Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#201 Old 9th Oct 2020 at 12:43 AM
Sorry to pull a, "It's Rewind Time" but I genuinely wanna go back on the topic of how the AI has been done in the franchise, and has anyone done a deep dive into the AI of the Sims 3? Genuinely bursting with curiosity here.

Oh c'mon. There better be a point to all this stress I'm under.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#202 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 7:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mirin Sagesato
I think ts1/2/3/4 are just different games, no one is better than another, they’re all good at different stuff.

Ts1 is more of an house building game.
Ts2 is a simulation game with storyline game elements.
Ts3 is a full on simulation game.
Ts4 is a phone app hastily turned into a game.

This thread is way too long and I don't have the time, but this I can say something about.

1. I have never played, but I have seen it. House building game? Really? I would never have tough. It reminds me of Minecraft, and I can still not understand why anyone would build a house out of squares with holes and bad textures.

2. I played a legacy style game and after 7 generations the game was completely busted. I was so distraught when that happened. As a rule I don't like outdated stuff, so I will probably hate it now. That is where I learned to build houses though. The Cast tool was an adventure for me. Building in cfe with TS3 wasn't so different.

3. Only simulation? It's by far the best building game in my opinion. The good thing with TS3 is that everything can be replaced quite easily. If you use crappy EA textures in a shot the result will be crappy. It's also very easy to replace light from EA's dated worlds with lighting mods. I also have to mention some of the store sets was really nice.

4. HAHA, here you show what you really like. It's a good building game and I like some blur, but it's a bit much. TS3 with a bit more blur would be the best. I miss Cast and cfe though, a lot. This is the game where EA has most control. I liked the freedom to f***up like we had in 3. The building with rooms we have in TS4 is very nice, but I don't have as many options unless I make my own things. The fact that they dropped the launcher from TS3 is also a good thing. It was a headache to work with. It was suppose to keep track of the content in lots, but didn't work as intended. It didn't even work with their own content. When I built my world Stranda I had lots of problems with the chicken coop having to be installed multiple times, and finally it dropped out forever after a moment of temporary memory loss.

Picture from CAW, My own WIP:

Screenshots
Field Researcher
#203 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
1. I have never played, but I have seen it. House building game? Really?

To some extent, yes. Part of the inspiration for the Sims was Will Wright reading about how people interact with architecture. As for the "low" quality of building, please remember technology has progressed a bit in the 20 years since the game was released (which makes me feel really old now). So yes, the original game is rather low resolution and rough now but it wasn't at the time.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#204 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 5:05 PM
House building game? Really? I would never have tough. It reminds me of Minecraft, and I can still not understand why anyone would build a house out of squares with holes and bad textures.
Yes, Will Wright's idea was a 'dollhouse game'. And Sims 1 was very like a dollhouse game in the beginning, there were no community lots in the basegame- but later the CC allowed for very elaborate building. I find that out of all of the Sims iterations, Sims 1 is the one that draws me in most- I get completely engrossed in it and the primitive graphics matter not at all.
Mad Poster
#205 Old 13th Oct 2020 at 4:58 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 14th Oct 2020 at 2:56 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Tacitala
To some extent, yes. Part of the inspiration for the Sims was Will Wright reading about how people interact with architecture. As for the "low" quality of building, please remember technology has progressed a bit in the 20 years since the game was released (which makes me feel really old now). So yes, the original game is rather low resolution and rough now but it wasn't at the time.

But that's original idea. It's a house building game with simulation it in. Doesn't just revolve around and building isn't the only thing in that game. Doubt it was marketed as the main omly premise (create, build, live - not just build). I'd say TS4 does that job but even that to a certain extent.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
dodgy builder
#206 Old 13th Oct 2020 at 6:40 PM
I realize TS1 is very old now, and for that reason I would never pick that game up. I started with TS2 and I would never reinstall that game either. I tried reinstalling Pharaoh for a bit of testing, but it crashed on the horrible camera movement. I hate old games.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#207 Old 13th Oct 2020 at 6:54 PM
I hate old games.
You realise Sims 3 is 11 years old now, right?...
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#209 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
EA also hated Will Wright's idea of his 'dollhouse' game that came after his own personal home burned down.  If EA never came around to Will Wright's idea,  The Sims would have never become a thing; never mind being around for 20 years even as questionable as the past 6 or so years has been.  EA killed 'Maxis Studio', so milking the sims franchise cow will continue.

