Replies: 226 (Who?), Viewed: 8498 times.
Page 4 of 10
Mad Poster
#76 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 12:34 PM
Swatches that don’t match are why I cannot stand decorating in TS4. Consistent swatches would be so good and probably save development time.

Spa Day and Snowy Escape have such good wood palette colors that should be used everywhere.

There’s a level of power I miss from TS3’s CAST.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#77 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 1:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrak_nl
I guess I am too jaded by now. I was trying to show that (to me anyway) TS4 is a done deal. Nothing will improve in a worthwile way at this point. All main gameplay issues it has will stay the same. DLC is all just adding more of the same content or weak versions of whatever DLC existed in TS2 and 3. And patches just seem to fix minor things. They can't even get the action queue working and it will also never happen.

I tried building in base game yesterday and it just made me ragequit. The stupid swatches. All the tiny dark brown/black swatches look the same but turn out to be very different shades of brown/black when used. This is more frustrating then using a pattern tool that starts to lag in TS3, This is with all colours in TS4 . Just a common palette for building items and furniture is already too challenging for those developers.
TS4 is filled with obvious weak design issues like these and almost no one (outside some people on this website anyway) seems to care. How?

Hm, I just realised that I just want a TS2/3 REMASTERED version instead of whatever Sims 5 will be. The weak design choices for TS4 (and I expect TS5) just piss me off! Everything now seems to be about looking pretty and creating a 'positive experience' while proper game design takes a back seat. In AAA games anyway. Indie developers seem to be the only ones left worrying about game design.

I understand the jaded thing. I feel that way about most of the gaming industry in general, so I stopped buying games. Nobody cares and my cash isn't missed, but it makes me feel better. I have no sympathy for CEO's that lose a tiny portion of their million dollar bonuses. My son bought me a copy of Animal Crossing New Horizons. It is reserved as a 'winter game' as even Nintendo has done things that makes me not want to be bothered with them.

In hindsight, there was a lot of writing on the wall for what was to come for TS4 in terms of issues. Starting with the whole spiel about how the game was built on a 'solid foundation' and yet the maps were not even colored in at release. That alone should have been a red flag. As for why people here care while it seems nobody else seems to, I can't answer that, it isn't my answer to give. Everybody has their own reasons and things they're into. What I can say is that at one point in time people that just built and or created pixel people were left unscathed for the most part. As the game continues to fall apart and crumble on itself, those parts of the game is having problems too and have been for awhile.

I really want to agree about the remastering thing, but after all the problems Mac users have had with the TS3 64-bit update, I'd rather Maxis didn't bother. This could be that whole jaded part of me talking, but TS3 is what it is. It is a beast, but not so much of a beast that it can't be reigned in. People are still modding for it, continuing to try to find ways to deal with issues, and so on. After watching Vixella on Twitch play TS4 for the past few days, my game runs just fine compared what she has endured over the past few streams. LOL This is not a pop shot at Vixella, what was happening wasn't her fault. Sims popping in and out all over the place, the endless simulation lag, ect... If my game ran that bad, I would uninstall it and have a disc burning party. That's just me though.
Forum Resident
#78 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 2:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix54
Swatches that don’t match are why I cannot stand decorating in TS4. Consistent swatches would be so good and probably save development time.

Spa Day and Snowy Escape have such good wood palette colors that should be used everywhere.

There’s a level of power I miss from TS3’s CAST.

And seeing how EA knows that people will absolutely lose their shit over new swatches through updates just to be able to have things match, I seriously doubt CASt will ever return as it was in TS3, in TS4 or any future Sims game. At best, if TS5 doesn't go the multi-player route, they might add a color wheel.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Scholar
#79 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 6:37 PM
TS4 really, after more than 7 years of existence, I feel I have now i have almost zero control of the game at all, I tell them to do something so simple, you have to expect, they most likely cancel it, even waking as early as 5am I still can't even cook a breakfast in time for the the kids before 8am. The dishes are so difficult for them to decide if they should for put them in dishwasher or a sink instead they prefer to pick them up leave on the floor or a unused surface. Rubbish keeps piling up on up floors despite having a bin in every room. Laundry problems happen everywhere despite having a hamper in every room. AND if no one has even handiness skill expect broken appliances with every second use from toilets to computers .Instead the team think the best idea is to work on skintones, Afro-hair improvements, ponds, brush-sizes, paintings recolors/, anyway.. it's enough to consider just giving up...
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#80 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 7:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysim
Laundry problems happen everywhere despite having a hamper in every room.

