Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 2:51 PM
2-story loft type home - build help
Hello everyone! I started building recently and I am having this issue building a new home, I was hoping someone could tell me if this is normal to happen or if I'm doing something wrong.

So I'm doing this loft style living room but whenever I delete the floor upstairs I can see the sky when I'm downstairs...

Also, the light is super weird on the 1st floor windows... Is there any way to fix all of this?

Thanks in advance!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 24th Sep 2021 at 11:32 PM
To see a skylight was never actually an issue for me because from very first game I play Sims from the top view.
But if you wanna create aesthetically pleasing screenshots then you can use tab camera on the top level and move it down using keyboard control panel: W-A-S-Z for move horysontally and guess E-R buttons for climb and down. Use mod by T-Mexi to make Tab camera available in buy mode.
Regards Vic ^_^

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
dodgy builder
#3 Old 25th Sep 2021 at 4:15 AM
To take the best pictures you should move a sim in and take photos in live mode instead. Then you can use the camera controls to move up and down on the floors.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 27th Sep 2021 at 12:55 AM Last edited by andes : 27th Sep 2021 at 1:20 AM.
I get it too: built a two floor building, enclosed a piece of the upper floor, removed the floor there. When walls are up the ceiling is visible elsewhere, but not in the 'open ceiling' space; where the sky is visible instead. I didn't find any way to change it. This whether a sim lives in the house or not.

Someone made a bug report about it, or just the same effect caused by a glass roof; but since a 'superuser' posted in the thread it got moved to the feedback section instead. The superusers are just players, but since they do EA's work they are allowed administrative rights in the bug section, and can decide what counts as a bug. What is considered a 'bug' by the production team is fluid, so if you want it adressed, you can either make a new bug report, or post in this one, asking for it to be moved back to the bug report section. I clicked Me Too. This button - and the loud opinions on how the game works (if intended or not) - is what can sway the production team to change/fix it. ETA: These opinions need to reach EA, so posted on their own forums, or where a lot of views secures attention, like a Youtube video or twitter anger for example. (So not here ).
https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-D...and/m-p/9606726

The light usually looks like that for me. The same tip applies here though: if you want them to change it, make a bug report and create a fuss.
Theorist
#5 Old 27th Sep 2021 at 7:31 PM Last edited by Victor_tor : 27th Sep 2021 at 7:46 PM. Reason: Added examples
I disagree that this is a bug. And I don't wanna have ceilings visible besides tab-camera. I wanna see items like it is now - on currently playable level in live mode - maybe lower level, but not the upper.

There are a lot of examples 9f tab-camera use. This Lyralei's cottage is good example of glass roofs shot with tab-camera use. The glass roofs were the reason user complained. Like you see, it is okay in the tab-mode. This apartment by me has the same so-called issue of two-storey space. But I shot with tab-camera and T-mexi's unlock so it has delightful picture representing two-storey kitchen from buy mode and with no sims on lot.

I hope those petition will be never satisfied. This will break all my game play entirely.

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
dodgy builder
#6 Old 27th Sep 2021 at 8:47 PM
I agree with Victor. You just have to move a sim in and use the tab camera to see the building as it would be in game. The building needs to look very different in building because you have to see where to put furniture etc. Just move on to live mode and it will look better.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 12:13 AM
The sky is visible in live mode, using Sims 3 camera to look upwards. New game.

Whether something is changed or not would be up to the production, listening to the players. I think for the developer's perspective you need to disagree in the bug report thread, the linked one or any newly made for similar issues - not here. Bug reports are done on EA's forum AHQ, in the section for them, called just that.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...The-Sims-4-Bugs

Anyone with a copy of the game and therefore an account on AHQ is allowed to make a bug report, no matter other players's opinions; and for any issue they have and want no more.

The bug reports are for the game only; so not for mod and cc influence on it. Those must always be removed before testing to see if the issue occurs on a 'vanilla' game.
dodgy builder
#8 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 12:55 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 28th Sep 2021 at 1:12 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by andes
The sky is visible in live mode, using Sims 3 camera to look upwards. New game.

