Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2021 at 4:36 AM
Default Scenarios
Is anyone playing them? Seriously, I thought there would be more to them. I did a few of the challenges TSR used to do for Sims ages ago and they were fun to do. I chose the current holiday one. Rivals. I assumed there would be some rivalry, as to who maxed cooking skill, or something? There is nothing but change their relationship. Did I miss something?

UM, boring IMO. I went back to my other save and my sim got a llama. Far more interesting.

Silly me to have expected more.

Waiting for snow in Henley. My Sim invited Father Noel to ice skate. That was kind of fun to see.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 20th Dec 2021 at 8:00 AM Last edited by andes : 20th Dec 2021 at 8:37 AM.
Being unnecessary negative in the original post does not invite anything but negativity in the thread, but perhaps that was the intention and I'm misinterpreting the thread's question. If that turns out to be true, I'll stop reading and regard it as flaming.

I do not play the scenarios, I prefer my own set ups. I like the Making Money though, since it's an easy way of removing money from households without cheating etc, and therefore useful to challenges and the families I want to have, and keep, poor.

The rewards for doing the challenges seems nice also, but I will wait a while for any bug reports to show up, before I try them in my main save, that I care about.

Edit to add a link to one bug report: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...t/td-p/11050659
A stratetic tip is to click Me Too even if you have not experienced the bug - from what I've gathered, reading the bug forum for a year, etc, is that the Me Too count is very important for the bugs to get attention, and later be fixed. An official EA AHQ moderator have posted in the thread though, which I rarely see, so that's positive.
Scholar
#3 Old 20th Dec 2021 at 8:08 AM
They don't interest me because it forces me to create a New Household just to play them, even on an existing save.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 20th Dec 2021 at 9:24 PM
I haven't bothered so far. I don't rule it out in general, assuming there's a future one that strikes my fancy. So far it's a big 'eh' for me.
Scholar
#5 Old 20th Dec 2021 at 11:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by andes
Being unnecessary negative in the original post does not invite anything but negativity in the thread, but perhaps that was the intention and I'm misinterpreting the thread's question. If that turns out to be true, I'll stop reading and regard it as flaming.

Is it so bad for OP to share their own opinion? You don't have to agree, and that's fine, but they also don't have to agree with you and are free to express their opinion.

Besides, if you're so upset with negativity, you're going to have a bad time here, because MTS has become a place for venting over the years. This negativity is shunned elsewhere, and to have someone come here and try to police negativity here is eh. Just let people have opinions.

Anyway, I haven't played scenarios yet. I haven't really even played TS4 lately. I'm pretty neutral to the feature itself.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 12:53 AM Last edited by daisylee : 21st Dec 2021 at 3:08 AM.
Ignoring one post, I had at least expected something like the dating system where there are goals and you can see your progress. And as said, I also do not want to start a new household do something that is pretty much nothing. I was just wondering if I was missing something?
Field Researcher
#7 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 7:53 AM
This thread is turning out exactly what I thought it would be.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 11:36 AM
@andes If you go to a user's profile, you can click 'add to ignore list'. This means that you can see that they have posted, but you don't have to read it. That way, others can post what they like and you don't have to be upset about it.
Scholar
#9 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 2:05 PM
bassoon: if you don't play the game how is your post helping out the OP? Perhaps your reason for posting in this thread is not to discuss scenarios - but you too, to jump at every attempt to have a fight? If someone's post upset you - take the advice to ignore them, don't answer and create a situation, like you did.

I came into this topic to read what people had to say about Scenarios, since I haven't had a chance to try them yet. However, I come in to find you attacking someone for posting their opinion. Not merely arguing that you disagree, but arguing that the very fact that they even posted their opinion is wrong.

You state that you're polite. but what you did isn't polite. Telling other people to shut up because they disagree with you is rude, and is picking a fight. This same toxic positivity pervades so many other The Sims community spaces, and people are frustrated. Many regularly posting members here feel that frustration. You coming and trying that here won't be taken kindly to.

You know, you could have just posted a positive opinion on Scenarios and I wouldn't have had a reason to respond at all. I would have just read it along with other opinions and moved on. But now we don't have many opinions in this topic, because our discussion is instead centered around your attempt to silence opinions.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 2:36 PM
simsample: the same advice ought to be given to other members on this site.

Yes indeed, and I often do remind others about this too.
I did not say that you should not post here. Do whatever you like, I don't give a toss. However, I have noticed that you often have a problem with what others post and reply to them in a snarky or defensive way, or tell them what to do. This is not good for anybody here; so perhaps it would be better for you if you either put people on ignore, or avoided these threads altogether.
As you have not already put people who annoy you on ignore, I thought that perhaps you did not know of that feature's existence.

For the original post; could someone please explain to me what scenarios are? I have not had chance to play Sims 4 for a while, is this a feature that comes with an addon or is it basegame?
Field Researcher
#11 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 3:32 PM
I appreciate this thread immensely, since I haven't yet been able to try out the scenarios (because of reasons) and your posts tell me that I should not bother with them and just make up my own scenarios, I will get more out of it.
I also like the so called negativity, because it's more honest and is the whole reason why I'm still on this forum. I appreciate to know the flaws. I appreciate to know the bugs. I appreciate to know what's broken.

Thank you.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 5:04 PM
Thank you @Gargoyle Cat I think that must be similar to the time limited things they did before, sugar skulls and such. I might just boot up Sims 4 to see, haven't loaded it for a long time!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 5:33 PM
Well, we have another dumpster fire here thanks to one person, who needs to put darn near the whole site on ignore. I posted to discuss the scenarios and not be lectured by someone who has been here for months. I have been here for 16 years and many others have been here for a very long time.