Probably *because* you have a hamper in every room. I have no hampers and no laundry problems :D

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#81 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 8:17 PM
Citysim: Sims can be hard to control, agree to that. I do not have Eco Lifestyle but as I did understand it one of the "features" is that trash pile up everywhere. (Sidenote: All trashcans in my worlds have an option to "rummage" trough them but there is never trash in them. Very odd...). And the laundry problem I know from Ts3. It's like me irl, dirty clothes randomly on the floor.

Gargoyle Cat: I think the main problem is that games is being played on so many different platforms. And that people wants to play on different platforms. That's my theory, take it or leave it.

lil bag2 (post #72): As I remember it from TS2 chance cards could be ignored but just to a certain level. After that you had to pick an option. But yeah, the TS4 chance cards is bad. I did play a family, a man and two teens, and the same card popped up 3 times in 3 days. Me: "Yes, just like before the the sim to use the time and study while outside, not hanging around". Game: "Small performance gain". I mean, It could be done so that if the same kid was "hit" by the same card twice the performance gain could be Small the first time and Big the other time.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#82 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmo

Gargoyle Cat: I think the main problem is that games is being played on so many different platforms. And that people wants to play on different platforms. That's my theory, take it or leave it.

I guess I'm leaving it because without context, I don't know what you're talking about.
Scholar
#83 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 11:51 PM
What I meant was: Today games are being played at so many different platforms and that is what people want. Before there were only PC's and if it was good enough you could play. TS4 was meant to be a game for mobile devices but then they changed it. But the game is still "lightweight". I can play TS4 on a laptop. Laptops and thin clients are what people use today. Gaming computers (even gaming laptops) are still around but are expensive. Even if my laptop is good (it could be better if it did not run so hot) I can not see it run TS2. TS3 would be impossible to run. That's how I see it but I don't know the computer market and don't know how powerful modern computers are.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#84 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 11:58 PM
Quote:
What I meant was: Today games are being played at so many different platforms and that is what people want. Before there were only PC's and if it was good enough you could play. TS4 was meant to be a game for mobile devices but then they changed it. But the game is still "lightweight". I can play TS4 on a laptop. Laptops and thin clients are what people use today. Gaming computers (even gaming laptops) are still around but are expensive. Even if my laptop is good (it could be better if it did not run so hot) I can not see it run TS2. TS3 would be impossible to run. That's how I see it but I don't know the computer market and don't know how powerful modern computers are.

My issues with the gaming industry have nothing to do with what platform games are played on. I'm not sure where you came up with that, but that isn't even a blip on my personal radar.
Mad Poster
#85 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 12:34 AM
Dunno if it's machine, and hardly/nobody brings it up, but when I played TS4 I didn't like how slugish/slow interacting with anything felt. I will expand on this later when I have time.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Scholar
#86 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 7:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
My issues with the gaming industry have nothing to do with what platform games are played on. I'm not sure where you came up with that, but that isn't even a blip on my personal radar.

OK, so I did misunderstand you. Never mind my answer then. I thought you talked about why TS4 is so "thin" as it is. I do know nothing about other games as i don't play them. I do not have the time nor the interest to do so.
Test Subject
#87 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 11:15 AM
Quote:

What? If your laptop can run TS4 it can definitely run TS2 and TS3...

Also, TS4 is not really that lightweight.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#88 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 12:50 PM
Quote:
OK, so I did misunderstand you. Never mind my answer then. I thought you talked about why TS4 is so "thin" as it is. I do know nothing about other games as i don't play them. I do not have the time nor the interest to do so.

It is fine that you misunderstood, but I've never said that TS4 is thin. I'm not even sure what that means.

