Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#101 Old 29th Jul 2021 at 4:25 PM Last edited by Purpleninja75 : 29th Jul 2021 at 9:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Mandelyn
@nitromon Thank that link worked perfectly. Will let you now how the mod works for me.

Did you get it to work @Mandelyn? I had the issue with the .exe file disappearing too on the 1.69 version. With some help from a lovely friend I finally figured out that my anti-virus was blitzing it whenever I tried to launch. I had to go into settings and set an exemption path for the file and now it works!
Advertisement
Scholar
#102 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 2:32 AM
I have just been playing for several hours without any freezing, hardly any lagging, and without my laptop suffering a melt down. I set the patch to 500 TPS, which seems to suit my computer. I should mention that I was using Razer Game Booster, which is the only thing that has made TS3 playable for me for some while now, and also Riva Tuner to limit FPS, which is also a great help.

But the Smoothness Patch is the icing on the cake. Wow, what a difference! CAS is no longer an ordeal to use: I'm not waiting for long minutes whilst outfits finish loading, or sitting twiddling my thumbs whilst sims stand there for an age looking stupid before finally switching outfits. This is going to make creating sims and dressing them for my current story project much less of a trial. In game things are running a lot smoother: textures are loading far quicker and not once have I seen anybody driving a bleached white car, or riding a bicycle with square wheels. The clock is not freezing when I go into super fast mode, and there is no longer a 3 second lag between my clicking on a sim or an object and any options appearing.

Oh happy day!

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Scholar
#103 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 2:51 AM
It's good that you can use the smooth patch on top of other enhancement tools or mods, like Game Booster without any conflicts! I've tried it with and without the Turbo Travel mod on the fullbuilds and deltabuilds. There was no problem with Turbo, they played nicely together
Scholar
#104 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 12:40 PM
So I did a bunch of cleaning up of files on my game and tested some tuning on this mod and I'm happy to say its working much better now. Definitely smoother gameplay, less idle animation, but also more free will and dropping my queued actions, which is good/bad depending on my mood. Still don't feel like cas is much quicker, but I admit there is probably a limit to what it can do with the amount of cc in my game. I was also able to bring my cpu and gpu temps back in line with what I'm used to while playing. So hooray for not frying any components while its 90 degrees out every day. The only downside I'm noticing right now is my camera is now completely unstable and floaty in a way its never been before. Hard to line up views for screen shots. Going to have to find camera mods now.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Test Subject
#105 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 6:30 PM
I didn’t have any real complaints about live mode in my game, it’s run quite smoothly on my current processor. But this made CAS, buy mode, and CASt so much better. I haven’t tried clearing my thumbnails yet, which was usually where CAS stumbled bad for me; but it definitely feels more snappy. Also the menus feel way more fluid, whereas before they felt laggy. Patterns all load within seconds now, and I can change them while they’re still loading. I didn’t really have any issues with lots loading in, but it might be a bit faster, I’m not really seeing any load in textures anymore, but it wasn’t really something I saw much before anyway.
I have mine set at the default 500, and I’m pretty happy with it. Think I’ll just leave it there. Definitely great to have such a good quality of life improvement, hope to see more of lazyduchess on ts3, they’re a fantastic modder.
Instructor
#106 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 4:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Purpleninja75
Did you get it to work @Mandelyn? I had the issue with the .exe file disappearing too on the 1.69 version. With some help from a lovely friend I finally figured out that my anti-virus was blitzing it whenever I tried to launch. I had to go into settings and set an exemption path for the file and now it works!

Yes I did. So far it seems to be working nicely but I didn't get alot of play time the last couple days...you work, they actually make you go in and do it if you want to get paid, the nerve.
Top Secret Researcher
#107 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 11:37 AM Last edited by KatyFernlily : 31st Jul 2021 at 12:02 PM.
I'm not sure if anyone has had this problem but I've not been able to save any screenshots since applying the smoothness patch. The game says "saved to launcher" but there are no images in the launcher or in the screenshots folder.
Now I did revert back to using my game without the patch and then went back to the launcher that has the patch and then took the screenshots so not sure if that is what caused the screenshots to stop working??

