Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 6:52 PM
Now that I think about it, one thing that really does bother me is how TVs that aren't flat-screens are attached to a surface, just like TS2. That was one thing TS4 got right.

Does anyone know of any standalone edits of the EA TVs? I know there's one here on MTS for the Hi-Fi Plasmodo.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 8:18 PM Last edited by aisquared : 15th Jun 2021 at 8:32 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
Does anyone know of any standalone edits of the EA TVs? I know there's one here on MTS for the Hi-Fi Plasmodo.

Here's the Channel Trowler Deluxe separated.
Also the UberVision Panoramic here, and here.

Looking for something converted to TS3? Visit Xto3 Conversions Finds for all your xto3 needs.
Main simblr: aisquaredchoco ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My downloaded cc: ts3ccreblogsbyaisquared
Buy-build defaults database
Forum Resident
#28 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aisquared
Here's the Channel Trowler Deluxe separated.
Also the UberVision Panoramic here, and here.

Thank you! To think I've been looking for those for years and they've been there the whole time for quite a while now. Granted, it's not exactly easy to find nearly anything on TSR.

Forum Resident
#30 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 5:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
That's so true. There were several basegame clothings that I blocked using CASP editor b/c I hate old outdated granny looking clothes. However, later I restored most of them after realizing using CASt you can completely change them to a modern style or whatever you like. It was just the presets the EA team created that looked moldy and outdated.

That's why anytime I hear from TS3 detractors that CASt was just a "color-picker that people barely used anyway", I'm like "nah, you just weren't using it correctly."

Like, how in the hell could anybody say that going back to EA-defined presets is somehow better than being able to texture swap on the fly and literally customize everything the way you want? Blows my mind.

Forum Resident
#31 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 2:55 PM
I don't think it's a matter of people not knowing how to use it (how would that even be possible, a 5-year old could use it).

I think a) CASt, even with the best textures, can only take you so far with certain meshes that aren't going to give you much variability because of how the mesh is styled, and b) loading the textures/patterns can become tedious when doing so for each piece or channel that people give up. I also think unless you hunt for really nice textures, not just patterns, even with CASt, you will still get that sort of vinyl-coated look that Sims 3 can have. I've actually dumped out all my CC patterns and focused on keeping a few high-quality ones that give my clothes and objects more depth and texture.
Forum Resident
#32 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 5:21 PM
^ Honestly, I think the biggest "problem" with CASt for a lot of people is the concept of getting overwhelmed from "too many choices". I've seen many people say, especially those that like TS4, that even if CASt ran flawlessly for them, some people can spend hours tweaking everything to their liking.

I love that personally. I love that I can apply any pattern and color choice that I want, and I'm not even a strict builder type of player. But as crazy as it sounds, some people just want that simplicity because then they can just pick something and be done with it.

Top Secret Researcher
#33 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 5:33 PM
It takes a lot (I mean loooooot) of patience, not just with waiting for the patterns to load, to get the most out of CASt. When I could not find a good cc hedge to use on my lot, I looked for everything in my game to see if there's something I could CASt to make it look like a hedge. I never used the tomb objects in World Adventures on my builds, but then this tomb block thing caught my eye. Tried applying the grassy pattern that came with ITF/patch 1.63, and the result came good. Then combined with the base game bush for a more natural look..

CASt is good, CASt don't bite...

Looking for something converted to TS3? Visit Xto3 Conversions Finds for all your xto3 needs.
Main simblr: aisquaredchoco ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My downloaded cc: ts3ccreblogsbyaisquared
Buy-build defaults database
Inventor
#35 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 9:36 PM
Create-A-Style doesn't lag 98% of the time on PC, so I'm thoroughly enjoying it for the first time and doing a lot of experimenting. The most interesting categories are masonry and stone. Some of the textures in that category can be used with a basic flat wall to create some really cool wall textures. But I feel like there's so much more to explore to take full advantage of CASt.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 11:17 PM
I have used CASt up to the rafters since the game came out. Love it! One of the most frustrating things in 4 is the lack of it. I get very irritated when building in 4. Very.
Forum Resident
#37 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by olomaya
I don't think it's a matter of people not knowing how to use it (how would that even be possible, a 5-year old could use it).

I think a) CASt, even with the best textures, can only take you so far with certain meshes that aren't going to give you much variability because of how the mesh is styled, and b) loading the textures/patterns can become tedious when doing so for each piece or channel that people give up. I also think unless you hunt for really nice textures, not just patterns, even with CASt, you will still get that sort of vinyl-coated look that Sims 3 can have. I've actually dumped out all my CC patterns and focused on keeping a few high-quality ones that give my clothes and objects more depth and texture.

I'm pretty sure some do not know how to use CASt and/or do not even know most, if not all, the features. Even after many hours and many years, I may learn something new.