In all seriousness, you need to stop taking anything I say about TS4 personally; just like everybody else that wastes their time being angry because I call out Maxis, game changers when they are being a pain in the ass, bugs, and whatever other issues may appear at any given time. Unless you are the cause of whatever the problem is that I'm talking about at any given time, it isn't about you. If you want to make it about you, that's on you and your problem to deal with, not mine.

My world does not revolve around sims, I have other things to do / needs to be done. If I spend 5 minutes posting about something, that means I'm spending the other 23 hours and 55 minutes on something else. A couple of weeks ago I opened my game, played for a hour and haven't returned to it. There is nothing wrong with my game, but I have things I want to get done before cold weather settles in. The stream I mentioned in my previous post was playing in the background while I was painting my livingroom ceiling. I don't watch TV and didn't feel like wasting time trying to find things to watch. A stream is usually a couple of hours, Vixella doesn't bother me, so that was on.

Maxis isn't going to melt, problematic game changers will figure it out or not, and TS4 is what it is.
Field Researcher
#89 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 9:24 AM
Apparantly on August 19th the Sims team will open a thread on the official forums where they want to hear input about how to make the base game more challenging and give it more depth. It came up in the last Maxis Monthly at 42min mark.
SimGuruGeorge said: What would that look like to you? What would you expect from it?

I don't know why they would need to gather more feedback on that since everybody has been saying that the Sims lacks depth and is too easy, but maybe something will come from it. Who knows.
What would your ideas be to make the base game more challenging and give it more depth? I mean, aside from totally rebuilding the whole game...
Scholar
#90 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 10:45 AM
After 7 years they ask... it's just like they ask if anyone is still there...

madoka99: I don't think it would be wise to even try running TS3 on that laptop. It's not made for gaming and tends to run very hot. My "gaming" rig, a Windows 7 desktop where my TS3 game is installed, runs a Gigabyte GeForce 1050Ti graphics card (I don't have the rest of the specs here) and my game runs anything but smooth.
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 11:34 AM
I would really want them to fix what's already in the game, before adding even more stuff to the game that will most likely cause more bugs...

The bug report forum is a great place for them to start if they need to look for improvements to the game.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#92 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 11:51 AM
The following is in regards to a stream that happened the other day. I didn't watch it, didn't know about it. Since SimGuruGeorge was one of the hosts, I wouldn't have watched it if I did know about it. He talks to people like they're small children.

Quote:
Upcoming Official Discussion: Challenge and Depth of The Sims 4 Base Game

Here’s what they’ve stated:

We’ve heard from the community that you guys want a higher level of challenge and depth in the Base Game. Here’s the thing – we’d love to hear more about this. We want to know what you want to hear on a higher level of challenge and depth in the Base Game. What would that look like for you? What would you expect from it, how will this change your current experience in The Sims?

On August 19th starting at 6AM PST we’ll be welcoming your comments again during the 24 hours AMA on The Sims Forums. Closer to the date we’re gonna share a link to the forum we’re going to create. We hope you follow the guidelines and give us a lot of feedback.

https://simscommunity.info/2021/08/...ms-4-base-game/

I can never tell if they use these kinds of questions as a means to start a conversation, if they are really that oblivious or if it is a bit of both. The lack of depth for TS4 has been a issue since the game was released. The reasons people give for the lack of depth varies from one person to another, but for a game that is a life simulator it should be obvious.

If two sims beat the snot out of each other, they shouldn't hug and be BFFs when the fight is over.

If two sims meet on the sidewalk, they shouldn't be high-fiving each other to have a baby a minute into the conversation.

If a married sim cheats on their partner and is caught in the act, the sim that is being cheated on shouldn't be happy about the situation.

Sims shouldn't be breaking out in fits of giggles when one of their family members drops dead on the floor.

TS4 bauble heads have no situational awareness by design; this didn't happen by accident. I'm almost willing to bet that this was because TS4 was supposed to be a online game that had even less depth.

Why do these things have to be spelled out? SimGuruGeorge has been around since TS2. Did he forget what the word consequences means? There are plenty of dictionaries online, he doesn't even need to buy a book to understand this weird concept that has never been part of TS4.
Field Researcher
#93 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 12:03 PM
I read that if you treat people as if they were 12 years old, it is very likely that you will get an equivalent emotional response. I guess that's why they do it.

