Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#1001 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 5:01 AM Last edited by sleighill : 28th Mar 2009 at 8:54 PM.
Numenor...I've been following the advice you gave me on making Wall Masks...and I've tried my hand at recoloring a few of my favorite custom contents. My dilema...
everything looks fine until I go to put them into the game...once I Commit and Save them...they turn out as Game Objects instead of recolors...I know..I know...it's something I'm doing wrong...but the recolors do atleast look great - I just can't get them to save as Recolors.
Your guidance is needed...once again. Thank you.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#1002 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 5:24 PM
Hello???? Anybody there???
Test Subject
#1003 Old 3rd Apr 2009 at 2:30 AM
HAHAHAHA.... sorry---giddy laughter... I've been trying to make this work for hours now and i was afraid that i was never going to be able to see my beautiful recolors...but i figured it out... so thank you for the brilliant tutorial
Lab Assistant
#1004 Old 4th Apr 2009 at 12:13 AM
Ok...it appears this mustev' been asked and resolved by someone else...because I get the feeling (with no response after a week) that I'm being a pain in the ass...so just delete my posts...I'll once again try to figure it out myself.
Thank you.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#1005 Old 4th Apr 2009 at 12:34 AM
sleighill have you tried posting your object for someone to look at? If your object has more than the three files in it for a recolor then you must be accidentally selecting the clone option. The three files needed are TXTR, MMAT, and TXMT.
Lab Assistant
#1006 Old 7th Apr 2009 at 2:07 AM Last edited by sleighill : 7th Apr 2009 at 2:17 AM.
Thank you HugeLunatic for the response.
I'm trying to make wall stickers....using Aikea's half height wall mask in Adobe PS.

It all looks great...and after importing to SimPe...it makes the package for me...but when I go to load it into the game...it comes out as a Game Object...not a Object Recolor to go along with the other recolors using her mesh. This happens with either me using the Alpha Channel method...or just the plain old simple "paste on the mesh and save" method.

I can't figure out this part of my problem. Should they be Game Objects??? Should I clone the mesh first...then paste my image on it in SimPe...??? I'm so lost at just this end part of it.

Thank you for your interest...very much. I didn't paste an image...as it's only this end part I don't get.

My method:

I make a new canvas in Adobe...the size of the Mesh I'm using...512x512 Aikea Guineas' half wall height poster...then I paste my picture onto it...resize it if necessary...and save as PNG...

I then load the mesh image into SimPe...Import my image over it...
Update All Sizes...Commit...then save...but it comes out Game Object.

I never reload the mesh image...I just keep putting my images over the already loaded mesh in SimPe....until I've finished all of my images...so it somehow seems that the mesh is overriding my images each time. My images is there...but not as a recolor.

Also...should I be building DXT then updating and committing...and then saving?...Or should I just update/commit/save as I have been. There's a step I'm missing somewhere.

I've given up on the Alpha Channel method only because it wasn't working for me...but now...the simple method doesn't either.

Thanks loads for responding.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#1007 Old 7th Apr 2009 at 4:59 AM
I am not familiar with the mesh but the process is the same regardless.

1. Select recolor in Object Workshop - not clone.
2. Export your TXTR image.
3. Fiddle in graphics program, save as PNG
4. Right click TXTR image in SimPE and build DXT, using DXT3(required for transparency).
5. Commit and Save.

Maybe it's just a comprehension issue with this tutorial? Try this one here. Lots of pictures, and there are 3 (one for single color Maxis, one for two color Maxis, and custom). You can find support for that tutorial at the forum. Because some of the wording your using is making me think your trying to adjust the mesh.

The clone option is used when you want to alter a mesh, not the texture. And you mention load mesh, so you shouldn't be doing that for a recolor. This should not appear as a new object, it should just be an additional color when using the design too on the original mesh.

And you really want to use the build DXT vs Import as it gives better quality images. If your making multiple colors of one mesh, you need to run object workshop separately for each one. This makes unique filenames inside each recolor package so that they are not the same as another and overwrite them.
Lab Assistant
#1008 Old 7th Apr 2009 at 9:27 PM
Thanks so very much HugeLunatic...that was my problem...making multiple colors and not reloading object workshop...which overrode the previous one.