I just launched my game with the launcher without the patch and am able to take/save screenshots.

The best thing about this patch is the loading times of lots - it's much faster. Also the CAS is fast to load patterns and I'm able to quickly recolor walls and objects. Panning around the world in map view is a dream as well!
Top Secret Researcher
#109 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 12:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
What version are you on? I can attest that 1.67 works fine. I've taken some screenshots already.

Origin 1.69
Scholar
#110 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 12:04 PM
I have been able to take screenshots with 1.69.
Doesn't mean something in your set-up isn't interfering of course.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Top Secret Researcher
#111 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 12:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MurderPrincessK
I have been able to take screenshots with 1.69.
Doesn't mean something in your set-up isn't interfering of course.

No idea - my son helped me set up the patch and made shortcuts to the launcher cause I'm not so computer savvy.
Lab Assistant
#112 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 6:58 PM
Oh no idea why that might be happening, I'm also able to take screenshots just fine.
Top Secret Researcher
#113 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 8:00 PM
Is it possible any routing conflicts get resolved a bit snappier? I mean situations when sims are in each other's way. Or am I imagining things because everything else is so much lighter and faster?
The game feels so much more lightweight. It often felt like quite a chore to load and play one of my old legacy families, so I haven't played them in ages. Now, I feel like I could play them again and have fun! @LazyDuchess, I really can't thank you enough for such an easy (for me) solution that has such an impact.
Scholar
#115 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 10:28 PM
TBH, I think it's also that The Sims moves in mysterious ways. Sometimes it gets the hickups, sometimes it doesn't, even in the same world. Sometimes it has to do with bugged objects (the corrupted beds and elevators in my house seemed to really make the game choppy), and sometimes nobody knows WTH is happening there.
Top Secret Researcher
#117 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 2:29 AM
Some more information:

When I run the game with the patch, taking a screenshot says that it saved the screenshot, but nothing actually appears in the screenshots folder. Attempting to record a video gives an error that says it was unable to write the video file. I can see previous screenshots and videos in the patched launcher, but can't delete them through the launcher (the delete button does nothing). My son says he thinks it might be a permissions issue, but the patched launcher seems to have the necessary permissions and running as administrator makes no difference, so he can't figure out where the conflict might be.
Scholar
#118 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 4:32 AM
I've been running a test save in Sunset Valley and I've noticed a few things. It seems that sims take less time to meet their work mates, and their relationships improve much more quickly. My sim joined the music career, met all his colleagues on the first day, and had befriended Pauline Wan by the end of his second day. Even using the Meet Co-workers Quicker mod it's never been as quick as that.

Also, sims around town seem to have more free will, and to just do more. Previously, after the welcome wagon has been, I don't see sight nor sign of the neighbors unless I invite them over. Sometimes the kids will bring home friends from school, who arrive on the bus with them, but Kaylynn Langerak, who seems very keen to make friends with my Serena Webster, just came over on her bike. It was pissing down with rain too. Now that's keen!

Speaking of rain: today I saw a sim do something I don't think I've ever seen in TS3. She went to the window to check out the weather. I've seen them do it in TS2, but if it ever happened in 3 it was so long ago I'd forgotten it was a thing. And it was raining. Well, of course it was: this is Sunset Valley, where it is always raining. They really ought to rename it to 'Sunless Valley'.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Field Researcher
#119 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 4:50 AM
I tested the mod on my (old) laptop (Win 7, core i5, 6GB RAM), tested with 100 tps and 500 on my Sunset Valley save (currently with 241MB) and didn't notice yet any major improvement, and the temperature also was the same without it. I wanted to test it with 1000 but I'm quite afraid that the temperature might increase too much...