A) It is common sense to use a mesh/object that closely resembles what look you are going after. For example: Why would anyone choose something country-themed and try to make it look modern? There are enough of varying objects with different themes. And with all EP's/SP's/Store Content there are a lot of options. And for those who prefer free stuff have CC...though it may make the game run poorly depending on some factors.

B) CASt has not ever given me an issue and I spend hours in CAS sometimes. However, when I want to primarily play around in CAS then I use one of my no mod or no gameplay altering mods save file. Because then the game isn't bogged down with extra stuff and loads up pretty fast to me. Though I have a SSD now but even before with a HDD I did not have any issues with the loading speed. Except if I had too many patterns installed and/or saved presets. And of course without NRass MC/Integration to show in compact form for clothing and accessories displayed in the main catalogue would take time depending on how many EP's/SP's/Store Content/CC installed since by game design every thumbnail and its presets gets loaded in.

I think the shine on some clothes is called the specular which with a mod can easily be removed on most, if not all, clothing and accessories. I use this mod in my modded game and it is great for individual pieces because sometimes that specular layer is welcomed.
https://modthesims.info/d/478307/re...01-16-2014.html

Sometimes just for fun, I will take a break from my main game and switch folders so I have the best performance when in CAS using CASt a lot since it is one of my favorite aspects of TS3 besides LIVE mode.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Forum Resident
#38 Old 17th Jun 2021 at 5:31 AM
It's true. I literally had no idea until two years ago that the drag preset function was there. I was used to dragging them one by one, which for furniture was a particular brand of awful.

So yeah, I can definitely stand behind the statement that CASt, unsurprisingly, just needs playing around with and you can get the hang of it in no time.

Lab Assistant
#39 Old 17th Jun 2021 at 6:00 AM
Store Item clothing. If it's the only one in it's category, the game usually defaults to it, forgetting that other EAxis clothing exists. Like the teen males for example, their *only* clothing would be the 'Everyday Turtleneck' outfit. Be it everyday, formal, gym or outerwear, the game would always default to it.

I can't seem to remove it, and it's just too horrible. Apologies to some to you here but in my frustration, I added a striped blue-and-white pattern to it just because.
Forum Resident
#40 Old 17th Jun 2021 at 8:56 AM
I absolutely agree with whoever said earlier that the colours used in decorating some sims 3 houses are appalling. Usually they're EA homes, all decorated in an ugly tan or mustard, or vomit pea green or baby poo brown. They are hideous. Just hideous.
I love CaSt, and I also have begun using a lot of EA clothing that I couldn't use before due to the ridiculous "pleather" shine on nearly everything. Velocitygrass's Remove stencils/overlays mod is the best thing I've ever put into my game. So many articles of clothing suddenly became useable by just being able to enter a code to remove that shine, and ugly EA stencils.

Quote: Originally posted by aisquared
It takes a lot (I mean loooooot) of patience, not just with waiting for the patterns to load, to get the most out of CASt. When I could not find a good cc hedge to use on my lot, I looked for everything in my game to see if there's something I could CASt to make it look like a hedge. I never used the tomb objects in World Adventures on my builds, but then this tomb block thing caught my eye. Tried applying the grassy pattern that came with ITF/patch 1.63, and the result came good. Then combined with the base game bush for a more natural look..

[pic snip]
CASt is good, CASt don't bite...

Wow it never crossed my mind to use those blocks that way, that looks fantastic!

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Forum Resident
#41 Old 17th Jun 2021 at 2:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
Create-A-Style doesn't lag 98% of the time on PC, so I'm thoroughly enjoying it for the first time and doing a lot of experimenting. The most interesting categories are masonry and stone. Some of the textures in that category can be used with a basic flat wall to create some really cool wall textures. But I feel like there's so much more to explore to take full advantage of CASt.

Yeah, I learned early on that these are the most versatile ones because they have actual "texture" to them, not just for objects but even for some clothes. I often use the metallic patterns to create nice denim textures to give my tops a chambray look.

On the topic of "knowing" how to use CASt, I don't think it's a matter of knowing but whether you are willing to put in the time and effort to play around with the possibilities. I think had EA invested in adding more and variable textures and not just what are essentially prints, they really could have better showcased its potential. Most of the cc patterns I find tend to just be wallpaper which leads me to believe that most Simmers probably just employ the color wheel, which is fine but I think had EA added more interesting textures (especially better cloth/fabric ones), that wouldn't be the case. And then in TS4, they didn't even bother with that (though it seems like they are hinting they may bring it back).
Forum Resident
#42 Old 17th Jun 2021 at 3:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by olomaya
Yeah, I learned early on that these are the most versatile ones because they have actual "texture" to them, not just for objects but even for some clothes. I often use the metallic patterns to create nice denim textures to give my tops a chambray look.