I realize it isn't cool to pay Will Wright the props he deserves these days, but where the sims franchise came from and where it started does matter; to some us anyway.

https://www.berkeleyside.com/2011/1...r-iosing-a-home

It was actually Maxis that didn't like the initial concept when Will Wright presented it to them, when they were still an independent entity. They apparently thought it sounded ridiculous and said no one would buy such a game, and refused to develop it. Believe it or not, it was actually only after Maxis was bought out by EA that he was able to push the idea again. They loved it, whatever their reasons may have been at the time, and the rest is history. It's hard to fathom with how EA has run the series into the ground nowadays, but if WR hadn't attempted a second time with them, there might have never been an initial Sims game.

Your point still stands of course, just wanted to add clarification.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
dodgy builder
#210 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 12:54 AM
Nobody is trying to sell you TS1 or TS2. The push back is because of your attitude.  I hate new games and I certainly would never invest what is now almost ( if not over) $900.00 for the buggy, hot mess that is TS4.

The last game I bought was Stardew Valley when it first came out which was 2016.  I don't wear a pirate hat when it comes to games, I simply grew tired of developers and game companies acting as though the world owes them things.  I don't owe any of them anything; all of them can STFU.  Stardew was made by one person. If EA, Bethesda or any of the other so-called AAA game companies made it, I wouldn't have bought it.

We get it, you hate old games.  Nobody cares just as nobody cares that I won't buy new games.

It sounds like you are offended. I was just giving my opinion. You are free to ignore me you like. You know this thread would be much shorter if people didn't care.

I make content for games, films and architects in school. This is my last year. It is perfectly normal for me to be more interested in new things, otherwise this fast moving industry wouldn't be suited for me.

Quote: Originally posted by simsample
You realise Sims 3 is 11 years old now, right?...

Is it?!! O shit! I didn't know! Just kidding. I can make content for it, but playing I have to push myself to do when I playtest. Then I am a content maker, so perhaps that is natural. I don't play TS4 that much these days either. I play a bit when new content comes out.

When I play it's civ6 usually. There has been a hype for Among Us the last weeks. That is a 7 year old game on 2D in boring hallways. It was fun a short while, but it's too simple to play anymore than half'n hour. It's multiplayer game with 2 imposters and 8 crewmembers.
Mad Poster
#211 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 2:48 AM
Uo to three imposters and ten players to clarify. And while on the subject - I got this idea to incorperate its map and concept to sims 3 format and try it out. It can be a fun asylum type challenge with autonomous murdering mod throw in to make it fun

Mad Poster
#212 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 3:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thesims1depot
The thing that I find frustrating about these discussions is that no matter how much people talk and talk and talk, the entire issue boils down to this: the first version of the game you played will always be the best to you; anything that comes after will pale in comparison and signal the downturn of the series. It's like that tired debate we have here in the United States about which season of Saturday Night Live was the best and when it started to get worse. And every single time, the person will claim that the season when they first started watching it was the best. I guarantee you that if a Sims 5 comes out, the generation that was introduced to The Sims series via Sims 4 will be ranting and raving that Sims 5 is the downturn.

I mean, TS1 hardly is mention and by popular opinion TS2 is held Spectacular game out of all. So it's more of a second game than first. Aside that, people who give a REASON why they find TS2 enjoyable do so with strong and valid arguments. I beg to differ that it is only the NOSTALGIC factor playing.

Lab Assistant
#214 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 2:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Btw, I'm not sure if anyone here is old enough to remember or did they play it, but Chris Roberts did the same thing with Wing Commander. Most people take it for granted b/c they don't realize what it did. Back then there were limited 3D simulation games. What Chris Roberts did was using a common 3D space concept, but utilizing 2D sprites in various angles. This way it "looks" like a fully textured 3D game, but in fact, it was still 2D sprites. This is much similar to what TS1 did.

