Replies: 7 (Who?), Viewed: 185 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 8:42 PM Last edited by isisj12 : 22nd Jun 2021 at 9:02 PM.
Change Cloud Color?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YHr1eJmwsQea2Jp68
If you look directly at the clouds you can see that there is a blue-ish purple-ish color on the bottom of them and it gradually gets stronger. Is there any way to change that color so it will be white like the rest of the clouds?
I am not the creator of this lighting mod. It's the Blue Dream by Latoya.
Advertisement
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space- Bark!
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 9:36 PM
Yes, but this depends upon what time of the day you want the clouds like that, in which world you want this in, and for which 'weather' type you want it.
The cloud colour is not directly controlled, rather it is interpolated between two values- one determined by the position of the sun, the other by how close the clouds are to the horizon.
I could only get one of the files on the creator's website to download (for some reason (s)he has linked mediafire files by IP, and Mediafire doesn't like it); that was the one for the basegame files, for which she has just edited (some of) the basegame ini files and put them in a package. For the expansion packs, I assume she has edited the inis and the colour ramp files, so this is a little more complex.
It's not as simple as telling you what figures to change and where, I'd need to know more detail about what you are trying to achieve (in one world, in all worlds? What weathers and times of day?). What would be best, and probably most fun to do, would be for you to learn what those figures are doing. There's some discussion in this thread:
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=459198
It's not very organised, it's very spread out and not really a tutorial, but I don't know of anyone who has made an actual tutorial showing how to do this. There are lots of examples to download and look at in that thread, and you can try things out for yourself to see if you like the results.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 10:19 PM Last edited by isisj12 : 23rd Jun 2021 at 1:46 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
Yes, but this depends upon what time of the day you want the clouds like that, in which world you want this in, and for which 'weather' type you want it.
The cloud colour is not directly controlled, rather it is interpolated between two values- one determined by the position of the sun, the other by how close the clouds are to the horizon.
I could only get one of the files on the creator's website to download (for some reason (s)he has linked mediafire files by IP, and Mediafire doesn't like it); that was the one for the basegame files, for which she has just edited (some of) the basegame ini files and put them in a package. For the expansion packs, I assume she has edited the inis and the colour ramp files, so this is a little more complex.
It's not as simple as telling you what figures to change and where, I'd need to know more detail about what you are trying to achieve (in one world, in all worlds? What weathers and times of day?). What would be best, and probably most fun to do, would be for you to learn what those figures are doing. There's some discussion in this thread:
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=459198
It's not very organised, it's very spread out and not really a tutorial, but I don't know of anyone who has made an actual tutorial showing how to do this. There are lots of examples to download and look at in that thread, and you can try things out for yourself to see if you like the results.

Thanks for replying! I didn't download the lighting mod from the original website, which is a blog because for some reason the link didn't work for me. I got it here, https://modthesims.info/d/484971/th...ight-falls.html. The color only appears on the clouds during the day and seems to start in the morning, but it's tricky to pinpoint because I went into the game again and the color didn't appear until after 11:00am instead of after 9:00am. I figured this would be complex to begin with, but I'm willing to do anything because I am very picky when it comes to lighting mods and I can't seem to find the perfect one. So far, the Blue Dream is the only lighting mod that I like the most I just don't like the color on the clouds. It doesn't really matter to me what part of day I want it gone I just want it gone all together. I will check out your link. Btw, there are no IMG files. The colors seem to be controlled by codes - https://photos.app.goo.gl/nhjbq7DwiWJrSmCk7
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 11:52 PM
Oh, I didn't realise that mod was on here too! That's good.

The creator hasn't touched IMG files, the mod is overriding the .ini files which are text files. If you go to [game install location]\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Ini you will see the files for Sunset Valley (and unmodded Riverview, and any custom worlds that don't have custom lighting). What the creator has done is to copy those files, change them slightly and then bundle them in a package. But- not all of the basegame lighting files have been overridden, just some of them.

