Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 2:26 AM Last edited by SirDrake : 13th Jun 2010 at 2:42 AM.
Unimesh Bone Tool Crashes
Hello i am sorry to report this but i have days trying to make a mesh and finally got to the bone assignements with the help of Base1980 and Cocomama.

The thingy is that when i select certain vertex and then select Sims 2 Unimesh Bone Tools V4.09 Milkshape crashes so i cannot view the data , it does not crash with every vertex but with 50% of them.

Some vertex i managed to use Data Merger but others i have no way to use data merger , i need to see the other vertex values , no bone tools for me is a killer

I respect and admire WesHowe and i am sure i am doing something wrong ot that there is a workaround for this i won't lose hope.

I made a search and got the Mesa DLLs but crashes the same. I use Windows 7 , lastest gpu drivers (ATI 5970) and Milkshape 1.8.5

I really want to keep modding please any help is appreciate, and please excuse my english.

Tested a bit more it crashes when i select a vertex with a single bone assigned to 100%

Attached the file with the vertex selected , just have to open and select Sims 2 Unimesh Bone Tools V4.09 to produce the crash.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  bones2.rar (42.2 KB, 33 downloads) - View custom content

My Wings are broken....my hands bleed...
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 3:23 AM
Some people also get crashes when the Windows file dialog box box opens on import. In both cases, the graphics drivers crash when a MilkShape window (using OpenGL) has a regular Windows window opened on top of it... this has been reported for years now (since I first wrote the BoneTool, in 2006).

Sadly, ATI video cards have the poorest OpenGL drivers around (not that NVIDIA is perfect, just less defective). Try an older or different driver.

You can also assign the weights right in MilkShape, in the joints panel, but I personally don't use that (and thus cannot give good instructions) because I never got the hang of it. There are some sliders below the basic assignment for the additional weights.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 3:31 AM
Ty a lot WesHowe i will use the joint tab then for those 100% weighted bones and your magic tools for the other ones

Everything works as a charm i get no import crashes only the 100% weight thingy , but not big deal i hope lol

Ty for the help, the tip about the joint tab and for to make everything for fun And give my greetings to Lady moo :3

Alchemist
#4 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 4:09 AM
The partial assignments can be done in MilkShape also. That wasn't added until several versions after the BoneTool was already written. I haven't seen much about using that method here, probably because users were already using the BoneTool for a while by then. I tried it, and it works, but I also was used to the BoneTool.

One thing to look at that I remembered just now is that MilkShape does crash when the BoneTool is opened if there are more than 127 joints in the project. Sometimes people would import two meshes and get two skeletons, which would make this happen. I made some changes to the importer that made this happen less often, but you could check and make sure you don't have two skeletons. You don't actually have to count them, just scroll through and if you see another root joint in the middle, then that is what's wrong. If so, you can recover your work by just carefully deleting the additional set (backup early, backup often). While this solution is tedious, it is usually far less so that remaking a mesh is.

<* Wes *>

And Lady just said Moo to your sentiments

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Jun 2010 at 4:47 AM
Hehe , well i did import 2 meshes but "i got "default skeleton used" i "believe" lol that i only have 1 root , just made a check and i see only 1 root and no 2x names i believe . Only crashes on 100% assigned joints to 1 bone , when there is more than 1 bone weighted there is no problem

But no big deal , and i am still learning , indeed just started over lol

Ty a lot WesHowe