I'm bad at finding CC on my own
My simblr
I'm shy and so I might take longer to reply you '-'
Lab Assistant
#120 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 4:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Elynda
I've been running a test save in Sunset Valley and I've noticed a few things. It seems that sims take less time to meet their work mates, and their relationships improve much more quickly. My sim joined the music career, met all his colleagues on the first day, and had befriended Pauline Wan by the end of his second day. Even using the Meet Co-workers Quicker mod it's never been as quick as that.

Also, sims around town seem to have more free will, and to just do more. Previously, after the welcome wagon has been, I don't see sight nor sign of the neighbors unless I invite them over. Sometimes the kids will bring home friends from school, who arrive on the bus with them, but Kaylynn Langerak, who seems very keen to make friends with my Serena Webster, just came over on her bike. It was pissing down with rain too. Now that's keen!

Speaking of rain: today I saw a sim do something I don't think I've ever seen in TS3. She went to the window to check out the weather. I've seen them do it in TS2, but if it ever happened in 3 it was so long ago I'd forgotten it was a thing. And it was raining. Well, of course it was: this is Sunset Valley, where it is always raining. They really ought to rename it to 'Sunless Valley'.

Huh, interesting. I haven't had any weirdness with job relationships actually, I've left my Sims meeting coworkers for a while and they only get to meet like one or two in a day as usual (if I recall correctly). But I only play on 500 TPS so that I can do other heavy things with the game alt tabbed, so that might be why I haven't come across many time related oddities. These would have to be fixed via normal script mods, either by taking the system clock into account rather than relying on Ticks for timing or replacing the "Sleep" routine with something that's not affected by this mod.

The mentions of Sims routing quicker and doing more are pretty feasible as their AI is now processing things a lot more often, so that one is cool to hear! And yeah I had to look up a less rain mod first thing after getting back into TS3 heh.

What @nitromon mentioned is very interesting. We might have to put up with changing the TPS around unfortunately, as the game is flawed beyond just the issue that this patch addresses.

And by the way, my knowledge on the inner workings of TS3 is still pretty limited. I haven't done nearly as much work reverse engineering it as I've done for TS2, so for the time being Smooth Patch might not be getting new features or significant improvements.
Lab Assistant
#121 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 4:57 AM Last edited by LazyDuchess : 1st Aug 2021 at 5:22 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by bellakenobi
I tested the mod on my (old) laptop (Win 7, core i5, 6GB RAM), tested with 100 tps and 500 on my Sunset Valley save (currently with 241MB) and didn't notice yet any major improvement, and the temperature also was the same without it. I wanted to test it with 1000 but I'm quite afraid that the temperature might increase too much...

I'd say try to set Debug to 1 to see if the mod is working in the first place. I wouldn't be too worried about testing 1000 TPS, -1 TPS is the no-no setting. 500 is the default value so that very low end computers don't have much of a problem.
Top Secret Researcher
#122 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 5:56 AM
I followed some advice from the Sims4 forum where someone's screenshots were not saving to the screenshot folder or "launcher" (whatever the sims 4 version of that is...) and it was stated that some were only able to take screenshots and videos while in Live Mode. So I tried it and voile it worked! I'd like it if I could take screens in whatever mode but...oh well....at least I can capture some images now! Video worked in Live Mode as well.
Top Secret Researcher
#124 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 10:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LazyDuchess
What @nitromon mentioned is very interesting. We might have to put up with changing the TPS around unfortunately, as the game is flawed beyond just the issue that this patch addresses.

I wonder if it was possible to move the txt-file to the User folder? That way the TPS number would be tied to a particular save. Which wouldn't improve anything in this regards for those who travel a lot, but for those who have set up different savegames in different worlds it might be more convenient.

Either way, thank you very much for this mod! The improvement is noticeable, it's a joy how swift everything feels now
Page 5 of 7