Now I've been able to have a look at the files, I can see what's been done. The lighting mod is an override of the basegame ini files, and to make it work in the EP worlds, the creator has uploaded copies of the world with the ini files and DDS colour ramps removed. So, if you use those worlds, they will behave exactly as any custom world- they will use the basegame lighting, or in this case, the overridden basegame lighting. Normally, the EP worlds and some of the store worlds have their own custom lighting- ini files and IMG DDS files, which would load after any mod and so therefore cause it not to work.

The weather pattern chosen is random but weighted by probability; so you would have to test each weather type to see which one it is you don't like. There's a mod to help with that (otherwise you either have to wait for them to change in-game, or fudge the files to make only one type show up).
https://modthesims.info/d/481816

Looking at a random ini from the mod and comparing it to the default basegame inis, you can see what has been edited (mod on the left, basegame on the right):

This is the developers' explanation of those figures:

This is just in the Sky_PartlyCloudy1.ini files; that controls the colours for the clouds for the Partly Cloudy weather type. There are overrides in that mod for Overcast and Clear too. So you'd need to open the mod package, extract the files from it and save them as text files, modify the contents to your liking and package them up to test in-game. A lot of fiddling, and very infuriating!
Screenshots

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jun 2021 at 4:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
Oh, I didn't realise that mod was on here too! That's good.

The creator hasn't touched IMG files, the mod is overriding the .ini files which are text files. If you go to [game install location]\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Ini you will see the files for Sunset Valley (and unmodded Riverview, and any custom worlds that don't have custom lighting). What the creator has done is to copy those files, change them slightly and then bundle them in a package. But- not all of the basegame lighting files have been overridden, just some of them.

Now I've been able to have a look at the files, I can see what's been done. The lighting mod is an override of the basegame ini files, and to make it work in the EP worlds, the creator has uploaded copies of the world with the ini files and DDS colour ramps removed. So, if you use those worlds, they will behave exactly as any custom world- they will use the basegame lighting, or in this case, the overridden basegame lighting. Normally, the EP worlds and some of the store worlds have their own custom lighting- ini files and IMG DDS files, which would load after any mod and so therefore cause it not to work.

The weather pattern chosen is random but weighted by probability; so you would have to test each weather type to see which one it is you don't like. There's a mod to help with that (otherwise you either have to wait for them to change in-game, or fudge the files to make only one type show up).
https://modthesims.info/d/481816

Looking at a random ini from the mod and comparing it to the default basegame inis, you can see what has been edited (mod on the left, basegame on the right):

This is the developers' explanation of those figures:

This is just in the Sky_PartlyCloudy1.ini files; that controls the colours for the clouds for the Partly Cloudy weather type. There are overrides in that mod for Overcast and Clear too. So you'd need to open the mod package, extract the files from it and save them as text files, modify the contents to your liking and package them up to test in-game. A lot of fiddling, and very infuriating!

Thanks for your help! I don't know when I will completely finish with this trial and error, but when I get some success I will update you on it. If you care to know and if you have the time. :D
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Jun 2021 at 9:21 PM
Yes, I'd be interested to see how you get on! When I made my custom worlds, I created custom sea and sky colours using colour ramps, which is a lot more intuitive I think than using RGB numbers (but still fiddly). It's only in the basegame that EA used numbers instead of the DDS ramps (although of course the game just reads the colours as a code from those DDS files, anyway). It's tricky to transfer the numbers from this mod into a DDS though.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Jun 2021 at 10:20 PM
I finally got the results I wanted! Honestly, I cheated because I had no idea what I was doing with the numbers. I tried tweaking the numbers, but still nothing. What I did was download Mediterranean Day lighting mod from Nilxis - https://nilxis.tumblr.com/post/9214...d-for-sa-pineda and used the Ini files that was provided. The files didn't have a name so I didn't know which ones were which, but I kind of had an idea when the reading said something about clouds similar to the reading on the pictures above. I used S3PE to copy and paste everything from those files into the "PartlyCloudy1" PartlyCloudy2" etc files.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pHzb3dHVwHnVywuZ6
retired moderator
#8 Old 24th Jun 2021 at 11:07 PM
Very cool! Well done, glad you got the results you wanted. Looks great!