Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#176 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 4:00 AM
Okay, you misread my post. I KNOW the others are real and I was saying mental retardation was real too. Also. In addition to the ones you listed. So why not use that, if the idea's so great? Except that it's not. It's a bad idea, and it would be really, really, REALLY hard to make it so that it wouldn't be mistaken as offensive. You give people too much credit if you really think they would understand your motives. If you really think they wouldn't turn around and make this concept into an object of ridicule. The best intentions sometimes fall flat, and I seriously think that this is one of those things. Same as with religion, this is one instance where it would be for the best for EA to play it safe.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#177 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 4:29 AM
See, just posting about it is enough to offend people: somebody would be offended if it actually ended up in the game because it would be a point for ridicule, since everything in the Sims is about funny and ridicule, but actual disorders would not be considered funny ridicule but just plain serious ridicule.

EA won't touch that can of worms and they shouldn't either. The Sims make fun of themselves, that's part of the point. It's not about uplifting any of them or making them great in society, disordered and sick or not.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Lab Assistant
#178 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 5:02 AM
This would probably be hard to implement, but what about a cool or confident trait?

This sim would always be calm, collected, and under control. They would have a certain magnetism that draws sims to them. When fires occur, they calmly put them out. They succeed at 90% of the things they do. They lose a job, they're not bothered by it. When it's time for cool sims to die, they negotiate instead of begging for their life. I don't know if I'm describing it right, but I'd like to have a trait like that in the game.
Test Subject
#179 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 5:03 AM
Start making the Sims too real, with too many real life problems, and you'll have yourself a Second Life simulator instead of a game. Heck, I say that and I like SL, but these things have their places.

Yeah, you could add a variety of disabilities and turn it into a feel-good statement about inclusion, but add too many and I think it would be kinda depressing... The Sims is and has always been marketed as a "funny" game, and it should stay that way.

Anyway, with all these shallow people griping about "fat, ugly sims" (I say bravo to EA for recognizing genetic weight, because not all fat people are over eaters and slobs) how well do you really expect an expansion pack about "less than perfect" sims is gonna be with EA's main audience? Seriously...
Theorist
#180 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 5:53 AM
You ( LethalLaurie ) are the one who conjured up mental retardation and are trying to attach it to my list so that you can have a cause. Here is the sequence: I suggested OCD, ADD, paranoia, and psychosis. You try to add mental retardation, because it's "also a disorder." I respond to that hypothetically because I wanted to stay topic, and now you latch on and expect me to take up mental retardation as my own suggestion and responsibility? It is a bad idea, it's YOUR bad idea. But fuel for your method. What lives under a bridge? Apparently, you do and you like to fish.

So what if there are those who would make bad light of OCD, etc. We can attribute that to them being kids who don't know any better. OCD, ADD, paranoia... those disabilities are all related. Someone with OCD may very well also have ADD, and so forth. I take Bipolar medication even though I am not Bipolar. But it helps with my symptoms. Mental retardation is far out of that circle and so different that it can't be included in the list. It is a completely different animal and a very touchy subject in its own world with its own problem with humiliation. This is not the case with the disorders I mentioned. Google: OCD tolerance. Do you see an Obsessive Compulsive Tolerance Foundation to protect them from public abuse? Is there an ADD olympics? What public entity is going to bring EA to its knees over a few traits, Mothers Against Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors?

The topic is "What traits would you like to see?" Don't attach your ideas onto others so that you can object to your own creation, and support your opinion with specific examples of how representing these disabilities will offend the masses and result in outrage and riots. The only problem I see is the possibility of mean spirited mods. But even if a modder misrepresents disabilities it is well out of EA's hands, and the modder may take it down by request. Speaking of which, the fact that we have OMGWTFBBQ by Pescado shows much room for material.
Test Subject
#181 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 6:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
Google: OCD tolerance. Do you see an Obsessive Compulsive Tolerance Foundation to protect them from public abuse? Is there an ADD olympics? What public entity is going to bring EA to its knees over a few traits, Mothers Against Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors?

That's a good point. I was thinking a little while ago, when I first happened upon this thread, that the only reason traits like neurotic and insane made it into the game was because mental illness is still mostly okay to make fun of. I mean I do remember one PSA for mental illness a few years ago that highlighted how many friends people with mental illness tend to lose, but in general the most air time mental illness gets is in medication commercials... which really doesn't do much to enlighten the public. It's still a very taboo subject compared to a lot of other social issues such as racism, or mental retardation. For as prevalent as it actually is, it's not spoken about productively as much as it could or should be.

That said, I'm not offended by the neurotic and insane traits at all. Neurotic sims tend to illicit a sympathetic chuckle from me, actually, and if I ever made a self-sim it would be very appropriate. The insane trait is just a little too silly to take seriously though. Which is pretty much the point.

BTW: I thought all Sims had ADD?
Forum Resident
#182 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 11:52 AM
.... Whatever. This is going absolutely nowhere. I'm sticking by my opinion that realistic mental disorders--ANY mental disorders in the Sims is a bad idea. And you're probably going to stick to yours that it would actually benefit the game. And guess what? I didn't actually want mental retardation in the game, either (Lern 2 sarcasm plz). I think it would be just as bad as any of the others being added and I was just trying to make that point.
The ones we have now are safe because they're defanged. Their "symptoms" are more cartoony than anything else, and it should stay at that safe level.
I don't care if you think I'm a troll. I meant no harm. But hey, best intentions and all that.

And with that, I'm dropping the subject before I do become a troll.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#183 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 12:11 PM
Here is the sequence: I suggested OCD, ADD, paranoia, and psychosis.

