Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jan 2021 at 5:44 PM Last edited by Lilidebergerac : 5th Jan 2021 at 6:14 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Crash to desktop - Max memory used
Hi there!

So lately I've experienced a crash to desktop in my game. No error message, no nothing, just straight back to desktop. It usually happens when I am moving the camera.
It happens in my Riverview save, in Buy mode. I can't say if it happens in live mode since it's strictly a build/buy save for now, even though it is populated I never hit live mode. I also should mention that I use EllaCharmed fixed version of the world.
Crash Log Analyzer says it's because of the infamous "max memory used".

Here is my config:
Hard Drive: Seagate BarraCuda 1 To 7200 tpm - 64 Mo
SSD: Crucial BX500 480 Go
Graphic card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 590 Gaming
Mother card: Msi Z390-A PRO Intel Z390 Socket LGA1151
RAM sticks: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Go (2x8Go) DDR4 3000MHz C15 XMP 2.0
Processor: INTEL Core i5-9600KF
Windows 10 Family 64 bits.

Sorry if that's not very clear, my brother built it for me, I'm not tech savvy at all. I know though that it should be more than enough for playing the Sims 3.

I always delete the five cache files before playing, I use SaveCleaner before each play session, my FeaturedItems folder is disabled, I remove any screenshots or videos from their original folders, and I backup my save and only have the one I am currently using in the game folder.
In game, I use almost all Nraas mods, including of course ErrorTrap, Overwatch and MasterController.
I disabled memories, interactive loading screens and the stuff you have to be logged in for. I am never logged in. I am fully patched to 1.67, and I have no program other than the Sims running.
I use the FPS limiter to launch the game, never the launcher, and my FPS is limited to 30 thanks to that nifty program.

Here is what I have tried so far:
- Playing CC free in a new Sunset Valley save: works perfectly fine even with the graphics settings on high
- Adding CC back in batches to that new save (but not using it, just having it in the game), first mods and overrides, then CAS, then BUY, then BUILD: everything still works fine even with graphic settings on high
- Checking my device config file to see if the game actually recognizes my graphic card: from what I understand, it's fine. I attached the file to this post.
- In the save that crashes, resetting the whole town via MasterController: the reset works but the game still crashed after a few minutes in Buy mode.
- In the same save, building on a new lot, not the one I was having the crash in: the game still crashes.

I have a lot of CC, but everything except worlds is converted to packages and installed via CCMagic, with the compression option ticked. I also dutifully rename it to avoid any special character or spaces that lag the game.
My save file is not big, it's only 32ko.

I am at a loss. It doesn't seem to be my graphic settings, some bad CC or conflict, or the lot I was playing in itself.
Could it be that I just have too much CC? My previous laptop which was nothing compared to my new beast handled it fine. Well, at least as best it could.

Could you please help me? I have tried everything I could think of and I searched the internet high and low...

Thank you very much!
Attached files:
File Type: txt  DeviceConfig.txt (5.2 KB, 9 downloads)
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 11:39 AM
Thank you for your reply!

I should have mentioned that before trying all of that, I did try messing with the graphics settings and lowering them. It crashed even when high res lot were at 1.
That being said, I tried again today by putting the graphics settings back to the default, and it did not crash. I think it did not like the edge smoothing (which is a real shame, cause I really like it).

Though what worries me now is the RAM usage: I am already at 2,5 when loading the save, and it will go up to 2,7, maybe 3 when I am in build/buy mode. Keeping in mind the fact that this is a save I have not even started to actually play with, what will it be when the sims start forming relationships, etc. and the game has to load all that?

What I don't understand is why it uses so much memory. I have seen people play with more CC than me and the game running fine, and I know my computer can handle much worse than the sims 3.
The only thing I can think of is deleting some CC, or maybe compressing it "by hand" with the compressorizer instead of only ticking the option in CC magic, which will take ages.

Do you have any other idea why that might happen?

Thank you, and sorry if my english isn't perfect, I'm hopelessly french.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 1:30 PM
Thank you! I will answer step by step.

1) yes I thought I might, that's why I tried removing and adding back my CC step by step in a new save, but no crash happened. Maybe it will happen only if I actually use the CC in game, not just having it installed I mean?
2) it's a regular 30x20 residential, and it still crashed on another lot that was smaller and pretty much empty.
3) I do try not to download high polycount CC, but I might still have some, especially in CAS. I don't know how to recognize it and how much is too much though...
4) oh okay, thanks for clearing that up! At least I won't have to do that tedious business.

Is there some sort of a limit to CC in Go? I currently have 25 Go of CC, is that too much?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 5:36 PM
Thank you. Is there a way to check the texture? I didn't find anything looking on Google.
My buy CC is mostly from AroundTheSims3, so I know it's safe, in build I do not have much and I am careful of polygon counts when downloading CAS CC. I try not to download anything above 5k polycounts.
So I really am wondering what is happening there...
Scholar
#9 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 9:20 PM
Hi there! I am not having crashing except when Windows 10 decides for some reason to try to install Office even though I don't own it & uninstalled the stub of it when we frankensteined this computer, but I am having some slow play and I've noticed on Task Manager that the computer maxes out disk usage whenever I open anything or close anything. What I have noticed is that, counter-intuitively, my game plays better in Windows 10 if I let the computer rest for ten or ifteen minutes after it finishes loading, and let it rest again at least 5 minutes after I go into or out of a lot or a big mode like Edit Town. I think Windows 10 is just kind of an idiot that thinks it should bring all its muscle to bear on every small problem and trips over its own feet because of it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Jan 2021 at 9:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
use S3PE to look at textures

Thanks! I did try opening a file in S3PE but I simply don't know what to look at, sorry... Could you point me in the right direction please?

I did two others test, opening my save without CAS CC, I was down to 1,7 of RAM used. And without BUY CC, down to 1,4. Considering I use a lot more buy CC than CAS, I think I might indeed have some high poly hair or clothes slowing my game down.
The only thing I can think of right now is to try and figure out which ones are high poly, delete some unused or rarely used CC, and try a new save in a medium map with not too cluttered lots.

Lucy, thank you for that! I will try it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Jan 2021 at 8:26 AM
Thank you so much! I just looked at a few objects, hairs and clothes. The objects seems mostly fine but some of the hair and clothes are 2048x2048. Is this too much? They're still DX5, whatever that means.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Jan 2021 at 10:23 AM Last edited by Lilidebergerac : 8th Jan 2021 at 12:00 PM.
I think my crash happened because my lots were too cluttered, and it didn't happen since I lowered my graphics settings.
But while I'm at it, I'm trying to reduce the RAM use of my save, so no more high texture clothes for my simmies! Thank you very much for all your help!