By doing so, they were able to create a fully textured 3D space combat simulation YEARS ahead of its rivals. It would be much later before X-Wing was created, a fully 3D space simulator with shading but no texture. It would be another year or so before Tie-Fighter came out and as far as I remember, the 1st true 3D fully textured space combat engine. WC series evolved into the 3D engine with WC3, and the 1st game ever to use live actors for the movie sequences.

Likewise Richard Garriott did he same thing in the Ultima series with Ultima 6, utilizing an angle view and various 2D sprites to give the illusion of a 3D world. Unfortunately, the pinnacle of Ultima series would end in Ultima 7, which is a graphical upgrade of U6, but still using 2D to imitate 3D. I think this is where they were bought by EA, which botched U8, the 1st Ultima to use a 3D engine.

Maxis too tried to push the hardware limitations of its time with Sims City 3000, which was supposed to have full 3D graphics and it was EA who scrapped that idea and returned the game to the same isometric engine Sim City 2000 had. And I have to admit it was probably for good. City simulation is hard enough on hardware as it is and the 3D graphics would only add to it and the hardware requirements for such a game would probably be too much, if it would even be possible at all.

Likewise, TS2 players playing style have moved on from a static TS1 playing style, which has no life cycles, etc... they would not go back.

Actually, I know for fact many Sims 1 players played Sims 2 with aging off, not being able to grasp the fact that their Sims can now change over time and even die of old age. Some were even mad at Maxis for not giving the option to turn aging off to the game options and instead forced people to use cheat. I suspect that's why Sims 3 finally added aging off as a game option.
Mad Poster
#215 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 5:55 PM Last edited by HarVee : 14th Oct 2020 at 6:10 PM.
1. I have never played, but I have seen it. House building game? Really? I would never have tough. It reminds me of Minecraft, and I can still not understand why anyone would build a house out of squares with holes and bad textures.

Yeah I don't get the appeal of minecraft either. It looks like childish building blocks with an 8-bit aesthetic. If I'm too old to play with Lego bricks then I'm certainly to old to play with 8-bit building blocks. I'm also living in 2020 so 8-bit aesthetic is a turn off.

It didn't even work with their own content. When I built my world Stranda I had lots of problems with the chicken coop having to be installed multiple times, and finally it dropped out forever after a moment of temporary memory loss.

I must be really lucky as I've never had any problems installing store content via launcher unless it was decrap. And that only happens if you don't have the right fixes installed. Non-decrap files always work fine for me, as do installing cc houses, lots, sims, and pretty much every type of content. The launcher has worked fine for me, though with the discovery of the S3PK Multi-Extracter, I only really use the launcher now for counters and worlds since those two can break if installed via pkg.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#217 Old 18th Oct 2020 at 3:52 PM Last edited by Jathom95 : 18th Oct 2020 at 9:59 PM.
Going back to the topic at hand, I think the problem with TS3 is that people often push their experiences with it in an objectionable light. It is a flawed game, not a bad game. There are much, much worse examples of terrible software and games that are just unquestionably bad. Yet, I still frequently see it in posts like this for example:

"TS1 - Great for the time.
TS2 - Best of the bunch, no question. Best quality content and interactions.
TS3 - Wouldn't know. Hated the BG and even with more packs it's just not my kind of game. Don't get why people like it so much and it lags.
TS4 - Lacking in some areas, but closer to TS2 than TS3. Sims are more expressive than TS3 as well."

That passive aggressive type of response makes it seem as if TS3 has rampant issues with things besides technical problems, as if there's nothing redeeming about the game at all. I can get behind it not being a person's particularly favorite iteration, or even liking it at all. But it's like some can't understand that plenty of people can like something despite those flaws, not because of them. Actual good points and features aside, I rarely see the above list with anything added like "...but I can see why others enjoy it". It's just strange to see TS3 just so swiftly swept under the rug oftentimes, despite being a natural progression of the series. It's basically the Oblivion of The Sims franchise.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#218 Old 18th Oct 2020 at 11:05 PM
I do not frequent any forums/discussions of the game other than this one. Sims 3 is my go to game. It has played well on every computer I have owned with no lag. To me it does not matter what others like most just as what I like most should not matter to anyone else. 3 is usually the most active section of this forum when I have checked.