On the topic of "knowing" how to use CASt, I don't think it's a matter of knowing but whether you are willing to put in the time and effort to play around with the possibilities. I think had EA invested in adding more and variable textures and not just what are essentially prints, they really could have better showcased its potential. Most of the cc patterns I find tend to just be wallpaper which leads me to believe that most Simmers probably just employ the color wheel, which is fine but I think had EA added more interesting textures (especially better cloth/fabric ones), that wouldn't be the case. And then in TS4, they didn't even bother with that (though it seems like they are hinting they may bring it back).

I can't say what they'll end up doing in the future, but with EA's history - CASt as a concept is probably never going to be the same in a future Sims game. If anything, the color wheel would probably be the only "return" of it.

It's just the reality of the situation. It's why we'll probably never see an open world Sims game on the level of TS3 again. There's too many variables for them to get right. Size isn't really an issue nowadays, but texture swapping on the fly means every object has to be mapped in such a way to allow for editing separate channels. Not only that, but with the way EA has been going with not allowing anything truly custom, there's no guarantee you'd be able to use anything but the patterns they'd provide if CASt did return.

The Sims team that made TS3 is not the same team now. The Sims, if anything, is moving away from "play how you want" to "play how we say". And if that's the case, fine. Perfectly content here over in my corner lol.

Inventor
#43 Old 17th Jun 2021 at 7:07 PM
I can see EA implementing a color wheel or HSL sliders for The Sims 5. I mean, they already added HSL sliders for makeup and skintones in The Sims 4, I won't be surprised if they add them for hair and eye color at some point. But yeah, CASt is gone for good.
Alchemist
#44 Old 17th Jun 2021 at 11:35 PM
Can't remember an item in particular, it's more of a trend:

For clothing: assigning channels in a weird way, or making parts of an outfit overlays when they could be more versatile if made recolorable.

For the first, it's things like not considering how the player will recolor an outfit. If it's a dress with a jacket, you'll typically recolor the dress first, then the jacket. Having the dress on the red channel, then the lapels of the jacket on the green, then the trim of the dress on the blue, and then the jacket on the alpha. It's a mess. May sound like a minor complaint, but I've seen it often enough when converting Store items that it's gotten to me, haha.

As for the unrecolorable overlays...it's mostly things like buttons or necklaces or scarves. Realistically, the end of jacket sleeves (can't remember the word for them) aren't typically a different color than the jacket, so why make them a different channel? How many people will use this feature instead of prefering to recolor the scarf? It's especially weird when the outfit only has 3 recolorable channels and one area that's an overlay. What's the point?

It's just these small details that make me sad that the designers weren't necessarily considering that players would like to recolor things differently than what the designers had in mind when making the outfits.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Test Subject
#45 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 8:44 AM
I've come to hate the base game clothing after all these years. I can't stand how shiny they all are. Like, why?
Top Secret Researcher
#46 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 12:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MoominMariah
I've come to hate the base game clothing after all these years. I can't stand how shiny they all are. Like, why?

This mod will remove shine from clothing and objects - https://modthesims.info/d/478307/re...01-16-2014.html
Mad Poster
#47 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 3:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong

I love how you used the tile pattern for that gown!
Forum Resident
#48 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 4:20 PM
@daisylee

Thank you. I started to include the other two recolors of that originally in that post though one is similar to the original. There are so many patterns to use creatively despite it being wood, metal, masonry, tiles, etc. It's also really fun to mix and match tops and bottoms to create some interesting outfits as this one. The top is from SN (https://www.flickr.com/photos/simsvip/7940756478/) and the skirt is from the store. https://store.thesims3.com/productD...ategoryId=11900

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Scholar
#49 Old 21st Jun 2021 at 12:13 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with the stereo's in TS3. I love most of the music, but hate how the music volume settings (ingame on stereo) never seem to save. If you put one on medium, it'll stay on medium, but the volume becomes loud again after reloading the lot (for whatever reason). There are similar problems with other ingame sound settings. I don't recall exactly at this moment, but not all music is affected by the volume settings in options for some reason. Not sure if it's some music in build or town view.
I tend to play annoying sims a lot, so it is possible they are just trolling me with the volume settings.
Scholar
#50 Old 23rd Jun 2021 at 1:38 AM Last edited by Elynda : 7th Jul 2021 at 11:32 PM.
In my case it has to be the phones. For it seems to me you have the choice of being a sad misanthrope with no friends, or having a whole host of them who keep phoning you whenever you have something important to do. You might want to build the skills necessary to advance in your career, cook something more interesting than canned soup for lunch, finish that novel or painting, do a spot of gardening, or maybe get to first base with that particular sim you would like to be more than just good friends with. Whatever it is, you can be pretty sure the fecking phone will start ringing right in the middle of it! And if you ignore the damned thing too often, you will soon find yourself back with the first option: no friends. But at least there's the consolation of a life of peace and tranquility.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Page 2 of 3