, I'd suspect we'll get three different university areas like in TS2. If that is the case, I'm pretty sure Twallan's Traveller mod could be edited/updated to take universities in to account and allow players to visit other places to be educated there (heck, even if it's not the case that uni is a sub-area we could still go to different places).

I'm not sure if they'd remake the TS2 universities, partly because the universities offered in TS2 mirrored the base game 'hoods available (Sim State = Pleasantview; La Fiesta Tech = Strangetown; Academie Le Tour = Veronaville) but we might see some similar ideas and, if we'd had custom WA areas in the store, I'd bet on custom university areas matching some EP/Store worlds.
Instructor
#100 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 7:58 PM
It's very probable that we'll get "connected university worlds"a la WA. Here are the reasons why:
A. There will be plenty of room in new worlds to add all the University facilities such as; several dorms, fraternities and sororities, student apartments etc.
B. They'll probably copy as much as possible from TS2

There are a few problems with this though:
A. According to the gurus there's no passage of time in WA worlds. I'm not sure if they'll fix this for the connected University worlds.
B. You can't play 2 or more separate households simultaneously like you could in TS2. So my guess is that once you send your offspring to Uni you're forced to play them all the way through.

Preferably I'll see us getting a new hood with the university facilities in place with plenty of room for us to add all the other crap from the other EPs. That way the students are free to roam around the open world and visit their parents easily (and vice versa) while it's still easy for us to change between households.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Page 4 of 95