Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 10:57 AM Last edited by MissPat : 8th Mar 2021 at 11:16 AM.
Default TS3 Custom Degree Modding [Progress Journal]
Last year, while following loosely @MissyHissy amazing tutorial for creating custom careers (here), I managed to get a TS3 custom degree (“French Language Degree”) to show up in the game. I have multiple things to implement before a public release, the most important being looked into by expert script modder Chain Reaction who manages Nraas.

Elements to address:
1) creating an Aptitude Test system dedicated to custom degrees to avoid that sims taking the regular EA aptitude test max all 2400 points SUAT score limit and rack in all the scholarship money.
2) Not sure how to create a custom Academic Performance Object - even Twallan did not have one for his pioneering “Education” custom degree (here). Need to learn.
3) No idea how to generate custom textbooks for the custom degrees. This is something I have yet to explore, code-wise. Feeling a bit confused and lost on that point. Twallan's custom degree did not have textbooks.
4) Getting the custom degree to show up in all game languages is a bit trickier than with custom rabbithole careers. Need to put together a tutorial to share my process.

Reference to the original mod concept thread: https://www.nraas.net/community/dev...ssion/topic9039
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 1:44 PM
This is amazing! I don't know a lot about creating custom careers and degrees. But I have wanted to do something like this. Going to keep track of that page

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 1:45 PM
Default RE: "how to create a custom Academic Performance object"
The talented @zoe22 contributed that:

Quote:
Arsil's Mangaka active career uses custom interactions which increase performance.
I'm not sure if it's the actual mangaka drafting table object or if it's the interaction of going to the bookstore and getting the manga published that increases it.
But I'm pretty sure the uni objects will work in that way, as in the Run() method, they will increase performance there.

Link to Mangaka career for reference: https://modthesims.info/d/579441/ma...ive-career.html

Really great insight, off to looking into how to apply this performance increase method to custom degrees.
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#4 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 5:02 PM
Looking at the sketchbook for a reference, there is this bit of code:

Code:
   List<AcademicDegreeNames> list = new List<AcademicDegreeNames>();
            list.Add(AcademicDegreeNames.FineArts);
            BeginCommodityUpdatesAccountingForAcademicPerformance(list);

Which looks promising :P
There's also stuff in the ITUN which looks similar but I'm not sure it's for the same purpose:
Code:
<Change type="BeAtAcademicFineArtsLab" advertised="1000" locked="True" actual="1000" updateType="ContinuousFlow" timeDependsOn="False" updateEvenOnFailure="False" updateAboveAndBelowZero="Either" />      
This might be to do with encouraging sims who are on the lot to do the interaction? Rather than telling the code to increase academic performance, like how it works with motives.

The ambitions drafting table, on the other hand, does it like this:
Code:
 if (mOccupation != null)
            {
                float num = kXpGainPerMinuteOfResearch[MathUtils.Clamp(mOccupation.Level, 0, kXpGainPerMinuteOfResearch.Length - 1)];
                mOccupation.UpdateXp(loopData.mDeltaTime * num);
            }
Where it adds a bit of performance each animation loop so it's like a gradual increase as well. There may be a way to do the same with an academic career rather than occupation.

So here are some things hopefully someone can elaborate on!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 5:50 PM
I am hoarding uni skill objects ITUN files and had completely overlooked the sketchbook and the street art bag objects So far I have stuff for the Podium / Anatomy Skeleton / Brain Enhancing Machine / Business Planner / Mobile Radio Station / Whiteboard.

These code snippets will be really helpful to get things moving. Also helpful: the parallel with the drafting table that I had not made at this point.

Will implement and come back to report!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 3:49 AM
Default Custom Academic Textbooks
Quick note: "for the custom academic textbooks" question, I have discovered this week (thanks to a suggestion by @zoe22) that the legendary modder Arsil had managed to create a Custom Book Loader. The template package file is located in the CCLoader thread here: https://modthesims.info/showthread....802#post4675802

I noticed in the code he provided that technically I should be able to load custom academic textbooks in the game with his method. Will test and confirm whether or not it was successful. Fingers crossed.
Inventor
#7 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 3:52 PM
CCloader is a work of magic. That's something I can offer help/brainstorming with if you need it.

One thing I find interesting/strange about it is that it's never been formally released on MTS, so it can be confusing for folks to be directed to a forum post to download it.

Echo Weaver's Simblr: http://echoweaver.tumblr.com/
A portrait in stubbornness - Playing the same legacy since 2009
Sample a Brave Legacy: http://sims3sample.illation.net
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 7:43 PM
I will definitely reach out! My week-end plans involve learning how to get custom books out of CCLoader.

I am too confused as to how to tell folks to go and download CCLoader but I guess I'll look at instructions given by custom recipes modders who had recipe books attached to their mod? I think most simmers would be fine with basic instructions since those mods are pretty popular and got high download numbers.