IMO play what you/we want to play and that is it. Simple.
Mad Poster
#220 Old 19th Oct 2020 at 12:30 AM
I personally am over the whole this version is better than that version...blah,blah,blah argument.  Nobody cares! Everybody should just play whatever version of the game they like and be happy. ...

I totally agree and IMO this debate/discussion should have died years ago. Nobody is forced to play any version. We can play the one we like best and that should be all that matters. Play what you want to play.

Only times I have had issues in 3 I have been able to trace the problem and fix. And I maintain my game with Overwatch and Error Trap from Nraas, cache cleanup, and so on. And if any CC is a problem I nuke it. My game has played on 2 laptops and one desktop very well.
Lab Assistant
#222 Old 20th Oct 2020 at 12:14 AM Last edited by LittleCheshire : 20th Oct 2020 at 1:04 AM.
Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread, been battling mental illness. But I wanted to touch on this:

Much of what was removed from TS2 in TS3, such as the animation details / deeper relationships and genetics, were b/c the hardware limitation of the time to run an open world TS3.

I'm kind of on the fence about this...I mean, are you sure? The omission of deeper relationships and more complex genetics--the pet genetics outsold but that's not here right now--I can truly understand. Just imagining any 2009 based CPU trying to compute all that in a world with tens, maybe hundreds of sims, genuinely makes me shudder. It reminds me of when the official Sims Twitter posted a picture of the Sims 3 in game with an ungodly amount of sims crowded in a single area. Sure, it was probably a render, but it still gives me nightmarish images of a CPU bursting into flames.

But...animations? And to a very lesser extent, more, or better interactions? Would that really be so hard considering the devs were reusing animations from the Sims 2 left and right? You're saying they couldn't have done that some more, especially in the case of the sims teleporting into their cars? Or they couldn't have added an animation for getting on a broom or a bicycle? I'm pretty sure more simple animations on a global level would not do any harm, since we already have animations being used on a global level; sims do not sit stagnant in their houses all day, every day, after all. They do things and therefore perform animations.

Lab Assistant
#224 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 4:32 AM Last edited by LittleCheshire : 29th Oct 2020 at 8:30 AM.
Eh...I don't think I'll be convinced on this thing. I'm pretty sure the issue with the water taxis was routing, not anything to do with animations.

I love the Sims 3, I really do, but I won't say it's the best until I've played the Sims 2. After all, the only major, really important things the Sims 3 brought to the table were Open World, Create-A-Style, and Story Progression, which everyone knows is not the best and needs mods to fix. There are smaller things that it brought to the table, but I'm too tired to reach into the inside of my brain to pull them out.

But overall what I really mean is a phrase I remember seeing somewhere on the forms, the Sims 3 and the Sims 2 are a quality vs quantity issue. I would use the Sims 3 Pets, and Cats & Dogs as an example, but my tryst with Cats & Dogs was so long ago that I can't properly compare which animals feel the most like animals when given their full autonomy. But so far, I hear in the community that the Sims 4 is the best installment in the series in regards to autonomous behavior for the pets, and that the removal of pet playability was ultimately a good decision.

That's yet to be seen in my eyes, though.

Lab Assistant
#225 Old 30th Oct 2020 at 4:21 PM
Cats & Dogs were probably the worst EP for Sims 4. Not only they cut off the horses (and I've bet you they'll bring them back in some farmer EP or GP, mark my words on that), but they also cut off small pets that were there in animal EPs since Sims 1 Unleashed, only to bring them back in SP for EP and removed the biggest selling point of Sims 3 Pets, controllable pets. Do you still remember "be a pet, have a pet" from Sims 3 Pets trailers? And the skunk. Don't let me start about skunk. I loved skunks in Sims 1 and 2 and was really disappointed they removed them in 3. So, I was excited when I've heard they brought it back in 4, until I've found out it's just a bush that will spray you or your pet. Really Maxis? How much cheaper could you get? There were some good things in Cats & Dogs, like the Vet Clinic or possibility to create puppies and kitties in CAS, but the bad things far outweigh the good things and it's sad, because pets EPs were always amongst my most favourite, but not this time.
Page 9 of 12