Whether something is changed or not would be up to the production, listening to the players. I think for the developer's perspective you need to disagree in the bug report thread, the linked one or any newly made for similar issues - not here. Bug reports are done on EA's forum AHQ, in the section for them, called just that.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...The-Sims-4-Bugs

Anyone with a copy of the game and therefore an account on AHQ is allowed to make a bug report, no matter other players's opinions; and for any issue they have and want no more.

The bug reports are for the game only; so not for mod and cc influence on it. Those must always be removed before testing to see if the issue occurs on a 'vanilla' game.

I don't have that kind of problem. You're doing it wrong. Have all floors up and move into the house using camera movement. As a long time builder in this game though I never do, but then I know what it looks like and if I need to take photos it's not a problem. I know there is mods fixing different parts of this, but I don't need them. Having built in this game since it was launched, this is no problem for me, and I've seen a lot of build problems in this game, but most of them are gone now.

Below is how the tab camera works. In live mode move towards the building with your mouse and settle on top of it. Press tab and move down through the floors with the Q button. You can use the Q, W, E, A, S, D, Z, X to achieve different movement types. The camera doesn't move that fast, that's why you place the camera on the building before pressing tab.

Screenshots
Field Researcher
#9 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 1:19 AM Last edited by andes : 28th Sep 2021 at 1:40 AM.
@Volvenom It's good that you don't have the issue, but the OP was asking if anyone else had it, and if it's normal. What is normal is what people say is normal.

When you say camera movement, do you mean your tab-tip? The question was not specified to be about taking pictures, but perhaps OP meant that anyway, so your tip will help.

If anyone makes a bug report on this I will click Me Too though, since I did see it, in live mode, having a sim living in the house, and I would want the ceiling to show in gameplay.
Having a discussion about it here is fruitless - the OP's thread is derailed; no one who can change/not change the feature is reading; I have nothing invested in this.

This is how I did it:
New user folder, new save, new sim. Moved them to Willow Creek, empty house. Built a rectangular box on Bargain Bend, empty lot. Copied it, and placed on top. Drew a wall on top floor. Removed the floor on one side.
Moved the sim in through manage Households UI. Switched to Sims 3 camera in Game Options, to be able to look up.

ETA: Picture taken in live mode:
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#10 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 1:27 AM
@Volvenom It's good that you don't have the issue, but the OP was asking if anyone else had it, and if it's normal. What is normal is what people say is normal.

When you say camera movement, do you mean your tab-tip? The question was not specified to be about taking pictures, but perhaps OP meant that anyway, so your tip will help.

If anyone makes a bug report on this I will click Me Too though, since I did see it, in live mode, having a sim living in the house, and I would want the ceiling to show in gameplay.
Having a discussion about it here is fruitless - the OP's thread is derailed; no one who can change/not change the feature is reading; I have nothing invested in this.

This is how I did it:
New user folder, new save, new sim. Moved them to Willow Creek, empty house. Built a rectangular box on Bargain Bend, empty lot. Copied it, and placed on top. Drew a wall on top floor. Removed the floor on one side.
Moved the sim in through manage Households UI. Switched to Sims 3 camera in Game Options, to be able to look up.

This is a building forum, not a gameplay forum. I read the first post one more time and I still think this is about building. I do see though that you wasn't the OP, so I guess the OP never returned.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 1:38 AM
I build for gameplay, assuming this is not done is hasty.

I'm sure you are a good builder though, and I only have played this game for about two years or so.

Hope OP will return to see the tips.
dodgy builder
#12 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 1:53 AM
I build for gameplay, assuming this is not done is hasty.

I'm sure you are a good builder though, and I only have played this game for about two years or so.

Hope OP will return to see the tips.

Yes well, they are 2 very different fields of expertise. Not everyone who builds plays the game the way you do. I usually only play to test gameplay and then I build. Some people just have an urge to build. Some even skip gameplay altogether.

... but this is fruitless without OP.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 1:58 AM
Yes, exactly, so assuming one before actual clarification of motivation for a solution is not for the best. Bug reports do not have to specify the player's game style, and there are many made for issues occuring while building, without any requests from the developers of using tricks or to declare what the issue is interfering with.

And, yes, it is, so let's wait for them.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 28th Sep 2021 at 10:49 AM
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your replies! This post was indeed about building and your tips about the tab camera on live mode solved it for me! Thanks again to all of you.
Screenshots