Your help is much appreciated indeed! From my heart.
Test Subject
#1010 Old 16th Apr 2009 at 8:47 AM
I want to recolor a specific mesh but it is not showing up in object workshop's catalog.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#1011 Old 16th Apr 2009 at 2:03 PM
Is it a Maxis mesh or custom? If it is custom select open instead of start, and then browse for the mesh. If it is Maxis, make sure to go into preferences > file table > tick the appropriate EP that the mesh is in > restart simpe.
Test Subject
#1012 Old 22nd Apr 2009 at 7:08 PM
thanks i tried to do a painting before i read this propley and i was wondering why i couldnt do my painting thanx i made some bedding going to go and cheack it out
Test Subject
#1013 Old 28th Apr 2009 at 2:26 AM
Wonderfully clear tutorial and it worked on my first try! Thank you!
Lab Assistant
#1014 Old 9th May 2009 at 6:52 AM
UV maps go where in simPe
hi can u please tell me where do i extract UV maps so i can use them in SimPE thanx im a newbie
Test Subject
#1015 Old 14th May 2009 at 4:44 AM
Thanks so much. Didn't work first time. But it was my bad... "COMMIT AND SAVE". Great words of advice.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1016 Old 17th May 2009 at 1:02 AM
takart - The UV maps are not something you can extract and import: they are part of the mesh. Therefore, if you are recolouring an object, you can't modify the UVmap. Your only option is to edit the existing texture.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#1017 Old 17th May 2009 at 2:03 PM
If you need the UVmap for reference to know where to put parts of the texture, you can use UVmapper classic (free) and open the mesh in it by clicking flie ->load model and select the mesh. the picture that will come up is the uv map. you can extract it by clicking file-> export texture map and save it anywhere you like.

Some creators will give you Uvmaps and Photoshop files for easier recoloring when asked.

greets,
Mystic Rain

my sims 2 site: MysticRain Sims
Banned
#1018 Old 24th May 2009 at 2:40 AM
I'm sure this has been addressed before here, so many replies. But I was wondering if in build DXT is it good to select "none" for when you want to put a graphic on your object, like a smiley face on the side of a car.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#1019 Old 24th May 2009 at 8:02 PM
Most of the time, "None" will give you the best result. This is actually addressed in the OP:
Quote:
HINT: The default option for the "Sharpen" selector is "Smoothen"; in most cases, you will get better results changing it to "None".

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#1020 Old 26th May 2009 at 5:02 PM
Thank you so, so much for this wonderful tutorial. I am a newbie and completely computer illiterate but it worked the first time for me. Recolored the lamp no prob. Then I tried a rug and had a prob but when I read through the threads I found someone else had the same problem and I fixed it (oops messed up the transparency of the background). I just finally got it right and now have a beautiful rug. This is really fun. Thank you again so much! You seem to give a lot of time to helping people with this stuff....very nice of you. You must get tired of hearing that the DXT didn't show up b/c somebody didn't follow the tutorial. Your time and effort are appreciated.
Lab Assistant
#1021 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 8:07 PM
Loved the tutorial. Thanks.
I'm still having problems with step 3. It doesn't appeared the files in side box, so I only could edit one shade. But to who wasn't been able to open anything this is great! Now I'll practice.

Forever young...
Test Subject
#1022 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 7:19 PM
I need halp. :P
I want to recolor one of the wall paintings that came with IKEA SP but it's not recolorable? Is there a way to change that?

On the floating, shapeless oceans...I did all my best to smile...till your singing eyes and fingers drew me loving into your eyes. And you sang: "Sail to me; sail to me, let me enfold you."
-Song to the Siren, This Mortal Coil
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1023 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 11:15 AM
Shady, have you sent me an email, too, by chance? In any case, the only IKEA objects that are recolourable are listed in the CEP documentation (section "Other SP and Add-ons"); the objects not listed there are not recolourable: they can only be cloned.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#1024 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 9:23 PM
I hoped you could help me I did all the colloring and stuff so I put it in my game and looked, but the weard thing is when I look at it close I see the recoloring I made,but when I scroll back it go's back to the old colloring.
What should I do?
Mad Poster
#1025 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 6:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by denisesims2
I hoped you could help me I did all the colloring and stuff so I put it in my game and looked, but the weard thing is when I look at it close I see the recoloring I made,but when I scroll back it go's back to the old colloring.
What should I do?

it seems just the largest texture was replaced.
May ensure to choose "Build DXT" instead of "replace" or others as mentioned in step 3 and right after the first hint.
Page 41 of 47