OCD/Paranoia was rolled into Neurotic. This is why Neurotic sims have wants like "Do Repetitive Purposeless Action Multiple Times", and "Talk About Conspiracies". Insane sims may be suffering from some kind of psychosis, they do seem to do odd things. And *ALL* sims are ADD. Making a trait for this would simply be redundant. How would this trait distinguish a sim from, well, EVERY sim?

You try to add mental retardation, because it's "also a disorder." I respond to that hypothetically because I wanted to stay topic, and now you latch on and expect me to take up mental retardation as my own suggestion and responsibility?
This was originally part of the Stupid trait, that EA cut from the game. AwesomeMod revived it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Scholar
#184 Old 29th Sep 2010 at 7:46 PM
Oops, didn't see theis thread and uggested a little mild OCD like repetetive hand washing for Neurotic trait thread. I've never seen my sims repeat actions like that so I wasn't aware its in there.

Gourmet/Finicky Eater could be a trait - a sim that won't eat badly made food or leftovers. Only foods made well and that are freshly made. Also will only eat meals that require a 6 skill llevel or higher. They like to eat at the Bistro. However, will eat cereal, fruit, and birthday cake (so they don't starve while building up their cooking skill).

Animal Lover (if and when we get pets) - A sim who adopts every stray it sees and tries to convince every sim they meet to adopt a pet (perhaps one of their strays). This sim will have at least one of every pet possible and will never refuse to walk the dog, clean the litter, feed the dog/cat/fish. Will not have the desire to breed animals but rather care for the pets that are already around. There could be occupations for this trait -- vet, pet sitter and groomer, and professional dog walker.

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Theorist
#185 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 6:45 AM Last edited by Captain THPS4 : 1st Oct 2010 at 7:00 AM.
Soul Surfer - When/if they include surfing, sims with these traits build their surfing skill faster, are less likely to bail when doing tricks, and can name their boards instantly.

Avid Bird Watcher - If bird watching is brought back, sims with this trait have more fun bird watching and get a positive moodlet when they're in a room with bird pictures.

Gnome Collector - Gotta catch 'em all! Gnome collectors get an increasingly bigger positive moodlet with each gnome they have on their home lot and even more so if they're different types of gnomes. I wouldn't be surprised if EA includes this in one of the later EPs.

Cold-Spirited - Similar to the pyromaniac trait, except the sim freezes the object. There's two ways this trait could be included - through having sims become frozen a certain amount of times and survive, or if EA makes an expansion where sims can become superheroes you can make yourself a parody of Mr. Freeze complete with horrible ice-related puns. Maybe they can even have a special greet animation where they break the ice by literally breaking an ice cube in front of the other sim.

Agile - Another possible superpower trait, sims with this one can run faster than normal sims. When they run, they spread their arms out like an airplane and have blur lines behind them. If the water balloon/snowball fight and throw drink interactions are brought back, it would be nearly impossible to hit these sims.

Cowboy/Cowgirl - A bit of an out there suggestion, but maybe if sims have this trait they would act more rowdy and have a special lasso interaction that's similar to the woo interaction that party animals have. I'm not sure if this would be possible to do with TS3, but maybe they could rope in small objects like drinks instead of having to walk over to them. If the mechanical bull is brought back they would of course do a lot better than normal sims. This would be great for country-themed neighborhoods or if EA ever makes a Wild-West themed neighborhood.
Forum Resident
#186 Old 3rd Oct 2010 at 12:26 AM
Haven't read all the pages so not sure if anyone's mentioned it but I'd love to see a Foodie trait.

Foodies love to eat, not necessarily cook and they love to dine out (assuming we'll ever get real restaurants in the game). They could have wishes to "dine out x times" or "get x number of comped meals". They could even have a LTW of eating every recipe available in the game. Instead of talking about cooking, they can talk about food or their favorite restaurants.
Field Researcher
#187 Old 3rd Oct 2010 at 7:11 PM
I think there should be an insomniac trait. I know it's kind of similar to the "light-sleeper" trait, but with the insomniac trait they'd get an energy boost at night, and it would significantly drop around 3-4 am. They'd also be able to read/write books, paint, etc. faster than the average Sim, since they use less time to sleep and the lack of sleep gives them "inspiration"(there'd also be a 50/50 chance whether or not the result of whatever they're working on ends up being good or just ends up a bunch of nonsense), and they'd have a hard time holding on to actual jobs.
...Now that I think of it, having a Sim with both the "insane" trait and "light-sleeper" trait might simulate insomnia...
Mad Poster
#188 Old 4th Oct 2010 at 12:40 AM
Scared of the Dark Sim will easily be phased by any form of darkness. Cant be out too late at night. Will leave every light on in the house when sleeping, and hates walking into a room that is not well lit. Mood boost from being in a well lit environment, mood drop from darkness.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#189 Old 4th Oct 2010 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Scared of the Dark Sim will easily be phased by any form of darkness. Cant be out too late at night. Will leave every light on in the house when sleeping, and hates walking into a room that is not well lit. Mood boost from being in a well lit environment, mood drop from darkness.

It'd be interesting to combine that with the Evil trait! Unless it would conflict, since don't Evil Sims automatically like the dark? But if not, I can see such a character as one of those hilariously bumbling, ineffective villains! Especially if the Clumsy trait was thrown into the mix. Hehe--a clumsy, fraidy-cat cat burglar--hello, sitcom premise!
Mad Poster
#190 Old 4th Oct 2010 at 9:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54

The Coward trait has an 'afraid of the dark' component. My sim would be afraid just walking from the car to the house at night.
Page 8 of 8