Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#151 Old 12th May 2009 at 2:05 AM
I'm new to modding, and was was wondering how to turn a wall hanging (specifically the "Past Reflections Mirror" on its side.
Advertisement
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#152 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 11:22 PM
No matter what I, Leesester, or cmomoney do we can not seem to make my little windmill placeable on anything other than the ground. Anyone else have any ideas?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Phaenoh-LilGardenLatticeWindmill.rar (250.6 KB, 20 downloads) - View custom content
Banned
#153 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 9:51 PM
Can't you just extract something that would be placed on tables, delete the other BHAVs and add them with the extracted BHAVs for your normally not for tables package?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#154 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 8:48 AM
jon, no, not really. BHAVs control a lot more about an object than just where they're placed. If you pull out all the BHAVs from one file and substitute in others, what you'll end up with is a mess. If you really want to make an object from a table into an object that isn't from a table, you're much better off cloning an object which isn't from a table, then importing in the mesh/textures/etc over the top.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#155 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 5:58 PM
Phaenoh, I can't see any line like "Expression (My 0x0004 (allowed height flags) Set Flag flag# ..." in your Init BHAV. Without those lines, the "Allowed heigh flag" has a value of zero, which allows the object to be placed only on the ground. You should add several lines like the one above, each one setting a specific flag (end table, dining table, etc.)

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Banned
#156 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 4:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
jon, no, not really. BHAVs control a lot more about an object than just where they're placed. If you pull out all the BHAVs from one file and substitute in others, what you'll end up with is a mess. If you really want to make an object from a table into an object that isn't from a table, you're much better off cloning an object which isn't from a table, then importing in the mesh/textures/etc over the top.

This is what I'm trying to do, scale down and make the immobile chimes sculpture from the base game sit on tables and be used as a centerpiece. I've tried everything listed here the weight factor and everything. And I actually read through all pages. But I'm still unable to do this. And for some reason it keeps showing up as a two tile (with green in buy mode) instead of a one tile like I want it to be, and it will sit on the ground, but not on surfaces using this method. Now echo, your idea of cloning and replacing the textures and the GMDC didn't work either because I got the correct image of the chimes instead of the vase which I cloned it from, but it was all black in the blue preview screen in simPE, and yes I did import the texture in milkshape, and regroup.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#157 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 7:45 AM
Any object which has more that one tile can only be placed on the ground. If you just want the immobile chimes, then that shouldn't be too hard since it's not animated. Clone the vase of flowers (the one which can go on tables) and export the mesh as 3ds. (Don't export the whole gmdc, just the mesh). Save a copy of the texture images as well. Go to the cloned vase and import the mesh as a "replacement" for the vase. That should change the group names so they are the same as they were in the vase. Now use "Build DXT" to import the textures over the top of the vase ones and you should be done.

While it is possible to shrink a two tile object back down to one tile and change its placement flags, it's really very messy and easy to get wrong. Transferring meshes is much, much easier.
Banned
#158 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 6:16 PM Last edited by joninmobile : 12th Sep 2009 at 7:04 PM.
Well it finally worked! Thanks so very much Echo, I should point out, for those who would like to try this, that the repository method works fine when using your mesh replacement method as well.
Test Subject
#159 Old 1st Sep 2010 at 11:56 PM
Default please help
I hope this thread still gets answered. Is it possible to edit the likes of a laptop so that it sits on any surface or is it bound by the conventions of the game to only be able to sit on desks and dining tables.

I tried several times now to make the changes described in this thread as well as a similar one I found on here to do with the same thing but with a tv.

If its not possible then is there a work around?

thanks in advance.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#160 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 12:56 AM
It should be possible to change its placement, but I expect it would become unusable on other surfaces. Sims need to sit down on a chair relative to the laptop's container object, and only desks and dining tables provide chair slots in those locations.
Test Subject
#161 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 11:58 AM
Hi Echo,

Thanks for the reply, it makes sense to see it in writing. I suspected that it might have something to do with the container object / game conventions.

You don't happen to know if it would be possible to clone something like a vase and then make it look like a laptop. I known it sounds daft even typing it, but unless there is another kind of work around I am thinking it might be the next course of action to try.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#162 Old 3rd Sep 2010 at 1:42 AM
That would certainly look like a laptop on another surface, but it wouldn't actually work as a laptop (obviously!). If you only want it for pictures though, then that's fine.
Page 7 of 7