Simsample, let us know what you think of the scenarios. I will be curious to hear your thoughts.
Smeg Head
#14 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 7:47 PM
Oh dear, oh dear, the crusader's been through these parts I see.

Scenarios are the Maxis version of the time-honored Challenges players have been coming up with for all iterations. Personally I've never really tried Challenges, as with past iterations I've always found plenty in the game play to keep me busy. Perhaps no coincidence that TS4 gets official Challenges introduced as Scenarios, to help extend on the not so comparably brilliant gameplay of past iterations, as they drag out TS4 longer than any other iteration. But I can see the appeal for those looking for something different, out of the ordinary, new avenues in the game. And to have the devs get onboard with that, such that the game itself helps keep track, keep tabs, keeping score as you proceed with your Challenge/Scenario, sounds good on paper. Probably good in game as well, if done right. No more need to keep the writing pad and pen beside the keyboard to jot down your Challenge progress, the game does it for you. I can see the appeal.

But the Scenarios so far are limited, Rags to Riches, Finding Romance After A Breakup. Not really enticing for me. They're too close to normal gameplay, that I could enjoy better without all the extra messages and popups from the game while keeping tabs of the Scenario progress. (At least I Imagine that's what it would unfold like.) And as others have pointed out, don't really want to start new households just for that. Waiting to see if Maxis give us their version of the 100 Baby Challenge. Or would that be too far for them? The 100 Bar Fights is a definite no-no, I guess.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 8:08 PM
100 bar fights! LOL I remember for a while in 2 there were nonstop brawls.
I actually like challenges if done well. My 3 family of over 30 generations started very loosely as a legacy one. I loved playing the tombs in WA and did all. I liked playing Strangerville in 4.

It just seems to me so far that these scenarios are so empty.
Smeg Head
#16 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 8:17 PM
TS2 was brilliant for that. The brawls that broke out. Two sims going at it in a restaurant my sim had taken a date to. Had to move tables to outside patio to avoid the kerfuffle. Then the same two bozos came and started fighting again by the table. I was in tears of laughter. Like you get musicians that come to your table to entertain, my dating sims kept getting brawlers. Those were the days the devs knew to have fun with the game.

The greatest, hardest, impossible TS4 Challenge/Scenario ever... Play TS4 like it's TS2.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 8:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
It is the Susan Wainwright situation all over again only with different context. *rubs temples*

LOL I just got a request to join a FB group I am a moderator in........... from Susan Wainwright! I asked if that is her real name or if she uses the Sims character?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 9:23 PM
The scenarios had potential, but the developers of the game were not creative enough. I would be OK with scenarios if they copied them from TS2 (I know that is a bit lazy, but the developers could add new scenarios with the ones from TS2). These are well done because they have a replay value. For example, if the outing between friends in TS2 goes well enough, those friends of your playable character can give you an expensive gift. What an easy way to make money! I learned that from this youtuber. They usually post videos about details in TS2 or TS3.
Theorist
#19 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 9:25 PM
Even if I liked the scenarios....I really, really, REALLY, hate time-restricted content in video games. I want to play what I want to play on my time, not when the developers "allow" me to play something.

It's particularly weird in a game like Sims 4 which isn't an online game. Why force a time table on the players telling them when they are allowed to play the scenarios? Why remove a scenario after two weeks? (it's not like Sims 4 has too much content or anything...)
Of course the cynic in my suspects they are prepping for an online Sims 5 with this...Ugh!

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
Even if I liked the scenarios....I really, really, REALLY, hate time-restricted content in video games.

I am the same. I read a trick somewhere how to play them after gone. If wanted I can try to find that.

I have the same issue with game apps. I do not have wifi for my mini ipad at this location so cannot play pretty much all the limited time things.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 9:45 PM
TwistedMexi, our modLord and saviour, has a mod that enables all scenarios. It's on his patreon, for free.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 10:02 PM
The scenario is not really bad, at least if the player is absolutely a newbie, the scenario can help the player get a feel for the game.
Just my opinion, uh...

Taiwan Soul!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yaohui
The scenario is not really bad, at least if the player is absolutely a newbie, the scenario can help the player get a feel for the game.
Just my opinion, uh...

That makes some sense. I am not the target audience, as really am not for this whole 4 version.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#24 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 10:27 PM
I dusted off my Sims 4, updated it and tried the 'Surviving the Holidays' scenario. I made two random sims but made sure they had some conflicting traits, then put them in a house, invited the neighbours in and went to make a cup of tea. When I came back, the female had caught herself on fire cooking eggs, and the male was extinguishing her. There was also fruitcale everywhere! They didn't like each other much but kept following each other around and sitting next to each other to chat, so their relationships were improving with no help from me. On the second morning, I got a pop up that the challenge was complete as they had no negative feelings to each other, so that was good I suppose, but pretty easy! This was always my problem with Sims 4- it seems like I am the spectator, not the omnipotent controller. Most of the time I just sit and watch my plumbob light change colours as they walk past objects that change their mood. However, I think these challenges would be great for if you like mini-games, and also really great for giving inspiration for play ideas. I also quite liked my random sims, so a fun way of getting new sims into the world if you don't often do that. I tend to play Sims 4 as a casual game, I just play once in a while to try out new features and have fun for a bit, but I've not managed to get into a long game where I remodel the neighbourhood or have several generations. So for players like me these scenarios are a fun idea to try, and after all they made me boot up the game for the first time in over six months!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 22nd Dec 2021 at 1:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
So for players like me these scenarios are a fun idea to try, and after all they made me boot up the game for the first time in over six months!

Good review, and LOL I made you load up the game again. :D
Page 1 of 2