They have done so many polls over the last seven years that I really doubt they are of any use, I think they are just a distraction to make people believe that they care about something.
Mad Poster
#94 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 2:19 PM
TS4 is a lost caused. Addressing these problems over and over what is wrong with the game to devs will not change the game. Devs don't play the game they created and and aren't looking on improving the franchise back on its right track, so why bother conversing about it with them? I hate to say it, but we are no longer their audience. Newer players who haven't played previous games or those olders who don't mind the drawbacks of TS4 is what they will focus on.

Lab Assistant
#95 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 2:09 PM
I've been trying my best not to post anymore because it seems that most times when I do I've always got something to complain about. For example, here's my latest complaint: I've got this one sims who's boss with the ladies. In approx 4 months he's gotten 60 women pregnant (Yeah, I know - so what. There are those who've done better.) But here lately, since this last "cottage" update, he hasn't be able to do his thing. In the last 2 days he's tried several times with 12 different women and wasn't able to impregnate even one (Yeah, Get Pregnant was enabled for all. And you'd think out of 12 he'd at least be able to luckily hit one. Especially since he had so much success in the past.) Could this be the result of a mod? Yeah, I guess it could - since I had to update a few. But after removal, I still got the problem.

OK. Big deal. Why the hell rant? Who cares. Everybody got problems with this @#$&%@! game. So, why do I keep playing? I don't know. I guess it's because when the damn game works, it can be a lot of fun. It can be enjoyable to watch your sims act, do and respond exactly the way you want, completing goals (whatever minimal goals there are) and accomplishing tasks to fulfill whatever story you are trying to tell.

And that's the point. The Sims Team know this is what people want. And yet, they want to pretend like they don't.

Quote:
We want to know what you want to hear on a higher level of challenge and depth in the Base Game. What would that look like for you? What would you expect from it, how will this change your current experience in The Sims?

WTF? We want the damn game TO WORK - ALL THE TIME! Working does not mean fixing a loading screen so that it looks better. Working means doing things like fixing simulation lag, Or fixing the Dining experience or Whims system.

How the hell can they ask "We want to know what you want" ??

OK. So I rant. I know all of you out there don't care, and I'm so sorry that I do it. Like I said, I'm cutting back on posting in the future unless I've got something positive to say. Good luck to me, huh?

Everybody have a good day and take care.

Hear the other side. - St. Augustine
Scholar
#96 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 7:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikosay
WTF? We want the damn game TO WORK - ALL THE TIME! Working does not mean fixing a loading screen so that it looks better. Working means doing things like fixing simulation lag, Or fixing the Dining experience or Whims system.

Dear sims team, regarding your question what I expect/want to see in terms of more challenging gameplay, I don't want the game to be more challening, because I set up my own challenges. However, IF I wanted a challenge from Sims 4, then I'd want this challenge to originate in the actual gameplay, and not in finding workarounds for your bugs, glitches and features that only look like bugs and glitches, but are intended (I honestly cannot tell the difference anymore.).

(Seriously, the pre-Cottage Living EP broke the game so hard, that update is not getting anywhere near my computer. I wanted CL, would have paid full prize, but not at the cost of my currently somewhat stable game.)
Alchemist
#97 Old 11th Aug 2021 at 11:57 PM
How about the sims team stop adding to this boring dumpster fire and get to work on a Sims 5 with an open world? This game is old and tired.
Mad Poster
#98 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyinbmore
How about the sims team stop adding to this boring dumpster fire and get to work on a Sims 5 with an open world? This game is old and tired.

An Open World that would lag and stutter? I wouldn't put a finger on trusting them to not recreate the dumbster fire They blew it big time and seem oblivion with their mistakes.

Mad Poster
#99 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 1:10 AM
Anything the team would have gained from TS3 to produce a compelling open world has been lost with TS4.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#100 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 4:24 AM
Open world in The Sims is gone, same as CASt. EA is far too engrained in the realm of endless content packs now to produce actual QoL improvements like those.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Page 4 of 10